Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if the gear has a different glamour applied you will not get the same results. It reapplies the glamour fresh each time you change gearsets in a rested area, so if you glamoured your helm off plate for example it would stay in its current appearance instead of matching the plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr. Neutron posted:

When I am in a non-rested area I always get a 'could not apply glamours here' message when I switch to a different glamour plate.

But the glamour seems to apply just fine from what I can see so...what's the error about?

If you're switching to a completely different armor set (Like from caster to tank) it won't matter. If you're swapping within the same armor set and level range (Like level 60 SCH to level 62 AST) and have different glams for each you'll wind up with one class wearing the other's clothes. And if you happen to have class-specific gear equipped, it will show the base item instead on the class that doesn't match.

e: for example, my Red Mage is dressed like this:

while my Summoner is dressed like this:

It's the same underlying armor, but if I leave town as Summoner, then swap to Red Mage out in the field, I wind up wearing the bright pink robes, which do not match my RDM aesthetic.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 28, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Okay I see, thanks. Another two random questions:

1) is there really no way to bind chat log position to hud template?

2) why do some dungeons scale your ilvl while others do not? for example Hullbreaker isle or Stone Vigil (hard) do but Sastasha(hard) does not.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr. Neutron posted:

Okay I see, thanks. Another two random questions:

1) is there really no way to bind chat log position to hud template?

2) why do some dungeons scale your ilvl while others do not? for example Hullbreaker isle or Stone Vigil (hard) do but Sastasha(hard) does not.

There's still ilvl scaling in level capped dungeons, you can't use the ilvl of like your level 90 character in a level 50 instance without undersized partying it. It's just on instances without explicit ilvl scaling the maximum is whatever the gear capped out at for that level, so like 135 for 50, etc. As for why some are and some aren't explicitly capped it has to do with the patch cycle, some dungeons came earlier when ilvls are lower so to preserve the challenge of those dungeons they have a explicit ilvl cap.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For 2), you will notice that the dungeons that specify that they scale to a particular ilvl are dungeons that are either 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90. Every single piece of content in the game scales down ilvl/level if you are above it, but the ones at 50/60/70/80/90 have to specify that ilvl because of how ilvl increases in the post-expansion patches. So one dungeon at level 80 might have been originally released at around 500 ilvl, and another one at 530, etc.

Ultimately you don't need to worry about it, whatever dungeon you join will scale you appropriately.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Crafting leves are stupid busted OP now(?) so I wrote up a guide on which ones to spam your way up to 90 with ease, since certain leves are disproportionately good for no good reason. May I post it here?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

https://pastebin.com/ZQypnWXD
It's a little haphazard and thrown together, but I've done my best to go through all the leves for every crafter and highlight the best/most efficient ones at any point... if they're not on here they're probably not worth doing, especially since leves are time-restricted!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
You know how this thread always warns people about the post ARR slog?

You ought to be warning them about Stormblood instead.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stormblood is good

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

IDK, that post-ARR sequence was so brutal that modest slogs from other arcs do nothing to me.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Every xpack has slow bits but nothing is as long and drawn out as 2.1-2.5

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

please don't post mistruths and lies in the new player thread

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Stormblood has the problem of initially being planned as two expansions, so you have the intro parts of two expansions to get through before you can get to the condensed meat of those two expansions finally paying off.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stormblood would have been goddamn unbearable as two expansions, they were right to condense it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm simpatico with Stormblood because much like Stormblood I also got bored of Ala Mhigo almost instantly and wanted to go anywhere else.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

stormblood is good but it's something you get through asap so you can get to the absolute transcendence that shadowbringers is

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Mr. Neutron posted:

No, ARR is the loving worst.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Arist posted:

Stormblood is good

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Arist posted:

Stormblood is good

And Stormblood patches are some of the best in the game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know I've seen people say this "X Expansion was planned as two" more than once and I want to know does anyone actually have anything to support this or is it just an assumption made from there's kinda two parts to this expansion and they don't mesh together entirely well sometimes

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Does anyone say that about any expansion aside from stormblood?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've seen it said about Endwalker too

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

With EW the story MSQ is supposedly both the main story and the x.0 through x.3 patches matched together, but I don't really see it. With Stormblood its just that its covering two completely different regions which only have "rebelling against the empire" stringing them together, and it would have been a lot better if they focused on one or the other.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

In both cases they've mentioned in interviews that expansion crush happened, it's not fan bullshit. Stormblood got compacted because it would have been the same themes and plot beats across two expansions, Endwalker got compacted bc ??? (I genuinely don't remember if they said why, it might have been just wanting to rush to wrap up the major arc that started in ARR faster).

E: and EW was genuinely two full expansions when originally planned, not an expansion plus patches—people talking about the choice have said the breathing room provided by bleeding it into the patches would have helped the severe pacing issues, but interviews indicated two full expansions.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I like the way Stormblood works. The whole reason you go across the world to Doma is explicitly because resistance in Ala Mhigo is too heavy, so we split their attention between the two opposite ends of the Empire by helping our friend Yugiri to reclaim HER homeland. By doing that, we split the Empire's attention to two fronts, and that is explicitly why we are able to succeed, in combination with convincing Doman conscripts in Ala Mhigo to defect now that their homeland isn't being held hostage to use as leverage against them.

