Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Astryl posted:

I said two active skills.

I don't understand the meaning of active here. If I'm a necro with summon skeletons, summon golem, left click bone spirit, right click curse, then F key hotkeys for something like bone wall or utility whatever, is that not more than 2 active skills? They're not on a QoL-improved single hotkey but I'm still using them all at any point while out in the field instead of pausing to respec and reset my keys. Is that not active?

By contrast in D4 you can never have a single point in raven, wolves and ivy and throw them up in town and then swap their hotkeys to Earth Barrier, Trample, etc. And that's why I'd want 7-8 hotkeys in D4, since 6 feels a bit constraining. At least they got rid of the D3 design where you'd have 4-5 buttons on some characters like Wizards(enchant weapon/familiar, with no activation button press!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Astryl posted:

My point is more that I'm struggling at least on my Ice Shards build to see how I would need more skills? I don't feel like I'm gaining much by having additional skills but am losing out due to cooldowns.

With the Nature's Fury key passive on Druid I would love to have like, all the skills slotted so I could constantly be slinging rocks and wind and lightning.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
All the best PoE builds don't require any buttons at all (righteous fire)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

The limitation of six skills may have to do with consoles/controllers

It could also simply be an intentional restriction to provide more decision making for the player.

I don't think anyone wants to juggle a dozen active skills and a dozen passives with 1-2 actives is poo poo design too. The limitation was present in D3 too which was before the series was on consoles.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Doomykins posted:

I don't understand the meaning of active here. If I'm a necro with summon skeletons, summon golem, left click bone spirit, right click curse, then F key hotkeys for something like bone wall or utility whatever, is that not more than 2 active skills? They're not on a QoL-improved single hotkey but I'm still using them all at any point while out in the field instead of pausing to respec and reset my keys. Is that not active?

By contrast in D4 you can never have a single point in raven, wolves and ivy and throw them up in town and then swap their hotkeys to Earth Barrier, Trample, etc. And that's why I'd want 7-8 hotkeys in D4, since 6 feels a bit constraining. At least they got rid of the D3 design where you'd have 4-5 buttons on some characters like Wizards(enchant weapon/familiar, with no activation button press!)

D2 you can realistically only cast 2 skills at any given time (although there are hacky ways around this to an extent).

D3 & D4: You can literally button mash six buttons to make colorful explosions.

I have never in my time playing D3 or D4 felt like I did not have enough access to my skills and cannot understand how people are feeling that way unless that's just carry over from MMOs and PoE.

(To be fair, I only play meta builds and don't theory craft or build my own skill bars in any game that I play. Other people with more time on their hands can do that).

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Alright I get that.

And I just think 7 buttons would feel better than 6, especially since there are a lot of skills that offer interesting utility but they can't compete with the all stars for limited slots.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I still think it’s at least partly due to controller limitations. They’d have to implement a shift key system for any more skills.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Controllers have been figured out for ages now. People play ff14 on controller and that's an MMO where you can have several dozen buttons.

Just holding a shoulder button + face buttons would give you an extra 16 actions easily.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

D2R introduced full quick cast in a later patch. Nearly unlimited (12?) bindable hot keys that cast the spell on press, no more hot key to assign and click to use. It’s great! IIRC not enabled by default though.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

So people have been speculating that Blizzard removed Shako and Grandfather from the game because no one has gotten them to drop but

https://twitter.com/AZJackson85/status/1667270064545103872

I guess there is a whole class of ultra rare Uniques that serve as chase items. doesn't sound like i'll ever get my hands on one of these

I don't believe this for the first second. It's like Sean Murray saying the universe in no man's sky is too big for 2 players to ever find each other. Those drops are either bugged or not enabled yet. D4 has so many turbo poopsocking clout chasers champing at the bit to go WORLD FIRST SHAKO LOOK AT ME that we would have had evidence of them by now.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Clocks posted:

Controllers have been figured out for ages now. People play ff14 on controller and that's an MMO where you can have several dozen buttons.

Just holding a shoulder button + face buttons would give you an extra 16 actions easily.

yeah this isn't a controller limitation at all. 3-6 active abilities just seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of games and is probably a lot easier to balance around. If there's cool abilities that you have clearly better options for then that's a balance or buildcrafting thing, not a hotkey thing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I appreciate not having to think about more than six things, personally.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok I'm 50 with some paragon levels and I'm looking to actually start paying attention to gear and getting ready for the capstone dungeon. So is the play at this point to just do whispering tree stuff and dungeons for gear, find stuff with good rolls (for me), then imprint codex/aspects as needed?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I wondered why my damage plummeted and have to google to see they disabled the bleed on berserk hit aspect??? What the gently caress, I instantly lost several damage modifiers and I suck now lmao.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank god this game doesn’t have auras

I guess war cries are auras

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Bind a spare mouse button to force move, it doesn't interact with any of the UI elements.
It also lets you move more easily between enemies while on the horse, and off it.

