Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I had a stuck and only partially spawned-in caravan that was just sitting there. I managed to fix it by systematically interrogating each merchant on made up charges and then letting them go. Each time their wagon would explode when I dragged the merchant off, after which the next wagon would spawn in.

Now I'm getting caravans coming normally again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is there a setting to slow down the pace of agitated bug attacks on the surface. Its now just a constant stream of either mantises , owls or mosquitos, one gets shot down, immediately new ones turn up. Non stop. Its kind of not fun. :/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you mowing down huge swathes of the forest topside?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is going on in my tavern? Last time I played I grumbled about elves and goblins hanging around drinking my booze. Now things are completely out of control.

Little blue guy in the lower left is some kind of frogman criminal. Gobbo in the middle is naked. No excuse either, several people have discarded their pants nearby, he could put something on.

Purple lady in the upper right is a "dwarf bard necromancer". There's also a human bard doomed corpse. Dwarf bard dark hunter. Human poet doomed corpse. Dwarf poet risen butcher. What the heck? I don't even think they are together. I guess if the local necromancer takes up a singing career you go along with it, because it's better than their previous hobby?

At least the necromancer seems to be having a good time. This sad sack is wasting their unholy mockery of life.

Never feels anything. Their poetry must be dire.

Do you have a justice system, and any unsolved crimes? If so, try interrogating the gobbo and the necromancer and some of the other weirdos. Even if they couldn't have possibly had anything to do with the crime you're interrogating them for, sometimes they'll confess to other stuff. Very likely some of these are spies trying to convert dwarves into stealing artifacts for them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do you have a justice system, and any unsolved crimes? If so, try interrogating the gobbo and the necromancer and some of the other weirdos. Even if they couldn't have possibly had anything to do with the crime you're interrogating them for, sometimes they'll confess to other stuff. Very likely some of these are spies trying to convert dwarves into stealing artifacts for them.

Oh yeah, I interrogate the visitors regularly. The Human Bard Doomed Corpse has previously confessed to espionage, but she'd left by the time I checked the justice screen. Then she came back?!? So I convicted her this time. Not sure what good that does though. She's undead, she's just sitting in my dungeon for 213 days not feeling anything.

The frogman is openly a criminal. He's the commander of an outcast gang.

There doesn't seem to be a way to expel unsavory visitors. I suppose I could try to kill the worst ones, but not while the necromancer is around. AFAIK they only thing you can do is close your tavern, library etc., to all visitors, and I don't want to do that until I snag a couple good scholars. As it is I've put all my trash artifacts on display in the tavern so at least there are plenty of witnesses when one goes missing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh yeah, I interrogate the visitors regularly. The Human Bard Doomed Corpse has previously confessed to espionage, but she'd left by the time I checked the justice screen. Then she came back?!? So I convicted her this time. Not sure what good that does though. She's undead, she's just sitting in my dungeon for 213 days not feeling anything.

The frogman is openly a criminal. He's the commander of an outcast gang.

There doesn't seem to be a way to expel unsavory visitors. I suppose I could try to kill the worst ones, but not while the necromancer is around. AFAIK they only thing you can do is close your tavern, library etc., to all visitors, and I don't want to do that until I snag a couple good scholars. As it is I've put all my trash artifacts on display in the tavern so at least there are plenty of witnesses when one goes missing.

Yeah I had one zombie visitor who was sentenced to a hammering, got all smashed up but recovered because she was a zombie, and then came back a year later to hang out some more even though we previously crushed all her bones.

Usually if I've convicted someone of a crime and they served their time I let them come back and chill. Unless they are really a troublemaker or a repeat offender, then there's a bridge over lava just outside my interrogation room that may "accidentally" get pulled while they are on it.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

A funny thing to do is to arrest someone and then wall in their cell so there's no physical way for them to leave (or for a caretaker to give them food or water). This is a good way to kill off problem dwarfs that keep having tantrums and refuse to stop being depressed but for undead visitors i guess they'd just be sitting in there forever

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can also just dump their cage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

the bitcoin of weed posted:

A funny thing to do is to arrest someone and then wall in their cell so there's no physical way for them to leave (or for a caretaker to give them food or water). This is a good way to kill off problem dwarfs that keep having tantrums and refuse to stop being depressed but for undead visitors i guess they'd just be sitting in there forever

Residents have an expel button now, no need to do war crimes about it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are you mowing down huge swathes of the forest topside?

Yes. gently caress the elves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

disturbing the environment, like mowing down forests, mass overfishing etc agitates the local wildlife.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Residents have an expel button now, no need to do war crimes about it.

