Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
More candids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I shot this portrait almost a decade ago of my now late grandfather. I'm planning on having it drum scanned and printed for my mother soon.
I'm not too happy about the framing cutting off his wrists though. Any suggestions for cropping or should I just leave as is?

I would leave as is, cutting off hands and feet for framing might be taboo but the photo here works so well with your initial framing, the space, with the sun hitting the leaves and the expression of your grandfather are so incredibly warming, I wouldn't lose anything.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 11, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

p0stal b0b posted:

More candids...

These are great 👍

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

p0stal b0b posted:

More candids...

good poo poo

also lol that avatar is a blast from the past

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yes I do closeups

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Our university's camera club did a photowalk today.

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!

Ihmemies posted:

Nice one!!!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Ihmemies posted:

this one is a real banger, great work

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Great colors in those, is that a fuji profile?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Great colors in those, is that a fuji profile?

I once got a set of discontinued VSCO film profiles for Lightroom. It’s one of those but edited a bit and saved as a new profile with a random name. I can’t say which one it originally was :shrug: Pity they discontinued the desktop profiles, I really like them :eng99:

Umm maybe it was originally a FP100C profile?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

I once got a set of discontinued VSCO film profiles for Lightroom. It’s one of those but edited a bit and saved as a new profile with a random name. I can’t say which one it originally was :shrug: Pity they discontinued the desktop profiles, I really like them :eng99:

Umm maybe it was originally a FP100C profile?

I tried to track those presets down recently and getting anything is a nightmare at this point.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Nephzinho posted:

I tried to track those presets down recently and getting anything is a nightmare at this point.

Yeah, I friggin' love how much I paid for those things (I think I bought 3-4 of the packs), only to have them get pulled from their site a couple years later. I get not offering ongoing support or creating new profiles for a legacy product, but it feels like a big "eff you" when they pull the original files. Like, at least leave a torrent up or something, what could it possibly cost you?

Fortunately I saved the install files to an external hard drive as I've been burned in a similar fashion by other companies before.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Haven't retouched these yet for skin blemishes (and tones in her makeup in the white outfit) but these are some of my current favorites.

edit: The imgur compression just keeps getting worse too, ugh. They don't even look the same in different browsers:

same imgur .jpeg link in firefox v chrome. wild.

lets try a screenshot dropped into discord

much better

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 18, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
e; wrong thread

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

i changed up how I would normally edit these and i'm happy with the result (more importantly my friend is too)
i should be used to how annoying glasses are to shoot around and yet

Edit: critique welcome :negative:

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 25, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Big fan of the framing and overall feel of the last photo there. Good separation from the background with good bokeh, and I, personally like the coloring of it. The grading looks like you maybe threw the shadows into a blue/green and lifted the blacks which gives a magazine feel. Overall I think that matches her feel and I think it works in this photo.

Middle two photos are good, a little more separation between subject and background might have helped a bit, with more of a feel for where they were taken evident in the background, though I don't know how much room you had to play with.

Stairs photo... I like the composition. Call me crazy if I'm overlooking a specific effect you're going for here, but I have to ask. Did you intend to make the sky green?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Viginti Septem posted:

Stairs photo... I like the composition. Call me crazy if I'm overlooking a specific effect you're going for here, but I have to ask. Did you intend to make the sky green?

I wanted to try to be very different than the other ones and pop more kinda edgy but i'm not super in love with how it came out

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Re profiles chat. I'm a big fan of Laura Sheridan who does really nice painterly portraits. I bought a pack of her Lr presets and they are fab.

IMG_3878-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2705-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2566-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2031-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Ominous Jazz posted:

I wanted to try to be very different than the other ones and pop more kinda edgy but i'm not super in love with how it came out

Be different! Keep doing different things. Push limits. It's through trial and error you'll find cool techniques.

Do you have discord?

I went nuts one day in Lightroom and came up with this

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 26, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I do, I am on the dork room discord

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
We have a dork room discord?

I'm on the One More Stop one

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Viginti Septem posted:

We have a dork room discord?

