Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

65 (2023)

Sits at an unfortunate place between trashy fun and grounded sci-fi that's just not particularly interesting. The premise is absurd and the dinosaurs are treated as horror-movie monsters, but without mining the absurdity for some entertaining theatricality. Adam Driver and the girl playing the kid are solid and it looks alright—a lot of it is set in real-world locations—but it doesn't add up to much of anything. Disappointing movie that I wasn't even expecting much of going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Far and Away (Ron Howard, 1992). Saw this at 11am, as part of the BFI Film on Film Festival, projected using a changeover system and from a pristine original print that has never been publicly projected until now. It was shot on Panavision Super 70, and it looked fantastic up there. The film itself was quite silly, and the introduction from the programmer prepared us for that, and the audience was well into it. It had some classic Tom Cruise running, Nicole Kidman exclaiming "my spoons!!!" well before The Room ever did, and some admittedly solid feeling fight scenes.

Cruise's character is thrown off his father's land in 19th century Ireland after he dies, and after attempting to murder his landlord, he meets Kidman. They board a ship to America and try to make a life for themselves in Boston, with Cruise making money bare knuckle boxing. The last act takes place in Oklahoma, which is where the 70mm really shines - there's some fantastic shots of the wide open landscape, and horses and wagons charging along.

You could tell the 70mm projectors haven't been used that much which is a shame - this is because at one reel changeover, the new projector took a while to get up to speed, meaning we saw and heard some of the leader film with the countdown, and could hear the slowed down audio - no Dolby Digital here. Later on, on what I suspect is the same projector, the audio was rather muffled. But it all added to the experience of watching film on film.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Past Lives: Really good! Maybe a little overhyped out of sundance unfortunately, I thought it was a 4/5, not a 5/5 best picture of the year etc that some people were saying. Return to Seoul was the better movie split into three time points about a Korean immigrant woman trying to figure out her life and relationships, imo.
e: a very slightly interesting thing about this movie is that it's explicitly set in 2024. I'm not sure if that means anything or if they were just trying to hedge their bets in terms of covid or whatever.

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 9, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Insider this is filmed in such an un Mann way, I checked to see if it was the same DP, same as Heat. Shame that Al got nominated for this and not Heat, but Crowe and him are both firing on all cylinders, although I'd give the nod to Crowe. The film feels necessary to me, a movie that should be shown in schools to show just how hosed you can get doing the right thing when the wrong thing is the side of $$$. And how you still need to do it anyways, and how quickly news and journalism will fold when it's them being targeted and not sources they can cut loose after a segment.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Mom and Dad : a gory horror comedy about parents killing their children that has a lovely but short Lance Renrickson cameo, stars a wonderful unhinged Nicholas Cage and is just shy of 90 minutes. Not a lot of fat on this thing, just a solid flick

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Hanna: There's so much to like here! Honestly it's like 75%-80% an amazing movie. The cinematography is amazing a lot of the time, her disorientation at all the electricity is filmed so well, the shots of implied travel are awesome, the music is amazing and on point. But I run into this with movies sometimes, they are so good, and I think with such potential, that I like them less because of their faults, compared to movies that are mainly bad. There's too much travel journal, oh wow Hanna is a real girl type stuff. I don't think there needed to be as much time spent with the family as there was. Saoirse Ronan is great though as a young actress, Cate Blanchett is great minus her accent, Erik Bana is there. It's funny I wish this was better with it's dark fantasy/fairy tale motifs and it lets itself down with the dumb DNA plot too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Carpet posted:

Far and Away (Ron Howard, 1992). Saw this at 11am, as part of the BFI Film on Film Festival, projected using a changeover system and from a pristine original print that has never been publicly projected until now. It was shot on Panavision Super 70, and it looked fantastic up there. The film itself was quite silly, and the introduction from the programmer prepared us for that, and the audience was well into it. It had some classic Tom Cruise running, Nicole Kidman exclaiming "my spoons!!!" well before The Room ever did, and some admittedly solid feeling fight scenes.

