Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pedantic, but fair.

My use case is a little weird and I'm trying to cost-effectively address a few needs. Basically, I used to grill a good deal, but I stopped eating meat other than on rare occasions a few years ago, so my main need for a grill now is generally searing veggies. At the same time, I regularly go on dirtbag car camping trips with friends (e.g., go surfing/skiing for the weekend and sleep in or around our cars, arrive the night before at trailhead for a backpacking trip, etc.), where it would be nice to have a grill/griddle for hotdogs, veggies, etc. Also, propane is nice from a travel/time perspective and thought it might be nice to have the outdoor wok burner for stir-fries or other high-smoke activities when at home, so could kill two birds with one stone.

A buddy of mine who I camp with regularly has a coleman double-eye propane camp stove, which is nice in the wind, but it's quite cramped when trying to actually use and the heat does leave something to be desired for searing veggies.

I looked at the Q series, but it's ~$250, and then I have to worry about cleaning it out before putting it back in the car (which I might be sleeping in if the weather turns poor); cleaning/storing the cast iron would be much quicker/easier imo.

I looked at the Weber Go Anywhere Propane, but reviews are middling and, again, seems like it would be some work to clean out before being able to throw in the back of the car and head to next spot.

Haven't committed to anything; just trying to see if my cheapskate idea would be viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't see why a collapsible or just compact wok burner and a reasonably sized griddle wouldn't work for car camping. And certainly possible to do cheaper than a Skottle.

The main reason why I'm not really a fan of griddles is that the juices can't go anywhere, so things can tend to stew a bit. Obviously they're great for smashburgers and eggs and pancakes, but I really like kebabs and pork chops and such, and they work better on a grill. Peppers and other veggies too, in my experience.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 29, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bring a flat griddle for bacon & eggs and a ribbed griddle for burgers, steaks, & hdogs, problem solved.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lodge makes a cast iron griddle that’s flat on one side and ridged on the other and it fits perfectly on top of a Coleman stove.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco sells a non-stick aluminum griddle called The Rock Plus that is flat on one side and ridged on the other for like $20. Fits perfectly on your two burner camp stove.

Don't leave it on your camp stove unattended because aluminum can melt.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Over burner griddles are a great way to find out that you really really want a level surface to cook on, not a picnic table.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Also, if they aren't cast iron they can deform when heated and then you have a wonky griddle.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Over burner griddles are a great way to find out that you really really want a level surface to cook on, not a picnic table.

Lol that reminds me of a time when I went out with a new folding stove (fireant? firebox) and used it on a not-quote-flat-enough stone. Something shifted somehow and I lost my supper after it all tumbled. That would have been the end of it but for the luck of finding a clearly abandoned bag of food in a nearby tree. I took some and rehung the rest. Thanks forest food fairy!

X-post from other megathread, but I think I'm at the point in life where fast packing is the next thing to try. I've done trail runs before in the 20-30mi range, sometimes with gear, but never thought to deliberately combine it with camping. GG Virga 2 is on sale for 75 bux on Amazon and is light enough that I could get to a 10-12 lb base weight with the stuff I have. My lightest solo shelters are 40oz so there's room to go lower if the bug takes me...

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I love my griddle

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Slightly on topic. My new favorite camp cookware is the stuff from firebox stove.

Ive got a small set for luxurious backpacking and the larger set for car camping. All super high quality, the cutting board and ceramic heating stone work great. Just all around nice cookware for camping.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Brother Tadger posted:

So I went down the rabbit hole of trying to find a cheap outdoor grill that I could use for car camping that would provide easy clean up, etc. I went down the skottle hole and after getting some sticker shock, I think my half-baked solution is to buy an outdoor wok burner and a large cast iron griddle pan. How much am I going to hate myself?

I've been using this Char Broil camping grill with my field crew for years now. It's nothing special, but easy enough to clean if you don't cook hamburgers or brats or drippy meat straight on top. In 10 years, I've only replaced it once despite a shitload of use and riding around in the back of a truck full of gear for 3ish months every summer. I use it for pretty much everything, as does my crew. Veggies, brats, foil-wrapped burritos, pizzas, fish filets, just cans of soup with the top opened, etc.

