Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mauser posted:

I can understand if it's kind of a defensive thing to not let people know you're driving while black. Still very disconcerting to look at an opaque box coming towards you and not have any idea how to react because I can't see a human anywhere in there.

How long until we get the real cool option where they just replace all the windows with cameras to get around restrictions on tinted windows? Bonus points for augmented reality where it doesn't show black people at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mauser posted:

I can understand if it's kind of a defensive thing to not let people know you're driving while black. Still very disconcerting to look at an opaque box coming towards you and not have any idea how to react because I can't see a human anywhere in there.

Had a car pull into the bike lane to park a little up the road from that incident and just didn't have any politely asking or yelling left in me. Luckily a lady cyclist came screaming down the other way, like literally screaming her head off, at the driver in the parked car and I gave her a little cheer.

Drivers can eat my sweaty rear end, but I'm more angry at the people who designed these places

:hai:

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I live in Chicago right now.

The L is fine, but has very limited coverage compared to NYC or large non-US cities, everyone I know gets around on the buses mostly

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Of hundreds of Tesla driver-assistance crashes, NHTSA has focused on about 40 Tesla incidents for further analysis, hoping to gain deeper insight into how the technology operates. Among them was the North Carolina crash involving Mitchell, the student disembarking from the school bus.

Afterward, Mitchell awoke in the hospital with no recollection of what happened. He still doesn’t grasp the seriousness of it, his aunt said. His memory problems are hampering him as he tries to catch up in school. Local outlet WRAL reported that the impact of the crash shattered the Tesla’s windshield.

The Tesla driver, Howard G. Yee, was charged with multiple offenses in the crash, including reckless driving, passing a stopped school bus and striking a person, a class I felony, according to North Carolina State Highway Patrol Sgt. Marcus Bethea.

Authorities said Yee had fixed weights to the steering wheel to trick Autopilot into registering the presence of a driver’s hands: Autopilot disables the functions if steering pressure is not applied after an extended amount of time. Yee did not respond to a request for comment.

NHTSA is still investigating the crash and an agency spokeswoman declined to offer further details, citing the ongoing investigation. Tesla asked the agency to exclude the company’s summary of the incident from public view, saying it “may contain confidential business information.”

Lynch said her family has kept Yee in their thoughts, and regards his actions as a mistake prompted by excessive trust in the technology, what experts call “automation complacency.”

“We don’t want his life to be ruined over this stupid accident,” she said.
But when asked about Musk, Lynch had sharper words.

“I think they need to ban automated driving,” she said. “I think it should be banned.”

I can respect this woman's capacity for forgiveness but I suspect calling setting up weights on ypur steering wheel to keep autopilot active while you doze off a "stupid accident" may also be a symptom of carbrain.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mystes posted:

wtf there's no actual driving test at all?! just a written test?

I never took one although I took driver's ed in high school. I've never had to have a driving test and neither has anyone I've known.

I guess they changed it so if you're 17 or if you have an expired (more than 2 years) out of state license you have to do a simple road test

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In Indiana if you pass a certified driver's ed course with a high enough score you can skip the written and practical, though the driver's ed one is a bit more intensive than the regular state version.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Blockade posted:

The L is fine, but has very limited coverage compared to NYC or large non-US cities, everyone I know gets around on the buses mostly

It always kills me to remember that a lot of the bus lines used to be streetcars, and in many cases the rails were paved right over in the 50s. Totally flat grid layout perfect for trains, bikes, walking turned into personal drag strips

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

I can respect this woman's capacity for forgiveness but I suspect calling setting up weights on ypur steering wheel to keep autopilot active while you doze off a "stupid accident" may also be a symptom of carbrain.

I want this dude’s life ruined on her behalf

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eXXon posted:

you can buy this poo poo from Amazon lol

the video in the product page shows exactly how to use it

they do make some amazing products

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Jesus christ

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just think of it as a bump stock for your car

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mawarannahr posted:

you can buy this poo poo from Amazon lol

the video in the product page shows exactly how to use it

they do make some amazing products

lmfao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

these are still worse

https://www.amazon.com/bottle-opener-seat-belt/s?k=bottle+opener+seat+belt

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Washingtons driver test felt pretty loving easy.

