Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even stuff like 'oh I'll spare this guy from being executed by an angry mob and he can serve on my ship' is horrible because the ship crew are slaves who live lives of constant terror broken up the occasional bought of brutality lol. Amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

There's so many examples I hardly know where to start. There's a bit where you have to evacuate a planet that's about to be turned into either a lifeless husk or a demon world, but there's only so many shuttles. You're expected to save the nobles over the commoners, and if possible an archeotech fusion reactor (unless you destroy it to Exterminatus the planet to keep it from falling to Chaos entirely). Practically every time you meet a common soldier you have the option to talk down to them and/or beat them up for perceived incompetence that they had nothing to do with. In fact, you can run into a soldier not under your command that's being beset by chaos cultists, and when you kill the cultists you can coerce or trick him into handing over information about what's going on in the city you're in. After which you can maim him for giving up information vital to the war effort to an outside party.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 9, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm glad you're all sharing the outcomes of the options to be a jerk, cause I admit I'll never pick those options myself. Benevolentia is my roll, and it amuses me how confused everyone is that I'm not being an rear end in a top hat.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Drakenel posted:

Benevolentia is my roll, and it amuses me how confused everyone is that I'm not being an rear end in a top hat.

IIRC (I read them a long while ago) that was also a common occurence in the Gaunt's Ghosts books. It's not even that Gaunt's particularly nice or good - he's just mission-oriented and wouldn't routinely BLAM people if he thought it would negatively impact mission success, crew morale and/or crew efficiency. Which it often does, obviously.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drakenel posted:

I'm glad you're all sharing the outcomes of the options to be a jerk, cause I admit I'll never pick those options myself. Benevolentia is my roll, and it amuses me how confused everyone is that I'm not being an rear end in a top hat.

My first character was Benevolentia partially because that's how I generally play in these games, but for the first time also because of how it genuinely surprises people again and again. Like they expect you'd have been dead a dozen times over in the kind of society the Imperium is. Its one thing to play the good guy in, say, DnD, where there are literal gods outright saying to be good and you'll earn powers that way, quite another to be good in a society where the only people that survive for very long are either geneforged maniacs with too much power for you to easily topple or the kinds of people who were quicker to exploit their neighbor than the other guy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Drakenel posted:

I like how Abelard is portrayed as this reasonable and nice guy and like the first quest of his where you go and talk to the deck crews about their concerns he's like "????? but they're not really people ???"

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Is Comarragh kinda buggy for anyone else? Jae turned up despite not being in my crew for the mission where we got captured then I couldn't interact with her. I'm getting all kinds of weird dialogue options when talking to my companions reflecting choices I didn't make or things that haven't happened yet. I'm also not sure how to trigger the arena events? Like, I think I should be able to start a fight with the wyches but I can't figure out how to enter the arena?

EDIT: I figured out how to enter the arena - it's a transition button that isn't on the minimap. Fun!

GO FUCK YOURSELF fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 10, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It sure does seem like Idira really is going to be one of those characters along similar lines as Wenduag. In that yeah, maybe they do have a good story and character development in their arc, but even playing as a fairly reasonable, open-minded and benevolent PC I'm really, REALLY going to struggle to justify keeping them around.

Or in other words, just reached the macro cannon battery warp event. Xenos? A-okay. Mildly heretical trader? Sure, welcome onboard. Unsanctioned psyker losing their marbles in the middle of a Warp incursion? Are you goddamn insane?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

It sure does seem like Idira really is going to be one of those characters along similar lines as Wenduag. In that yeah, maybe they do have a good story and character development in their arc, but even playing as a fairly reasonable, open-minded and benevolent PC I'm really, REALLY going to struggle to justify keeping them around.

Or in other words, just reached the macro cannon battery warp event. Xenos? A-okay. Mildly heretical trader? Sure, welcome onboard. Unsanctioned psyker losing their marbles in the middle of a Warp incursion? Are you goddamn insane?

I forget, what's the reason Theodora kept her around anyway? Besides the fact that the captain gives off massive heretic vibes when you first meet her I guess.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I forget, what's the reason Theodora kept her around anyway? Besides the fact that the captain gives off massive heretic vibes when you first meet her I guess.

I think all we get is that Theodora found her divination more useful than the danger she represents.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Koth posted:

Xenos? A-okay. Mildly heretical trader? Sure, welcome onboard. Unsanctioned psyker losing their marbles in the middle of a Warp incursion? Are you goddamn insane?

