Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Captain Dochka! And he makes a return in a later mission too, IIRC.

MW4 Mercs is a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Speaking of DropShips, our company doesn't have one, right?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

Speaking of DropShips, our company doesn't have one, right?

Not yet. DropShips are a huge monetary and logistical investment. A basic Leopard DropShip (advertised as a good ship for mercenary companies, even though it isn't really) costs 168,082,128 C-Bills. A (much more suitable) Union DropShip costs 214,714,080 C-Bills. Then there's the crew salaries, fuel costs, maintenance fees, etc. Perhaps once the company is rich and famous it will be able to afford one, but for now we're stuck with chartering civilian vessels to get where we need to go, or using our employer's ships if they're willing to be generous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

A basic Leopard DropShip (advertised as a good ship for mercenary companies, even though it isn't really)

Are you telling me mw5 lied to me? And you can't actually store fifty mechs on one leopard if you take all the weapons off???

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Are you telling me mw5 lied to me? And you can't actually store fifty mechs on one leopard if you take all the weapons off???

i always wondered how they fit all the cold storage 'mechs in the leopard. for a moment I thought they disassembled the units completely

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Slavvy posted:

MW5 does nothing but lie to you. You'd be more knowledgeable coming in knowing literally nothing.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i'm now wondering how much of the Argo's canonical 57,039.5 tons of cargo capacity i've used at once in HBSTech. i like to collect at least one of each mech variant, and with modpacks there is a shitload to collect

yes, even collecting one of each omni variant, rather than just getting the knowledge for each variant and keeping one in storage

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The Leopard is honestly really bad unless you're some kind of tiny commando group, the thing only fits four mechs with two Aerospace fighters, *very* little storage and a tiny crew of about 9 people and then some pilots and mechtechs.

You could switch out the Aerospace fighters for a little more storage but that's still not a lot.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's not extremely bad as a battletaxi for people who have a staging jumpship to operate from.

People who have a staging jumpship to operate from will typically have a better use for docking collars and docking bays, however.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I'm hearing is that it should be possible to get a cheap leopard that nobody wants and do an absolutely sick camper conversion

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Slavvy posted:

What I'm hearing is that it should be possible to get a cheap leopard that nobody wants and do an absolutely sick camper conversion

Just find a nice beach, drop the side doors and have a Crab Rave

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Just find a nice beach, drop the side doors and have a Crab Rave

Good post/avatar combo.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

biosterous posted:

i'm now wondering how much of the Argo's canonical 57,039.5 tons of cargo capacity i've used at once in HBSTech. i like to collect at least one of each mech variant, and with modpacks there is a shitload to collect

yes, even collecting one of each omni variant, rather than just getting the knowledge for each variant and keeping one in storage

I like collecting different battle armor sets in modded HBSTech, even though they often surprise me in the worst ways during missions.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Breadmaster posted:

I like collecting different battle armor sets in modded HBSTech, even though they often surprise me in the worst ways during missions.

Yeah, in BTA3062 Battle Armor can do quite a bit of damage, especially some of the bigger ones.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's actually pretty funny that we're discussing DropShips since the Prowlers' own DropShip is going to feature quite prominently in the next mission.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Since they were an actual military unit and had more than 4 mechs, it's likely heavier than we'd like.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sounds like good news for our salvage shares

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scintilla posted:

It's actually pretty funny that we're discussing DropShips since the Prowlers' own DropShip is going to feature quite prominently in the next mission.

aren't dropships normally armed to the teeth??

stealing a dropship will be fun though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just bypass security with a clipboard

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A Union, the standard company dropship, more or less, carries something like 140 tons of guns, which is more than the mass of your lance.

Granted that armament is distributed between sides sponsons and top turrets but it's still a nasty show.

There is a roughly zero percent chance that it is in fact an Overlord, you don't need to worry about that.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

ilmucche posted:

aren't dropships normally armed to the teeth??

They sure are!

A normal Union-class dropship has no less than :
3x PPC
6x AC/5
6x LRM-20
12x medium laser
5x large laser

Of course, some of these are facing upwards since that's the direction it goes in space but most of these will be shooting at you.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

If MW4 Mercenaries taught me anything, it's that you can snipe Unions from outside their range by shooting their thruster nozzles with ER PPCs.

...what do you mean you don't have any ER PPCs? What? It's 3015 and ER PPCs aren't reintroduced to the Inner Sphere until 3037?