My parents wouldn't ~ let ~ me get a license when I was a minor and then I was too poor to buy a car so I couldnt save up enough to buy a car until 21. So I buy the car - 2500$ for a 1993 ford explorer in 2008, practice driving it a bunch and just hope I never get pulled over, then go to the DMV, took the written test on 1 try, get the permit but I couldnt do the permit to actual license same day. nothing in writing, just wouldnt let me. So I come back the next day to do my test test and it turns out the loving upper back light bar was burned out on the explorer therefor my car wasnt "road safe" and I had to fix it or find another car to borrow. So I look up the fix and lol lmao ford doesnt make the part anymore, no aftermarkets work, lovely special LED light balast. So I borrow someone elses car. Take the test, ended up being a solara or something and I smacked my head in the window checking behind me and all I did was turn right out onto a busy street, turn right again, turn left in a neighborhood, then come back to the DMV and got my license. that was it.

I just need to renew it online every year now.

I realize how amazing it was talking to people in countries where they require real learning to become a driver and the fact that I had never even seen the solara before that day is amazing. I didnt even know how to turn on the windshield wipers really or open the hood, etc. But it didnt matter. they never asked me!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was out in Yellowstone a couple weeks ago and ran into a huge traffic jam on the west side of the park. It was about six miles to the geysers so I figured gently caress it, I parked in a pull-out and started riding my bike the rest of the way. Didn't make it; there was a herd of buffalo milling about in the middle of the road, completely stopping traffic, and I wasn't about to try and ride past them on a bicycle. But the looks of disgust and honks of hatred I got on the way there just speeding past miles of stopped traffic made it all worth it. One guy in a truck even purposefully pulled forward to try and block my way, I just went around him the other way. I was sad to have missed the geysers but got to see a bunch of buffalo up close, and the ride back was even better, all the traffic was going the other way so I could just ride in the center of the lane.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On a bike could you cut through a herd of bison blocking the road quickly enough that they couldn't gore you?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yellowstone is basically one of those drive through safari parks at this point. I'm glad people get to experience it but it's so depressing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

lol what the gently caress is this

are these common in Canada?

Wow, looks like it’s really cold there for June

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

withak posted:

On a bike could you cut through a herd of bison blocking the road quickly enough that they couldn't gore you?

You first bud

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I would kill for those temperatures.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Legitimately shocked that the writer on the CNN article about NYCs new congestion pricing wrote about it both positively and basically mocked the "what about the low income drivers" by citing both that there are very few of those and there are programs to ease that pain.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/10/business/congestion-pricing-new-york-city-transportation/index.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

I really hope it actually works because I would like to believe that having a US city show that reducing car traffic improves things a lot with very little downside will change how people start thinking about this stuff at least a little

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Was idly thinking that to get bike lanes out of the gutter just put them in the median. Benefits of not getting right hooked and since you're by the driver you can be seen way easier

Of course streetsblog wrote about this a few months ago and was aghast at the concept, repeating over and over how Denmark and Netherlands don't do it, completely ignoring that in America every other vehicle is a f-150

mystes
May 31, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

Was idly thinking that to get bike lanes out of the gutter just put them in the median. Benefits of not getting right hooked and since you're by the driver you can be seen way easier

Of course streetsblog wrote about this a few months ago and was aghast at the concept, repeating over and over how Denmark and Netherlands don't do it, completely ignoring that in America every other vehicle is a f-150
The main problems are that 1) unless it's fully protected, you'll get drivers trying to illegally turn through the bike lane, 2) it's harder to get into/out of the bike lanes, 3) traffic lights will probably need to be changed

Pennsylvania ave in DC has the bike lanes in the middle (maybe not strictly a median but I'm not sure there's that much difference) and I don't hate it but once you're willing to do that level of reconfiguration I'm not sure it's necessarily easier than building other types of protected bike lanes

I think the biggest problem with building bike infrastructure is still just the complete lack of willingness to do anything more than paint bike icons in gutters and basically once people are willing to actually reconfigure stuff it will basically be better regardless of what specific design they choose

mystes has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Jun 11, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

unless it's fully protected,

Unless it's fully protected drivers will straight up murder cyclists out of spite if they think the cyclists are going faster than they are

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Unless it's fully protected drivers will straight up murder cyclists out of spite if they think the cyclists are going faster than they are
that actually doesn't usually happen as much in cities that actually have a lot of cyclists. it's more of a problem in shittier places but good luck getting them to build any bike infrastructure anyway

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Just want to ask the questions to see if this is a questions that should be asked.

