Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hirayuki posted:

https://youtu.be/ACTbrq1jzXY

A bunch of rikishi are better-than-average singers. Takayasu comes to mind, too. And Enho, showing it's not necessarily the bigger body giving them musical chops.

Takayasu is half Filipino and if you find his mum's YouTube channel, it's mostly Takayasu either singing karaoke or phone camera recordings of him singing on TV.

My understanding is that karaoke is a big deal in the Philippines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Here it is https://www.youtube.com/@bebelitatakayasu3446 but it feels like there should be more there? I wonder if there was a different channel before and it copyright nuked or something, hmm.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
sumo

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Somebody please post the steaming iron commercial with a rikishi singing. it owns so much

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You got it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJFYX8SRj8s

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love how Ikioi sang poo poo that either sounded like his name (like here, "Futari de Ikiyou") or slipped his name into stuff (like the "Hakkeyoi, hakkeyoi" song, which he sang "Hakkeyoi, Ikioi"). It's the (very) little things.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

:siren: Hanazumo :siren:

I want to apologize for the delay in posting this; once the results rolled in, I wanted to triple check everything before posting. to say it was a nail-biter is an understatement.

First off our Hanazumo Sansho:

As a reminder
Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

Our gino-sho go to: tiny bug child, thauros, anakha
Our shukun-sho go to: samuel l hacksaw, bessantj, bentai
And finally our kanto-sho: anakha

I want to state here that the sole reason I awarded Kanto-sho as I did was because Anakha was the only one to bet on Meisei and I feel like that was enough of a choice to make it count.

For what we've all been waiting for, our FINAL RESULTS:

code:
66.5	bessantj
66	Thauros
62.5	Samuel L Hacksaw
62	Khizan
59	Average Lettuce
59	Bentai
57	whats for dinner
56.5	Akiosan
56.5	Gaghskull
56	anakha
56	Saturnine Aberrance
55.5	Mode 7
55	MyChemicalImbalance
54.5	Fearless
53	Chinook
53	Helianthus Annuus
51	pseudodragon
51	Tiny Bug Child
50	Crusty Nutsack
49	Charles Gnarwin
45.5	NTRabbit
45.5	Single Tight Female
44.5	Lid
43.5	Dead Goon
43.5	Eli949
43.5	Ice Phisherman
43	Banana Canada
41	bartolimu
41	QuasiQuack
38	oldskool
37	Pakled
33.5	Xerzes
31.5	Beexoffel
This one came down to the wire but congrats go to Bessantj for scraping out a .5 point win.

Afterthoughts

First off, whew! When I asked Kenning about running this, I did not expect what I signed up for. They clearly have a well oiled machine going but, as with any other well oiled machine, an inexperienced operator can easily mess it up. It's really a credit to his spreadsheet how easily I was able to get it to work with some minor cajoling, even with my rudimentary knowledge of excel. The field that we had was smaller than the norm but it still was nothing to shy away from. I remain in awe of the work that they've done for our tiny corner of fantasy sumo.

When I saw the results, I wanted to make sure that I triple checked everything, hence leading to the delay in posting this. The math was tight but exciting and I'm 95% confident it's correct in the end. No promotions/demotions are on the line but I still feel obligated to get it correct for the thread.

I have enjoyed running this, I will continue to enjoy watching this with you all, and I look forward to many more basho to come. Fantasy Sumo on something awful dot com is in good hands and I hope that our community continues to grow as we spread our brand of sumo to the four corners of this forum.

Sumo Banzai!

Robviously fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 7, 2023

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

you're an excellent second in command, robviously

thank you for your hard work! even though i didn't join in, it was fun to watch along

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Thanks for running the basho, Robviously.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

2 special prizes for a lineup that didn't feature the yusho or jun-yusho winners ain't too shabby. I'll happily take that.

Thanks Robviously!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll take fifth place! Thanks for running it!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

anakha posted:

2 special prizes for a lineup that didn't feature the yusho or jun-yusho winners ain't too shabby. I'll happily take that.

Meisei was a really interesting pick because he could have been toe to toe with Asanoyama but ended up fizzling a bit at the end there. Getting that kinboshi was the end of his run though as he ended with 6 straight losses. A real shame.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Thanks Robviously!

I am proud that my brand of fantasy sumo largely succeeded and I was able post through my poor performance last basho and move forward to a good result in this Jungyo tournament.

I will incorporate this learning into my sumo for the next basho and hope to have a similarly successful performance.

