Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

handheld game vibes is a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It reminds me of modern disgaea, which is probably intentional

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

It makes sense they're doing this for P3 since it's the odd one out for having a completely half-assed dogshit rerelease on PC and other platforms.
If it gives me a chance to play the game with even a single chance of liking Junpei thanks to an English dub recast, then maybe it's worth that alone? But man I'd really love a rewrite or the chance to just... not participate in the Hashino Women Thing stuff like babe hunt. A "Haha no, I'm gay" option if you will.
i mean p5 had that stuff too why would they cut it

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It took me a while to figure out that the trailer that got leaked was a Spanish trailer, at first I just thought Atlus was being pretentious and throwing a lot of Latin text on the screen. Also I think it's safe to assume the games won't actually be Xbox/PC only

As the first title in the modern Persona series, Persona 3 has a lot of flaws and wonder how many of them they will actually address in the remake. Boring Tartarus exploration, weird difficulty balancing on bosses, no integration between story and dungeon, boring/unlikable social link characters etc. Not hugely optimistic as I have the feeling it's like a practice game for the new Persona team to work on before Persona 6 goes into full production and they're probably inclined to stick closely to the "vision" of the original.
At the least it'll be nice to have a version of the game available that has stuff like actual walking around in the town, cutscenes, etc that were removed in P3P.

Comedy option: In the interest of being a completely faithful remake of P3, they remove the ability to control your party members.
Closer examination of the trailer confirms that's not true of course.

Wonder if P5T was originally going to be a mobile game.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think she's overwhelmingly more popular unless your sample size is like, this thread only lol.
the popularity poll someone posted as proof of her being popular had male mc in first place, lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's been like 7 years since P5 so I think it's possible they might cut the operation babe hunt crap, or at least the 'punchline' to it, times have changed etc, but not holding my breath.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's been like 7 years since P5 so I think it's possible they might cut the operation babe hunt crap, or at least the 'punchline' to it, times have changed etc, but not holding my breath.

Keeping the punchline would be loving crazy, but I guess time will tell lol

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Comedy option: In the interest of being a completely faithful remake of P3, they remove the ability to control your party members.
Closer examination of the trailer confirms that's not true of course.

they should have

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

glad we're getting new tracks, if nothing else, I suppose

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I hope the remake still has the mechanic where if you grind too much all your party members get tired and tell you to gently caress off before leaving for the night.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sydin posted:

I hope the remake still has the mechanic where if you grind too much all your party members get tired and tell you to gently caress off before leaving for the night.

KEN: "I'm not tired!!"
FUUKA: "Ken-kun looks tired!"

On a random note, kind of wonder why they went so hard on the "water" motif for the game's UI and such, only reason I can think is the game taking place in a seaside town. UI/graphic design looks cool though which is the most important thing in modern Persona games. Though outside of that the game honestly looks worse graphically than P5 and outside of character models not really as huge an improvement over the PS2 original as one might expect. I guess it's easy to forget that Atlus is still kind of a mid-tier studio production value-wise and they are just good at glossing it up with cool graphic design and music and such.

I would like to see more varied level designs in Tartarus at least or some unique floors here and there like P4 had.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 9, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, it was gonna be that or a "shooting yourself in the face" UI, and on balance, the drowning motif would be a whole lot easier to make presentable.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The new P5 game just looks like the gaming equivalent of a filler arc in anime, we already had the dancing game and Q2 had the hook of the interactions of the P3, P4 and P5 casts so what is the point of this one besides more original P5 cast I guess.

At least make it a Strikers and Royal sequel and have Sophia, Zenkichi and Kasumi be a part of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they could have just had a fun idea for a game

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Just make a Devil Survivor 3

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No one is talking about the tactics game and the persona 5 mobile game. P5 is dead.

Long Live Persona 3, our old king.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I think the tactics game looks cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The trailer for the Persona 5 tactics game looked neat, seems like they have some good ideas on how to translate Persona gameplay to that kind of tactical game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm interested to see what they do with it. Honestly I'm more interested in a P5 SRPG than Persona 3, But Prettier. There just really isn't that much to say about it right now? We've only seen a short teaser trailer for it after all, while Persona 3 is a known quantity both mechanically and plotwise so there's a lot to discuss even just about what we would personally change if we were in charge of the project.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

I genuinely hope they do. I hope they keep all the reversing links and stuff as well, though they might have to change how it happens since man if we're getting at least one rewrite I hope it's changing the routes with the ladies to not be forced romances.