Cruise's character is thrown off his father's land in 19th century Ireland after he dies, and after attempting to murder his landlord, he meets Kidman. They board a ship to America and try to make a life for themselves in Boston, with Cruise making money bare knuckle boxing. The last act takes place in Oklahoma, which is where the 70mm really shines - there's some fantastic shots of the wide open landscape, and horses and wagons charging along.

You could tell the 70mm projectors haven't been used that much which is a shame - this is because at one reel changeover, the new projector took a while to get up to speed, meaning we saw and heard some of the leader film with the countdown, and could hear the slowed down audio - no Dolby Digital here. Later on, on what I suspect is the same projector, the audio was rather muffled. But it all added to the experience of watching film on film.

I don't think I've ever seen 70 on a changeover system, I wonder what the equipment looked like. That is some herculean poo poo for the projectionist to deal with.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Hondo (1953). Saw this on 35mm 3D from a 1953 print, my film number 7 of the BFI Film on Film Festival. They had brought in a literal silver screen for screening, and had an intermission halfway (about 40 minutes) to change the reels over for the second half - this was actually baked into the print as a 3D 'intermission' card came up. We were given IMAX 3D glasses for the screening which made me chuckle - that we can watch 70 year old films with 'modern' 3D glasses.

My first John Wayne western so I can't really say how it holds up compared to his other works, but I enjoyed it. Wayne's character Hondo is a former part-Apache cavalryman who turns up at a remote farmstead located in Apache territory, where a mother and her child live, his father presumed dead. He helps out around the farm and gets a bed for a few nights, and borrows and breaks in a horse to ride back to the cavalry camp - these scenes nicely show off the 3D without being flashy about it.

A local Apache chief is on the war path after the 'whites' have broken a peace treaty and shows up himself at the farmstead, but he admires the boy's bravery and starts training him in place of his father. Without going too much into the story, eventually conflict ensues between the Apaches and the Cavalry, which leads to an epic battle scene at the end with some great stunt horse riding (my second film in two days featuring that and the cavalry). There's a few too many 'arrows flying directly at the screen' towards the end, but overall the 3D effects hold up nicely once I got over the initial discomfort of the disparity between the condition of each wheel (dirt on one obviously isn't replicated on the other). The picture was nice and bright too - originally shot in technicolour it was given to the BFI as prints that could each be shown on their own for non-3D screenings.

I also laughed the hardest at a particular scene than any other film I've watched recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2KROiSXDg

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

In Training posted:

I don't think I've ever seen 70 on a changeover system, I wonder what the equipment looked like. That is some herculean poo poo for the projectionist to deal with.

I'm not sure I've ever watched a film on a changeover system before now - I presume any films I watched before digital protection took over were on single spliced reels. I believe everything showing at this festival will be on changeover as well to keep the archive prints in best condition. And with every introduction they've been naming and thanking the projectionists and there's always been at least two.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Freaky : another slasher hybrid from the guys who made Happy Death Day, this one a Freaky Friday via Friday the 13th and it's great. Vince Vaughan delivers the goods as the teen girl in a man's body, which is a weird sentence to type in 2023 but alas.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Jaws - yes, I've never seen Jaws before, but watching it at a sold out BFI NFT1, from an original dye colour Technicolour print is probably the best way to do it. The audience was well into it, cheering and applauding at the end when the shark was blown up, and laughing at the appropriate moments. Apparently the print has only been shown publicly twice before, and it looked amazing, such great colours and detail with no hint of fading.

Anyway, watching the film I was constantly going "oh, that's what the Simpsons were referencing" or "that's where that reaction gif meme is from" but putting that aside the film itself was great - really did jump at the diving part where Hooper is checking the hull of that boat, and all the other bits were suitably tense. The mixture of real shots of a real shark, and the practical animatronic was well handled, hard to believe Spielberg was only 26 when he directed this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderman into the Spiderverse yeah shoulda checked this back out before seeing the new one. There's a lot of things from the first brought back that I just forgot about. Good as it looks, it looks amateur compared to the second as well. I will reinstate my belief that every spider aside from Gwen, Peter B, and Miles should've been cut.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Just watched The Super Mario Bros Movie (2023) and really, really enjoyed it. The different background characters catered to my childhood nostalgia, and I loved the action. Think it would be fun for all of the family.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Bad Guys. I had wanted to see this because I liked the art style with a kinda flat 2d drawn look over colorful 3d models. I still like the look of it, just wish it was pushed more. Shame the rest of the movie sucked: too much going on and too non sensical even for a kids film. Also in one of many logical holes in the movie, why is 90% of the main cast anthropomorphic animals and everybody else is a human?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I loathed the 10 minutes of it that I saw back in high school, and have actively disliked everything I've seen from Kevin Smith other than the first Clerks and the Clerks cartoon. I went into this thinking it would be incredibly obnoxious and that I would immediately regret picking it over Dogma, which was the other potential movie on the table for the evening.

Turns out, it's actually pretty fun! Juvenile as hell, but charming in its own weird endearing way. It reminded me a lot of Harold & Kumar go to White Castle, which makes sense because they're both probably just riffing on Cheech & Chong films. It was well paced, with none of the little on-the-road vignettes overstaying their welcome, and a number of them had some decent laughs. The biggest surprise was that halfway through the film I realized that Jason Mewes was singlehandedly carrying the movie—and doing it well. The film is just very earnest, and has a great cartoon energy going on that displayed much better filmmaking than I expected out of Smith, given his latter-day reputation.

The is-it-or-isn't-it homophobia was tough, though. The titular characters themselves are homophobic, or at least Jay is, but the film's perspective seems to constantly be putting them in the wrong about it. It feels like Smith had the right intentions with trying to show homophobia as silly and unnecessary, but it's just so steeped in the ugliness of its era that it can't be called progressive despite obviously trying. It's all very lighthearted, and some of it even quite amusing like Carlin's bit, so I'm still kind of parsing out my feelings about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Smith’s brother is gay, so he’s definitely trying to push the homophobia as stupid and bad.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - I thought this wasn't very good. Very beautifully animated and very funny, but I think it really drops the ball on what worked about the first film for me. The first one has a really solid emotional core - it's about Miles being put into a situation (becoming Spider-Man) that he doesn't know how to deal with, and overcoming the fear and the pressure of it. All the alternative dimension elements dovetail neatly into this, because they present him with different possible ways his life could go, and reassurance from people who have been in the same situation as him.

The sequel seems to just abandon this thread and instead set up a situation/theme wherein destiny is apparently real and if you violate providence, the world starts to literally break down and end. And then the central idea of the film becomes like, 'are some things destined' and 'if you don't like something that is destined to happen, should you fight against it'. I can kind of see how it's trying to explore the concept of like, 'expectations', or the fear of consequences, maybe, but the way it goes about it really doesn't work for me. It's also only half a movie. Parts are good, Gwen seems to be inhabiting another more interesting story that we see like 1/3 of, but the rest of the film fell flat for me. I was waiting for it to end, by the end of it. It seemed to be buried deeply up its own rear end.

It really is beautiful animation, though. It was just the whole central conflict, and what it tries to explore emotionally, really didn't work for me at all. Oh well.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Mission Impossible (Brian de Palma, 1996)

Starting a rewatch of the entire series prior to the new one coming out - I say rewatch though I've only ever seen the first one. It must also have been around 15 years since I've seen M:I1 and I'm pretty sure I also saw it in the cinema at time of release. However this time at least, I was able to follow what had seemed like a rather convoluted plot - I remember as a kid not understanding quite what was going on in the opening scene, or with the double/triple crosses.

There's less use of the fake faces than I remember, but the infiltration and action scenes still hold up, with the exception of the final Chunnel chase which seems a bit ridiculous now - I don't know how I ever believed a helicopter could fly through it (and now I notice the lack of overhead wiring or third rail. The CIA heist and vault scene though were still very tense to watch, and there's plenty of great Dutch angles throughout the film. I forgot Henry Czerny played the main antagonist - as with Clear and Present Danger he plays that slimy government man role really well - looking forward to seeing him in the new one. Hunt himself is still a bit of an enigma, we don't really get a sense of who he is or what he believes, will be interested to see if that gets developed in any of the sequels.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Carpet posted:

Mission Impossible (Brian de Palma, 1996)

Starting a rewatch of the entire series prior to the new one coming out - I say rewatch though I've only ever seen the first one.

