Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It’s also confirmed that Jun Senoue is the lead composer and “focused on making it sound like a classic game.” Maybe those boss themes aren’t placeholders after all.
He’s working with internal Sega composers and external ones like Tee Lopes, so… maybe some of the soundtrack will be good?

Stairmaster posted:

its so over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

hatty posted:

Ohshima is a nice guy but I dont trust Arzest to make fun level designs. Would rather them go to Dimps

This may be the first time in all my years that I’ve seen this sentiment.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t even like Dimps, I just really hated Hey Pikmin and Yoshis’ New Island

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hell yeah

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

man nurse posted:

This may be the first time in all my years that I’ve seen this sentiment.

Arzest/Artoon are pretty bad. Like I'm not gonna even blame them for Balan Wonderworld cause trying to design around that one button gameplay design is insane, but their track record ranges from forgettable to just bad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also a lot of Ballan was the toxic combination of Naka and Square Enix.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also a lot of Ballan was the toxic combination of Naka and Square Enix.

pretty sure it you could replace S-E with anyone's name and it'd be correct

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hatty posted:

Ohshima is a nice guy but I dont trust Arzest to make fun level designs. Would rather them go to Dimps

that's a hosed up thing to say and that's coming from someone who just defended heroes

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean Dimps did a good job on the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush games, they just completely dropped the ball on Sonic 4. Obviously not my first choice when Headcannon exists, especially since their post Advance 1 attempts at classic sucked, but I'd certainly pick them over the Balan Wonderworld people.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’ll take the level design we’ve seen so far over Dimps’ linear endless pit-ridden stages they ended up making with Sonic 4 and beyond.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/iTsDakiii/status/1667738052746178561?s=20

So I guess in a way, the IGN boss music was technically placeholder.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 11, 2023

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

hatty posted:

Yoshi's Island is one of the best platformers of all time but Arzest were given multiple chances to make a basic level pack sequel and each time managed to spin gold into straw.

Even Yoshi's Story and Good Feel's games aren't that fun to me because they're incredibly easy until you want to torture yourself by going for 100%. If you just want more Yoshi's Island then at least there's that romhack that puts Yoshi in Sonic 2 :yoshi:

Sonic has so many ups and downs that you never really know what you're going to get. This does mean you get some real gems every so often. It's better than just a freefall into mediocrity where every game is just "fine" but never surprises you or surpasses your expectations.

With Yoshi they kept giving them to the same developer (until switching to Good Feel), with Star Fox they kept giving them to different developers and with F-ZERO they found the perfect developer to outsource it to and then never made another one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Personally I found New Island to be mediocre but playable at worst (better than Yoshi’s Island DS anyway) and while I personally haven’t played any of them I’ve heard good things about the RPGS Arzest has worked on. Balan Wonderworld was a terrible concept to begin with that I don’t think anyone could have made good.

As others have said, Superstars looks fine and the reaction by people who played the demo seems generally positive (kind of like Frontiers in that regard)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, Classic Sonic was a one button game, so why not a developer with experience :v:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If it looks like a Sonic 4 and sounds like a Sonic 4...

I am excited to find out if Arzest can make a better Sonic game than Dimps. They may not have Tee Lopes (or do they?) or christian Whitehead, but the OG guy and former contracted modelers clearly knocked it out of the park on the character design.

You can get the modern Amy clothes model DLC for free by signing up for the newsletter:
https://sonicsuperstars.com/newsletter/index.html?lang=en
PS4, PS5, XBONE, Series X/S, Switch, and Epic Games.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 11, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

I am excited to find out if Arzest can make a better Sonic game than Dimps. They may not have Tee Lopes (or do they?) or christian Whitehead, but Oshima and former contracted modelers clearly knocked it out of the park on the character design.

You can get the modern Amy clothes model DLC for free by signing up for the newsletter:
https://sonicsuperstars.com/newsletter/index.html?lang=en
PS4, PS5, XBONE, Series X/S, Switch, and Epic Games.

