Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nitrousoxide posted:

It shouldn't be. You can litigate in any federal court as long as you are a member of the Federal Bar. You don't need to be a member of the state bar in which that federal court sits.

Not exactly. There's no such thing as the "Federal Bar," in the sense of an organization that handles the admission and discipline of federal lawyers. You're still a member of the bar of some state, and you're most commonly a member of the bar of the state the federal court is in, and if so you just apply to be a member of the bar of that federal court (it's a bureaucratic formality, you don't need to sit another bar exam or anything). For out-of-state lawyers, you can apply to be admitted to the bar of the federal court "pro hac vice" for just the one case if you're barred in another state.

So the indictment being in SDFL instead of DDC isn't a reason he changed lawyers. The lawyers bring frustrated at Boris's gatekeeping and at Trump not listening to them are why they noped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

They are flailing about so wildly, it's almost getting sad.

"But Hilary and Biden should be hanged for having documents!" Okay, so T should be hanged first, at least before Biden. Bidens trial can be scheduled for 3yr after he leaves office, but since he hasn't even been impeached...

"No! Impeach, indict, electric chair. Biden weaponized justice!" The judge granted the search warrant, another judge held things up with a special master, another special master led the investigation. Biden was in Ireland; you remember, you were bitching about it endlessly.

"But Garland... must be impeached!" For letting the 24 Florida citizens of the grand jury act in accordance with the laws of the US?

"But this is election interference, top contender, political :supaburn:" For crimes committed and investigations started months before an announcement, doesn't yet have a primary nomination, for an election 18mo away?

"Lib can't count, it's only 17mo away! Haha checkmate, innocent!" Right, it was 37, now it's 38 (who knows), it was 34 in April, and 37 more in June. And $5M going on ten. :fsmug:

As ever they are just tipping their hand on what they're gonna do when they take power again.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CapnAndy posted:

I don't believe that, and here's why: He knows Nixon got $18 million for his classified documents.

He knows that. It's a fact that's actually been retained in his dementia-riddled, destroyed by strokes, functionally illiterate, low capacity brain.That means it's extremely important to him.

I think the high probability bet is that he heard about that payout at some point, his mind latched onto it, and he got it fixed in his head that "classified documents = money", and from there you figure that with inflation, and also how Nixon is a sucker and got a bad deal (because everyone who isn't him is a sucker) but as a business genius he'll be able to get a much better one... I think he expected he'd be able to hold them for a few years, stonewall the requests, and then when the government came begging, make a big beautiful deal for the documents, the best deal, other presidents have been treated very unfairly but we'll get a really good deal won't we folks

i think you're absolutely dead on about Donald Trump's thought process

please seek therapy

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 40 hours!)

AsInHowe posted:

That's a lot of espionage!

And that's terrible.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

I don't believe that, and here's why: He knows Nixon got $18 million for his classified documents.

Please let it be Roger Stone who suggested this to him.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looking up the Nixon thing:

“Shortly after Nixon’s resignation in 1974, Congress decreed that the General Services Administration, the parent agency of the National Archives, should seize all his White House recordings and papers to guarantee that Nixon would not destroy them.”

Great precedent there.

Also:
“Besides the $6 million for Nixon’s library, Nixon’s attorneys, led by Herbert J. Miller, will receive $7.4 million, and approximately $3.7 million will go for estate and other federal taxes. After administrative expenses, less than 0.5% will be distributed to Nixon’s family.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jun-13-mn-40455-story.html

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

nimby posted:

Trump famously appeared on (international) television to showcase his competence though.

"Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV."

Please enter the drawn clock into evidence

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

cr0y posted:

How do you even begin to build a defense strategy for this lol.

You try to invalidate - claim a recording is inadmissible, witness is not credible, delay trials, file endless appeals. The plan is to run out the clock and get re-elected.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’d probably argue that “boxes” are not “secret documents” despite the prosecution trying to use the terms interchangeably and that Trump is allowed to have boxes of personal papers and move them around.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I got it, they're going to make a paper mache glove out of the top secret nuclear documents and use the "if the glove doesn't fit you must acquit" defense. The jury will eat it up and he'll be back to playing golf at his Florida mansion in no time.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I thought the weakest part of the indictment was the “plucking gesture” part. A nonverbal gesture and it’s subjective interpretation is alot to hang piercing the attorney-client privilege on. I’m assuming they have stranger evidence backstopping this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I thought the weakest part of the indictment was the “plucking gesture” part. A nonverbal gesture and it’s subjective interpretation is alot to hang piercing the attorney-client privilege on. I’m assuming they have stranger evidence backstopping this.

They have tons more evidence. The indictment just has to give a reasonable basis for charging him. The trial is going to be hilariously ugly.

Also, the fact that he apparently had lots of Iranian classified material combined with his and Jared's links to Saudi Arabia gives me the feeling that they're involved in this somewhere. DoJ may be deliberately avoiding that end of it for national security reasons, though. Something I'll be watching for, anyway.

ETA:

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1667296912943493120

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 10, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 40 hours!)

Lordy, there *are* tapes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Red posted:

You try to invalidate - claim a recording is inadmissible, witness is not credible, delay trials, file endless appeals. The plan is to run out the clock and get re-elected.

My guess is the Cannon goes ham on trying to get the tapes invalidated before she gets removed since they are the most obvious ‘smoking’ gun and the case is laughably impossible rather than just impossible for trump while that’s admissible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheDisreputableDog posted:

https://twitter.com/clarkkathleen/status/1667483732188471296?s=20

This was an interesting take. Basically yeah there are a few good reasons to suspect this is just the first indictment, with more likely to come covering other activity outside Florida. It seems more aimed at a trial for Nauta than a trial for Trump.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 10, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think I heard the same take last night on NBC or something from one of their talking heads. That the feds putting that assistant's name right there front and center next to the shitstain is to remind him that he can still cooperate because he's just an average Joe compared to the self-declared billionaire genius, and doesn't have any of the resources the other guy has.

e: On a tangent, I just watched Legal Eagle's video on the lawyers who used ChatGPT to fabricate cases and lol. I hope the defense hires them.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Violent J is very supportive of his furry daughter.

edit:

I'd feel safer at the Gathering than I would a trump rally.

Iirc they also spoke about their earlier work being misogynist, edgy and dumb and that they grew up and apologized for it. Not unlike the Beastie Boys. Trying to be better people and all that, i respect that.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1667162473021964290?s=20

I'm sure nothing will happen to him, but an sitting rep loosely calling for another insurrection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

heard u like girls posted:

Iirc they also spoke about their earlier work being misogynist, edgy and dumb and that they grew up and apologized for it. Not unlike the Beastie Boys. Trying to be better people and all that, i respect that.

IIRC they re-released a lot of the older tracks too replacing the n-word with ninja and so greeting fellow juggalos as "my ninja" became a thing for a bit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just listened to Popehat’s podcast and it’s definitely got the doomer take if you are interested:
* Cannon will probably stay the judge because she did the previous case
* She can definitely delay/destroythe case with bad rulings, like saying that attorney client privilege shouldn’t have been breached so all that evidence is out
* She can decide the case for the defense after the jury is seated, which is not reviewable and subject to double jeopardy so no retrial.
* She could do a bench trial so there is no jury.
* Best case is she does something that gets reviewed by the 11th Circuit and is so bad they send the case to a different judge as a result

So basically the best defense is the judge being corrupt. Great.

gregday
May 23, 2003

smackfu posted:

Just listened to Popehat’s podcast and it’s definitely got the doomer take if you are interested:
* She can definitely delay/destroythe case with bad rulings, like saying that attorney client privilege shouldn’t have been breached so all that evidence is out
* She can decide the case for the defense after the jury is seated, which is not reviewable and subject to double jeopardy so no retrial.
* Best case is she does something that gets reviewed by the 11th Circuit and is so bad they send the case to a different judge as a result

I don’t know. Reinhart was the judge for the search warrant. Cannon was the judge in a civil suit brought by Trump where she didn’t even have jurisdiction to oversee it. Her involvement was never a legit part of this.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

smackfu posted:

Thanks for this, I don’t mean to be doomerish about it, I’m happy as hell about the last few days but also don’t want to be too blindsided if some fuckery happens

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: On a tangent, I just watched Legal Eagle's video on the lawyers who used ChatGPT to fabricate cases and lol. I hope the defense hires them.

That's Season 2 of the Trump Trials.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC they re-released a lot of the older tracks too replacing the n-word with ninja and so greeting fellow juggalos as "my ninja" became a thing for a bit

Lol that's pretty great, ngl

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Snowy posted:

Thanks for this, I don’t mean to be doomerish about it, I’m happy as hell about the last few days but also don’t want to be too blindsided if some fuckery happens

I've taken this approach:

ALWAYS assume fuckery. Always. And if it doesn't happen then you'll be pleasantly surprised, and if it does happen, you expected it anyway.

Its helped me keep my sanity.

I'm going to assume worst case scenario and assume the deck is stacked in his favor in every possible way from the start.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's worth noting that one of Trump's Friday MAGA-Twitter posts thanked his old lawyers, so apparently they parted on good terms.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Is there a legal reason to suppose he'll be released after booking? Or is it just assumed because he's thought to be powerful?

Is there any possibility trump spends the week in jail?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

smackfu posted:

….

Yeah White and Barro are specifically addressing the tweet going around that says Cannon being appointed is no big deal. He pointed out that Cannon can acquit from the bench and even if it’s appealed you can’t have another trial so he gets off. If she does this there’s no way to jail him. And White said that he doesn’t find it that unlikely because the reasons a judge wouldn’t do this are:

1. The respect of their colleagues
2. Their ability to get promoted
3. Their legacy.

White points out that it’s likely Cannon doesn’t give a poo poo about #3 and theres increasingly a number of judges who are willing to play legal Calvinball in order to throw elbows at their opponents. His final asessment is “Who knows”.

This has been your regularly scheduled doomer post.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Uglycat posted:

Is there a legal reason to suppose he'll be released after booking? Or is it just assumed because he's thought to be powerful?

Is there any possibility trump spends the week in jail?

Wouldn't he need to be a flight risk to be denied bail?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

heard u like girls posted:

I mean, you can still buy their seminal, insightful collaboration with ODB, "Bitches". They're still able to make money from it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

EasilyConfused posted:

Wouldn't he need to be a flight risk to be denied bail?

Have any other people been released after being booked for espianage?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ryde posted:

Yeah White and Barro are specifically addressing the tweet going around that says Cannon being appointed is no big deal. He pointed out that Cannon can acquit from the bench and even if it’s appealed you can’t have another trial so he gets off. If she does this there’s no way to jail him. And White said that he doesn’t find it that unlikely because the reasons a judge wouldn’t do this are:

1. The respect of their colleagues
2. Their ability to get promoted
3. Their legacy.

White points out that it’s likely Cannon doesn’t give a poo poo about #3 and theres increasingly a number of judges who are willing to play legal Calvinball in order to throw elbows at their opponents. His final asessment is “Who knows”.

This has been your regularly scheduled doomer post.

I'm quite certain that Smith has considered this possibility, and will have contingency plans in place to deal with it. He's not going to just shrug his shoulders and walk away.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Uglycat posted:

Have any other people been released after being booked for espianage?

He's surrounded by the Secret Service at all times. He's not a flight risk.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Deteriorata posted:

I'm quite certain that Smith has considered this possibility, and will have contingency plans in place to deal with it. He's not going to just shrug his shoulders and walk away.

Their point is that he had no choice and he doesn’ have a contingency.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

He's surrounded by the Secret Service at all times. He's not a flight risk.

You can imagine though, shaving his head and growing a moustache, trying to just drive over the Mexico border in a secret service car.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ryde posted:

I only listened to the free part, how exactly do they know he doesn't have a contingency?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ryde posted:

Perhaps he has another large binder labeled "MYCRIMES2.TXT" and will refile a new set of charges for other stuff he's done. We don't know what Smith's actually got. Hyperventilating about the certainty of the worst-case scenario is unnecessary.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Deteriorata posted:

Hyperventilating about the certainty of the worst-case scenario is unnecessary.

It's the goon way

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps he has another large binder labeled "MYCRIMES2.TXT" and will refile a new set of charges for other stuff he's done. We don't know what Smith's actually got. Hyperventilating about the certainty of the worst-case scenario is unnecessary.

That's possible but if any of the second batch of crimes shared substantial common elements he'd likely get acquitted due to double jeopardy laws

And we're living in the worst case universe. Cannon can exonerate trump and has already shown she'd like to do so.

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's possible but if any of the second batch of crimes shared substantial common elements he'd likely get acquitted due to double jeopardy laws

I'm going to assume Jack Smith knows and understands the law a lot better than any of us.