Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Good news!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11545483-advanced-r%26d-consoles%21 posted:

The components for these recipes can be found in Elite TFOs or in the Infinity Promotion Research and Development Pack, and both components and crafted items can be traded on the exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ugh.

This might actually force goon groups. Because I can not imagine trying to grind elite TFOs with pubbies. And you know this is going to push the unwashed masses of STO players into the elite queues.

Soloing ISE, CSE, and Defense of Starbase 1 Elite should be trivial at this point, unless the mats come from other elites than those you should be fine.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Phew, there were still some resources not in the hands of the space 1% yet. I'm glad that's being fixed finally.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So if you are building an anti-proton dual heavy cannon Fleet Shepard with just fleet and rep resources how would you put it together? And since I believe the answer is a lot of Disco rep stuff what would be the second choices so I can get some use out of other factions?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Trast posted:

So if you are building an anti-proton dual heavy cannon Fleet Shepard with just fleet and rep resources how would you put it together? And since I believe the answer is a lot of Disco rep stuff what would be the second choices so I can get some use out of other factions?

If you don’t have or want disco gear, the Iconian rep set is very comfortable to use (several auto-restarts and debuff cleanses) and the 4-piece clicky gives an antiproton damage boost.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Preechr posted:

If you don’t have or want disco gear, the Iconian rep set is very comfortable to use (several auto-restarts and debuff cleanses) and the 4-piece clicky gives an antiproton damage boost.

I have also heard the competitive rep engine is very good. Buy I will look into the Iconian set thank you.

How about console choices? I know the fleet tac consoles for crit are a must.

Trast fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 6, 2023

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The ~meta~ last I checked for energy weapon builds is a fleet deflector*, a colony impulse engine*, and the Disco rep warp core and shield (the pieces are individually good and the 2P is a bigger survivability boost than you'd think). But that's hardly the only option and stuff like the Iconian rep set and some other frankencombos still work good enough that you won't notice an appreciable difference.

* I don't remember which specific ones but it's not too hard to pick out the Ones which Make More Pew Pew

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

STO Better has you covered for budget builds of any type.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The iconian was meta like. . . 5? 6? years ago. Maybe longer? I've got a gold set kicking around on one of my secondary ships, I think the one I pull out when I need disruptor damage.

Anyways, it's fine. It's not top tier meta any more but it's totally respectable and can be the core of a very good build. It also has the benefit of being fairly easy to get complete.

I don't know if I'd raise one all the way up to XV gold today, but even if it's just a rest stop on the way to your final built it's worth throwing some phonenix upgrades at it to bump it to XV and whatever flavor of purple it lands on, then coast on that while you put together the poo poo you want to settle into.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Yeah it’s not meta anymore but it is pretty comfortable and brainless to use, you get to effectively ignore most disables. I think it goes well on intel ships with OSS because whatever crashes gets instantly fixed.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Trast posted:

I have also heard the competitive rep engine is very good. Buy I will look into the Iconian set thank you.

How about console choices? I know the fleet tac consoles for crit are a must.

Competitive engine is meta but the meta is tuned for running the borg task forces. I've got the "tactical power" one and that was a mistake. Random speed boosts mean lots of mouse wheel speed adjustments. I don't play with ship fittings much but I might swap back to the Iconian engine/shield.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MisterOblivious posted:

Competitive engine is meta but the meta is tuned for running the borg task forces. I've got the "tactical power" one and that was a mistake. Random speed boosts mean lots of mouse wheel speed adjustments. I don't play with ship fittings much but I might swap back to the Iconian engine/shield.
Yeah, the meta is heavily tuned for ISE/HSE, often in ships that aren't very maneuverable on their own. The comp engines are helpful for getting into position quickly to do more DPS. But they definitely require some getting used to, and probably aren't worth it on a faster ship. If you don't like the innervated comp engines (the usual recommendation, the ones that give a speed boost when you activate a firing mode), you could try the fortified comp engines. Those give a speed boost when you activate a heal, which often won't be on your spambar. That gives you a little more control over when you get the speed boost.

If you don't want them at all, there's a few other options. The romulan rep engines give a bit of CrtD. Or you could use the disco engine for the 2pc and then the elite fleet plasma integrated warp core because it's one of the best standalone cores. The disco shield gets recommended so often because it gives bonus damage against shields, and if you're running one part you might as well run the 2pc for the massive hull regen it gives. But since you're only running it for the 2pc, it doesn't matter which other part of the disco set you run.

