Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

are there any trad-ish roguelikes that have significant character building apart from TOME? i want to put points in skills, talent trees are cool, that kind of thing. tome is rad but i've played it to gently caress and im waiting for the next update. a lot of the other roguelikes i've tried don't really have "builds" and that's no fun for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Dungeons of Dredmore? The crafting system is the devil if you like to hoard equipment. But it has great skills.

Actually I should recommend Dungeonmans before that. It isn't quite as focused on setting up the perfect build. But it is a lot better about respecting your time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Magitek posted:

Yeah, the minion takes double damage after the necromancer dies and double again while standing in shadow stink zones. I’ll typically chip away at the minion while disrupting/dodging the necro’s blasts, with the eventual goal of bursting down the big lad within a couple turns while he’s taking quad damage.

Oh, this was without the double damage effect. :getin:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Voidigo question. What's the point of the boss / weapon / poweup essences you get?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any trad-ish roguelikes that have significant character building apart from TOME? i want to put points in skills, talent trees are cool, that kind of thing. tome is rad but i've played it to gently caress and im waiting for the next update. a lot of the other roguelikes i've tried don't really have "builds" and that's no fun for me

caves of qud

rift wizard and path of achra are both very stripped-down trad roguelikes where pretty much the entire game is making builds.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Artelier posted:

Yo this game is tight af. Like it feels so good to select the cards, and the sounds just feel so satisfying, and then racking up massive amounts of discard to get a normally-very-rare poker hand into massive points is just perfect
yeah it's really good, recommend highly even if I have no idea how you're actually supposed to win (nothing scales enough except something like Crystal Ball + "1 mult per tarot card used" or Planetarium happening to hit the same hand over and over)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

this seems cool, if you're trying to show off these gifs specifically i'd add a freeze at the end so we can actually see what's going on lol

Yeah, sorry. I tried to leave a bit of a pause in but I clearly got antsy and pressed the "stop recording" button too soon.

Seconding the recommendations for Dungeonmans and Caves of Qud re: games where you can customize your build. Also DoomRL.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Another vote/shout out for DoomRL, Caves of Qud and Dredmor.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

This may seem like joke but uhh, Ultimate ADOM

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pladdicus posted:

This may seem like joke but uhh, Ultimate ADOM

Yeah, that is a joke. UADOM is unfinished and abandoned. Original ADOM isn't far off the mark though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Hasn't updated in awhile due to the dev having a full plate in life otherwise, but I maintain optimism despite it all for Axu:

https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tangledeep might meet your needs! You can pick a character class which has passive and active abilities to learn, then change class and learn new things, and combine them with abilities from your previous classes. Also you grow weapon skills, and can develop pets too (but they're a lot simpler).

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Jupiter Hell is cool and has builds. The combat is very "active", but I can't say if it will hit the same buttons for you as TOME. I enjoyed both for what it's worth. It is more "press this item to get out of a jam" rather than "push these 5 skills to melt the screen".

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Yeah, that is a joke. UADOM is unfinished and abandoned. Original ADOM isn't far off the mark though.

normal ADOM, while a real game that can be played and enjoyed unlike UADOM, is like the opposite of a Character Building game to me. almost every character will want to do the same things, take the same skills, same talents, same equipment, etc if presented with the option. and if they don't it's cuz of like one choice at character creation, instead of any intricate build planning stuff.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Just finished with Tangledeep after the recommendation of this thread. My thoughts:

I enjoyed it overall. B+, the plot was a little weird and simple but I think they were aping the feeling of poorly translated SNES games. The turn based movement flows very much like an action RPG, and then you can slow down for more tactical combat, which I really like. There are a lot of great quality of life options that should have been in these kind of games ages ago, like “sell all common gear” and 6 different ways to order items in a list. Really great music, a little derivative of Secret of Mana, but anything you can enjoy after hearing 300 times is good in my book.

This thing is pretty buggy on switch. Not in any ways that will make it harder for you, but just weird things like skill icons not showing up, being unable to buy from a random merchant because the cursor is stuck, that kind of thing.

Fun, but some classes just kick the ever-living poo poo out of the game. I know it’s rated easy, but Floramancers don’t even have to fight anything. Just send the Floriconda ahead and when it takes too much damage summon another one.

The item dreams and pets may not be mandatory, but it’s very hard to get far without them. The pandora’s boxes make the loot better, but it’s still really random what you’re going to get compared to picking an item and going into it. Charms for monsters wear off and they don’t follow you up levels unless you’re playing the alternate mode where there’s no other way to get pets.

I died so many times to void levels in item dreams. The enemies just swarm all over you and there’s nowhere to escape or hide. I think 90 percent of my deaths were in items, mostly because of those levels.

The balance of using both food and flasks for healing was very interesting. I very rarely used 2/3rds of the food items though, because using one before combat means you limit the possibilities for healing for relatively minor boosts.

All in all, well worth the $20 it sells for, and good for roguelite fans as well, due to the not-permadeath option that still has some punishments built in, and the ability to store items for future characters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I guess you played it on the Switch? On PC you can get it much cheaper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

normal ADOM, while a real game that can be played and enjoyed unlike UADOM, is like the opposite of a Character Building game to me. almost every character will want to do the same things, take the same skills, same talents, same equipment, etc if presented with the option. and if they don't it's cuz of like one choice at character creation, instead of any intricate build planning stuff.