Stormblood is not a bad expansion. At worst, it's a 7/10 flanked by an 11/10 on both sides of it. 7/10 may be a meme rating, but it's not a bad one.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Like Clockwork posted:

In both cases they've mentioned in interviews that expansion crush happened, it's not fan bullshit. Stormblood got compacted because it would have been the same themes and plot beats across two expansions, Endwalker got compacted bc ??? (I genuinely don't remember if they said why, it might have been just wanting to rush to wrap up the major arc that started in ARR faster).

E: and EW was genuinely two full expansions when originally planned, not an expansion plus patches—people talking about the choice have said the breathing room provided by bleeding it into the patches would have helped the severe pacing issues, but interviews indicated two full expansions.
Endwalker got the Garlemald expansion rolled into it because they didn't want to just do Stormblood 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It tends to be developer interviews where we get details about how the sausage is made. I know the Endwalker one was from an interview with Famitsu, https://www.famitsu.com/news/202203/16254602.html (it's in Japanese, I'm taking it on faith that it says what I've been told it says). It would've ended at (being intentionally coy because this is the newbie thread) the level 83 dungeon boss and knowing that the parts for the next couple of levels clearly feel like they could have been X.3 and X.5 patch content. Early in development they decided that would be kinda thin, and so merged it with the story that was going to come next. What really worked in its favor was that they decided early enough that the arc stayed consistent, there wasn't a climax for one side of things that had to be pushed behind the rest of the content like Stormblood had, instead they took their climax and kept going from there.

I can't find a similar source for Stormblood, just a couple of comments that the second part was supposed to be a "surprise" to players when the narrative was clearly pointing to the first part. Given the time spent over there when the "main plot" is pointing at staying in Eorzea and the audible *clunk* when it shifts onto those tracks, fan speculation abounds trying to reconcile it.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

^^ Yeah a big issue with sourcing is that a lot of the interviews aren't translated officially, and trying to keep track of fan translations that aren't collected or are otherwise scattered/difficult-to-impossible to properly archive is, a nightmare.

Stormblood has some dud moments (including an arc that, for me, taints the experience of the rest of the expansion bc it's so bad Tsuyu arc is the worst msq writing in the entire game, prove me wrong) but yeah, overall it's an expansion I greatly enjoy and while I still like Heavensward more I think I prefer 4.0 to 5.0, Shadowbringers really needed those patches to really hit imo (ShB ain't bad by any means, I just found it to overall have much lower emotional peaks).

Not to say I wouldn't gladly leave the Ruby Sea on the cutting room floor even with all that. The Ruby Sea is the single worst area of 4.0, just absolutely miserable area to deal with and it should have been replaced with More Doma or More Ala Mhigo. (Joke option: replace it with More Azim Steppe)

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 10, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like Clockwork posted:

Tsuyu arc is the worst msq writing in the entire game, prove me wrong

no

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like Clockwork posted:

(ShB ain't bad by any means, I just found it to overall have much lower emotional peaks).

???????

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The main problems with Stormblood relate to pacing rather than the actual content

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

Tsuyu arc is the worst msq writing in the entire game, prove me wrong

This is correct, that arc is awful, but ShB is nothing but gold the entire way through, even well before the patches.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Arist posted:

???????

Putting this behind spoilers bc it's the newbie thread, It is a very generic kind of fantasy story and the scenes that are supposed to have major emotional impact just didn't hit with me, what the gently caress do you want? I don't care deeply about Emet even if he's a fine character, a lot of the other major emotional scenes were about characters I also didn't care about/like (gently caress G'raha, I was glad he got shot), and Ryne can't carry an expansion on her back.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

(gently caress G'raha, I was glad he got shot)

excuse you???????

this is the worst take i've ever seen

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 10, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

emet is a chump and i cannot stand him but i suspect that may be because i am just sick to death of ascians in general

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I have never liked G'raha! He was annoying when he first showed up, he was a creep who lacked boundaries later, and EW made both of those traits way loving worse because the writers seem completely oblivious to the fact that his character flaws are, in fact, character flaws! The Ultima Thule scene was such a blatant display of emotional manipulation presented as something endearing and not loving creepy as hell that it made me physically ill!

v I am aware of the unpopularity of my character takes, and have no interest in going deeper because nobody is going to change their minds here, the scene I mentioned did genuinely make me sick for hours and tainted the experience of the rest of the area for me, and not in the way the devs intended.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 10, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lmao, but also it's probably a good idea to move this specific topic of discussion elsewhere. That said, even that has risks, as I foresee it causing A Ruckus in the other threads.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Relyssa posted:

excuse you???????

this is the worst take i've ever seen

you should probably fix these tags btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arist posted: