Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hey carhate thread, can i ask any of yall about how to shop for a bicycle after not riding one since i was in college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

hey carhate thread, can i ask any of yall about how to shop for a bicycle after not riding one since i was in college

there's a lot of good bike stores around where you live that its probably worth checking out, like mikes. those bike nerds at all the shops are super cool + knowledgeable and will hook you right up with what you want. i got my trek fx 7.2 there for like $400 back in 2016. plus its best to try em in person than ordering online

like do you want a commuter, hybrid, fancy mountain bike?

marin bikes are the go-to right now for sort of affordable entry-level pretty good builds. https://www.marinbikes.com/, e.g. fairfax or presidio models

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

If you've got the cash, e-bikes own for getting back into it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the thing is, bike tech has both gotten worse and also better. that is there's tons of very light weight frames, fancy brakesp, derailleurs which you can pay out the absolute rear end for, and it could be worth it if you got the money/use out of it. but it also hasn't changed much as it's all fundamentally the same poo poo from 100 years ago. the low-end these days tends to be absolute dogshit heavy rear end iron frame glued together with elmers glue and spit, just the absolute loving worst.

just don't expect to spend less than $600 and get something that isn't popsickles and zip-ties.

individual bike parts tend to be pretty pricy these days too; however, you could just buy an old 1970s frame for $20 and build one like a PC with the higher end pieces. even a DIY electric kit if you wanted to. but this might not be that much better than buying a decent mid-level bike.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Xaris posted:

individual bike parts tend to be pretty pricy these days too; however, you could just buy an old 1970s frame for $20 and build one like a PC with the higher end pieces. even a DIY electric kit if you wanted to. but this might not be that much better than buying a decent mid-level bike.

Let me just caution that bike standards went through a big change in the late 80's, so do your research and be ready to go hunting for parts on eBay if you buy an old bike.

My current road bike is a Goldia from the mid 80's with friction shifting. No one's heard of that brand because it was a bloke in a shed in rural Switzerland welding frames. Anyway, it came with a 6 speed Uniglide rear hub. Uniglide cassettes are so rare nowadays that an example in decent condition will sell on eBay for a couple hundred dollars. In order to find a Hyperglide (contemporary standard) hub in 126mm spacing (old standard), I had to scour eBay for a particular model of rear hub that Shimano had built for a short while during the transition from Uniglide/126mm to Hyperglide/130mm. I ended up importing a wheel from Albania.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just relegate all parking to Ohio. If you want to park your car, do so in Ohio and take whatever pogo stick from there. This might make Ohio worse, but I believe no one would really notice.

As for bikes, I'm super happy with my Nishiki, but I don't know how available they are in USA. I'd also really recommend checking out local bike stores, since a good one will be able to find the right bike for you and also help with tuneups and suchlike. Ideally you want to find a nerdy guy who is not huffing gear farts and will actually sell you a cheaper bike if that's what fits your needs. If they want to see you try out a bike, that's a good sign.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thread crossover

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Shear Modulus posted:

just get something like one of the following:

Kona Dew
Trek FX
Cannondale Quick
Specialized Sirrus
Jamis Coda
etc...

They are "commuter" style bikes, they are fast and zippy, light, easy to ride, and you can bolt all sorts of fenders/racks/aerodynamic fairings to them

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

If you're in the US I'd see what your local bike shop has for sale around $500. They tend to be like car dealerships in that they usually carry one or two specific brands. This shop might be a Cannondale shop, that one's a Giant shop, etc. Then you can look around on the manufacturer's website to get an idea of what they offer in your price range. If you get your heart set on a particular model some shops will even let you schedule a test ride around the neighboring streets.

You can also save a lot of money by shopping locally for used bikes through Facebook marketplace or whatever. Though that requires a bit of know-how with bikes so you don't buy a piece of junk. A friend who already knows a lot about bikes can help here. Same story for buying bikes online. There are deals to be had but you have to know what you're doing and also how to assemble a bike.