I'm on the One More Stop one

https://discord.gg/9APHpwqGKF

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Awesome, I've joined!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
these are some of my fave pics I've taken. I've basically arrived at a place where I am super happy with the end result. end result of a lot of lessons including narrowing down on my style and what I am good at

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ominous Jazz posted:

i changed up how I would normally edit these and i'm happy with the result (more importantly my friend is too)
i should be used to how annoying glasses are to shoot around and yet

Edit: critique welcome :negative:

these are nice and she looks fun to shoot with

one thing.. and bear in mind these are personal opinions, but some hues of green imo a touch ugly you've got a lot of green going on, including her hair, try moving the hue slider for that green hue and see if you like it a touch either way (you may not, and also not saying her hair is bad, I'm thinking of the background). the calibration slider can also do this but it's a bit of a broad stroke if you ask me. perhaps shifting the temperature might do a similar thing
I am glad she's happy with them, that's the most important thing for sure, and imo there are only two people's opinions that really matter and that's yours and hers, although it's always nice to have others tell you they like them :)

what lens is that and also what time of day was it shot

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 28, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
The Sony 85 f1.8 and around 630-7pm
Edit: I forgot i had my 1/8 promist filter on as well

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 28, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Your editing is completely ruining the shots. I don't know if you used a preset or just hacked with HSL/Curves but there's a strong color cast on the whole image that's making her look green and purple (and not in a way that works with her style). The sky in the first one is especially notable for being rough, bring that aqua blue luminance back up to something less unnatural and the hue back to what a sky should look like. There's nothing wrong with stylistic edits but these don't work at all IMO.

As for the compositions, the last is the best by a good bit. The first is an awkward angle and along with the third all the lines intersecting the subject distract from her. The second is better in both pose and composition but that window is also cluttered compared to the rest of the background. Last one is great, good clean background, complimentary angle and natural pose.

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I've made some in depth film emulation presets that combine Lightroom presets and custom profiles made from davinci resolve color tools (which are way more in depth) and converted from luts to get some great results. It'd be nice to get some outside testing from folks. Here's a few samples (first image is raw)

The beauty of this system is that newer versions of Lightroom give you a slider for the amount of both the profile and the preset, so you can precisely dial in the amount each apply to the photo and get really granular with the effects. If anyone would like to try them I can upload the files somewhere.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 28, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ominous Jazz posted:

The Sony 85 f1.8 and around 630-7pm
Edit: I forgot i had my 1/8 promist filter on as well

The promist is subtle huh.. I want one myself but wonder if that’d be too little.

I accidentally hit the texture slider in lightroom, the first the three grouped that contains texture at least, and did not hate the results when I bought it down 20 points and then grew to love it as a sort of pro mist filter faker

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
maybe go up to a 1/4th?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Bottom Liner posted:

Your editing is completely ruining the shots. I don't know if you used a preset or just hacked with HSL/Curves but there's a strong color cast on the whole image that's making her look green and purple (and not in a way that works with her style). The sky in the first one is especially notable for being rough, bring that aqua blue luminance back up to something less unnatural and the hue back to what a sky should look like. There's nothing wrong with stylistic edits but these don't work at all IMO.

As for the compositions, the last is the best by a good bit. The first is an awkward angle and along with the third all the lines intersecting the subject distract from her. The second is better in both pose and composition but that window is also cluttered compared to the rest of the background. Last one is great, good clean background, complimentary angle and natural pose.

i appreciate the feedback and i made edits based on what you said and i'm pretty happy with the results. i gotta learn more about color correction.

edit: i forgot to include the edits
DSC08543
you were right about the green and worse you were right about the composition because i straight up don't like this picture. does not help that they took their glasses off and were squinting
DSC08537
DSC08526

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 29, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the weather was grim but we found this neat looking plant and makes for a great backdrop

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great backdrop, great photo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

video still but it was too good to not pull

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Backgrounds are always the most challenging part... to find something which looks nice. Otherwise you could just use a studio or something. Red plants look always nice!

Our camera club had a summer picnic.. and naturally cameras were involved. Quite a lot of people came, I counted 15 total!

(someone took this with my camera :v:)

Then there's this, I guess group portraits also count?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this rules

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

These are quite basic again. "let's just wing this out see what we get".

Gotta finally try to figure out some ideas and poses beforehand for the next time. Pre-thought out color combination and a few poses to try to imitate perhaps...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

These are quite basic again. "let's just wing this out see what we get".

is there any other way ? lol

but yeah. I'll always wing it, but I should have a lot more go-to poses etc so winging it doesn't mean I have no idea what to do.

they came out good mate.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

echinopsis posted:

is there any other way ? lol

but yeah. I'll always wing it, but I should have a lot more go-to poses etc so winging it doesn't mean I have no idea what to do.

they came out good mate.

Well, like this video had a chair!! And green background... shaded spot..
https://youtu.be/ucBbEIdsvOo

And here they clearly thought about color combinations first - clothing, location, how they work together.. :monocle:
https://youtu.be/KjQ-2XUIl54

Those would not be too much effort. At least think about a color combo next. And uhh collect some "go-to" poses you can check and on the field and try to direct the model with help of an existing pose :D Because I don't know anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

These are quite basic again.

nah this is killer. only possible critique is to try a 4x5 crop and cut some of the top of the frame.