Hence me saying "not far off". Even if it presents only the illusion of choice the choice is still there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems Brotato 1.0 will be out in June 23th. I watched a small trailer in one of those indie showcase/expo streams.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Got the true ending in Alina of the Arena (on my 8th run, and my second run that won at all). I was expecting the demon to be an option and not just "you beat Sir Knight? ok now fight this dude immediately" but I still managed to squeak out a win with my dagger/shield warrior. It was actually a pretty nice build once it came together, I got the Chrono Bracer (all card drops are upgraded but you cannot remove cards) and ended up picking up a bunch of block, shield dash, and jump smash cards, giving me good mobility and excellent damage when paired with the blocking.

The game does have a bug where if you alt-tab it starts skipping all the dialogue, though, so I had to re-watch it in youtube to actually figure out what was said.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just read the last ~8,000 posts in this thread to learn more about roguelikes and how to choose and play them. It has been great, you’re all wonderful posters.

I witnessed the birth of the questionable term “mprog”, and I was sure that the Big Bia localization saga was going to be resolved by the time I caught up to the thread, along with the TOME DLC, but no, we have been denied!

I’m interested in recs for turn-based or “slow paced” roguelikes that are good to play on the Steam Deck, especially ones that are good to learn on the Steam Deck. I’m a little lost in the Deck control scheme for Alina-Arena at present, but I bet it’ll be clearer if I play it on desktop for a bit.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Jupiter Hell plays excellently on the Deck, I actually prefer it to playing on desktop.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tendales posted:

Jupiter Hell plays excellently on the Deck, I actually prefer it to playing on desktop.

And I already own it, perfect!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ToME dlc is coming sometime soon i think but we still don't know how big the bia is

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tendales posted:

Do you use the default config or one of these community ones?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Jazerus posted:

ToME dlc is coming sometime soon i think but we still don't know how big the bia is

We've been zooming slowly out on a shot of the bia this whole time, and one day the glorious time will come when we can see the edges of the bia and finally know how big is really is

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i can't believe tome DLC is happening and yet the size of the bia is still indeterminate

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know how close the ToME DLC actually is. DarkGod talked about allowing beta testers in the most recent patch notes for the main game and he basically said expect a bunch of stuff to be broken. Doesn't sound like it's gonna be this month or anything.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
To be fair, I haven't seen any proof of the ToME DLC is happening anytime soon either.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

tome dlc has been "coming soon" for like 8 months

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

tome dlc has been "coming soon" for like 8 years

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

tome dlc has been "coming soon" for like 8 months

it's been coming soon since like 2020 but there was also radio silence for 3 years so the fact that the dev finally reappeared to go like "no really, soon" indicates that it'll be like, another 2 years tops

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

they're just following the OMOCAT school of communication

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Just whining but I do miss the days when we had an active Tome4 thread and it was full of builds and things were released and tweaked (and how Archmage was always, always godlike since its the dev's pet class). DCSS thread was similarly great back then. Mostly just miss things happening!

I know times change and this is just a normal part of me turning into a fossil but I do kinda miss when the roguelike thread was (and honestly could be) focused on what are called traditional roguelikes I guess these days.

tl;dr bad poster yells at moon about nothing :v:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

John Lee posted:

We've been zooming slowly out on a shot of the bia this whole time, and one day the glorious time will come when we can see the edges of the bia and finally know how big is really is

It turns out the brains of english speakers are too small to measure the bia :/

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I started trying to make a new ToME thread but I no longer actually play it so felt inappropriate.
Might play it when the DLC drops so I can weep at the inevitable nerf to Dust Mage and whatever they renamed Gravelord to (Praetor?).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Got my first Balatro win after 7+ hours I highly recommend this game if the words "single player poker roguelite" tickles your brain in any way there's a free playtest going on right now on Steam I really appreciate all the gems this thread brings anyway please play Balatro

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

orphean posted:

Just whining but I do miss the days when we had an active Tome4 thread and it was full of builds and things were released and tweaked (and how Archmage was always, always godlike since its the dev's pet class). DCSS thread was similarly great back then. Mostly just miss things happening!

I know times change and this is just a normal part of me turning into a fossil but I do kinda miss when the roguelike thread was (and honestly could be) focused on what are called traditional roguelikes I guess these days.

tl;dr bad poster yells at moon about nothing :v:

I miss it too. The ToME thread was fantastic and there are some great players on SA who could speak about builds and paths at length. I keep saying I’d like to do more with tome and dcss, but I only get a couple hours each week to work on projects, unfortunately.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Artelier posted:

Got my first Balatro win after 7+ hours I highly recommend this game if the words "single player poker roguelite" tickles your brain in any way there's a free playtest going on right now on Steam I really appreciate all the gems this thread brings anyway please play Balatro

omg how the hell did you manage to win

I have not gotten past ante 8 ever, I just can't find anything that scales enough (the two contenders I've seen are "adds # times hand has been played to mult" and "adds # tarot cards used to mult" because both can scale 1:1 with rounds or even slightly better if you're lucky)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 12, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

Oh gently caress this is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hmm, finished Alina of the Arena, I was planning to move on to Chrono Ark but it looks like it's not finished yet. Tainted Grail definitely won't run on my laptop, and I find the artwork of Dicey Dungeons actually pretty offputting.

Maybe it's time to see if Jupiter Hell has received enough optimization passes to actually be playable on the laptop? Last time I played the graphics were completely unreadable at the lowest settings but it ran at like 2fps at anything higher.