Okay. Every person in the world gets a house, All 8 billion people. No Rent. No Mortgage.
Or all 360 million people in the usa get a house. A person Turns 17 - house. with Electricity, plumbing, lighting,

How big can that house be, and what sort of appliances, come with it, Fridge, washer, dryer.
What kind of problems would also arise from just everybody having a house. Would everybody just run to living in Major cities.

Apr 7, 2003

There are a significant number of people who have no interest in living in major cities, and that's fine.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are a significant number of people who have no interest in living in major cities, and that's fine.

Then that is the opposite question of, how far away can a person live before they are unhooked from the electrical grid, or plumbing system.

i heard the complaints about how Yimbys are gearing up to be land owners, so what are the problems of just giving everybody a house? What's stopping it?
There is a dollar amount on to it, but who cares money is fake. What is the cost of resources?
It has go to be cheaper than our car based society where roads are worn down constantly, or some rich person owning 20 houses that are the sizes for farms.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Jun 11, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blockade posted:

yeah when i lived there we took the bus and made a lot more transfers between modes of conveyance over the course of a trip. then my last year we got an apt in a building with an alley and got a car to park under the wooden back patio/fire escape every chicago alley apt had at that time. not sure if they got rid of those this millenium. wooden fireescapes covering a fleet of teslas seems like a bad thing

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

mystes posted:

The main problems are that 1) unless it's fully protected, you'll get drivers trying to illegally turn through the bike lane, 2) it's harder to get into/out of the bike lanes, 3) traffic lights will probably need to be changed

Pennsylvania ave in DC has the bike lanes in the middle (maybe not strictly a median but I'm not sure there's that much difference) and I don't hate it but once you're willing to do that level of reconfiguration I'm not sure it's necessarily easier than building other types of protected bike lanes

I think the biggest problem with building bike infrastructure is still just the complete lack of willingness to do anything more than paint bike icons in gutters and basically once people are willing to actually reconfigure stuff it will basically be better regardless of what specific design they choose

On the plus side, no one is gonna double park in the middle of the road

But yeah the whole thought exercise if what if bare minimum piece of paint, but in middle rather than gutter full of snow/water/doors/loading trucks

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Jun 11, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Just want to ask the questions to see if this is a questions that should be asked.

Okay. Every person in the world gets a house, All 8 billion people. No Rent. No Mortgage.
Or all 360 million people in the usa get a house. A person Turns 17 - house. with Electricity, plumbing, lighting,

How big can that house be, and what sort of appliances, come with it, Fridge, washer, dryer.
What kind of problems would also arise from just everybody having a house. Would everybody just run to living in Major cities.

That's, like, a really big question there.

Who is paying, what does the bidding process look like, where are these apartments, how many do we need to build a year, etc. China shows us that it is possible to wholesale just put up an entire new city somewhere to at least some quality standard, but that was mostly investor capitalism afaik.

E: And Phoenix, though I hope you pick a better spot than they did.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

trevorreznik posted:

On the plus side, no one is gonna double park in the middle of the road

Hahahahahahaha

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Move all the parking to the middle of the road, use the old parking for protected bike lanes, and use the old bike gutters for widened sidewalks.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
If you move all the parking to the middle of the road, then you can add more parking instead of a bike lane.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I think it's a pretty attainable goal, at least in the US.

There are about 580,000 homless people in the United States.

Let's say we wanted to house every single one of them by building simple six pack or dingbat apartment buildings that can be slotted in to any neighborhood in place of a single family home. Let's also figure on building as small a verision of the building as possible to minimize impact - so six 600 sqft units per building.

So, at six units a building, that would take around 97,000 new buildings. If we budget an average of a million dollars per building, that would cost 97 billion dollars or about 11% of one year of the defense budget.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

If you move all the parking to the middle of the road, then you can add more parking instead of a bike lane.

If we take out the travel lanes, we can add even more parking.

Just pack them all in, pave over the tops of the cars, and then never talk about the weird humps in the middle of our streets ever again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Damaging my spine from the contortions required to make mass private automobile ownership safe and sustainable.

Weembles posted:

If we take out the travel lanes, we can add even more parking.

Just pack them all in, pave over the tops of the cars, and then never talk about the weird humps in the middle of our streets ever again.

Ok so you can still own a car as long as it's completely encased in concrete. I can live with that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SimonSays posted:

Hahahahahahaha

This is super common around seattle. a ton of delivery folks use the center lane on 3 lane roads to stop and unload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How about: remove all parking on the road.

End.