I'd avoid super cheap $100 to $200 new bikes from big box or sporting goods stores. Those sorts of bikes are basically disposable and as soon as a moving part needs service you could be on the hook for repair costs greater than what you paid for the bike. Like, they still do what bikes do. They're just not going to last very long and were probably put together by an employee that doesn't know which way is up on the handle bars.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Jun 11, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Also don't be scared of your local bike shop. Even if they're stacked to the rafters with expensive looking high end bikes I promise you don't have to be this guy to walk in there:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

depending on your city, there could be solid (offline) options for used bikes. the main local pro-bike group organizes a huge twice-yearly bike consignment sale, which is well attended and allows for you to test-ride from hundreds of bikes across a huge price and build range.

since I hadn't regularly ridden a bike since childhood I went with a mtb at first since it had a super comfy upright position and wide gear range for hills. after I got more confident I sold it and bought a vintage touring bike, which was a steal for around $250.

but like Noosphere alluded to, older bikes can be more difficult to service, and it took me a couple months to find a specific IGH part when it needed service. but I think it's fun and interesting to ride something with a bit of character, and so far don't mind the quirks for daily riding

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

There are several basic bike styles and many models to choose from, but the easiest way to start is talking with friends who ride and shopping around online. Next, find the nearest bike shops and visit them to see, feel, and try out what they’ve got in stock. Researching through friends and online means that you can be better prepared when you get there and know what you want to try out. Even if your budget only allows you to pick up a bike from a large chain retailer, visiting independent bike shops can give you a better sense of the bike landscape, and they are a good place to ask “bikey” questions. If you continue to ride regularly, chances are you’ll eventually want to upgrade your wheels, and independent bike shops are the place to do so. Bike shops can be fantastic community hubs and a great source of all kinds of bike-related information. It’s not uncommon to build a strong connection to a particular bike shop that you find welcoming.

Eric Kamphof of Toronto’s Curbside Cycle says, “My job is to link new city cyclists with that object that makes them a cyclist: their bike. So much has to do with the bike. A city has a certain pace, a beat, and a city bike rides in tune with that beat, keeping you upright, aware, and a beautiful part of the landscape. So much of the success of Paris’s Velib bike share program, or New York’s Citi bike has to do with the bike itself. Take one ride and the world just opens up. You don’t just feel safe, you feel free. That’s what a city bike does, it empowers you, it demythologizes all the fears put upon city cycling and reveals the uncomplicated joyfulness that it is.”

But how do you find a good, honest bike shop? Zack Stender, co-owner of San Francisco’s Huckleberry Bicycles, advises asking around: “A shop with a knowledgeable staff and a strong selection of bikes in the type you are looking for will do wonders for your shopping experience. Also, not all bike shop service departments are equal, so you would be well advised to patronize a shop with a reputable mechanic staff. Online reviews can be helpful but talking to other folks who ride is best. Ask other cyclists which shops they prefer, and when you visit these locations follow your gut.”

Bike shops are primarily in the business of selling and repairing bikes, and they can get ridiculously busy from spring through fall, in particular in cities with harder winters. So with that in mind, unless you have an urgent repair, try to time your visit based on your needs and their schedule. If you’re not sure what seasons or days are more busy or less busy, ask the staff. You can be pretty sure that there will be less people stopping in on a rainy day (unless, of course, you live in a very rainy city), and equally certain that the first nice spring weekend after a cold winter will be a gong-show that is best avoided. Fall is usually a great time of year to buy a bike, as many are on sale near the end of the season — the new year brings the latest models. Shops may have less selection, but they’ll be less busy.

Keep an eye open for bicycle trade shows — they’re a great chance to meet the local retailers, ask questions, see what models are going to be available for the new year, and test out different styles of bicycles all in one place. You’ll be able to place an order if you find a bike you like.

Before you actually take the plunge and pick up your ride, there are several things to consider.

Budget

What do you currently spend monthly for transportation? How often do you think you’ll ride your bike instead of taking public transit? If you’re going to be driving less and riding more, how much will you save on gas, parking, tickets, and time if you ride two, three, or five days a week in weather you’re comfortable riding in? Remember, you get what you pay for. A good bike is worth the investment. Assuming you do everything you can to keep your bike safe from theft, you’ll probably have it for several years — let’s say five years for this budgeting exercise. Add up the money you estimate you’ll save every year by riding, multiply it by five, and then divide it in half. That’s more than enough to pay for a great bike that suits your needs. You may not have this money at the ready now, but this exercise is meant to put what seems like an expensive purchase into perspective. Don’t forget to allocate a bit of money for necessary accessories like a lock.

Distance of Travel

Something for long weekend rides or just for short daily errands? If you’re commuting, how many kilometres (or miles) will you log daily? Travelling longer distances often means you’ll want a lighter bike, but you’ll also have to factor in terrain and speed:

• What’s the terrain like where you’ll be riding? Paved city streets or the nearby park trail? Mostly flat, hilly, or a bit of both? Are there many potholes in your city or are the roads well maintained?

• Are you planning to try to keep up with car traffic, move swiftly but carefully, or take a slow and steady approach? It should be noted that safely keeping up with regular fast-moving car traffic takes time and practice. Doing so with little on-street cycling experience can be bad news.

Parking and Storage

Where will you be storing and parking your bike, overnight in particular, at home and at your main destinations? Do you have access to a garage at home or secure indoor bike parking at your office? Do you live in an apartment and plan to bring your bike inside? Is there an elevator available and does your building allow bikes inside and on the elevator? Will you be leaving your bike locked up outside? If you need to carry your ride up a flight of stairs, for example, a light bike will be a priority. Trust me when I say that doing this twice daily, or more, in particular if you have a load on your bike, will take a toll on your body. If you are bringing your bike indoors and into an elevator, always remember to be conscientious of others by making space for them and keeping dirty tires away from people’s clothing and from walls.

___

The bicycles that fill our cities are as diverse and colourful as the people riding them. There are, however, some basic styles to choose from, and this list should help you discover what type of bike might work best for you.

Road Bike

Designed with speed and longer distance road travel in mind, these bikes usually have a sleek, light frame; smooth, thin tires; and position the rider so that the upper body is out front and down to reduce wind resistance. This position requires you to hold your head up and back so that you can see properly, and it can be uncomfortable for your neck and lower back. Gearing provides many speed options, allowing you to adjust to terrain and navigate steep inclines. Though road bikes are the best choice for speed, high speeds in a race position can be unsafe in busy mixed traffic. You generally want to have your head up so that you can see everything coming your way. Some people are also less comfortable with the skinny tires. That said, road bikes are a preference for confident riders for whom speed and the ability to easily cover longer distances are of highest importance.

City or Upright Bike

The European-style (or Dutch-, English-, or Italian-style) city bike is designed as a practical everyday bike for commuting and year-round use. These bikes often have a step-through frame (with a top tube that dips down), which makes getting on and off easier, and a rear rack, skirt guard, chain guard, built-in lights, a rear wheel lock, and a comfortable tall handlebar position. The rider sits in a sturdy upright position, allowing good visibility and sightlines. Some are single speed for extra simplicity on flatter terrain, while others have gears, often internal, which help with small hills. Higher-end city bikes also often have internal hub brakes, which can perform better when the weather is nasty.

Mountain Bike

With a thicker frame and wheels, knobbly tires, and a more upright riding position, this is a steed made for off-road riding on uneven terrain, whether it’s forest trails or urban roads that ride like rumble strips. This style is less efficient for urban commuting — it may handle rough roads a bit better, but the tires can slow you down on longer commutes.

Hybrid

This popular choice for city riding has a thicker, more robust frame and wheels than a road bike, providing riders with a less hunched-over position, though not quite as upright as a city bike. The tires have grip but are faster than those of a mountain bike.

Folding Bike

These nifty transformers are a fantastic option if you want to easily bring your bike indoors or onto public transit. Some are easier than others to collapse and reset, but smaller wheels don’t have too much impact on speed for regular rides across the city. There are various styles, features, and levels of functionality.

Cruiser

Primarily used for recreation, these bikes are often more stylized. With extra-thick tires and a wide, relaxed handlebar position, choose this model for relaxed weekend rides rather than daily commutes.

___

Bike Fit

A well-fitted bicycle can make a huge difference, so even if you choose to buy your first bike from a large retailer instead of a bike shop, be sure to ask for help getting the best fit. There are several factors that affect bike fit.

Frame Size

Bike frames come in various sizes, so you want to be sure to get the one that best suits your body. When you straddle the bike frame, not sitting on the seat but with it behind you and your feet on the ground, the top tube should be about 2.5 centimetres (1 inch) away from your crotch. Ideally, you should be able to stand comfortably without the frame coming into contact with your body. This measurement only matters if you’re buying a bike with a top tube, of course. There are also step-through frames, which don’t have a tube across the top and are easier to get on and off. Step-throughs usually come in a couple of different sizes suited to a range of heights.

Handlebar Height and Placement

As part of getting your bicycle fitted correctly, check the distance you have to reach when seated. Your arms should be slightly bent at the elbows and not overextended. Seats can be moved a few centimetres (or a couple of inches) back or forward if you need smaller adjustments. You also don’t want to put too much weight on your hands. Are your wrists comfortable? Although handlebar styles are generally dictated by the style of bicycle, you can swap them out for something more comfortable. When the handlebars are higher than the seat, such as on Dutch- and some commuter-style bikes, you generally have a more comfortable and relaxed ride. A seat that’s at the same height as, or slightly higher than, the handlebars puts you in more of a racing position. This is more aerodynamic, but it can also lead to neck strain. The more upright your upper body is when riding in the city the better, for your back, visibility, sightlines, and overall comfort, including your comfort in the saddle.

Seat Style and Height

Your seat can be moved in three different ways. You can move it up or down so that you’re sitting at the right height — ideally you want your knee to be slightly bent when you’ve reached the bottom of the pedal stroke while seated. A super straight leg, or overextended knee, means your seat is too high; a deep bend in your knee means it’s too low.

Seats can be shifted forward and back to move you a bit closer to or further from the handlebars.

Finally, the seat can tilt up and down. Most of your weight should rest on your sit bones. Women’s sit bones are generally further apart than men’s, which means that wider seats are often better suited to women. A poor saddle fit isn’t only uncomfortable: According to recent research findings out of Yale, too much pressure on a women’s perineum can have negative impacts on genital sensation over time — and that’s a sure way to make riding less sexy. Since similar findings exist for the impact of such seat pressure on men, we all need to keep it in mind.

Your bike will come with a standard seat/saddle, but there are other options available that may suit you better. For example, I was struggling with a kink in my neck for a while. It wasn’t until I spent a week riding around in a less bumpy city and the kink went away that I realized I needed a bike seat that could help absorb the shock of our bumpy roads. Replacing the seats on both of my bikes with new spring-loaded hard leather saddles has made riding so much more enjoyable! A good saddle is even more important if you’re doing long rides quite regularly. Riding should never be a pain in the butt.

___

Sealing the Deal: Advice Before Buying

When you’re deciding on what bike to buy, take time to test ride different styles to see what feels the best for you. Bike shops will ask you to leave collateral — generally your credit card or some form of ID. Get the seat height adjusted and then go for a ride around the block a few times. If you’re able to take it for a longer ride, even 10 minutes, you’ll get a really good feel for how you settle into the bike. A longer ride is definitely recommended once you’ve narrowed down the bikes you’re considering. Bring a friend if you’re nervous.

On your test ride be sure to

•try the gears to see how they work and feel,
•test the brakes carefully,
•make a few turns in both directions,
•practise getting on and off the bike.

You should also take note of how your body feels when you’re riding — is your back straight, are the handlebars too close or far, is the seat comfortable and at the right height? Once you’ve settled on a bike, be sure to ask for details about the warranty at the shop you’re buying it from. The shop may include free tune-ups for a year or more as a purchase incentive and welcome you back after a week or two of riding your new bike so that any adjustments can be made — tightening up loose bits, adjusting the height of your handlebars, or shifting your seat for greater comfort.

___

Used Bikes

Used bikes can be a great option if you have limited funds, want to reduce your environmental footprint, or are just flirting with urban cycling. As with new bikes, you want to check the bike fit. Do your research at local bike shops about the shape, style, and frame size that is best suited to your body and riding goals before heading out to look for a second-hand bike.

When you do find a bike that might be right for you, you’ll want to give it a good once-over. Don’t buy it if

• there are bends in the dropouts (the point where the wheels are attached to the frame);
• the seat post has become fused in place and can’t move up or down;
• there are any big dents or cracks in the frame;
• any of the welds where the various parts of the bike are joined are cracked or unstable;
• the bottom bracket (where the pedal arms meet at the frame) is rattling or loose.

If the frame and key components are in good shape, you can repair or replace wheels that are out of true (bent), brakes or tires that are worn down, or a seat that is cracked. If you’re able, it’s often helpful to bring along a friend, bike savvy or not, when shopping for a bike, new or used.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Giant is great bang for your buck and their commuter line, the Escape, is available with whatever you want (disc or rim brakes, a rack, fenders) for anywhere from $550 to $900.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
boke

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
One of my coworkers asked about getting a bike off craigslist or Facebook marketplace place and I'm going to send him that explanation. I had already recommended the going to a bike shop and talking, trying stuff out, getting the right size even if he walks out without buying, but the rest of that info is great

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
in the true spirit of America today im driving to a trail that used to be a railway to ride my bike on it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
all we had to do was blow up the bridges wacky

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

just get something like one of the following:

Kona Dew
Trek FX
Cannondale Quick
Specialized Sirrus
Jamis Coda
etc...

They are "commuter" style bikes, they are fast and zippy, light, easy to ride, and you can bolt all sorts of fenders/racks/aerodynamic fairings to them

I got the Sirrus X 2.0 as my first bike since being a teenager. It's been great, extremely reliable and has all the fixings for bolting poo poo to it. Would recommend, and I went 30 miles on it the other day over gravel and dirt and some sand, and it made it all the way with no issues and a picnic tied to the back.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

thread crossover

one weird trick

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mauser posted:

Still very disconcerting to look at an opaque box coming towards you and not have any idea how to react because I can't see a human anywhere in there.

super tinted windows is one of those red flags warning you that the driver inside has a greatly elevated risk of being terminally carbrained

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

silicone thrills posted:

This is super common around seattle. a ton of delivery folks use the center lane on 3 lane roads to stop and unload.

Why do they do that? I've never seen that in Chicago

For bikes I always went to a local refurb/rehab place for used lovely bikes and would get one for like $100. They were often heavy but the only way to know if you meshed well with a type of handlebar, or actually really do need a fender, or whatever is to get out there and ride on something. And since I locked my bike outside it would often get hosed with or risk being stolen , so going cheap made sense. Still have a beater right now. It's fine. But my next one should probably be a recumbent which is gonna be a whole drat thing

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Jun 11, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

trevorreznik posted:

Why do they do that? I've never seen that in Chicago

No parking lot, no loading dock, no space to stop on the side, etc. Sometimes the center lane blocks the least amount of traffic especially on streets with buslines and stuff. Its a courtesy.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

most major seattle streets are weirdly wide and have poor lane markings too. is it two lanes with parking? four? three with a center turn lane? it’s whatever you think you can get away with!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Sharps posted:

most major seattle streets are weirdly wide and have poor lane markings too. is it two lanes with parking? four? three with a center turn lane? it’s whatever you think you can get away with!

Which streets are you talking about? Anytime I am in Seattle proper everything always is tight and narrow especially when people use 1 lane to park.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

pike and pine up past 12th, melrose in large segments, mercer through lower qa, 45th especially past the zoo, lotta former streetcar lines

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
all along roosevelt and 15th ave nw and ne as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i-95 collapsed in both directions in philly. the age of the car is not long for this world

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yellowstone is basically one of those drive through safari parks at this point. I'm glad people get to experience it but it's so depressing

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Real hurthling! posted:

i-95 collapsed in both directions in philly. the age of the car is not long for this world

The age of the car is over. The time of the pedestrian is at hand.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wonder if purposefully damaging roads would end up getting someone charged for terrorism. Just like a very theoretical question.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

silicone thrills posted:

I wonder if purposefully damaging roads would end up getting someone charged for terrorism. Just like a very theoretical question.

I've considered making inverted speed bumps in my road

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gunshow Poophole posted:

in the true spirit of America today im driving to a trail that used to be a railway to ride my bike on it

There's plenty of rail trails near where I live, and as of late one of them is even being converted back into a railroad! The rare rail-to-trail-to-rail.

Re: bike chat, the bicycle that I've had for over 15 years is one that was abandoned in a park while I was doing landscaping for the town. We held onto it for a month, I asked my boss if I could take it home and he said yes, and I've had no problems with it ever since. The last time I took it in for a tune-up the mechanic said he'd give me $500 for it if I was ever looking to get rid of it. I love rich towns.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

super tinted windows is one of those red flags warning you that the driver inside has a greatly elevated risk of being terminally carbrained

Or maybe it’s just a POC that doesn’t want to get racially profiled by the police

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

silicone thrills posted:

Maybe? Usually terrorism charges get slapped onto charges against environmentalists and water protectors for blocking roads and hindering oil and gas. I've never heard of it applied to pedestrian advocates. Sounds like a vandalism charge, but you'd need to do it in front of a camera or something.

The most effective inadvertent anarchist pedestrian action I've witnessed is a roofer's truck that lost a box of nails on the highway.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

I was walking around montlake on a public road off Boyer with some really nice houses around.

someone had dragged their trash cans into the middle of the road, leaving enough space for a single car to drive through slowly, and put cutout cardboard children along the road, with signs saying "children at play" and "this isn't montlake Blvd -- slow down." and then at the end of all that a sign saying "CAUTION: SPIKE STRIP AHEAD."

there were no spikes. not sure you're allowed to do that on a public road lmao. hope an ambulance doesn't need to get by.

probably someone living in the $700 million houses there

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

silicone thrills posted:

The arch conservative government in Alberta introduced a law with all sorts of higher penalties for damaging "critical infrastructure", a term it left vague but meant pipelines, trains with oil in them, and maybe roads if we don't like you.

Then in the greatest of ironies the first group it actually was compelled to use that against were covid deniers blocking the border crossings.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Maybe? Usually terrorism charges get slapped onto charges against environmentalists and water protectors for blocking roads and hindering oil and gas. I've never heard of it applied to pedestrian advocates. Sounds like a vandalism charge, but you'd need to do it in front of a camera or something.

The most effective inadvertent anarchist pedestrian action I've witnessed is a roofer's truck that lost a box of nails on the highway.

yeah that was kind of my thought around it is that if it is VIEWED as a pro environmental action it would get slapped with terrorism against "vital infra" but otherwise it would probably end up just being hit with defacing public property or something along those lines.

I mean people just utterly wreck infra constantly with no real consequences like the lunatics who hit all the signs and poo poo in my neighborhood but they're just drunk and or inattentive so it aint tho thang.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

there's a lot of good bike stores around where you live that its probably worth checking out, like mikes. those bike nerds at all the shops are super cool + knowledgeable and will hook you right up with what you want. i got my trek fx 7.2 there for like $400 back in 2016. plus its best to try em in person than ordering online

like do you want a commuter, hybrid, fancy mountain bike?

marin bikes are the go-to right now for sort of affordable entry-level pretty good builds. https://www.marinbikes.com/, e.g. fairfax or presidio models

i went to cycle works yesterday and the guy pitched me on a Giant Escape 2 hybrid for $750 which looked pretty nice. i walk by the mike's every week or two days but haven't been in yet.

I'm looking for something primarily to ride to work and for errands and also for fun/fitness. im not ready to go full pfc.

if pfc recommends giant then that's probably good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

most folks I know in Seattle have had their bikes stolen multiple times. I can't imagine dropping more than like $400-500. I just walk cause I'm scared of getting run over.

when I lived along Burke Gilman and limebikes were reasonably priced thanks to competition and low interest rates I would use those quite often. it was nice not to worry about leaving the bike somewhere and being able to return by bus, walking etc.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the only thing that determines whether an act of sabotage or other action is treated with a slap on the wrist vs a scorched earth response is whether or not the intention behind the act is a serious threat to authority. if you sabotage a road with an ecological motivation then the government is for sure throwing you in jail. the american and canadian governments were hands-off with the chud covid anti-lockdown and antivaxx people because they aren't actually a threat to the capitalist state (until it dragged on long enough that further inaction would have started to undermine state legitimacy)