Unless it's the deflector. Any deflector that's not the fleet colony deflector will be a DPS decrease, since the colony deflector gives a massive amount of CrtH.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So looking at the advanced consoles, what's the next best +WEPTYPE tac console after the spires? Back to the basic ones? Or was there another one I've forgotten about.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

g0del posted:

Yeah, the meta is heavily tuned for ISE/HSE, often in ships that aren't very maneuverable on their own. The comp engines are helpful for getting into position quickly to do more DPS. But they definitely require some getting used to, and probably aren't worth it on a faster ship. If you don't like the innervated comp engines (the usual recommendation, the ones that give a speed boost when you activate a firing mode), you could try the fortified comp engines. Those give a speed boost when you activate a heal, which often won't be on your spambar. That gives you a little more control over when you get the speed boost.

If you don't want them at all, there's a few other options. The romulan rep engines give a bit of CrtD. Or you could use the disco engine for the 2pc and then the elite fleet plasma integrated warp core because it's one of the best standalone cores. The disco shield gets recommended so often because it gives bonus damage against shields, and if you're running one part you might as well run the 2pc for the massive hull regen it gives. But since you're only running it for the 2pc, it doesn't matter which other part of the disco set you run.

Unless it's the deflector. Any deflector that's not the fleet colony deflector will be a DPS decrease, since the colony deflector gives a massive amount of CrtH.

Yeah I've got a gold fleet colony deflector. That's not going anywhere. The other 3 are a tossup trying to fit the 2pc bonus in.
The Hot-Start feature of the Iconian set on an OSS Intel ship was pretty handy!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Using OSS on a non hotstart ship gets pretty annoying after a while because you breakdown in space so often as a result.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

So looking at the advanced consoles, what's the next best +WEPTYPE tac console after the spires? Back to the basic ones? Or was there another one I've forgotten about.

Probably the Colony Protomatter tac consoles: https://stowiki.net/wiki/Fleet_Tactical_Consoles#Colony_World

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So does this console change screw up existing builds?

Gotta admit I'm not quite tracking what it does other than it's great for sci ships. Can I not stack my spire consoles any more?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

So does this console change screw up existing builds?

Gotta admit I'm not quite tracking what it does other than it's great for sci ships. Can I not stack my spire consoles any more?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You can only equip one kind of Advanced console: Sci, Tac, or Eng. You can have as many Adv Sci consoles as you want, but then you can't equip any Adv Tac or Adv Eng consoles.

It won't screw up any existing builds (by the text of the update; this IS STO we're talking about). Only Spire Tac consoles are being changed. Sci and Eng are getting entirely new consoles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It won't screw up any existing builds (by the text of the update; this IS STO we're talking about). Only Spire Tac consoles are being changed. Sci and Eng are getting entirely new consoles.

So right now I've got a 4 spire tac consoles sitting on my ship. I can keep using all those together? The way I was initially reading it it sounded like you only got one advanced console, but it's one kind?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

[url posted:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11545483-advanced-r%26d-consoles%21[/url]
Advanced Consoles are a new sort of console that works much like a normal one, with one exception: Advanced Consoles of one profession cannot be mixed with Advanced Consoles from another profession. So, while you could mix and match Advanced Science Consoles, you could not equip one Advanced Science Console and one Advanced Engineering Console at the same time.

Again, it's STO. The wouldn't be the first time they've changed thing for balance after a blog has been written. But there's currently no explicit indication of a limit within one adv console family.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

So right now I've got a 4 spire tac consoles sitting on my ship. I can keep using all those together? The way I was initially reading it it sounded like you only got one advanced console, but it's one kind?

Yeah, I don't think it's going to make much sense until people play with it for a day.

I wonder if you'll be able to mix different sub-types of the tac spire consoles after this. I know that's not optimal, but I do it on my lazy-torp build

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Neo-Constitution coming to PC in the Infinity Lockbox.

overall seems solid. MW-cruiser. Console and Trait seem solid, but IDK if they're meta-changing. But just more nice stuff for beam boats.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Neo-Constitution coming to PC in the Infinity Lockbox.

overall seems solid. MW-cruiser. Console and Trait seem solid, but IDK if they're meta-changing. But just more nice stuff for beam boats.

Looks like it’s actually a promo pack ship

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Has Independent Wingmate always been so expensive or did it spike due to the pet buff consoles?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Has Independent Wingmate always been so expensive or did it spike due to the pet buff consoles?

It spiked a while back. There were some changes to pets that made it more viable, and there were also some changes to availability in the Infinity lockbox when the cross-faction flying dropped. This will probably make it worse.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

It spiked a while back. There were some changes to pets that made it more viable, and there were also some changes to availability in the Infinity lockbox when the cross-faction flying dropped. This will probably make it worse.

