Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Can't wait to hear about new games that sound conceptually cool but I will never play because I am already busy playing: 1) remastered games from 20 years ago, 2) terrible grindy games from China, 3) umpty-bajillion Vampire Survivors clones.

EDIT: Oh hey, we did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can someone give me a list of the stardew likes. I know some people who love all of these but don't watch fake e3

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jossar posted:

Can't wait to hear about new games that sound conceptually cool but I will never play because I am already busy playing: 1) remastered games from 20 years ago, 2) terrible grindy games from China, 3) umpty-bajillion Vampire Survivors clones.

EDIT: Oh hey, we did it!

whats your favorite terrible grindy game from china

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

whats your favorite terrible grindy game from china

I already discussed Tale of Immortal earlier in the thread, so I'm just going to point you back to that post. It's engaging enough that I decided after my first few failures to start a Let's Play of it and see if that pressures me to actually make it to the end.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 10, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

haldolium posted:

don't forget about it's amazing cheesy synth OST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Edeeo1YI8

from the same composer who did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2gvHjNhQ0

Oh yeah, it sounded like they hired Dead Can Dance and gave them a bunch of synth libraries.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haldolium posted:

don't forget about it's amazing cheesy synth OST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Edeeo1YI8

from the same composer who did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2gvHjNhQ0

Ahhh, taint!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay, this is gonna be a long post, so I'm going to try to condense it as best I can for the three Saturday events. There's also a fourth event I'm not covering. I decided it'd be easier to look through the games ahead of time and write this up before the events, like I did with the Tribeca recap. Too much to cover! I tried to organize this in a way that sort of made sense, with a lot of like games paired together, but that wasn't always possible.

FUTURE OF PLAY

Airborne Empire (2024) is the sequel to Airborne Kingdom and it'll be starting out in early access (but not exclusive to Epic this time!). The Brew Barons (2023) is a brewing empire game combined with an aerial dogfighting game, where you rise up against a pirate-owned brewing monopoly.

Yasuke: A Lost Descendent (TBA) is a hack and slash game with parkour movement about a samurai in a cyberpunk setting. Grimfield Mystery (TBA) is an action-adventure game where you have a ghost hand that allows you to telekinetically grab, hold and manipulate objects. This is another one where I forgot to play the demo, but at least it's still there (for now?).

Cavern of Dreams (Oct 19) is a 3D platformer inspired by the N64 era. (I've played the demo and it's fine, even fun dare I say.) Rune Fencer Illyia (Early 2024) has been in development for a long time (though not as much as fellow metroidvania Heart Forth Alicia). It looks to be a pretty large game with over 150 enemies and 24 areas.

Let's Revolution (July 19) is a roguelite puzzler similar to Demoncrawl where you unveil tiles on a map to try and find the path to a tyrannical king. Demo available today. There are no games similar to Let's Revolution on the docket today so uhh... here's Wildmender (2023), which has you building a growing oasis in the desert, by Muse Games, developer of Embr and Guns of Icarus Online. Will have a demo at Next Fest.

Love Shore (TBA) is a VN by cutely-named developer Perfect Garbage, about romance blossoming in a cyberpunk city with cyborgs, old gods, and nasty criminals. While Touchstarved (TBA) is a gothic VN where you are searching for a cure for your curse and trusting your fate to one of 5 different love interests. Demo available now.

Techtonica (July 18) is a first person automation game set underground on an alien planet so it's got some neat visual vibes going on. I downloaded a demo of it a while back but didn't get a chance to play it before they removed it. Whoops! Word Factori (August 3) is an automation puzzler where you start with the lowercase letter i and use a chain factories to convert it to other letters. I'll be curious to see how this compares to Zack-likes on the difficulty scale.

Reka (2024) has you assisting the Baba Yaga as an apprentice witch, gathering ingredients, brewing potions and customizing your home (the walking home indeed). Arctic Awakening (2023) is a narrative first person adventure where you survive a plane crash and uncover the mysteries of the Arctic with your trusty court-ordered therapy bot.

Atomic Picnic (TBA) is a co-op roguelite shooter that people have talked about before in this thread. Very vibrant. Also on the roguelite side is Demon Spore (TBA), a top down action game where you try to break out of a monster-infested lab, as one of their experiments gone wrong.

Bombing 2 (June 27) is a graffiti game promising a 100% paintable open environment, while Space Chef (2023) is an open world mix of harvesting and cooking on alien planets.