Welp, I suggest not getting into range then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zurai posted:

If MW4 Mercenaries taught me anything, it's that you can snipe Unions from outside their range by shooting their thruster nozzles with ER PPCs.

...what do you mean you don't have any ER PPCs? What? It's 3015 and ER PPCs aren't reintroduced to the Inner Sphere until 3037?

Welp, I suggest not getting into range then.

That game also had them armed with gauss rifles, idk how canonical that possibility is

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's a perfectly regular canon configuration post 3055, 3 Gauss Rifles, 3 ERPPC, 5 ERLL and the 6 LRM20s get Artemis 4 FCS added.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I bet it's a busted-rear end old Manatee just barely still operational.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I bet it's a busted-rear end old Manatee just barely still operational.

I bet she's truly the oddest ship ever to fly the skies.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Slavvy posted:

That game also had them armed with gauss rifles, idk how canonical that possibility is

If you leave techs unsupervised near the armory, eventually guns just start finding their way into hardpoints.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I mean. The stock Leopard, which we have already made fun of for being small and wimpy for the given role of "Mech Transport" is armed with 2 PPCs, 3 LRM 20s, 7 Medium Lasers, and 5 Large Lasers

That is on the low end of what Drop Ships can be armed with, especially considering the Leopard is a little more than half the tonnage of the Union.

I kind of like capping off a mission of MW5 by just leading the enemy to my Leopard and letting it rip them to shreds with missiles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

glwgameplayer posted:

I mean. The stock Leopard, which we have already made fun of for being small and wimpy for the given role of "Mech Transport" is armed with 2 PPCs, 3 LRM 20s, 7 Medium Lasers, and 5 Large Lasers

That is on the low end of what Drop Ships can be armed with, especially considering the Leopard is a little more than half the tonnage of the Union.

I kind of like capping off a mission of MW5 by just leading the enemy to my Leopard and letting it rip them to shreds with missiles.

Yeah me too, I am also definitely doing this for fun and not out of desperate necessity

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

SIGSEGV posted:

A Union, the standard company dropship, more or less, carries something like 140 tons of guns, which is more than the mass of your lance.

Granted that armament is distributed between sides sponsons and top turrets but it's still a nasty show.

There is a roughly zero percent chance that it is in fact an Overlord, you don't need to worry about that.

I can confirm that it's a bog-standard Union. It's also not 100% operational, so it (probably) won't shoot you to pieces before you can get in range.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Scintilla posted:

I can confirm that it's a bog-standard Union. It's also not 100% operational, so it (probably) won't shoot you to pieces before you can get in range.

The best way to fight a grounded dropship is of course off-map artillery. Failing that, stay at range and stay fast to give it the highest possible to-hits. Take advantage of the fact that it's an immobile target and so much easier to hit than you. No amount of scary guns will help if it's got a sub 5% hit rate and you've got a 50% hit rate.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Remmon posted:

No amount of scary guns will help if it's got a sub 5% hit rate and you've got a 50% hit rate.

You’re going to take a ppc to the face and like it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

You’re going to take a ppc to the face and like it

I imagine the PPC is very good at unwanted hair removal

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

"Laser hair removal" hits different in the BT world

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the map. Annoyingly, while there is a perfectly serviceable Union sprite in the map editor's image directory, I can't work out how to access it via the interface. It's not a huge deal, since I can simply add it in manually via the magic of photoshop, but it goes to show that the MegaMek map editor still needs a lot of work.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Scintilla posted:

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the map. Annoyingly, while there is a perfectly serviceable Union sprite in the map editor's image directory, I can't work out how to access it via the interface. It's not a huge deal, since I can simply add it in manually via the magic of photoshop, but it goes to show that the MegaMek map editor still needs a lot of work.

You could add it as a unit instead of an object.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Remmon posted:

You could add it as a unit instead of an object.

I thought about that, but the unit sprite is a bit... underwhelming.

Whereas the map object is nice and chunky.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:f5:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, that map sprite is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
One of the things I like about MekHQ is that it notifies you about certain events as the timeline advances.

In this case it lets me know that the Commando COM-1B has just entered production. The 1B is similar to the 1D the players encountered last mission, except that it has slightly more armour and swaps the SRM-6 for an SRM-2 and a Medium Laser. The notification indicates that this variant is now available for purchase on MekHQ's open market and that refit kits for it are also available.

I'll post these little updates as and when they occur, since they add flavour and let everyone know when certain units and technologies are introduced.

Edit: here's another one, which slightly relates to what the company is doing now!

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 11, 2023