The igniter will stop working after the first time you use it, but it's plenty easy to just lift the grate and hold a match or lighter to the element. If you're really packing tight, the regulator can be popped off and stored inside.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Slightly on topic. My new favorite camp cookware is the stuff from firebox stove.

Ive got a small set for luxurious backpacking and the larger set for car camping. All super high quality, the cutting board and ceramic heating stone work great. Just all around nice cookware for camping.

Speaking of, I vaguely seem to remember that someone was going to try and put together a group buy of those cute little fireboxes that got popular with the Yurucamp anime a few years back, did that ever happen?

These things: http://eng.sho-s.jp/a4.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Brother Tadger posted:

So I went down the rabbit hole of trying to find a cheap outdoor grill that I could use for car camping that would provide easy clean up, etc. I went down the skottle hole and after getting some sticker shock, I think my half-baked solution is to buy an outdoor wok burner and a large cast iron griddle pan. How much am I going to hate myself?

You should check out cooking with a discada! Full caveat in that I don't own one yet, but It's basically a wok shaped griddle (literally a plow disc with handles welded on). You have a high heat zone in the center for cooking, and then a gradient as you go towards the edges. This means you can slide whatever you're done cooking off to the side to keep it warm! Cleanup is like cast iron, you just scrape it clean, then spritz some water to steam sterilize and rub dry. Once you get a nice season, it's naturally nonstick with no PFAS or other lovely forever chemicals

Plus if you're cooking with a group, you can stand anywhere to chat with people instead of being at a weird angle to the conversation

Oh, and the best part is you can turn it into an oven! Just pop a grate in so the food is elevated and off direct heat, a bit of water in the bottom to steam cook, cover with a large domed lid, and voila!

I think Southwest and Temba are two big suppliers for the outdoors crowd, but it's literally a welded plow disc, so there's also a ton of cheaper stuff out there. I just think they're super neat and I really want one... so much so I think I just talked myself into buying one after google showed me that a wok ring is the thing I'd need to stabilize it on my camp grill

E: you already said skottle, I totally glossed right over that

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 4, 2023

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

gonna go out on a limb here and say that the High Sierra (by my definition, the mountains from Mammoth Lakes to Lone Pine) are completely snowfucked for backpacking. hope to arrange some day hikes out there July 4th weekend, anyway. I'll bring snowshoes, crampons, and an ice ax...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We have a Reliance 7gal aquatainer and its valve started leaking after just one season of use, it's annoying cause we have to tip it down every time we use it and then tip it back up. I replaced the valve and it's still leaky! Any recommendations for a more durable big water thing for car camping?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

alnilam posted:

We have a Reliance 7gal aquatainer and its valve started leaking after just one season of use, it's annoying cause we have to tip it down every time we use it and then tip it back up. I replaced the valve and it's still leaky! Any recommendations for a more durable big water thing for car camping?

The Scepter 5 gallon containers are way more expensive but don't leak. I have had 2 of them for maybe 4 years now and they've been great. I have the 7 gallon Reliance ones too, and mine aren't leaking but it's only a matter of time.

Another option might be to try to find a gasket or something to better seal the reliance one.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah i might try a smidge of teflon tape and/or extra gasket, good idea. Otherwise maybe I'll check out that other one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

alnilam posted:

This is another thing I use for field work. I have to buy one or two new ones every other year to keep my inventory of 6 maintained. The new ones with red caps are better, but we still usually just get used to tipping them back up. Teflon tape does work, but it's really only good for one trip unless you don't stow your spout.

The scepter ones are beefy and do not leak. I find them harder to pack and store for the way I keep my camp set up and boats rigged. The other thing is I haven't found a way to conveniently have them sitting on a table or tailgate to just use the tap like a faucet.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
There's a scepter pour spout too, just a separate purchase. I use mine on the table all the time with that. It's a bit less stable than the reliant container because it's thinner, but I've never had one tip over.