Psychroma (February 2024) is a psychological horror game with a very slick pixel art style, where you play a digital medium that exorcises ghosts from a "cybernetic house". It looks cool!! In Stars and Time (2023) is an indie time-loop RPG about an adventuring party that gets sent back two days every time they're about to defeat the demon king. Only one of them knows they're in a loop. It also looks pretty cool!

Videoverse (Q3 2023) is a story game taking place in an OS pastiche of Nintendo's Miiverse and old forums/social media in general. Staying with the nostalgia theme, Bugaboo Pocket (TBA) is a virtual pet game ala Tamagotchi, but with much more pixels and fidelity than those old toys, as well as an actual storyline and things to unlock. Demo available today.

Hermit and Pig (TBA) is an RPG about a hermit and a pig going on adventures. You get into turn based combat both against enemies and NPCs alike, either with actual fighting or with conversation. Angeline Era (2024) is an Ys-like by the creators of Anodyne 2 and Sephonie and of course it looks loving rad.

Escape from Mystwood Mansion (Q3 2023) is an escape room game whose demo was honestly, OKAY, when I played it. It was alright. Nothing special but not bad either. Ascend (Q4 2024) is a third person adventure puzzler that is exploring ancient ruins while scaling a mystical mountain. NOTE: the developer of Ascend abandoned their previous early access project.

Shashingo (2023) is a Japanese language learning photography game where you take photos to capture new words and images as flash cards. As you are quizzed to find the objects, successful shots will give you stars in your photo album to show you're mastering each word. Not sure this is a super effective way to learn a language but it seems like it could be fun. Nothing else in this event involves language learning so... something completely different is Ritual Night (Fall 2023), a social deduction sus-em-up that claims to have no player elimination. The description on the store page sure makes it sound like players get eliminated though!

Slope Crashers (2024) features animal snowboarding. You can be a capybara. Maybe that influences your buying decision? I'll wait to see how it reviews, but an online beta is starting today. Staying in the multiplayer realm, Communite (Q2 2024) is a multiplayer city builder, where you build a city together with others. The store page doesn't elaborate much beyond that but it'll be in Early Access soon.

Aloft (2024) is a co-op survival game set on floating islands as you build up a base and travel from island to island, harvesting, fighting monster fungi, and upgrading your gear. If that looks a bit too hectic to you, there's a breezier option in Solarpunk (Q2 2024). Like Aloft, it's a survival game where you're traveling from place to place on an airship, but the islands here (rather than buildings) are in a better state with better resources and you can build a place to live if you want.

Lastly, The Wandering Village (out now in Early Access), the city builder on top of a giant moving creature, announced its next update, the Ocean Update, will come this Summer.

WHOLESOME DIRECT

Kamaeru: a Frog Refuge (TBA) involves creating a frog sanctuary and wetlands habitat, while Tiny Book Shop (TBA) has you running your own mobile bookshop by the sea.

Smushi Come Home (shadowdropped and out now) is a cozier 3D platformer in a dense forest where you help dudes out and collect crystals. (I've also played the demo of this. It's also fine.) Meanwhile, Cato (2024) is a 2D puzzle platformer about a cat that can jump endlessly in the air if they get toast stuck to them.

A Little to the Left: Cupboards and Drawers (June 27) is DLC for the straighten-em-up game from 2022 about organizing things neatly with 25 new puzzles. Townframe (2024) is an intruiging logic puzzler that would feel right at home in a Professor Layton game. A person describes the town of their memories and you're tasked with recreating it on the board by modifying the buildings and using various tools.

Wood and Weather (TBA) is a god game where you play as a large ghost hand that can help the citizens out as well as control the weather. Demo available today. Little Friends: Puppy Island (June 27) is a puppy raising game by Big Blue Bubble (Foregone, Power Chord) and I gotta say... not the kind of game I expect from that studio. But hey, gotta keep the lights on. Everyone play Foregone.

If the puzzles of Botany Manor are getting too much in the way of your pure gardening desires, there's Garden Life (2024) which is a more proper gardening sandbox (well, don't put the flowers in the sandbox, that probably isn't smart). Meanwhile, Garden Buddies (Summer) is a gardening game on the casual side with more minigame-based gameplay and cute characters.

