Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TinTower posted:

IIRC, half of the reason for the current mess in Western Sahara stems from Spain basically saying “hey look over there” when decolonisation started to become popular and Morocco started asking about Ceuta and Melilla.

Morocco has invaded the territory and is at war with the natives. At the moment Marocco is the colonization force. And has stated above in other post, build the world biggest conveyor belt to suck the territory of resources.

Spain has a historical responsability because was the old colonization country, but this was so long ago that if you ask a normal spanish person about "western sahara", he or she will answer "The who? what?". 99.99% of spanish don't know it exists, and of course, don't care about it. Spanish politicians just want to avoid problems related to it. Spain politics is basically "Do not harm". And we are not very good at external politics. It also happens that we live next to France, that sabotaje our efforts in external politics. And France is very good at these things (this is a understament).

Anyway, I ask you, TinTower. What you want us to do? What do you think we should be doing, that we are not doing. Do you want us, a european country, to be more involved in african affairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how the dumb lines drawn by the French and the Spanish result in Western Sahara just barely reaching a particular granite outcrop. Mauritania’s territory is effectively separated from itself.

When it was a French colony, they tunnelled through kilometres of rock to avoid crossing Spanish sand.

Independent Mauritania simply ran the rails through the corner of Western Sahara because what is anyone going to do about it?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

TinTower posted:

IIRC, half of the reason for the current mess in Western Sahara stems from Spain basically saying “hey look over there” when decolonisation started to become popular and Morocco started asking about Ceuta and Melilla.

You’re not RC’ing. Morocco had been attacking the Spanish-held parts of northwest coastal Africa for decades prior to the final withdrawal, eg https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifni_War

Morocco also immediately invaded Algeria after the French left (the Sand War) to try to "reclaim" parts of central-western Algeria. Morocco wanted Tindouf well before the Spanish left Spanish Sahara.

I don’t mean to say Morocco is particularly bad or anything, every European power was doing the exact same things for hundreds of years too. It’s just not that Morocco was some little beautiful native peaceland that was disrupted by enforced European colonial borders that set off a tinderbox as soon as they left.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tei posted:

Morocco has invaded the territory and is at war with the natives. At the moment Marocco is the colonization force. And has stated above in other post, build the world biggest conveyor belt to suck the territory of resources.

Spain has a historical responsability because was the old colonization country, but this was so long ago that if you ask a normal spanish person about "western sahara", he or she will answer "The who? what?". 99.99% of spanish don't know it exists, and of course, don't care about it. Spanish politicians just want to avoid problems related to it. Spain politics is basically "Do not harm". And we are not very good at external politics. It also happens that we live next to France, that sabotaje our efforts in external politics. And France is very good at these things (this is a understament).

Anyway, I ask you, TinTower. What you want us to do? What do you think we should be doing, that we are not doing. Do you want us, a european country, to be more involved in african affairs?
are you saying france is forcing spain to hold on to ceuta and melilla against its will

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

i say swears online posted:

are you saying france is forcing spain to hold on to ceuta and melilla against its will

the biggest frontier of france is with brasil

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The perfidious French, surrounding both Brazil and Spain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you use a francoantipodean projection this could appear to be true and also make france appear much larger and more threatening.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The perfidious French, surrounding both Brazil and Spain

Anyway, I ask you, a pipe smoking dog. What you want us to do? What do you think we should be doing, that we are not doing. Do you want us, a dead gay comedy forum, to be more involved in south american and european affairs?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Saladman posted:

Not even remotely. The consistent Spanish claim, through all governments for hundreds of years, is that Gibraltar is theirs and everyone living in Gibraltar is either a filthy colonial imperialist, or a confused Spaniard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_Gibraltar

How one can hold that opinion and not simultaneously want to sell out the Ceutans and Melillans to the Moroccan government, I don’t know. Like Morocco, Spain regularly does petty poo poo to the Gibraltans. Gibraltars. Gibraltanians. People from Gibraltar.

Gibronies

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Portugal and the US are in Africa?

https://ourworldindata.org/afforestation

Increasing political load puts Portugal back into eastern Europe:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I've come around on this thread's dumbest and most incomprehensible poster, they're funny now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow someone's got a high opinion of themself

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Portugal and the US are in Africa?

https://ourworldindata.org/afforestation

Increasing political load puts Portugal back into eastern Europe:

This should really use some sort of percentage of forested area or just country area, since yeah, bigger countries are obviously gonna make a bigger splash on account of having more room for trees, whether planted or cut.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, a change in 100k hectares of forest is like less than a rounding error in canada or sweden.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I also very easy to not deforest your country when there's no forest left to destroy (looking at you Western Europe)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If theres still forest in your country, it means you are slacking

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

poor little spain

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
pobre España, tan lejos de Dios y tan cerca de Francia

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

poor little spain

Nah, the only real enemy of Spain is Spain itself. France is only super annoying. Like a dude playing vuvuzuela in the street till 3:00 AM.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tei posted:

Nah, the only real enemy of Spain is Spain itself. France is only super annoying. Like a dude playing vuvuzuela in the street till 3:00 AM.