I had the two scepter containers first, and got the reliant ones for larger group trips to have enough water for several days at camp. A side effect of that is that I can use the reliant ones to refill the scepter ones, which keeps wear and tear down on the reliant ones.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The thing about the reliance ones that chaps my rear end is that the spouts never line up perfectly. Even when they're brand new, the spout always turns a few degrees past pointing straight down, and the more use they get the farther they turn. I'm going to try one of their newest redesigned ones with the more recessed caps this year and see if they've improved that. This might be the year I get Specters though, I didnt know about the pour spout. Wish they weren't so pricey.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've had a reliance jerry can since 2018 or 19 and it's held up alright. Better than I remember the blue ones ever being at least.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think there were some people in this thread a while ago recommending a jacket (REI?) that was great for nights or cooler temps in general, wasn’t heavy, packed down pretty well. I remember it didn’t seem expensive either somehow. What was that?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

The Rei 650 down jacket?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Quixotic1 posted:

The Rei 650 down jacket?
That was it. Thanks!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

armorer posted:

The Scepter 5 gallon containers are way more expensive but don't leak. I have had 2 of them for maybe 4 years now and they've been great. I have the 7 gallon Reliance ones too, and mine aren't leaking but it's only a matter of time.

Another option might be to try to find a gasket or something to better seal the reliance one.

Oh yeah! This is exactly what we bought a few years ago and can confirm, the Scepter HDPE water jugs are the best thing we've found. I wish the form factor was more square, and I would love to find a twist open cap so I could lay it on its side and use it like a sink, but otherwise it's been a really great container!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Catatron Prime posted:

Oh yeah! This is exactly what we bought a few years ago and can confirm, the Scepter HDPE water jugs are the best thing we've found. I wish the form factor was more square, and I would love to find a twist open cap so I could lay it on its side and use it like a sink, but otherwise it's been a really great container!

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/hydration/hydration-accessories/nrs-scepter-nozzle-for-water-containers/p/1434901

This is the pour spout for the scepter cans. Works great.

Edit:

On their own website - https://www.scepter.com/products/military-products/military-accessories/military-water-can-dispenser-spout-10266/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oh that's perfect, exactly I was looking for! I even appreciate that it's on a little dingus end, that extra flexibility seems like it'll be perfect for filling larger containers or doing dishes!

Only bummed it won't be here for a trip this weekend. But at least the weatherstripping came in, so I'll be able to get the Plano gear bins weatherproofed at any rate.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Just going to say that last time I went camping in February, I had a Paria down quilt, sleeping pad, and tent, and I was okay when it got a little below 20°F that night. Probably as cold as I want to push it without getting some heavier cold weather gear, but pleased with how it did in that kind of stress testing.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Posting to report that we finally took our Copper Spur UL3 tent out for its first adventure (which was a car camping trip with our 13-month-old, which maybe wasn't the best test of its ultralite-ness), and I am very grateful to the goons who both recommended the tent, and insisted we get a footprint for it because wow, y'all were not kidding; the floor of this thing is so fragile. We didn't put any holes in it but it would not be hard to achieve.

I also took out the REI Co-op flexlite camp chair, which my friend insisted was lighter than REI claims it is. I haven't put it on a scale to test it, but I don't care; it was so comfortable, it's coming with me on every backpacking trip from now on. Also picked up an REI picnic blanket on impulse during the sale, and while the fleece is clingy and not my favorite, I don't have buyer's remorse.

We are currently working up the courage to take the kiddo backpacking. I think our gear is up to the task and this was a great trial run.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You can do it!
Speaking of kiddo kamping, thanks to whoever recommended a baby snowsuit as a sleeping bag for our 5 month old. I found a nice Columbia one for a great deal at a used gear shop, it worked great and we could even use it after wakeup in the morning when it was cold out. Feeling good about backpacking this Sept with the 4yo and the bebe.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
im trying to find a collapsible water container (10L or so) with the same size opening as a nalgene bottle (2.5") . any thoughts on where to find this?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I think I answered my own question with this: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Watercell-Lightweight-Camping/dp/B0B7YTSYM6

but definitely interested in cheaper, unbranded alternatives

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Think the msr dromedary and dromelite bags have that size opening on their 3 in 1 cap. Though some people have complained about the taste in them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bea Nanner posted:

I think I answered my own question with this: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Watercell-Lightweight-Camping/dp/B0B7YTSYM6

but definitely interested in cheaper, unbranded alternatives

It's not cheaper, but the hydrapaks seem to be pretty decent from what I saw with other people using them. I was debating picking up ahydrapak for the BeFree water filter awhile back, but just kept using clean sawyer bags instead to store treated water because they're light, cheap, and pack well.

