Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Al! posted:

lord help me im considering driving to walmart and buying whatever cheapo fightstick they have there

I mentioned this in the fighting game thread but unless you are already a stick user or really like the nostalgia it’s not worth learning on stick. The execution to control your character is still going to take months to learn and for competitive play it’s probably the input device with the most disadvantages compared to pad or leverless hitbox style controllers. I say this as someone who owns 8 different arcade sticks at home. Practice with a controller you are comfortable with and you will improve over time. Don’t make the mistake of thinking if you switch you will suddenly improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PantsBandit posted:

World Tour really is such a great idea for a fighting game I can't believe it hasn't been done before. Letting you pick any style you want essentially makes it both a single player mode and an extended character tutorial for any given character. It's genius.

MK Konquest mode

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
People have been suggesting Shaolin Monks 2 for years, it's entirely NRS's fault for getting beat to the punch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Al! posted:

lord help me im considering driving to walmart and buying whatever cheapo fightstick they have there

prolly only gonna find gamepads there

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Anyone got a good Guile beginner video around? I was looking but didn't see anything that was as comprehensive as I'd like. Not sure who to follow for that kinda thing either, tbh.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

mycot posted:

People have been suggesting Shaolin Monks 2 for years, it's entirely NRS's fault for getting beat to the punch.

Hell, MK11's Krypt has you running around as some dude exploring Shang Tsung's island, solving puzzles, and paying to open chests. They could have easily made it into a full-fledged campaign if they wanted instead of making it where you waste your time trying to find unlocks for your character

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Basticle posted:

I was curious and looked up my ranked history down in the dregs of Iron

Zero Guiles or Dhalsims (except for one of the Randoms)

you make this yourself or is there a site scraping stats?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

you make this yourself or is there a site scraping stats?

I just looked at my match history in-game and tallied it up and spent 2 minutes in google sheets

I should have mentioned that those stats are per-player. I didnt count multiple matches against the same person.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Got to a 15 win streak on the battlehub, then got a line where I finally lost to a modern JP who played like a crazy person. Beat him once, then lost the second time and he left

But jokes on him because I got another 12 win streak and he came back, and I got the perfects I was after

The battlehub showing win streaks stuff was such a good idea. Though it does make me more likely to just sit on the cabinet taking easy wins rather than finding an equal match..

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
You do have me curious how the streak hunting is handled for people like me, who have exclusively been searching for matches from training mode. Am I immune to streak breakers or what

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Lol this tournament I’m in told everyone months ago “this will be the ps5 version of the game. Make sure you have a controller that works. Check here for details”

Pools are getting held up bad because there’s always multiple matches being held up by people waiting to borrow the one Brook adapter rotating around the building. Come on DQ these guys

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsBandit posted:

World Tour really is such a great idea for a fighting game I can't believe it hasn't been done before. Letting you pick any style you want essentially makes it both a single player mode and an extended character tutorial for any given character. It's genius.

I've seen some people complain about how cringe it is, but I'm not sure what deathly serious Street Fighter canon they've been huffing if it seems so. I think it's fun. In WT Juri's my friend. My negging friend.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

brainSnakes posted:

You do have me curious how the streak hunting is handled for people like me, who have exclusively been searching for matches from training mode. Am I immune to streak breakers or what

It only shows battle hub win streaks afaik, so win streaks in ranked/casual don't show up. So there'd really be no way to find you to break your ranked streak

Which is good because man, leveling through gold in a way that's not incredibly slow definitely requires you to go on as big a win streak as you can

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen some people complain about how cringe it is, but I'm not sure what deathly serious Street Fighter canon they've been huffing if it seems so. I think it's fun. In WT Juri's my friend. My negging friend.

She rocks, she says she kidnaps people all the time and you both just move past it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

In WT Juri's my friend. My negging friend.

https://twitter.com/kujikawaii/status/1667635875881140225

He's made some very good juri WT comics in general

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Help, I got to Guile's area in world tour and it's telling me to go to Nayshall but I can't leave???

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Lol this tournament I’m in told everyone months ago “this will be the ps5 version of the game. Make sure you have a controller that works. Check here for details”

Pools are getting held up bad because there’s always multiple matches being held up by people waiting to borrow the one Brook adapter rotating around the building. Come on DQ these guys

The local barcade (that does 10 dollar buy in smash every thurs) is starting SF6 tomorrow. But its on PS5s and has over 90 people signed up. Not sure how thats going to work unless they have those brooks dongles. Seems like it would be smarter to ask a couple people with laptops to bring them.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Plugging and unplugging in sticks to PCs while games are running can cause even more issues. This is why plugging in two brooks adaptors into a PC setup was what defend the north did, but even that needed to have techs running around the venue because it wouldn’t work sometimes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The local barcade (that does 10 dollar buy in smash every thurs) is starting SF6 tomorrow. But its on PS5s and has over 90 people signed up. Not sure how thats going to work unless they have those brooks dongles. Seems like it would be smarter to ask a couple people with laptops to bring them.

If players were warned well in advance then TOs should feel absolutely fine DQing when people are holding shy up cuz they didn’t deal with their own hardware beforehand

Pockyless posted:

Plugging and unplugging in sticks to PCs while games are running can cause even more issues. This is why plugging in two brooks adaptors into a PC setup was what defend the north did, but even that needed to have techs running around the venue because it wouldn’t work sometimes.