Yeah, I'm gonna see where she goes in the beta, and if her personal story's not good enough, out the airlock she goes in my actual playthrough. Seriously, she is my least favourite character- I could justify keeping Wenduag in my WotR party even as a Lawful Good character on the basis of keeping an eye on her, but if I do that to Idira I have no way of wondering who's looking back at me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Her powers aren't that great, unfortunately, and while she is good at keeping people on edge her personal story really does need to be spectacular or at least tie into the big mystery in regards to Theodora.

Not sure who my least favorite character is though. Possibly Jae, despite having the objectively best side story, because she occupies a weird niche in the party and her story seems a bit too straightforward.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Biggest fault with Idira is that her psychic abilities feel little meh.

I mostly use Idira as my 3rd sniper. Yrliet and Cassia are the other two.
Rest of my party is Argenta, Heinrix and Close combat rogue trader.

Nearly finished with 2nd chapter and the skills/leveling are the biggest disappointments so far.
1st tier Fighter/Marksman are solid choices with some fun abilities
IDG the adept. Just feels like a waste of time.
Leadership is ok for doubling better characters turns, but it locks you into Vanguard role in 2nd tier, which isn't that good for ranged characters.
Literally can't raise my Ballistic skill on 2 of my sniper/leadership characters.

on 2nd tier
Hunter is solid for snipers. Prey mechanic seems fine, although most of abilities are a wall of text.
Assassin and vanguard feel meh.

Also raising stats/skills doesn't feel that fun.
My Rogue trader has over 200+ Persuade, because that's what I've took every level.
Ïs it excessive? Probably, but I don't have any idea how much you need and really want to succeed on diplomacy.
Same with other characters. Argenta takes Demolition every time, another takes commercial every time etc.

On positive side the Story and exploration is fun.
I literally explored the whole Koronus expanse, before doing any planets after Footfall. Lot of fun and unique stuff to be found.
Now all my planets are developed and my Profit Factor is over 100, so It is time to ascent to my capital for the first time.

edit: One little pain in the rear end on design is the colony management.
All the colonies are far away of each other and they constantly require you to return to orbit to manage some choices and/or get loot.
Just let me manage that stuff from wherever I'm at currently. All my routes to colonies are safe, so it just takes lot of clicking to travel.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 10, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's annoying because you can do the colony building projects from anywhere but you have to go seven systems out of the way to do a one-line text event

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I just Cheat Engine'd myself 10000 Navigator Insight and covered the map in green lines.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I just Cheat Engine'd myself 10000 Navigator Insight and covered the map in green lines.

If you know the general location of the colonies (From playing alpha), you can just paint those routes green and still have some Nav.insight to spare.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

How are the psyker powers in this game?

I pretty much always play caster archetypes in RPGs and have trouble connecting with them if there isn't something in that vein for my character to pursue.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Skippy McPants posted:

How are the psyker powers in this game?

I pretty much always play caster archetypes in RPGs and have trouble connecting with them if there isn't something in that vein for my character to pursue.

3 of your companions have psychic abilities and you can make your Rogue Trader into a Sanctioned psyker too.
1st one is a melee inquisitor with access to buff type spells
2nd one is Unsanctioned psyker. She gets one bigger spell that is tied to staff she is carrying and she can take same buff spells as the inquisitor.
Personally I ignored the staffs and gave her Sniper Rifle.
3rd one is a Navigator with unique gaze based abilities plus she's a leader, so she buffs and gives extra turns for your other party members.

I haven't tried to make my Rogue trader into a Sanctioned Psyker, but they get the Staff spells and can learn the buffs too.
There's Melee/ranged weapon/leadership options too on top of that.

Mind you. none of the spellcasters have huge spell lists like in DnD or Pathfinder.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Hit a game breaking bug.
During the coronation the exit from Von valancius palace yards are blocked by a closed door.

After the coronation the door is open, but the map shows the door section black and I can't walk through the door to exit.
So can't go to my ship to continue adventure.
Anyone else had this happen to them?

edit: Reloaded an earlier save and it worked.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 10, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Heinrix is actually great to keep around in your party. Not necessarily for his in-combat abilities (which are decent), but because you can use Invigorate(?) outside combat with no limit.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I messed around a bit in the Alpha and it was fine. Just loaded up the beta and it’s amazing; Owlcat really gets the setting. Class-riven, extreme, and the constant threat that if you behave like a decent human being you’ll be killded by daemons.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I haven't played since the early Alpha, have they added an option for the main character to go down the explorator line? The Flesh is Weak and needs to be replaced.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beefeater1980 posted:

I messed around a bit in the Alpha and it was fine. Just loaded up the beta and it’s amazing; Owlcat really gets the setting. Class-riven, extreme, and the constant threat that if you behave like a decent human being you’ll be killded by daemons.