Are you even playing dwarf fortress if you're not regularly doing war crimes

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This is fun but I enjoy doing a floodgate with a lever outside so that a theoretical adventurer could one day release them exploring my dungeons

Nope, just a goblin skeleton in this one. Oh, this one has a naked hyena man vampire, hello, how long have you been down here? 100 years? That's so interesting. Can't wait to read the legends mode entry

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I had a dwarf die in a tree from dehydration. I can only think that he climbed the tree with a stepladder and then some dick took the stepladder away leaving him to die.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cowman posted:

I had a dwarf die in a tree from dehydration. I can only think that he climbed the tree with a stepladder and then some dick took the stepladder away leaving him to die.

this is the inevitable result of stepladders existing anywhere in your fort

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Are you even playing dwarf fortress if you're not regularly doing war crimes

I'm sure to strip all my prisoners naked before releasing them back out into the world, which if not a full war crime is probably at least frowned upon in greater society.

Now the things I do to goblins, those are war crimes for sure

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Some big things going in this month's dev update.

quote:

This month we have several goals. We're going to start by getting the experimental branch moved over to the main line. The update of the engine from SDL to SDL2 is stable, and there will also be a multithreading option. It's off by default until we get some more testing done on the experimental branch, but the speed gains are significant, so it will be available in the settings as well. The update to SDL2 was the most important change for ports, so Linux and Mac versions are much closer now.

Adventure mode work is underway! I have an adventurer running around in the graphical play area. As with fortress mode, the game already exists, but now we need to work through the interface for every possible action and event, as well as creating the sound landscape with our new audio engineers. This will be a long process, but it'll be fun to watch it come together, and we'll be able to update regularly on our progress there now that adventure work has finally begun.

Over in fortress mode, Putnam's almost ready with a menu to review old reports and announcements and is working on making filterable-sortable lists more consistent. Between the adventure work I should have a chance to look at ammunition issues this month as well. And we've got additional tree and plant graphics coming down the line, as well as graphical improvements to engravings, bookshelves, and more.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

multithreading. it's finally happening.

specifically it's multithreading the line-of-sight code, which is the biggest contributor to late-game slowdown

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

specifically it's multithreading the line-of-sight code, which is the biggest contributor to late-game slowdown

What a time to be alive.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Implementing multithreading into something as complex as DF can't possibly go wrong.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Implementing multithreading into something as complex as DF can't possibly go wrong.
I think you typo'd a word there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Babe Magnet posted:

I thought putnam used a profiler and discovered it was actually the temp update code? or was it both?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't remember the exact ranking but the important thing is that temperature can simply be switched off, with only minor and circumstantial gameplay consequences

whereas line of sight calculations cannot and are kind of vital to the game functioning at all

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I think's that's it, I may have just got the wording a little off. You can already disable temp stuff if it's a problem.

Also it's not enabled by default due to it still being in testing, but most people seem to reporting that there's no real issues if you turn it on, at the moment.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think you typo'd a word there.

Ah I see they accidentally wrote "fun" as "complex."

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Really hoping that patch drops soon. I had some serious death visit my fortress and I was hoping the fps would increase going from 104 to 26 people, but it feels even slower than before.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the multithreading patch is already available in the experimental beta branch on steam if you want to try it out

i think putnam determined that line-of-sight code is the biggest performance bottleneck, but the temperature code is also a significant one. they tried to multithread the temperature code too but it just broke everything, while the multithreaded line-of-sight code seems to be fairly stable - there's obviously the possibility of rare inscrutable race condition bugs but it seems to work fine enough with gigantic performance benefits already

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turning off temperature is great. Dwarfs can go wading through lava. On purpose.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Coming back to this after a few months, have they fixed any of the oddities and bugs surrounding getting marksdwarves to work?

As I recall, making a marksdwarf function requires assigning it them to a squad which has had a quiver and crossbow in its uniform from the moment it was created, and also requires having your ammo stockpile not use bins.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lost another fortress. I survived 8 Forgotten Beasts but the 9th webspitting one ended everything. It reduced my entire population to just my necromancer (who was locked in the library) and a Dwarven child.

The kid later died, and to top it off no one is emigrating to my tomb/fortress. Now the when place is filling with ghosts and intelligent undead who aren't helping at all.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cheetah7071 posted:

Coming back to this after a few months, have they fixed any of the oddities and bugs surrounding getting marksdwarves to work?

As I recall, making a marksdwarf function requires assigning it them to a squad which has had a quiver and crossbow in its uniform from the moment it was created, and also requires having your ammo stockpile not use bins.

Toady posted a devlog mentioning he knew about it and would address it between working on adventurer mode.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don't worry, dwarven milk comes from purring maggots, not dwarfs.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't worry, dwarven milk comes from purring maggots, not dwarfs.

:wtf: this game

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Do people think this as well when they hear about Swiss cheese?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dwarven cheese usually appears among a whole bunch of other cheeses which are named for their milk source.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Slashrat posted:

Do people think this as well when they hear about Swiss cheese?

If i told you I made some human cheese you'd have an expectation thats very much not "human cheese is made from cow milk"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

When you don't make soap, you get a lot of dwarven cheese.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this dude thinks the Swiss are a different species

and he's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sankis posted:

If i told you I made some human cheese you'd have an expectation thats very much not "human cheese is made from cow milk"

Yeah if the majority of cheese made by humans was traditionally sourced only from cows tho