Glad I was able to pick it up today then.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
When does that one drop into the infinity box pool?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pioneer42 posted:

When does that one drop into the infinity box pool?
It should be the next one, assuming they don't mix them up again like they did with the Far From Home and Emerald Chain lockboxes. But based on recent boxes I wouldn't expect it until the end of this year or early next year.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Here's some details on the new sci-hole console:

For context, here's the details on the rest of my ship. I'm running a super-lazy scihole with everything on macro and just dumping damage at whatever's in front of me.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

For context, here's the details on the rest of my ship. I'm running a super-lazy scihole with everything on macro and just dumping damage at whatever's in front of me.

Do you have what your current EPG is for that ship/build, by chance?

Like I feel I'm getting now what this is- it really isn't much of an EPG multiplier, but instead it's a spire tac console, but it's sci/eng slotting, and the bennie beyond the weapon damage % is not crit focused?

So it seems nice, but sort feels like it's not exactly a crazy meta thing. For this Sci/EPG one, I could see someone slotting 1-2 of them as opposed to some B-tier universals maybe? The ENG ones seem more interesting now just because there aren't a ton of ENG-centric consoles people use, and plenty of eng-slot heavy cruisers who have needed some love...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 9, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting. Can it be re-engineered or is the modifier at the mercy of the RNG?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Interesting. Can it be re-engineered or is the modifier at the mercy of the RNG?

I think they just updated the spire vuln. locater consoles to be re-engineered, so I'm betting these can be as well.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I think they just updated the spire vuln. locater consoles to be re-engineered, so I'm betting these can be as well.

Yeah I checked the wiki and it says the new crafted ones can be, but not the Spire ones, but that may be wrong. But then again, you can just buy whatever modifier you want with the spire ones.

Of course they tied the EPG console parts to Ground TFOs.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Do you have what your current EPG is for that ship/build, by chance?

Like I feel I'm getting now what this is- it really isn't much of an EPG multiplier, but instead it's a spire tac console, but it's sci/eng slotting, and the bennie beyond the weapon damage % is not crit focused?

So it seems nice, but sort feels like it's not exactly a crazy meta thing. For this Sci/EPG one, I could see someone slotting 1-2 of them as opposed to some B-tier universals maybe? The ENG ones seem more interesting now just because there aren't a ton of ENG-centric consoles people use, and plenty of eng-slot heavy cruisers who have needed some love...

I anticipated your question, and the sci stats are on the link. Spoiler: 203 sitting idle. It'll spike during combat, but I didn't feel like running more last night.

The numbers really don't feel high enough to be automatically part of the meta, but I only have a loose grasp on STO math.

Hunter Noventa posted:

It can be re-engineered. That one started with mines(lol0, and I spent ~16k dil trying to get EPG on it. I settled on torpedoes. Virtually every modifier is on the list, so it ends up being about 20 entries. I saw shield cap and chroniton multiple times.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I anticipated your question, and the sci stats are on the link. Spoiler: 203 sitting idle. It'll spike during combat, but I didn't feel like running more last night.

The numbers really don't feel high enough to be automatically part of the meta, but I only have a loose grasp on STO math.

Gracias- sorry I should have checked.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm interested in the hangar pet ones myself. I don't have SAD, but I've got a few other hangar traits and it would give me more impetus to pick up the Hydra for its trait.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

The sci consoles are also fighting the fact that they're scaling off EPG, but a lot of the consoles that really boost EPG are also sci consoles.

On the other hand, I suspect the eng +wpnpwr ones combined with bellum consoles in the tac slots will be the new meta for eng-heavy DEW ships.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I checked the wiki and it says the new crafted ones can be, but not the Spire ones, but that may be wrong. But then again, you can just buy whatever modifier you want with the spire ones.

Of course they tied the EPG console parts to Ground TFOs.

Is this the new wiki that they were talking about moving to? Also, has anyone checked the hanger pet consoles? The listed damage bonuses seemed pretty big so stacking with traits and stuff could be significant.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

OGS-Remix posted:

Is this the new wiki that they were talking about moving to? Also, has anyone checked the hanger pet consoles? The listed damage bonuses seemed pretty big so stacking with traits and stuff could be significant.

That is the new wiki yes. It's gotten a lot more functional and its being actively updated. A lot of guides and such still point to the old one though.

And yeah, the new hangar consoles sound sick for any hangar pets with torpedoes, but I'll wait for the whales to hash it out before i go looking for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It is my pleasure to report that the hangar consoles are ridiculous. With 5 of them on my Valkis, I had a romulan drone (with independent wingman) landing 125k+ beam overload hits at rank 5.

e: :laffo: and now a 242k hit.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 11, 2023