Thank you to all the old and new fans of fantasy sumo that came into this thread for this basho.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thank you for all the hard work, Robviously!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Thank you for your work, Robviously. I promise to learn absolutely nothing from my horrible performance and continue to pursue my brand of fantasy sumo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Does anyone know if Chiyomaru is hurt or just doing bad?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks a lot for taking up the sumo mantle for a basho!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

After a surprisingly solid Goongyo, I am hoping I can continue with my brand of sumo into the July tournament.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Thanks for running this, Robviously! Congrats to bessantj on the win!

I wonder what Terunofuji's condition is gonna be like in the July basho. Felt like he was reasonably solid despite his knees taking a few little knocks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice one Robviously, thanks for running the fantasy.

whats for dinner posted:

Thanks for running this, Robviously! Congrats to bessantj on the win!

Typical that the one I actually win doesn't promote me out of Juryo :cry:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for all of your efforts Robviously!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

My performance this basho was mediocre, but I asserted my brand of fantasy sumo (e.g., kept Takayasu come hell or high water) and I'm satisfied with the performance. Thanks for running the exhibition, Robviously!

Speaking of satisfaction with performance, here's an interesting interview with Chiyotairyu from Chris Sumo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-_h9jE1qY

Pretty cool he's getting that kind of access to folks, and I like that he's doing bilingual captions. Maybe it'll get him the higher viewership he needs to make some kind of return on everything he's invested in the channel.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I too kept Takayasu regardless of the results and am very pleased with how well the rest of my stable performed (though I'd be happier losing points and Takayasu sitting the whole tournament out to get fully healed). Thank you for running this Robviously, it is clearly a huge amount of work and it is appreciated.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1667038918854995970
Might be something to check out for any folk in the GTA?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1667038918854995970
Might be something to check out for any folk in the GTA?

if you post here and live there you should definitely go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No loving way. If this is at the JCCC then I am 100% going to live there for the duration. Hell I'll livestream it to you nerds.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

No loving way. If this is at the JCCC then I am 100% going to live there for the duration. Hell I'll livestream it to you nerds.

You are a hero.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Unless they're counting like Rama or something similarly in the middle of nowhere as Toronto, I'm probably going to check it out as it's going to be tough to not go see the GOAT if he's going to be within like an hour travel.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Could you imagine being to shake the GOATs hand? Even a hug maybe???

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

net work error posted:

Get him with a surprise tachiai and he might utchari you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/nishonosekibeya/status/1667413567572934658?s=61&t=VrH4j899Cir7N6REV5PrRg

Legends.

net work error posted:

I’ve been to a petting zoo :colbert:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1667514777772478464
Enho. :smith:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

That sucks. And he's only at 29 Juryo/Makuuchi basho so unless he sneaks into the next one at J15 or comes back to fight his way back into Juryo, he can't get elder status.

Dude would probably have made a pretty good coach too, since he's had to rely on pretty much perfect technique to make up for being tiny.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Would he necessarily have the funds to pay for an elder stock in the first place if he was able to just eke out the ranking requirements? Seems to me that the stocks have been getting quite expensive over recent years.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fearless posted:

Would he necessarily have the funds to pay for an elder stock in the first place if he was able to just eke out the ranking requirements? Seems to me that the stocks have been getting quite expensive over recent years.

He's a pretty popular dude so I assume he's got more supporters than a guy his level wound. But I also figure Hak might have pulled some favours from his backers/fronted some bucks if he wanted to build up his staff.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Given the culture, I wouldn't be shocked to see him try to tough out one more Basho but he absolutely should go the Ishiura, I think it was, route and retire early while he still has a semblance of a neck remaining. He absolutely should end up as a coach somewhere, I can't imagine that there aren't some smaller dudes who would love to get his secrets once he's ready to pass them on.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1667816192596123649?t=o2T9W7xRyuuWZgfCvtAWkg&s=19

Better news

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Thanks Robviously, for all the tracking of scores!
I will cherish my place at the bottom.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1668055052496547840

Is there anything Ochiai/Hakuoho can't do?

Being mildly serious though, the various offseason things that have been leaking out this tournament cycle have been fun to see (weddings, retirements, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

wodin posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1668055052496547840

Is there anything Ochiai/Hakuoho can't do?

Being mildly serious though, the various offseason things that have been leaking out this tournament cycle have been fun to see (weddings, retirements, etc).

dude sounds like he's done work for movies. well, there's a backup if the pressure of the new shikona gets to him.

god i'm trying to imagine the greatest ever giving me his ring name. i'd be obsessed with living up to it. every loss would be unacceptable. it'd drive me insane.