Palace on the Hill (August) is a slice of life game about an artist trying to get to art school with gardening and restaurant management. The Last Alchemist (2023) is an alchemy-themed puzzle game by Vile Monarch (Growing Up, Floodland) where you build up a workshop, gather essences and fuse them together in tetrimino form to solve puzzles and try to cure your disease. And.. Loftia (TBD) doesn't even have a Steam page yet, so I guess google it? whew. One less set of line breaks.

Flutter Away (August 3) is a short nature exploration game where you engage in photography, learn about butterflies and frogs, and fill up your journal. If you need more photography, there's Petit Island (2024) which is about reliving your grandfather's memories on a cozy island by taking pictures of nostalgic spots and meeting the locals.

Surmount (2023) is a mountain climbing game with silly visuals and Mii style characters where you swing around on handholds and fling yourself upward. Demo at Next Fest. Grimoire Groves (TBA) claims to be a cozy roguelite dungeon crawler but I'll believe that when I see it. I feel like roguelites exist in a space far separated from "chill".

Spirit Swap (2023) is a versus-matching (and v queer) puzzler that has been in a few events before, but we're getting closer to a release target now. Meanwhile, Feed All Monsters (June 22) is a line drawing puzzler where.. well you can probably tell in the screenshot and the game title.

If Venba (July 31) looks familiar, it was in a prior Tribeca gaming festival. It's a narrative cooking game about an Indian family living in Canada in the 80s. Also on the cooking.. table... is Pekoe (June 28, Early Access), the tea-making game where you have conversations with cats. It looks like the game has added more elements, like an upgradable teahouse.

Station to Station (2023) is a relaxing railway building/puzzle game with voxel art where the world flourishes with color as you expand outward. Demo available now. Also set on a train, Tracks of Thought (Q1 2024) returns to the Wholesome Direct with more footage of the game. You talk to people on board and engage in conversational-themed turn based card battles.

Frogsong (out today as a shadowdrop) is an ARPG about a tiny frog with a knife who wants to become a warrior. Also on the RPG side is Athenian Rhapsody (Q3 2023), which skews closer to Undertale with real-time dodge-based battles and other creative/referential mechanics.

Gourdlets (TBA) is a city builder that has no objectives or goals, just a sandbox to build up a town in. Bubblegum Galaxy (TBA) has been seen in past events and is a tile-by-tile builder but with added narrative framing in a lo-fit PS1-style environment. I like the look of it. Demo is available now.

Ducky's Delivery Service (July 20) is an arcade game that has you delivering packages in various levels with the help of a propeller backpack. Another platformer, Little Nemo: Guardians of Slumberland (TBA) has been seen before in one of these events, but don't be confused by its claim of NES-era gameplay: it's not a remake of the Capcom game, but a new open world platformer inspired by it, with music from Peter Berkman of Anamanaguchi. Demo available now.

Fields of Mistria (2024) is a life sim with a clean and polished art style for the Stardew heads out there. For those looking for something more like Animal Crossing, there's Go Go Town (2024) by the developer of Grow: Song of the Evertree, though you'll be waiting a little while. The developer posted their roadmap this month and they're still integrating basic elements like saving/loading. "Sneak peek" demo out today, with a playtest very soon.

How about another life sim? Moonstone Island (TBA) is a creature-collection focused life sim with clean vibrant graphics and dozens of islands to explore. Demo at Next Fest. And Mirth Island (TBA) is a musical game by Clay Game Studio (Loading Story, Fairie Afterlight) about a duck who has come to an island village of happiness to try and find a way to become happy himself (sorry duck, depression is more complex than that).

Sanya (2023) is a narrative game about being a kid in the post-Soviet 90s, while Fishbowl (TBA) has you dealing with isolation during the pandemic as you work from home for a popular media star and deal with the loss of your grandmother.

Magical Delicacy (2024) is a very pretty looking mix of Metroidvania platforming and cooking. Finally some good loving good! Literally! But if you prefer a more cooking-only experience, there's Manitas Kitchen (TBA), a casual cooking game where you play a dinosaur trying to become the world's best pizza chef.

Lakeburg Legacies (July 20) is a village management game mixed with NPC matchmaking whose screenshots always overwhelm me when I see them, by Ishtar Games (Dead in Vinland/Bermuda). While Townseek (Early 2024) is a pretty neat trading-oriented exploration game where you travel between various fantasy towns and trade your wares, as well as fish and mine and chart a map of the region. I've played the demo, it's cool.

Quilts and Cats of Calico (2023) is an adaptation of the boardgame by Monster Couch, who also handled the Wingspan PC adaptation, previously seen in a Nintendo Direct. Baladins (Early 2024) is a fantasy boardgame meant to resemble short-form tabletop sessions where you play as bards traveling from town to town helping those in need and kicking butt. Playthroughs are meant to be an hour long and full of choices and dice rolls.

Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley (TBA) returns to Wholesome Direct again with more footage of the game. If you need more nature exploration, there's The Guardian of Nature (TBA), where you go on an adventure to save the Mother Tree while changing your size at will to solve puzzles.

The Star Named EOS (2024) is another panoramic hand-painted adventure from Silver Lining Studio (Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery) about learning the truth of your mother's disappearance through her photographs. And Sopa (Q2 2024) is a narrative adventure about a boy who is whisked away from his grandmother to a fantasy land where he must gather ingredients for his grandmother's soup. It seems to have gotten some funding from Microsoft because the trailer opened with the Xbox logo.

Button City: Soccer Days (TBA) is a futbol-themed followup to the game I would call "the definition of a Wholesome Direct game". I Am A Caterpillar (TBA) is a sticky 3D platformer about a caterpillar that doesn't want to change into a butterfly.

Publisher SOEDESCO showed two brief trailers, one for Garden Witch Life (TBA), a witch-themed life sim with potion brewing along with the usual life sim systems. Closed beta today. The other for Orange Season (in Early Access), which looks to be just a straight up Stardew/HM knockoff.

The developer of Omno has a new game, Kibu (TBA) that leans a bit more on the life sim side but still has that same Omno vibe. Everdeep Aurora (2024) is a 2D platformer with well-made (and hued) pixel art.

While The Iron's Hot (Q4 2023) is a blacksmithing game that has you going out on expeditions in addition to smithing weapons. Published by Humble. Tall Trails (TBD) is an exploration game where you're a golem with a launcher to shoot yourself into the air as you travel across endless procgen islands. By the dev of Fossil Corner.

---

FUTURE GAMING SHOW (hosted by Laura Bailey and Yuri Lowenthal)

Resistor (TBA) is a post-apocalyptic carPG with open-world exploration and story. It looks pretty neat. Wonder if the devs ever played Car Battler Joe. Pacific Drive (TBA) is a survival roguelite where you drive through an exclusion zone in your trusty car and scavenge in order to make it through.

Lords of the Fallen (October) showed some Soulsy gameplay of the "can we get a mulligan?" reboot of what is now I guess a series. The game has some Light World/Dark World hopping, so that's neat at least. It's definitely taken on a bit more of a Bloodborne influence compared to the original. Meanwhile, The Last Faith (October) is a gothic 2D soulslike that I've been highly looking forward to. It's got fantastic visuals. Beta sign-up today for a demo later this summer.

Steel Seed (TBA) is a stealth action platformer by Storm in a Teacup (Close to the Sun). It looks a tiny bit janky but that's to be expected from a first-time action game from a studio known for walking simulators. Go Fight Fantastic (2023) is a co-op hack-and-slash brawler. Demos for both games are available today.

Distant Bloom (2023) is an environment restoration game with crafting and gardening and a mobile pop-up base you carry with you. Demo available. Paleo Pines (September 26) is a life sim about creating a dinosaur sanctuary. Demo available at Next Fest.

En Garde! (August) is a swashbuckling action game about a very zorro-like lady. Demo available now. Head Bangers: Rhythm Royale (2023) was barely a trailer and more of an animated short about some very minion/rabbid-rear end pigeons. Cross Blitz (2023) is a fast-paced deckbuilding game with both story and roguelite modes.

Alaskan Road Truckers (Fall 2023) is a truck simulator game in the frozen tundra, while Star Trucker (2024) takes the genre to the stars. No idea what makes these games good or bad.

The Bookwalker (June 22) I'm mentioning again, because it's coming out WAY sooner than I was expecting and I guess I'll be buying it!!! gently caress!! One thing I won't be buying is Deceit 2 (2023), a first person sus-em-up. I didn't know there was a Deceit 1. Beta available now.

Deponia, against everyone's wishes, has returned, with Surviving Deponia (2023 in Early Access). Will this one be racist? It seems to be a shift in genres though, not a pure point and click adventure. Without Rufus maybe it will be more bearable. Another post-apoc survival game is Homeseek (July 20), with more of a strategy and city building bent.

Laika: Aged Through Blood (2023) seems to be a mix of Trials motorcycling and shooting action by Brainwash Gang (Nongunz, Friends vs Friends, Grotto). Laura Bailey called it the first "motorvania" but jokes on her, Turbo Kid also exists. Demo at Next Fest. Cookie Cutter (Summer) is another Metroidvania about a gay android trying to save her creator, and it looks VERY angsty.

Space Gears (TBA) is a free to play RTS with a test-play available today. New Cycle (2023) is a survival city builder set after a disasterous solar flare. Demo available today.

Enchanted Portals (2023) is a bit of a Cuphead knockoff, but with much less impressive animation, and that's kind of the whole point of playing Cuphead... although the game does depict a few different art styles so at least there's that. Life By You (September 12 in Early Access) looks to be a Sims-y game where you can also control the humans and not just watch (seems contrary to why people play The Sims, but sure).

Moving Out 2 (TBA) announced, for more co-op house destroying shenanigans. World's Worst Handyman (TBA) has a similar amount of house destruction, but it's even more egregious since you're supposed to be fixing things! Demo available today. This is also an opportunity for me to tell people to PLEASE watch Canada's Worst Handyman if you can find it on the internet. It's amazing.

Daymare 1994 (August 30) is a prequel to the original Daymare, which.. I have, I think, but I've never played. It's a third person RE clone. Deathground (TBA) is a first-person survival horror game with dinosaurs and I'm sorry but when are we gonna get a game with feather dinos? You can make them scary! I promise! It's by the dev of Gun Jam which had a somewhat poor reception on Steam.

Steamworld Build (2023) is a city building game set in the Steamworld universe. The demo is still live, or maybe it just went back up? It's there. Laysara (2023) is that game shown off last year about building your city on a perilously steep mountain. Demo available today.

Remedium (TBA) is a twin-stick shooter in a post-apocalyptic Renaissance setting. Demo available today. While Odinfall (TBA) is a Viking-themed twin-stick shooter roguelite.

Ruffy and the Riverside (Winter 2023) is a 3D platformer with paper characters and a protagonist with very manic energy that has the unique power to swap objects in the world. It actually looks kinda cool?? Like the first super unique indie 3d platformer I've seen in a while? Venture to the Vile (2024) is a cinematic platformer published by Aniplex of all companies, about saving your town from a monstrous entity called the Vile.

The Precinct (2024) is definitely inspired by GTA1/2 with a modern sheen. Except you're the cop? So I guess there's no Wanted mechanic? If you love being a cop (yikes), there's also Unrecord (TBA), the body cam shooter that went viral on social media a month ago.

Fretless: The Wrath of Riffson (2024) is a turn-based musical RPG with microgamey attacks, while Puzzles for Clef (July 27), the music-themed puzzler which was shown last year in a Ukraine dev-focused section, announced a release date today.

Stick it to the Stickman (2023) is like all those old Flash cartoons about stick figure martial arts, except you're the one doing them! By the dev of Broforce and Terra Nil. Demo available today. The Spirit of the Samurai (2024) is a frankly weird looking 2D action game with stop-motion visuals where you play as a samurai, an alien-looking dude, and a cat. Strange enough to pique my interest.

Reveil (TBA) is a first-person psychological horror game, and if you can believe it, it involves... HALLWAYS! okay not just hallways, there are locations you go to as well, and some puzzles. Now, if you want HALLWAY HORROR, there's Luto (TBA), which just seems like yet another PT clone. These need to stop. Demo available.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thank you so much for these writeups, 7th Guest. My wishlist will never be the same.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
As someone with an absurd amount of time in ATS/ETS and also Elite Dangerous, I'm drooling over Star Trucker

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256950990/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1686417076

Has a steam page up already to wishlist it even though it's scheduled for 2024: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2380050/Star_Trucker/

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow what a surprise, The 7th Guest barreling into the Steam thread and absolutely loving up my wishlist.

Thank you as always, friend.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The 7th Guest posted:

Techtonica (July 18) is a first person automation game set underground on an alien planet so it's got some neat visual vibes going on. I downloaded a demo of it a while back but didn't get a chance to play it before they removed it. Whoops!

