Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ah! My Goddess: The Movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Wings of Desire

Yeah, this. My favorite Wenders film by a country mile.

The sequel, Faraway, So Close!, isn't nearly as good, but it's still very watchable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Probably a bit of a change up but if you’re already watching The Sky Over Berlin / Wings of Desire you might enjoy:

Defending Your Life
A Matter of Life and Death

Also Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Angels in the Outfield

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Action Jacktion posted:

I think you mean The Seventh Sign, but The Seventh Seal works if you consider Death to be an angel.

yes that is exactly the one i meant. thank you

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Okua posted:

Me and some friends are selecting movies to watch based on a loose theme, and this time it's angels. The criteria is that there must be an angel and he/she/it must be on screen. Already planning to watch The Sky Over Berlin and Constantine - any genre and time is welcome.

Frank Capra’s It’s A Wonderful Life, a classic.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Dogma

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Fallen (1998)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

City of Angels (yes it's a remake of Wings of Desire, but it's got Nicholas Cage!)
Fallen (the one with Denzel and John Goodman and James Galdofini)
A Life Less Ordinary (Delroy Lindo and Holly Hunter play bumbling angels)
Michael (Travolta plays an angel come to Earth, it's a rom-com-ish movie)
Earth Angel (Mark Hammill is in this one, it's also a silly 80s flick directed by the late Joe Napolitano)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Okua posted:

Me and some friends are selecting movies to watch based on a loose theme, and this time it's angels. The criteria is that there must be an angel and he/she/it must be on screen. Already planning to watch The Sky Over Berlin and Constantine - any genre and time is welcome.

The Heavenly Kid

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Recommend me some Peter Sellers movies.

I watched Being There over the weekend and loved it, and it gave me the itch to dig into the lesser-known movies.

I've seen the Kubricks. I've seen a few Clouseau capers but I don't remember any of them, so maybe a recommendation on where to stop with those would be fun.

I plan to work in The Ghost of Peter Sellers in there, but I feel like it would be more interesting after watching a few more films of his first.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Franchescanado posted:

Recommend me some Peter Sellers movies.

I watched Being There over the weekend and loved it, and it gave me the itch to dig into the lesser-known movies.

I've seen the Kubricks. I've seen a few Clouseau capers but I don't remember any of them, so maybe a recommendation on where to stop with those would be fun.

I plan to work in The Ghost of Peter Sellers in there, but I feel like it would be more interesting after watching a few more films of his first.

The Mouse that Roared is my favorite Sellers.

Just a good ol’ fashioned comedy.

And Kind Hearts and Coronets if you just want him playing every role.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Magic Christian! Peter Sellers is a millionaire, Ringo Starr is the homeless man he adopted as his son, and together they use their riches to get up to shenanigans

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

And Kind Hearts and Coronets if you just want him playing every role.

I added Mouse That Roared, but I believe you're mistaking Alec Guinness for him in Kind Hearts.

Gripweed posted:

The Magic Christian! Peter Sellers is a millionaire, Ringo Starr is the homeless man he adopted as his son, and together they use their riches to get up to shenanigans

The novel this is based on is very funny, so I'll check it out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

The novel this is based on is very funny, so I'll check it out.

IMO it’s definitely one of the cases where the movie is better than the book.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Franchescanado posted:

but I believe you're mistaking Alec Guinness for him in Kind Hearts.

What no I can remember it so vividly I'm su - *trivial google*

Brains are weird yo.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Inspired by some podcasts I’ve heard recently about the supernatural and especially Bigfoot, I’m looking for a movie that’s about seeing something unexplainable (especially in the woods) and then the complicated aftermath of talking about this traumatic event and people thinking you’re crazy. The less violence involved the better.

I dunno that there is such a movie though - this type of horror movie too often just devolves into a slasher, ala Blair witch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Inspired by some podcasts I’ve heard recently about the supernatural and especially Bigfoot, I’m looking for a movie that’s about seeing something unexplainable (especially in the woods) and then the complicated aftermath of talking about this traumatic event and people thinking you’re crazy. The less violence involved the better.

I dunno that there is such a movie though - this type of horror movie too often just devolves into a slasher, ala Blair witch

The UFO Incident, starring James Earl Jones, about the Barney and Betty Hill encounter. It's largely about a guy coming to terms with the fact that something happened to him which he can't explain, lots of therapy and emotions and such.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's not bigfoot, but maybe The Mothman Prophecies? Richard Gere's character tries to unwind and investigate the insubstantial and doesn't ever get truly satisfying answers.

Also, perhaps The Fourth Kind with Milla Jovovich? Will Patton's supporting character seems especially broken from his experiences if I remember.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 4, 2023

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Contact has a little bit of that but it's definitely not the focus of the film.

E: not supernatural at all and tv rather than cinema, but Rectify might push some of the right buttons for you.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 4, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Harry and the Hendersons

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Midnight Special might have a bit of that vibe. I have some frustration with it but it still has at least a sick Michael Shannon performance.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Don't know if this is kosher, but I'll start by recommending you not see Fire in the Sky, though I guess it fits the bill technically.

Wizchine posted:

The Mothman Prophecies
This hits it on the head, and it's a good film to boot. Start here unless you want to build up to it.

A Matter of Life and Death is the best movie made (I know of) that could fit the bill, but you have to stretch a bit to fit it in. Or more than a bit.

If you're willing to be flexible on definitions and go past best-ever lists, Jacob's Ladder could be worth a try.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

seconding The Mothman Prophecies, probably one of the better choices
Something In The Dirt
We Are All Going To the World's Fair
The Village

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Surprised that nobody has mentioned Fire in the Sky yet.