Hunt himself is still a bit of an enigma, we don't really get a sense of who he is or what he believes, will be interested to see if that gets developed in any of the sequels.

Gonna watch this space for your review of M:I 2 and whatever neck brace you decide to go with after the complete tonal whiplash

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ElectricSheep posted:

Gonna watch this space for your review of M:I 2 and whatever neck brace you decide to go with after the complete tonal whiplash

Yeah I feel like it’s a very of its time outlier. I hated it when it came out but I can appreciate it as a guilty pleasure in a vacuum. I feel from 3 onwards they successfully found the balance of tense heist film and action setpieces. 2 leans all the way into the latter while 1 was mostly the former.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Rapture (1991) had read this was a very interesting film and I gotta say it really is. Mimi Rogers stars as a bored telephone operator who lives the swinger lifestyle at night but eventually converts to evangelical Christianity after hearing coworkers talk about the coming rapture. The movie seesaws between portraying her conversion positively and menacingly but it goes off the rails in the last third after David Duchovny gets killed in a workplace mass shooting. The last scene is absolutely not what I expected and it feels like an extremely Catholic film ending to put on an otherwise Protestantism centered film. I’ll be thinking about this one for a while

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Across the Spider-Verse Seen it five times now, best movie of the year easily.

Patriot Games The comfiest movie about the CIA ever made. Objectively there's a lot about it that doesn't really work that well. Sean Bean goes too unhinged, the action scenes take too long and aren't especially exciting, actors like Sam Jackson are underused. And yet the fact that the movie takes place in the nineties, right on that edge when things still felt modern and yet not completely digital give the film a sense of nostalgia that it really doesn't earn. There's a lens of watching where someone really goes in and points out that the CIA does a bunch of incredibly shady poo poo; hell you see them scoping out and watching an ally encroach into a sovereign nations territory to attack a camp they think might be terrorists, terrorists they're only tracking out of a personal grudge an agent has with them. But personally I'm watching this like I'd flip through an old Sears catalog.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finally got around to John Wick 4. Excellent overall, I feel like it was a little too long but I'm not sure where I'd suggest cutting anything - maybe delete a wave of enemies in Osaka and Paris? Everyone doing the Dracula cape with their bulletproof suit coats seemed a little cheesy but on the other hand maybe it's a reaction to John doing this four movies in a row and they know they'd be dead otherwise. Plus it lets some of the hits land instead of forcing everyone to have stormtrooper accuracy or matrix dodge skills.

Take a break, Keanu. You've earned it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
No Hard Feelings (2023)

Watched a preview screening of this last night and had a fun time. Felt like a welcome return to the teen sex comedies of the 2000s, though this was more along the lines of The Girl Next Door than American Pie. No great surprises with the plot, it hit all the beats you'd expect but still I laughed plenty, even if they did include some of the best lines in the trailer. However, there was one particular sequence which wasn't in the trailer where Jennifer Lawrence goes all in for comedic effect, so that at least came as a surprise.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Across the Spider-Verse
Clearly the best looking animated movie of all time, and the gap isn't even close. Amazing film, and it's raised the bar for animation in a way that is going to make it very difficult to match.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's Up, Doc?: This was a lot of fun! Streisand was good, Ryan O'Neal was good, Madeline Kahn was amazing, but it made me realize I missed the justification element of a lot of other screwball comedies that papers over the zaniness. Judy just sees Howard and pretty much decides to ruin his life, there's not anything else given other than that. And I realizes that it stuck with me and put a distance at least in the first part of the film, because I kept expecting, oh we'll know why she's doing this. And it's funny, the script is great, the plotting maniacal. But that small thing took me out of it and I think left me appreciating it less.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Big Clock is it just me or has the art of screen writing atrophied completely in the last twenty years. This script is tight as a noose, which is perfect given how little breath the characters are able to draw as the coil tightens. Might call it a bit direct with all the literal clocks hanging around, but the film never let's you forget that the man doesn't have enough time and if it runs out he's dead. Fantastic Noir and a sad reminder that we just don't get movies like this anymore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

The Big Clock is it just me or has the art of screen writing atrophied completely in the last twenty years. This script is tight as a noose, which is perfect given how little breath the characters are able to draw as the coil tightens. Might call it a bit direct with all the literal clocks hanging around, but the film never let's you forget that the man doesn't have enough time and if it runs out he's dead. Fantastic Noir and a sad reminder that we just don't get movies like this anymore.