Had this on my wishlist for a long time but it was always listed as "Release date: TBA," didn't realize it was going to be coming out so soon. Alpha/Beta footage looked interesting, hopefully the final product is solid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Trucker is a dream sim that I have always wanted.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

Okay, this is gonna be a long post, so I'm going to try to condense it as best I can for the three Saturday events. There's also a fourth event I'm not covering. I decided it'd be easier to look through the games ahead of time and write this up before the events, like I did with the Tribeca recap. Too much to cover! I tried to organize this in a way that sort of made sense, with a lot of like games paired together, but that wasn't always possible.

FUTURE OF PLAY
So many games, I appreciate you.

Also I'll mention it here, but Battlebit, is out on the 15th, it had 30k people playing the playtest today, so if you're looking for a shooter like battlefield with lots of people per map (up to 127v127) then check it out, it will be $15 and you can try it right now until tomorrow.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

kazil posted:

if The 7th Guest is waiting for a new page to post about games then goons should post to get to the next page imo

For real

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats... too many games ; . ;

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cavern of Dreams is my favorite of that list, but there are so many great games there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I said come in! posted:

Star Trucker is a dream sim that I have always wanted.
:same:

thanks as always for doing these 7th Guest :tipshat:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you're welcome! i'll post a list of all the demos that are available tomorrow, i'm a bit wiped out after watching the new spiderverse film (pretty good!) and i'm just gonna lay down and play more My Time at Sandrock before i fall asleep

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Had this on my wishlist for a long time but it was always listed as "Release date: TBA," didn't realize it was going to be coming out so soon. Alpha/Beta footage looked interesting, hopefully the final product is solid.

Same, I have been looking forward to this one for a while.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

FUTURE OF PLAY

:nice:

En Garde! looks neat I think ill try the demo this week, and maybe for The Bookwalker too.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
As people say, thanks again to 7th Guest for all the great games to fill our wishlists up with.

Been checking out a few demos I saw listed; here are a couple rapid-fire impressions:

Go Fight Fantastic: Certainly seems like it could be a fun coop top-down beat-em-up with synergistic roles: I had a decent time in solo doing swap combos and I imagine it'd be even better in true coop. However, the combat felt a bit unsatisfying due to the lack of stagger when hitting enemies and a lack of sound/feedback for damage and actions, and I also found the whole saturday morning cartoon aesthetic and characters a bit more grating than I expected. Tempting to keep eye on it, but I feel like my cup already runneth over with games like Ember Knights so I'm passing.

Daymare 1994: Sandcastle: Having played Daymare 1998 and found it lacking but promising, I was hoping this would be a vast improvement in their attempts at making an indie REmake2. Unfortunately, I found it to be very similar and still have a lot of the same issues: dumb story/characters/voices (and not in a so-bad-its-good way), janky and sluggish animations, unsatisfying and awkward combat, lots of dead air, and so on. It does introduce this ice gadget which attempts to elevate combat with potential crowd control and strategy, similar to something like the stasis module in Dead Space, but I found it too unwieldly against the enemies. Pass.

En Garde!: Very impressed with this one! Incredibly charming characters/story and I loved the stylish improvisational combat that mimics duels as seen in The Princess Bride or other feats of derring-do. Surprised at the levels of interactions you could do: beyond the obvious ones like box kicking, there were things like making an enemy jump up on a table and then sweeping their legs to make them fall off. Felt like a great fusion of Prince of Persia charm and platforming + Sekiro stance/parry/dodge combat + Dark Messiah of Might and Magic swashbuckling environmental usage. Definitely keeping my eye on it.

Stick It to the Stickman: It's certainly very amusing both from a story perspective and from the way combat can turn into a crazy ragdoll mess, but I wasn't quite sure about this one, mainly about the combat. As much as the game seems like its trying to be strategic with this whole weird attack chain you build up, and you can sometimes get clever with the environment by punting people out of windows and into electric boxes, the combat felt way too mindless and wibbly-wobbly to do anything with any sort of intention, making me feel like it was getting really repetitive very quickly. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously, wanting Midnight Fight Express or Sifu when it's just supposed to be mashy nonsense for a laugh. I'll keep an eye on it to see how it shapes out, but will probably skip.

REMEDIUM: For a story-based ARPG twin-stick shooter, it was not bad, but not that great either, just kind of boringly decent at the moment. It felt ok to shoot things and chuck grenades and all that, and the aesthetic was interesting, and the alchemic bullets could maybe be cool, but unlike my recent forays into Alienation and Dead Nation, this didn't spark joy like they did. It did feel like the game was in a really early state at the moment, so it's probably too early to judge, I dunno.