Literally on this very page:

https://twitter.com/TeeLopes/status/1667718371746488327

And once again, this looks way more competent than Sonic 4 and the people that have actually played the game generally only have good things to say about it so far

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

good thing it doesn't look or sound like a sonic 4

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I still can't believe they never made a Mania 2

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ColdPie posted:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sonic Mania came out 23 years after Sonic 3 & Knuckles so the same amount of time needs to pass for Mania 2 to have the same impact. Only 17 years to go :corsair:

Maybe they're afraid of diminishing returns, like how Mega Man 10 sold less than 9 because the novelty of a brand new NES style game had worn off. It can't have been because MM9 was annoyingly hard when all the games after MM1 were mostly fair and forgiving.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

corporate execs are not capable of creative thought they can only regurgitate

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

That loving Sned posted:

Sonic Mania came out 23 years after Sonic 3 & Knuckles so the same amount of time needs to pass for Mania 2 to have the same impact. Only 17 years to go :corsair:

Maybe they're afraid of diminishing returns, like how Mega Man 10 sold less than 9 because the novelty of a brand new NES style game had worn off. It can't have been because MM9 was annoyingly hard when all the games after MM1 were mostly fair and forgiving.

It solds less because it sucked, OP. MM9 sucked too, but most Megaman fans seethe at the idea of a Megaman game that isn't MM2, so it sold well enough.

Sega accidentally let a good 2D Sonic game get made in the last decade and they're still mad about it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
MM9 and 10 were good

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

hatty posted:

MM9 and 10 were good

Big disagree

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
mm9 and 10 kick rear end actually

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Guys if you want to play MM2 forever emulators are free

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sonic-superstars-is-developed-by-original-designers-studio-sega-confirms/

Mania 2 was planned, but talks with Christian Whitehead broke down.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

gently caress

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

E:never mind

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Yeah, that seems like a bad level for a gameplay demonstration because it's just filled with retreads of all the most annoying level gimmicks in the series: You have the afore-mentioned CD tubes, An enemy that holds you in place like the chain traps in Mushroom Hill and those drat fuckin' poles you spin on from the 3D games - Why do they keep putting those in there? They're terrible! It also has one of those bosses you can only hurt by getting it to hit itself with its own projectiles, which just never feel good to fight. The Death Egg mini boss from 3&K was at least novel in the way you have to fight it, but way too often these kinds of bosses just end up being an exercise in waiting around.

I'm hoping the other levels have better set-ups, because that one just looks like kind of a bland pain in the rear end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ColdPie posted:

It has not been that long.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBPxFSNpFbQ

Some gameplay footage here but people talking. Really bad gameplay footage because they're godawful at it.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 11, 2023

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Guys if you want to play MM2 forever emulators are free

this has got to be one of the dumbest criticisms i've ever heard in my life, congratulations

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ll say this: the game isn’t weirdly remixing Sonic 1/2 ideas like 4 did for whatever reason. It even has a unique special zone with powers granted for each emerald which is nice for players who aren’t good enough to get every last one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I just realized that with the upcoming Origins DLC Amy will most likely finally get her own Super form (maybe in Superstars as well depending on how they handle that)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

On another note, I just realized that with the upcoming Origins DLC Amy will most likely finally get her own Super form (maybe in Superstars as well depending on how they handle that)

I hope that, whatever form her super form ends up taking, it involves her hammer growing to comically large proportions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

I hope that, whatever form her super form ends up taking, it involves her hammer growing to comically large proportions.

I imagine she’ll just glow like everyone who isn’t Sonic but yeah, it’d be cool if her hammer got some kind of powerup as well (maybe upgrade it to the giant one she gets when paired up with Knuckles in Advance 3)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress yes

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It has not been that long.

It's been 6 years. The entire classic era between Sonic 1 and Adventure was 7.5.

Probably some insulting low-ball offer like when they tried to get Ryan Drummond back for Sonic Generations.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 11, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

Her Super Form is the hammer, and it uses powered up Amy to bonk things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What if, and bear with me here, akimbo hammers