It's not you. The big clock is from an era where the product for studios was 25-30 80 minute films a year so they could book theaters year round, with the same actors filling new roles on a regular basis. In the present moment the product is seasons of streaming content, so people have been steadily trained to write very different (boring, overly long) scripts.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

As gorgeous as everyone says and the story, light comedy, etc. are fine. Glad I saw it in a theater.

The Last Wave (1977)

A White lawyer in Australia takes on a legal-aid murder defense involving Aboriginal Australian defendants and suffers an unwelcome spiritual awakening as he investigates the case.

A captivating supporting performance—David Gulpilil as the accused man Chris Lee—and its generally surreal atmosphere were enough for me to enjoy this one, even if the story felt a bit thin. Worth checking out (it's on Max) if you liked Take Shelter or The Leftovers.

The Flash (2023)

Cool to see Saoirse-Monica Jackson from Derry Girls in a small role, even if it's in a bad movie bizarrely targeted at fans of the Whedon cut of Justice League.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Man Amazing, amazingly bad that is. What is interesting is that you can see the seeds of the rotten core of the MCU already being planted, but it's actual problems are pretty distinct from the ones the later films have.

If I had to describe Iron Man in one word it would be "Embarrassing". The movie is trying so hard to make Iron Man seem cool, all the beautiful women, and money, and the house, car, general snarkyness; the whole time I'm just thinking of the dork in highschool thinking he's gonna be hot poo poo once he's out. I'll say it's excellent casting that Downey manages to leverage that into a character who isn't fully garbage on stage, but goddamn is it cringe. Going back to what I was talking about up thread, the structure is a goddamn mess, it takes him 45 minutes to get into the suit, opens in media res for zero reason, has three characters who matter at all in the plot and has one of the straight up dumbest character arcs I've ever seen. You can pinpoint the second we enter the capeshit dark ages to the scene with noted great actor Paltrow running around a poorly lit room while a cgi reactor melts down producing cgi lightning. TDK isn't the greatest movie around, not even in it's own sub franchise, but at least it was trying something and allowing it's actors to have depth and character rather than grinding them up to pour into the feeding trough.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Royal Warriors (1986)

This movie is bugnuts and I loved it. Strong chaotic Righting Wrongs energy that embraces the best kind of 80s action movie lunacy. 96 minutes of Michelle Yeoh and a babyfaced Hiroyuki Sanada just sprinting from one setpiece to another.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Joint Security Area the investigator angle is kind of boring and her development is kind of just there, but all north and South Korean border guards bonding over how meaningless they are in the face of a war is great stuff. It starts off kind of rashoman but quickly just shows us all the true friendship stuff. The ending makes sense but is kind of clunky in execution.

Oh and there’s a great fart joke.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

checkplease posted:

Joint Security Area the investigator angle is kind of boring and her development is kind of just there, but all north and South Korean border guards bonding over how meaningless they are in the face of a war is great stuff. It starts off kind of rashoman but quickly just shows us all the true friendship stuff. The ending makes sense but is kind of clunky in execution.

Oh and there’s a great fart joke.

Watched this last week and almost posted about it. Agreed on all of the above, the friendships are the best part of the movie and that fart joke really is great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Asteroid City setting new records for framing device levels with "a movie about a TV show of a play within a play". It's very Wes Anderson, so you already know if that's a plus or a minus to you. I loved it a lot, it's maybe in my top 3 Wes movies immediately. And for such a massive and almost absurdly star-studded cast, everyone puts in a good showing.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Blackening - Comedy of the year, though not like that's a high bar this orbital cycle to begin with. The schtick does get a bit annoying at the 50-minute mark when they start venturing in to the woods, but it does work itself back for the ending.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Asteroid City setting new records for framing device levels with "a movie about a TV show of a play within a play". It's very Wes Anderson, so you already know if that's a plus or a minus to you. I loved it a lot, it's maybe in my top 3 Wes movies immediately. And for such a massive and almost absurdly star-studded cast, everyone puts in a good showing.