Unfortunately the sawyer bags don't fit what you're looking for though, with the downside being the small screw cap opening.

The Geigerrig hydration pack also opens up fully along the top and should be able to be cleaned. I was never able to get the chemical bag taste out of mine, despite repeated warm soapy water cleanings and scrubbing. But I'm also biased against hydration packs to begin with so maybe the residual chemical taste is just normal? Or even was residing elsewhere in the system that I didn't clean well enough (like the lines or something).

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Beezus posted:

Posting to report that we finally took our Copper Spur UL3 tent out for its first adventure (which was a car camping trip with our 13-month-old, which maybe wasn't the best test of its ultralite-ness), and I am very grateful to the goons who both recommended the tent, and insisted we get a footprint for it because wow, y'all were not kidding; the floor of this thing is so fragile. We didn't put any holes in it but it would not be hard to achieve.

I also took out the REI Co-op flexlite camp chair, which my friend insisted was lighter than REI claims it is. I haven't put it on a scale to test it, but I don't care; it was so comfortable, it's coming with me on every backpacking trip from now on. Also picked up an REI picnic blanket on impulse during the sale, and while the fleece is clingy and not my favorite, I don't have buyer's remorse.

We are currently working up the courage to take the kiddo backpacking. I think our gear is up to the task and this was a great trial run.

:hfive: and yeah, the floor is fragile. Our dog tore a hole in the bottom digging a bed but some gear tape fixed it up pretty easily.

Love the flexlite backpacking chair; I picked one up during the most recent sale and I’ll never not take it on another trip.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Freaquency posted:

:hfive: and yeah, the floor is fragile. Our dog tore a hole in the bottom digging a bed but some gear tape fixed it up pretty easily.

I have a backpacking trip (sans kiddo) coming up and am planning on taking my in-law's ginormous golden retriever, but I think I want to take my cheap Amazon 1P tent instead of the Copper Spur for this reason. Not that I need a 3 person tent for me and a dog... it sounds nice. But I just know one of her claws will poke through the floor.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, what the heck. REI discontinued the helio sack just as I was about to grab one with this three-day coupon.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Freaquency posted:

Love the flexlite backpacking chair; I picked one up during the most recent sale and I’ll never not take it on another trip.

We picked up a pair of the even lighter flexlite airs when they were on a members only super sale last year. I will gladly take the 1 pound hit for the ability to pull out the chair and eat lunch mid-hike in comfort, and to sit like a human at camp. I must admit I am a little worried about the durability as a 200 pounder. But I don't throw myself down into it, and so far it is holding up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not really backpacking friendly but I was recently camping with some Canadians and they had chairs made by Woods. It was a giant padded bowl design and it was easily the most comfortable camping chair I've ever used.. to the point I've been thinking of getting a couple to replace our Coleman chairs.

Just look at that:

https://www.woodscanada.com/products/woods-strathcona-fully-padded-folding-camping-bucket-chair-dijon

You gonna settle around the fire in that bad boy and never want to stand up again.

They don't make a backpacking version unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

xzzy posted:

Not really backpacking friendly but I was recently camping with some Canadians and they had chairs made by Woods. It was a giant padded bowl design and it was easily the most comfortable camping chair I've ever used.. to the point I've been thinking of getting a couple to replace our Coleman chairs.

Just look at that:

https://www.woodscanada.com/products/woods-strathcona-fully-padded-folding-camping-bucket-chair-dijon

You gonna settle around the fire in that bad boy and never want to stand up again.

They don't make a backpacking version unfortunately.

Looks damned cozy but holy poo poo, the photo of it slung on someone's back! That thing is massive.