Those are two things that make P3's social sim side and dungeon crawling way different than the sequels and it'd be a shame to trash them even though it bugs some people imo. Though I imagine for the tired part they'll go the P3P route where it doesn't really matter all that much due to the tiredness only happening when you leave the dungeon as opposed to happening in the middle of the floor and the affected member just peacing out

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly for me it's just Persona 5 fatigue. I love the dumb little crew but Strikers gave me my fill of extra content. If they had given me another year or two before adding in Q2 and Tactica I might have been more excited, but... eh.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I genuinely hope they do. I hope they keep all the reversing links and stuff as well, though they might have to change how it happens since man if we're getting at least one rewrite I hope it's changing the routes with the ladies to not be forced romances.

Those are two things that make P3's social sim side and dungeon crawling way different than the sequels and it'd be a shame to trash them even though it bugs some people imo. Though I imagine for the tired part they'll go the P3P route where it doesn't really matter all that much due to the tiredness only happening when you leave the dungeon as opposed to happening in the middle of the floor and the affected member just peacing out

Doesn't Tired also happen if a party member is dead and you only revive them after battle? It's been a while.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't think the drop down in QOL from P5R is as drastic as people say. I'm pretty sensitive to getting frustrated with older games and I played p3p and P4 just fine without to many complaints. I'll still probably try the remake because I have never played as male MC.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't think the drop down in QOL from P5R is as drastic as people say. I'm pretty sensitive to getting frustrated with older games and I played p3p and P4 just fine without to many complaints. I'll still probably try the remake because I have never played as male MC.

Honestly the only QoL feature I really need for a modern version of Persona 3 is to not have random skill inheritance when fusing and considering how the Nocturne remaster nixed that I'd be very surprised if they kept it in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The remake is going to cut all the bits of interesting friction while still somehow not meaningfully updating any of the systems, and we all need to be ready for that

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Having never touched P3, i'm all for the remake because the version on Steam looks like fried rear end, and you can't go wrong with modern spit and polish.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

The remake is going to cut all the bits of interesting friction while still somehow not meaningfully updating any of the systems, and we all need to be ready for that

Yeah..... :sigh:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Doesn't Tired also happen if a party member is dead and you only revive them after battle? It's been a while.

I'm actually not sure, I played FES back in like 2008 or whenever and haven't touched the game since. I'd heard the PSP game made it so that the party didn't get tired until you go back to the main area so you could effectively dungeon crawl forever without too many penalties though?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having never touched P3, i'm all for the remake because the version on Steam looks like fried rear end, and you can't go wrong with modern spit and polish.

Kinda same. After blowing through P5R, Strikers, and P4G at the end of last year/start of this year I got the version of P3 on Steam and just bounced off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wonder if Audio Technica commemoratively releases an update to Minato’s clip-on earphones (I have a black pair; slightly different model).

Shyrka posted:

Kinda same. After blowing through P5R, Strikers, and P4G at the end of last year/start of this year I got the version of P3 on Steam and just bounced off.

Might have been too much Persona.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah..... :sigh:

I'm actually not sure, I played FES back in like 2008 or whenever and haven't touched the game since. I'd heard the PSP game made it so that the party didn't get tired until you go back to the main area so you could effectively dungeon crawl forever without too many penalties though?

In P3P, the party doesn't get tired until you leave, or if you head back to the main area while they're unconscious, which is a free revive but makes them tired. Instead, healing at the entrance costs money, but you can keep a Tartarus run going indefinitely with no penalties, as long as you earn more than you spend.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

No one is talking about how the tactic games looks like rear end. Like a 3DS game port

I'm reserving total judgement until I see a more in depth look at how it plays but yeah it really does look like a 3DS game at first glance and not just because of the Q art style. Even then something about the characters looks a little off to me though, particularly Morgana.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looking at the wiki and

quote:

In Persona 3, characters don't get tired on days before the full-moon and in FES, if a party member gets tired on the day before the full-moon, they will not return home after returning to the entrance of Tartarus.

Okay I understand what it actually means but 'if a party member is tired, they will not return home' is so ominous out of context, it's hilarious.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
P3 remake looks fine, good god people need to chill. Way more excited to see what Atlus will do with P6. Even more excited if they ditch the series and move on to a whole new IP.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I do not know how anyone can look at what Atlus has done with the Persona IP for the past like 10 years and conclude "they're going to ditch it"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

I do not know how anyone can look at what Atlus has done with the Persona IP for the past like 10 years and conclude "they're going to ditch it"

For real, Shin Megami Tensei fans in general have been eating well the last few years. This is a great time to be a fan.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Persona isn't smt. I want smt more than I want persona.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

smt is the one other series they keep making boilerplate entries for to the exclusion of anything else

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s also the less popular one so it would get the axe first before the one that makes them a lot of money

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s also the less popular one so it would get the axe first before the one that makes them a lot of money

Releasing the latest and best (mechanically, not storywise) title on something other than switch would help.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Give me... Devil Survivor 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I literally snorted at an online argument about how P5 has been milked for 6 years now and the retort was 'well with the remake, P3's now been milked for 17 years so P5's still got some catching up to do'.