Even prisoners expect it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So I encountered a gamebreaking bug that I needed to load my way back out of, after I made the critical mistake of sitting down in the rogue trader's chair on their palace planet, which made my character stuck in a sitting animation, while also unable to use the level switching prompts. Looked pretty funny as you rode around like you're in an invisible car

Slightly less funny when, while trying to find the most recent autosave to load to lose as little progress as possible, I accidentally loaded an autosave file I had manually saved over- realising my mistake, I clicked the little red x in the save file's corner, to remove it from my save game pool. This totally worked, like incredibly well, but in the same way a flamethrower would really mess up a fly that needs swatting, since this also deleted every single other save I had, including the one I had just loaded in

welp, there goes my 20ish hours of progress :)

don't delete your saves

e: oh, haha, it's a button to "delete saves in the group", which is every save for a particular character, not an actual delete prompt for the individual save. great!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 12, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
beta is incredible but I'm gonna hold off until the full release because once they polish this it's gonna be something else

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Has Owlcat provided a specific release date yet? Cursory searches suggest Q3 2023, but I haven't seen anything more focused than that. I generally hold off on RPGs until release (Baldur's Gate 3 I'm looking at you, you Early Access zombie) so I'm hesitant to grab the beta in spite of how tantalizing it is.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Warmachine posted:

Has Owlcat provided a specific release date yet? Cursory searches suggest Q3 2023, but I haven't seen anything more focused than that. I generally hold off on RPGs until release (Baldur's Gate 3 I'm looking at you, you Early Access zombie) so I'm hesitant to grab the beta in spite of how tantalizing it is.

They're still angling for 2023, but no specific quarter or date, and with the current state of the beta, despite how fun it is, a slip to early '24 wouldn't be shocking.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

They're still angling for 2023, but no specific quarter or date, and with the current state of the beta, despite how fun it is, a slip to early '24 wouldn't be shocking.

Yeah, December of 23 or February of 24 seems realistic.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My thoughts from about 5 hours of gameplay:
Good:
*Sound direction is incredible. This is by far my biggest takeaway, everything audio is great.
*The dialogue and world building is very good, like other people have said they nailed the tone.
*The absolute base mechanics of the combat are very satisfying. Movement feels good, shooting feels good, It avoids x-com line of sight bullshit by having a preview click that draws arrows to all the targets you can see before you commit to moving.
*Visual presentation definitely has all the foibles you'd associate with a WCRPG, But it's very capably done.
*I absolutely hate it when this style of game limits your party to two or three characters, It's at least six here which is very welcome.
Bad:
*Character diversity mechanically is less than I was hoping for and expecting. Character creation in general obviously is work in progress, But everyone kind of feels like they're doing the same style of damage with a different visual aesthetic. A lot of the level ups I barely read what I was picking because I had read through all of the options early on and only a couple of items had stood out.
*A lot of stuff visually is hard to determine. Sometimes the way skill checks are written out is very obtuse and in particular the trading mechanics are obtuse. It has like a little key next to your options that tells you how much everything is worth but there's no bar or anything to show how much you could potentially be trading, which seems like a confounding decision. I actually know and understand how it works from reading a guide and being familiar with RT but I still find it super confusing and I accidentally sold way more than I wanted to my first experience with it.
*Medicae is confusing to the point where I'm not sure if it's actually implemented or not. The way it's supposed to work according to the dialogue is if you do it within a certain point it takes away the post fight injuries you get. I've literally never seen it work though despite pumping one of my dudes full of the skill. I'm sure I misunderstanding it but at that point I've put a decent amount of time into the game and don't get a core mechanic so...
Meh:
*I'm only a couple of maps outside of the tutorial but the combat seems quite easy. I've only had a couple of close calls despite not being particularly engaged with the leveling system. I'm sure I'm doing the absolute opposite of min-maxing but I'm rolling just about everything. I will say thematically it makes sense for the routine combats to be kind of a power fantasy and they're only being a few fights that truly challenge you.
*This is really a personal opinion but I don't like having to hold tab to see interactable stuff. It's 2023, surely somebody has come up with a better solution than what they were doing in like Baulder's Gate.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 14, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Last day to take the beta survey.