I’ve participated and run several PC tournaments and there was never a fraction of the drama that PS5 controller stuff has caused in just this one tournament

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

inthesto posted:

Help, I got to Guile's area in world tour and it's telling me to go to Nayshall but I can't leave???

if you're walking to the edge of the area and it's not letting you go to the world map, then you need to fight one of the randos around the area to get a travel ticket (and i think you can also buy them from the merchant from the general store -> takeout tab)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

If players were warned well in advance then TOs should feel absolutely fine DQing when people are holding shy up cuz they didn’t deal with their own hardware beforehand

I’ve participated and run several PC tournaments and there was never a fraction of the drama that PS5 controller stuff has caused in just this one tournament

agreed yeah, it's kind of the only reasonable way to handle it

I expect it to come up a lot over the next few months of tournaments, but hopefully people will start sorting it out

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Their flyer doesn't say its on ps5s. I only know as my roommate asked the guy running it.

Steam Input is pretty good at handling random things. SF6 seems to handle plugging stuff in while its running even with steam input disabled.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

He's made some very good juri WT comics in general

Frankly that person makes the canon version of Juri as far as I'm concerned.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Their flyer doesn't say its on ps5s. I only know as my roommate asked the guy running it.

Oof. Yeah if they aren’t specifying which version then it’s best to either have PS4 or PC so everyone’s stuff will work

Also hot tip for tournaments, specify for anyone bringing a monitor: 120 hz or greater. Half the monitors at this tournament can only do 60 so all of the setups have to be run at 60hz in the interest of lag consistency and not having half the machines have wicked screen tear.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Vermain posted:

if you're walking to the edge of the area and it's not letting you go to the world map, then you need to fight one of the randos around the area to get a travel ticket (and i think you can also buy them from the merchant from the general store -> takeout tab)

I have like 80 flight tickets and I still beat up people for more and I still can't leave this stupid airfield

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think you have to talk to his homie next to him

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

inthesto posted:

I have like 80 flight tickets and I still beat up people for more and I still can't leave this stupid airfield

There’s a guy with a mission icon next to him I think that will take you back to Metro.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Make sure you're not bending your wrist and pressing down on the stick. You want to kind of keep your wrist level and hover over the buttons or else you'll strain it, and that's also the way you get RSIs

Especially important for those of you that are picking up hitboxes, you can really mess your wrists up if you're not careful due to the angle the stick sits at. Ergonomics are seriously no joke, I at least gotta be careful cause I ignored it for years and started getting some carpal tunnel

I feel ya, it's cool to see people talking about this. I woke up with my hands and forearms a little sore and tingly today etc, from playing Street Fighter for probably 7 hrs total yesterday. And a bunch of days in a row the past week. So now I'll take a few days off.

Fighting games seem to be tougher on RSI stuff than other gamepad genres, with the various fast inputs on the d-pad for me etc.

Game rules by the way! Highly addictive.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Probably silly question but how do I change which master helps me out in World Tour mode? I assume it must be obvious in the character menu somewhere but I can't seem to find it or my eyes are glazing over it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Artelier posted:

Probably silly question but how do I change which master helps me out in World Tour mode? I assume it must be obvious in the character menu somewhere but I can't seem to find it or my eyes are glazing over it

I don't think you can, they go on cool down and swaps to a different one once you've used them

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Medullah posted:

I don't think you can, they go on cool down and swaps to a different one once you've used them

Is this the case? I thought it was random based on the fight. Sometimes I have DeeJay, sometimes I have Luke, sometimes I have neither.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there something like a list of possible SOCD inputs anywhere? I'm not really sure if I'm missing anything obvious with it and I haven't had much luck finding anything online.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PantsBandit posted:

Is this the case? I thought it was random based on the fight. Sometimes I have DeeJay, sometimes I have Luke, sometimes I have neither.

I haven't used the assist call since I unlocked level 3 supers and it's been Manon as my partner ever since.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
got frustrated with the motion controls and switched back to modern but now i forgot how to do everything and keep trying manual inputs! poo poo!

kinda wish they'd just gotten rid of classic entirely. i don't want to make these decisions!

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 11, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man this Andore Jr III guy can suck it. First enemy in the campaign that I feel like straight up reads inputs. On top of that he has a nearly invisible counter so half the time when you try to attack him you just get smacked instead.

I have 3 levels on the guy and I'm just giving up for the moment. Really unpleasant.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Holy poo poo I placed SIlver 2 as Dhalsim somehow, hell yeah.

He's pretty fun once you figure out the basics a bit. Weird as hell though

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

roomtone posted:

got frustrated with the motion controls and switched back to modern but now i forgot how to do everything and keep trying manual inputs! poo poo!

kinda wish they'd just gotten rid of classic entirely. i don't want to make these decisions!

the way i'm handling it on modern is to use motion controls on an as-needed basis, generally for mixups or functionality that the single button special inputs don't have. a good example with cammy is that heavy spiral arrow hits twice, so i stick with single input spiral arrows for conditioning and then use heavy spiral arrow at a distance if they start catching me on single arrows

PantsBandit posted:

Man this Andore Jr III guy can suck it. First enemy in the campaign that I feel like straight up reads inputs. On top of that he has a nearly invisible counter so half the time when you try to attack him you just get smacked instead.

I have 3 levels on the guy and I'm just giving up for the moment. Really unpleasant.

most of the special fighters are tutorial bosses of one stripe or another, and the andore bosses are meant to teach you how to deal with grapplers: either wait until they start blocking and dash -> throw to trigger pressure time, or stay at a distance and watch for their command grab windup so you can jump over it and then punish after

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

most of the special fighters are tutorial bosses of one stripe or another, and the andore bosses are meant to teach you how to deal with grapplers: either wait until they start blocking and dash -> throw to trigger pressure time, or stay at a distance and watch for their command grab windup so you can jump over it and then punish after

I think some of them are pretty vulnerable to Manon's command throw too. Like if you see them wind up you can snatch them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

classic for life

but appreciate having a way bigger playerbase more than anything else so do what you want and flex on people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

is broleylegs playing sf6

dude would be a loving god on modern controls