Nice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ok I'm 50 with some paragon levels and I'm looking to actually start paying attention to gear and getting ready for the capstone dungeon. So is the play at this point to just do whispering tree stuff and dungeons for gear, find stuff with good rolls (for me), then imprint codex/aspects as needed?

Try the dungeon you should be fine

Uniques don’t drop until wt3 afaict and you what them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Black Griffon posted:

I appreciate not having to think about more than six things, personally.

Yeah, same. D3 only had 6 slots and it was fine. This isn't FF14. I think there's balancing to be done to make some of those lesser chosen abilities more worth using but having to make a build with limited slots is kind of the whole thing here.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yes!

get wt3 ASAP, like right now. Will be hard but you need sacred gear. do renown and dungeon whispers and (in wt3) helltides.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I love that people are wondering if and where and how Shako, grandfather, etc. drop.

The EXACT same thing happened when LoD released for D2. I remember sitting in a computer lab at school reading forum threads about where people found Windforce and speculating on drop rates and zone restrictions. The items felt truly mythic. It rules then and it rules now.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

euphronius posted:

Thank god this game doesn’t have auras

I guess war cries are auras

what about Incense

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok skill auras

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

J posted:

I don't believe this for the first second. It's like Sean Murray saying the universe in no man's sky is too big for 2 players to ever find each other. Those drops are either bugged or not enabled yet. D4 has so many turbo poopsocking clout chasers champing at the bit to go WORLD FIRST SHAKO LOOK AT ME that we would have had evidence of them by now.

i see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_5yPkzOHU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

euphronius posted:

Try the dungeon you should be fine

Uniques don’t drop until wt3 afaict and you what them

All right I’ll do some quick upgrades and I print and throw myself at the capstone before sinking any time chasing gear.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

(having said that, we now know what the D2 drop rates were at launch, and there were surely plenty of the elite uniques dropping. Count me as skeptical about their existence/drop rate in D4 given how many are poopsocking. They may be gated to like, level 100? or certain regions/bosses/etc. There’s no mathematical way that they’re in the normal lvl 70 WT4 loot table)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It'd be pretty funny if the rare rates were based on how many players were in the game at any given time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s an online only game. They can probably adjust drop rates dynamically without patches.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

I wondered why my damage plummeted and have to google to see they disabled the bleed on berserk hit aspect??? What the gently caress, I instantly lost several damage modifiers and I suck now lmao.

I tried to do a normal dungeon and it’s so slow, character is unplayable unless I rebuild them completely, so many effects based off bleed.

Of all the bullshit of always online, MMO crap, I didn’t anticipate they’d completely brick my character because someone somewhere is exploiting, god I don’t care. So I get to not play the game until they fix it, I’m not gonna rebuild or start over now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone else having issues with nightmare sigil diversity? It seems like the same 10 or so dungeons drop for me over and over.

Does it only give you sigils for dungeons you've finished or something?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I finally finished the campaign. Perhaps they should have called the game Mephisto IV. The story was ok, and I know I'll be fried for this but I enjoyed D3's story better. I don't think Lilith is an interesting villain. She just spends the whole game strutting around and being menacing. Good expansion bait though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The true payoff of a new Diablo game.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I don't know if this is helpful for anyone else, but you can clear the unread marker for the store by mousing over each of the "For You" sets until they've all been marked as seen.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

BabyRyoga posted:

Anyone else having issues with nightmare sigil diversity? It seems like the same 10 or so dungeons drop for me over and over.

I noticed that too, I wonder if not all dungeons have a NM version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I don't know if this is helpful for anyone else, but you can clear the unread marker for the store by mousing over each of the "For You" sets until they've all been marked as seen.

You can also just buy everything in the store.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

I noticed that too, I wonder if not all dungeons have a NM version.

They don't. I assume it's something that'll get patched in over time/seasons, although I'm not quite sure why only some of them get NM versions in the first place. Might just be the more "standard" dungeons that can't be skipped through as easily

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

No, I've got sigils for dungeons that I haven't even revealed on the map that it won't let me use til I find them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SettingSun posted:

I finally finished the campaign. Perhaps they should have called the game Mephisto IV. The story was ok, and I know I'll be fried for this but I enjoyed D3's story better. I don't think Lilith is an interesting villain. She just spends the whole game strutting around and being menacing. Good expansion bait though.

Uh how much reading do you actually do???? That story was terrible!!!

(Kidding, you are entitled to your opinion, I can't understand it but it's yours and you own it :) )

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It seems as if there are only a dozen or so instances that can be NM dungeons.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah there's only like, idk 18 or 20 or something NM dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Servers are laggy as poo poo right now for me