*nods in agreement*

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Asteroid City I want to see Maya Hawke in more films, and I want to see the alien in more films. Everything else, pretty good if not mold breaking for Anderson.

The Untouchables I truly don't understand how de Palma managed to make a two hour movie without a single breast or rear end shot from an attractive woman. And yet all his other tricks are here in spades. Looking into windows of unattentive subjects, pov creeping shots through a house, crazy overhead shots, the insane train station shootout; the man can work a camera. Costner is probably the perfect Elliot Ness, but man do you dislike the man from the get, goody two-shoes with zero awareness. Connery ends up dominating and I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly because how dislikeable people found Costner's part. I also think Morricone's score is only okay, I've definitely heard better from the man.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Terrifier - I never got the chance to see All Hallow's Eve, so I'm not sure if I'm missing part of the story. However, all I can say is that this is a horror movie with a great idea for a villain, but surrounded with poor execution. Art the Clown and the actor portraying him are great. The gore is well done. It wants to be an over-the-top movie, but the bad acting by Art's victims make it impossible to get that suspension of disbelief that they are in danger. Several of the girls seem to be jog-walking away from danger, and there's one moment where Art is "hover-hand" choking his victim (his hands are literally not touching her neck while she's gagging).

I can appreciate it as a fun bad horror movie to watch where you want to laugh at the stupidity of the victims, enjoy the villain hamming it up, and endure excessive gore (there's a pretty harrowing hacksaw bit). However, it's not a movie you watch where you want to be scared. It lacks the oomph that horror movies like Friday the 13th, It, or Barbarian have.

I'm still going to watch the sequel because I dig bad horror movies.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Agreed!

Although Grand Budapest has a girl reading a book written by an old author with a flashback to the young author interviewing the old man recounting the story of his youth and the eponymous hotel.

I hate to say it was Covid Quarantine inspired because that implies a pretty extreme level of metaphor (like Bo Burnhams Inside or Don’t Look Up) that the movie doesn’t deserve. But I think it was a little.

Very fun movie, Wes Anderson doing Wes Anderson stuff. I could watch a lot more of Jeffrey Wright’s Douglas MacArthur type character.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Venom This movie is one of the few that's stupid enough to be entertaining. The action is largely garbage, especially the final Venom Riot fight that looks like absolute cgi goo nonsense. Eddie and Venom's comedy stylings, the villains bizzare overconfident grandiosity marched with incompetence, and Michelle William's character existing in a fully separate romcom Film just off stage that keeps being dragged into this superhero garbage. Superhero movies always try to pay lipservice to some cause or higher purpose and Venom's just over here saying, drat, wouldn't it be loving sick to have a symbiote bro inside you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Solaris (2002) I first watched this probably back in 2003 early in my college years and I loved it then. I am happy watching it again 20 years later and it still rules. It’s got a fantastic cast full of beautiful people, a chill vibes cliff Martinez score, a cool spaceship set, and all in only 90 minutes.

Clooney and Natascha McElhone are a great pair with their charming early flirtations and then emotional fallout. And the framing/lingering of eyes is always hypnotic. Viola Davis is the strong voice of reason, and Jeremy Davies is just hilarious as this weird rambling scientist (“yeahhh… about that…”).

This one doesn’t waste any time and gets you to solaris within 15 minutes where immediately weird stuff starts happening. Compared to Tarkovsky solaris, this is much more centered on the romance/guilt and how the Solaris visitors apply to that. There’s some interesting ideas in that the visitor Rheya is from his memories and what if those are wrong. Or the idea of what is Solaris and if it’s divine, what does it want ( or does it even want).

Annoyed that I can’t seem to find this on blu ray though.