Lies of P: Pretty impressed with this one! When it comes to From Soft clones, I'm typically disappointed at the amount of jank that comes with them, but this actually felt surprisingly smooth and polished to me in all aspects, and had some interesting mechanics to it. There might be some oddities with it that appear on closer inspection, but I saw enough to consider this a must buy. Guess we'll finally get a Bloodborne PC game!

Wizard with a Gun: Feel like I experienced this with the wrong expectations, as when I came in, I was expecting something like Magicka, but what I got was something like Don't Starve: Gun Edition. Because of this, the game, while very polished and charming and interesting, did feel quite unexciting and tedious to me since I came looking for exciting spell-bullet combat and it didn't have much to offer there, and the rest of the game was a bit tedious and plodding with its slow movement speed and resource gathering.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 11, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

5 years ago I would murder a man for a crumb of city builders. Now we've got city builders coming out of every indie orifice nonstop.

Wild times.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Problem is, the mechanical depth of many of those city builders is just not very good. I often feel I've solved the game a few hours in.

Anyway, that's a lot of games. Calling dibs on the Moomin and Baba Yaga game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So many games! Thank you for the effort of listing everything.

Definitely wishlisting the Snufkin game and looking forward to Last Faith as well, had that on my list since it originally popped up in one of these events. So glad it has a release now, it looks incredibly like my jam, hopefully it delivers. With Blasphemous 2 in August and Last Faith in October, gonna be a good year for gritty 2D adventuring.

Too bad we haven't heard anything major from Manor Lords yet.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I'm keeping tabs on Star Trucker and Pacific Drive.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally tried Battlebit and although it’s rough visually it feels more battlefield to me than 2042 and V

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, here are the live demos from Summer Game Fest:

PLATFORMER
Antonblast (Wario Land 4-like)
Cato
Ducky's Delivery Service
Iron Meat (Contra-like)
Little Nemo and the Guardians of Slumberland
Renaine (new demo)
Surmount
Through the Nightmares

ACTION/ARCADE
Blackout Protocol
Gori: Cuddly Carnage
Slave Zero X (Strider 2-like)
Stick it to the Stickman
Toxic Crusaders (Shredder's Revenge-like)
World's Worst Handyman

ACTION-ADVENTURE
Black Skylands
En Garde!
Go Fight Fantastic
Grimfield Mystery

NARRATIVE
Arctic Awakening
Baladins
CorpoNation
Fall of Porcupine (prologue)
Love Shore
Mythwrecked
Sanya
Touchstarved
Tracks of Thought
Venba
Videoverse

STRATEGY
Airship: Kingdoms Adrift
Godless
Toy Tactics

PUZZLE
A Tiny Sticker Tale
Botany Manor
Escape From Mystwood Mansion
Leximan
Lil' Guardsman (Papers Please-like)
Paper Trail (new demo)
Puzzles for Clef
Spirit Swap
The Bookwalker
The Star Named EOS

DECKBUILDING
Astrea: Six Sided Oracles
The Dead Await (prologue)
Don Duality
Shattered Heaven

ROGUELITE
Elsie
Grimoire Groves
Let's Revolution (Minesweeper roguelite)
Odinfall
Super Raft Boat Together

CITY BUILDING
Bulwark: Falconeer Chronicles
Farlanders (prologue)
Homeseek
Laysara: Summit Kingdom
New Cycle
Steamworld Build

COZY BUILDING
Bubblegum Galaxy
Gourdlets
Growth
Land Above Sea Below

MANAGEMENT
Jumplight Odyssey
Lakeburg Legacies
Let's School
Punch Club 2
The Brew Barons (also airplane action!)