That's Basque and Catalan erasure, just off the top of my head.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BonHair posted:

That's Basque and Catalan erasure, just off the top of my head.

There is a paradox here depending on whether or not you think "spain" encompasses those :v:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tei posted:

+ wants all the neighbours to join in

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pope Hilarius II posted:

+ wants all the neighbours to join in

Not the whole neighbourhood, just the ones forming a natural vuvuzela choir, crying out to come play

'ow you say, beautiful, hein ?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 9, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Espagne? Non!

(Italie? Oui)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Espagne? Non!

(Italie? Oui)
Pope Julius II??

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not the whole neighbourhood, just the ones forming a natural vuvuzela choir, crying out to come play

'ow you say, beautiful, hein ?

Louis Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon, was king of Holland during those times. First considered just one of Napoleon's puppets, he quickly went his own way and against his brother's wishes gave the Dutch people more rights and helped them during disasters and such.
Famously, he also attempted to learn Dutch, and when trying to say "I am king of Holland" in Dutch he mispronounced it so it sounded like "I'm the rabbit of Holland".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like a cony-catcher.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Carbon dioxide posted:

Louis Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon, was king of Holland during those times. First considered just one of Napoleon's puppets, he quickly went his own way and against his brother's wishes gave the Dutch people more rights and helped them during disasters and such.
Famously, he also attempted to learn Dutch, and when trying to say "I am king of Holland" in Dutch he mispronounced it so it sounded like "I'm the rabbit of Holland".

Probably the best king we've had, not that that's much to brag about.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

No context, just some nice maps I came across in my reading

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

On the one hand it's funny how the US still has virtual colonies, but on the other:

it's considerably more comfortable than being an independent pacific nation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US colonies/former colonies in the pacific provide an extremely important service, even more so now that the entirety of Russia is grey unless you are on Aeroflot or her subsidiaries

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Count Roland posted:

No context, just some nice maps I came across in my reading

That's a cool map, but why are Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands colored blue? They're independent countries.

Private Speech posted:

On the one hand it's funny how the US still has virtual colonies, but on the other:

Is this a breakdown of exports? From what country?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EasilyConfused posted:

That's a cool map, but why are Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands colored blue? They're independent countries.

They aren't, I'm colourblind and I can tell the difference between the border between Wake Island (US, no people) and the Marshall Islands (a different country, many people)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

EasilyConfused posted:

Is this a breakdown of exports? From what country?

Yes, from NMI (US). More generally it's just a higher standard of living there compared to say Vanuatu.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 10, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

the objective of the of imperial center is always to extract wealth so in the long run, no, it will be very uncomfortable. The most topical manifestation of this is climate change, where the plan is to leave the non-western nations to rot and die while shoring up the US and to a lesser extent, the EU.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

EasilyConfused posted:

They are in compacts of free association with the US. They don't have militaries and the US coast guard and navy enforce maritime law in their waters.

Notice that the Cook Islands and Niue are also in a lighter shade of New Zealand's color, for the same reason.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

EasilyConfused posted:

I believe it's representing the Compact of Free Association between these three countries and the United States.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Carbon dioxide posted:

Just like his brother, obsessed with warren

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the Compact of Free Association is probably a pretty good deal these days now that there's no longer a global demand for mining bird poo poo or a government desire to test nuclear weapons. There's not very much the US wants to exploit the islands for anymore, there's not as much restrictive regulation from a government that doesn't represent them like the US's other overseas territories, so no dodging the Jones Act, and now they get the protection of the largest military in the world and access to the US if they ever want to go there. The Marshall Islands set up a whole expat community in Arkansas of all places.

I don't know what the relations between other remnant island colonies and their imperial masters are like. I know France is a real poo poo about its relations in Africa, but I dunno what their other territories think of them. The UK's Falkland islands appreciate protection from the nearby hostile power and St Helena gets significant investment, no idea about the Pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To my understanding the Falklands very much do not want to be a part of Argentina, I think it's like 95%+ in favour of being a UK territory.