I am bad at reading. But yea Fire in the Sky is exactly what you're looking for.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fire in the Sky. I saw that as a kid. I don't remember it being very good but I enjoyed the abduction sequence. Maybe worth revisting.

I haven't seen Mothman, but I was under the impression it was kind of bad?

Thanks for the rest of the suggestions too, I'll look em up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mothman’s not bad at all. Not amazing, but it’s a decent mildly spoopy time. I wouldn’t go nuts trying to find it or nothing, but if you have access and want two hours of Richard Gere investigating the Mothman, then you’ll have a pretty good time with it. Good camera and acting, script isn’t exactly visionary but more than functional.

Has probably the most plot important use of chapstick in cinema history.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I just remembered Close Encounters of the Third Kind fits this bill very well.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Don't Let The Riverbeast Get You

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Just watched A Dark Song and loved it. Can anyone recommend any more movies on their which depict realistic occult lore?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tea Bone posted:

Just watched A Dark Song and loved it. Can anyone recommend any more movies on their which depict realistic occult lore?

The VVitch?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

THE VAST OF NIGHT

Although it’s during the event but also includes people discussing the aftermath

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Tea Bone posted:

Just tried this movie out and to be honest, the ending was a huge let down for me. Perhaps, with spoilers, you can explain how you interpreted it? Just didn’t add up and felt like a plot blue balls.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Queer Grenadier posted:

Just tried this movie out and to be honest, the ending was a huge let down for me. Perhaps, with spoilers, you can explain how you interpreted it? Just didn’t add up and felt like a plot blue balls.

Yeah sure, but I'm not sure how much light I can shed on it for you. It wasn't a movie I loved for it's s story, there was just something about the (I want to say "realistic", but that's not the right word... "grounded" maybe) depiction of the ritual maybe that really clicked for me.

Anyway

I think after Solomon died it all went off the rails because Sophia didn't have any guidance on how to do things properly. It's drilled in that once the ritual starts it can't be stopped.

The demon's taking and tormenting Sophia was a manifestation of her guilt for her son being taken, she beggs for forgiveness but she's already stated that she won't forgive so it makes sense that she can't be forgiven either.

Once she pulls away from the demons and meets her guardian angel she changes her request from revenge to to be able to forgive. Therefore being able to also forgive herself and move on with her life.

For what it's worth I've seen a few theories that Solomon was the one who took her Son. I don't really buy that. I figure Solomon wasn't being entirely truthful about his own motivation for the ritual (to ask for invisibility), I've not got much of a formed theory on that from one viewing but I assume his last words ("I miss my sister") have something to do with it, also making Sophia wear a particular shirt in the rape scene.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Tea Bone posted:

Yeah sure, but I'm not sure how much light I can shed on it for you. It wasn't a movie I loved for it's s story, there was just something about the (I want to say "realistic", but that's not the right word... "grounded" maybe) depiction of the ritual maybe that really clicked for me.

Anyway

I think after Solomon died it all went off the rails because Sophia didn't have any guidance on how to do things properly. It's drilled in that once the ritual starts it can't be stopped.

The demon's taking and tormenting Sophia was a manifestation of her guilt for her son being taken, she beggs for forgiveness but she's already stated that she won't forgive so it makes sense that she can't be forgiven either.

Once she pulls away from the demons and meets her guardian angel she changes her request from revenge to to be able to forgive. Therefore being able to also forgive herself and move on with her life.

For what it's worth I've seen a few theories that Solomon was the one who took her Son. I don't really buy that. I figure Solomon wasn't being entirely truthful about his own motivation for the ritual (to ask for invisibility), I've not got much of a formed theory on that from one viewing but I assume his last words ("I miss my sister") have something to do with it, also making Sophia wear a particular shirt in the rape scene.

Thanks!

Right before Solomon died, she saw a man in the chair smoking. It was a black figure, but my initial reaction was - that's Solomon! He died. I think it was his ghost. The theory that Solomon was the one who killed her son is interesting, because ultimately the ritual did result in the 'killer' dying, because he died by the knife in their interaction. Ending was a bit open-ended and not satisfying, but I agree - I did enjoy seeing a more realistic and gritty occult ritual occurring.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hi! I have a movie date night coming up and was looking for some good horror/thriller movies that are streaming. She's seen a lot of them so the more I can throw against the wall the better!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi! I have a movie date night coming up and was looking for some good horror/thriller movies that are streaming. She's seen a lot of them so the more I can throw against the wall the better!

Lair of the White Worm (Tubi). It’s a 1988 British horror comedy with a baby Hugh Grant and it’s hilarious and raunchy. Lots of snake = penis jokes and Hugh Grant cuts an old woman in half with a claymore.

Run Sweetheart Run (Amazon). Feminist horror about a woman whose date is Satan. It’s a swing, but definitely something to talk about.

The Vast of Night (Amazon). Gorgeous and ambitiously shot grounded little period piece about young radio aficionados in the 1950’s chasing an alien transmission. The camera work is worth the price of admission alone.

Boston Strangler (Hulu). It’s Ridley Scott telling the story of the journalists chasing the Boston Strangler. It’s not amazing but it’s solid and very amusing.

Apostle (Netflix). Basically a period detective thriller that turns into Silent Hill by way of the Wicker Man. A dude is trying to rescue his sister from a creepy cult on a Welsh island.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lair of the White Worm is a great suggestion.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
And Lair of the White Worm is a Ken Russell film, if that helps swing your opinion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Calibre on netflix isn't technically a horror film but it made me feel dread and anxiety more than any actual horror I've seen.