RPG
Remedium
WrestleQuest

AUTOMATION
Nova Lands
Word Factori

CRAFT-HEAVY and/or SURVIVAL
Aloft
Distant Bloom
I Am Future
Voidtrain
While the Iron's Hot
Wildmender

SOULS-LIKE
Grime
Lies of P

HORROR
Daymare 1994
Luto
Psychroma

LIFE SIMS
Cattails 2: Wildwood Story
Critter Crops
Go Go Town
The Palace on the Hill (prologue)
Wylde Flowers

RELAXING
Bombing 2
Station to Station

MISC
Bugaboo Pocket
Olliefrog Toad Skater
Little Friends: Puppy Island (for your kids i guess?)
March of Shrooms
Quilts and Cats of Calico
Sclash
Sticky Business
Slopecrashers
Wood & Weather

e: UPDATE:

The Kins posted:

Worth noting that there'll be yet even more demos on the 19th for Steam Next Fest.
Yep! These games will have demos available then:

Alien Hominid: Invasion
Bilkin's Folly
Defender's Quest 2
In Stars and Time
Laika: Aged Through Blood
Kingdom Eighties
Moonstone Palace
Moving Out 2
Paleo Pines
Pizza Possum
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew (this is the new game by the Shadow Tactics/Desperados III team)
Solarpunk possibly? (they've used the nextfest hashtag in tweets)
Warhaven

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 11, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Worth noting that there'll be yet even more demos on the 19th for Steam Next Fest.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULsF7B6bFuU

I hope this doesn't suck, but hey gamepass so no biggie.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULsF7B6bFuU

I hope this doesn't suck, but hey gamepass so no biggie.

With a name like that I was expecting spies for some reason

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's set in the same universe as Pillars of Eternity.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am kinda looking forward to it, just for the novelty of having a "proper" open world RPG, that's not either TES or Eurojank.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I am looking forward to some more Amerijank, yes.

Is it actually open world, or more "big maps" like Outer Worlds? My expectations are just super low since that game :(

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sab669 posted:

I am looking forward to some more Amerijank, yes.

Is it actually open world, or more "big maps" like Outer Worlds? My expectations are just super low since that game :(
Outer Worlds was created by Obsidian, not Bethesda, and it probably had like 1/100th of the budget of Starfield

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Volte posted:

Outer Worlds was created by Obsidian, not Bethesda, and it probably had like 1/100th of the budget of Starfield

Avowed is made by Obsidian too. That's what they're talking about.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Avowed is made by Obsidian too. That's what they're talking about.
Whoops, my bad. I was reading the Xbox event thread simultaneously and everyone's talking about Starfield there and got my wires crossed.

Anyway I still have higher hopes for Avowed than Outer Worlds. That one was really a low budget small effort. I think it sucked but mainly because of the bad itemization and perk system. I think even with the tepid writing, it could have been a good game if it was mechanically more interesting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they are making The Outer Worlds 2 also lol. but it didn't show up today. i'll have my recap up in a bit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Volte posted:

Whoops, my bad. I was reading the Xbox event thread simultaneously and everyone's talking about Starfield there and got my wires crossed.

Anyway I still have higher hopes for Avowed than Outer Worlds. That one was really a low budget small effort. I think it sucked but mainly because of the bad itemization and perk system. I think even with the tepid writing, it could have been a good game if it was mechanically more interesting.

Generally agreed; my main take on OW was that it's good that the perks/items suck because that's really easy to fix the rest was adequate enough. I don't think the DLC ever did improve on those faults though.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

Lies of P: Pretty impressed with this one! When it comes to From Soft clones, I'm typically disappointed at the amount of jank that comes with them, but this actually felt surprisingly smooth and polished to me in all aspects, and had some interesting mechanics to it. There might be some oddities with it that appear on closer inspection, but I saw enough to consider this a must buy. Guess we'll finally get a Bloodborne PC game!

I really wanted to like this, and there are some interesting mechanics and nice changes from typical Souls-likes happening here, such as dropping your souls outside the boss arena, which is super friendly and frees you up to wander around and do something else and/or not worry about how many souls you have going in.

That being said, something about the movement, especially while locked on, just feels clumsy to me. The dodge feels like there's a slight delay before anything happens and it seems like the window is more demanding, and the block feels bad as well.

I know there's an "exact timing" mechanic for both of those things, and my stats were maybe crap for it (str build), but I never seemed to hit the sweet spot. I wasn't a real fan of that in Sekiro, so maybe this just isn't the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Generally agreed; my main take on OW was that it's good that the perks/items suck because that's really easy to fix the rest was adequate enough. I don't think the DLC ever did improve on those faults though.
My biggest problem with TOW was the writing. I didn't mind the smaller planets because like, hey, they're condensed and not barren, basically the opposite of Starfield. It's just the centrist-rear end 2016-rear end "capitalism is bad but probably we can fix it" writing that betrays it.