I did find it funny they asked you to rate the attractiveness of the characters.

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyone who played the Wrath beta can verify bu from reading and watching streamers talk about it for that beta there was a ton of unfinished stuff even at the end of the beta run. It doesn't seem to be the case now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I did find it funny they asked you to rate the attractiveness of the characters.

I was very positive overall but I definitely took the chance to comment on that in the first text box they gave me after that question:

Hey, about the attractive question. This may not be your intent and if I misunderstood I apologize. That said, I really don't like the idea of "romance" in this game. I don't know that that's what you are talking about but, please, either don't include that or make it so you have to go out of your way. The retinue of a rogue trader are basically indentured servants/slaves and the power dynamics make incorporating a "romance" really hosed up. It's bad enough that Mass Effect forces you to be space Bill Clinton, I really, really don't want to role-play space Thomas Jefferson.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm gonna romance the chick with the third eye

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Buschmaki posted:

I'm gonna romance the chick with the third eye

The navigator probably has even more money than you do and wields considerable influence in society, so that’s fine from our ethical framework; her family would have you killed in the most blatant fashion though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
honestly everyone in your party save for maybe Abelard and Idira are either v. powerful in their own right or are there because they want to be and could bounce at any time.

it's the tens of thousands of deckhands who never leave the ship that are the real ones without agency

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I was very positive overall but I definitely took the chance to comment on that in the first text box they gave me after that question:

Hey, about the attractive question. This may not be your intent and if I misunderstood I apologize. That said, I really don't like the idea of "romance" in this game. I don't know that that's what you are talking about but, please, either don't include that or make it so you have to go out of your way. The retinue of a rogue trader are basically indentured servants/slaves and the power dynamics make incorporating a "romance" really hosed up. It's bad enough that Mass Effect forces you to be space Bill Clinton, I really, really don't want to role-play space Thomas Jefferson.

I get the intent but this reads like a Tumblr screed and it's going to a bunch of Russian gaming grognards who will have no clue why you mention US presidents or other video games.

There's at least 2 main party members on parity with the PC too, Henrik the Inq and the Navigator. Probably the Soritas as well if it's more of a 'teammate' then subordinate thing. The Tech Priest not sure how that works because if the Admech says no then it's not like they'll obey the RT.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh lol I just assumed the attractive thing was a bad translation (survey was pretty iffy on that) and thought they meant, like, how much do you like each character

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

romance with the dark elf companion

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaysBefore posted:

Oh lol I just assumed the attractive thing was a bad translation (survey was pretty iffy on that) and thought they meant, like, how much do you like each character

That's my hope

pentyne posted:

I get the intent but this reads like a Tumblr screed and it's going to a bunch of Russian gaming grognards who will have no clue why you mention US presidents or other video games.

There's at least 2 main party members on parity with the PC too, Henrik the Inq and the Navigator. Probably the Soritas as well if it's more of a 'teammate' then subordinate thing. The Tech Priest not sure how that works because if the Admech says no then it's not like they'll obey the RT.

I haven't ever been to Tumblr but I have been to Russia and you're making a lot of assumptions.

The sister and the navigator are absolutely not on your level. A navigator house itself doesn't have to necessarily answer to a rogue trader but an individual absolutely would. They go out of their way to talk about her being signed over to you in the game. I haven't run into the member of the Inquisition yet but my understanding is he's a member of the retinue not the inquisitor himself. Basically it's a whole bunch of people who directly answer to you but some of them maybe have other allegiances to other powers that are roughly equal to you or not far off

The Chief engineseer is the closest thing to a peer in RT fluff. This is in the sense that they would actually be paid a salary and would have the opportunity to leave the ship in some instances if they wanted to.

All in all I think there's a very good reason the majority of Black library stuff usually pointedly avoids these sorts of things.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think it's supposed to evoke fun swashbuckling adventures with romance like Pirates of the Carribean and not the slaver Thomas Jefferson assaulting his slaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's zero chance there's not going to be romance in this game and I can't imagine it's going to be difficult to find. You're just going to have to not engage.

Also I don't think the reason Black Library stuff generally doesn't have romance is because of power dynamics I'm pretty sure it's the belief that the core audience for those books don't give a gently caress about anything other than grim brooding and poo poo blowing up.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 15, 2023