Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
lol not for Manon command grab. You get a full punish if you jump that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

This is only true for normal throws, but you might have missed the previous posts are about command throws.

If you neutral jump a command throw, the recovery frames are too long for them to smack you out of the air. You will get a punish counter into whatever combo you want.

Natural 20 posted:

lol not for Manon command grab. You get a full punish if you jump that.

Ah yes, my bad.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah manon just stands there for a minute like "merde alors que vais-je faire maintenant oh non putain" and gets blown the gently caress up

e: but next time she can sidle up to them on the ground like she's gonna toss em and anti air instead lmao

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 11, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's a real rock-paper-scissors for her, though, because if she does her high kick special instead then you're in perfect position to get blown up by that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
give manon an air grab

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I need to work on my execution issues, not even the wacky advanced combo trials but simply grinding in the basic jab punish labeled "Very Easy" on supercombo... I don't feel like I have something down until I can do it 5 times in a row and it took me like 2 hours to get that one lol.

Coming from Tekken, the constant motion inputs, and especially canceling into them from buttons, still feels weird to me! Looking at the command history, I always see that like my default timing is like "oh you pressed the button one frame before the motion was fully horizontal, the move will not come out" lol, and then when I consciously try to slow down I end up missing the window to cancel.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Al! posted:

give manon an air grab

For some reason they gave JP an air grab. I've never seen anyone use it though, probably because they don't know it exists or forgot.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I need to work on my execution issues, not even the wacky advanced combo trials but simply grinding in the basic jab punish labeled "Very Easy" on supercombo... I don't feel like I have something down until I can do it 5 times in a row and it took me like 2 hours to get that one lol.

Coming from Tekken, the constant motion inputs, and especially canceling into them from buttons, still feels weird to me! Looking at the command history, I always see that like my default timing is like "oh you pressed the button one frame before the motion was fully horizontal, the move will not come out" lol, and then when I consciously try to slow down I end up missing the window to cancel.

I might be hallucinating but I believe the trials allow you to slow the game down to 50% to try the combos?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

I might be hallucinating but I believe the trials allow you to slow the game down to 50% to try the combos?

I'm pretty sure it's in training mode yeah. Honestly I've never felt like that helps me too much unless I'm very confused as to where a cancel window is, but if you're having trouble combining the motions + the buttons then I can definitely see how it would be helpful

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Honda succeeds mostly with the basics

like,
-cr. /LKLP, cr. LP, LP hands or MP headbutt
-st. MP, cr.LP, LP hands or MP headbutt
-cr. MK, LP~MP, Headbutt
off a punish counter DI: HK(1 hit) sumo stance launch, Buttslam, or launch then DR HP, HP Hands or sumo stance slaps

of course you can get elaborate as you want, but those basics will get you far.

Or just do this stupid thing I came up with

https://twitter.com/Rooflemonger/status/1665908846299160577

Made it to gold following this lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Medullah posted:

I dunno if any of you are olds like me with short term memories but I find myself unable to remember all the various Super inputs for characters I don't play often, so I found a website with them all listed and cropped it to a PDF if anyone else wants it

Printing out a goddam FAQ like it's 1995 and I'm just got the goods from a local BBS.

the input my formatting on this made me recoil in disgust.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

KidDynamite posted:

the input my formatting on this made me recoil in disgust.

I should clarify I just cut and pasted from a random Google search.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
kimberly's anti air options kind of stink.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I played a ton of battle hub games as random with friends last night and decided I really liked Jamie afterwards. After being stuck in Iron on Manon for like I week I did placements on him and landed in Gold 2 lol

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

This is a good "I don't want to think about it" strategy but it's more efficient to get their preferred gift, which is ironically often something they hate. Poor Cammy choking down all those Jellied Eels in the name of the Queen.

Looks like it actually varies per character, but at least for some characters, the prepaid cards give 2 points each which makes them a better deal than their preferred gifts.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Beating bad JPs with my bad Zangief is a lot of fun.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Relevant to the discussion up thread about getting thrown out of your command grab:
https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/1667745876461191169

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I cannot parse what is going on in that video.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Natural 20 posted:

I cannot parse what is going on in that video.

https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/1667760645914198018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is good news

for zangief

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has someone perfect parried every hit of Chun's super yet?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Only have JP to master in world tour and then I've mastered everyone. There's one sidequest left with some fighters to clear and then I think I'm done with it. Super enjoyable experience that I will push on my partner to see if I can get the fighting game bug to bite her.

Playing other styles to level them up was a great way to get exposed to characters I'd never have considered playing. Out of the roster I'm torn between "maining" Marisa, Honda, Dhalsim, Gief and... Guile??? I found something quite zen about his limited moveset and counterplay style that just instantly clicked and now I'm going to a sonic boom-filled hell. Jamie, Luke and Ken (who I've always hated) were also very fun to fool around with - I can see why Ken is popular thanks to his new dash.

Probably the most interesting character is Chun-Li with her stance, the cancels with that make me excited to see what insane combos people come up with down the line.

Street Fighter rules, FGC rules and sorry for splurging about world tour so much. :)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

World Tour is neat if not repetitive and the story is completely throwaway but there’s plenty to keep busy with and they really went hard on this silly mode that probably didn’t need to be in here.

I would never recommend the game based on it alone but it’s a nice way to gently caress with different styles and dress up your goofball

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Its a cleverly designed practice mode. You’re doing a lot of quick fights against different styles and difficulties and you’re encouraged with rewards. Brilliant for newbs like me.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

man nurse posted:

World Tour is neat if not repetitive and the story is completely throwaway but there’s plenty to keep busy with and they really went hard on this silly mode that probably didn’t need to be in here.

I would never recommend the game based on it alone but it’s a nice way to gently caress with different styles and dress up your goofball

I enjoyed the little bits of lore we got about characters along the way to maxing out their styles and bonds. Stuff like teaching Ryu to text as he teaches you his style ("the answer lies... In the heart of the internet") or learning that Zangief reads hundreds of books a year because the brain is a muscle that also needs exercising, it's all good poo poo that gives these goofballs a bit of depth beyond slapping each other around all the time. It's not for everyone but I appreciate the effort. :)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Jack Trades posted:

Has someone perfect parried every hit of Chun's super yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/146xp28/lets_go_justiin_this_took_way_too_long_to_do/

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wonder if theres gonna be a Rashid trailer tomorrow. Pretty curious about that dude

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 12, 2023

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

man nurse posted:

it's a little undercooked but I liked the edutainment stuff where they teach you the game mechanics through minigames, side missions etc. i beat the main story + unlocked the alt costumes and i'm probably not going to touch it again though

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

world tour's biggest problem is that the EXP curve just abruptly halts at around level 55 or so, requiring either specialized grinding at NPCs that reward bonus EXP for specific combat objectives or cheesing the fighters with items/masters summons if you don't want them to feel monumentally unfair

it's probably entirely doable at level 60-ish if you're a street fighter expert but, like, i cannot imagine someone who was born playing SF in the womb has that much interest in completing a singleplayer yakuzer where 90% of the content is pretty simple beat-'em-up gameplay

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Wrong. Biggest problem is the fridges

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Maaan people in Gold have good fundamentals, I don't stand a chance hahaha

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

"Many people are saying I'm the best Street Fighter. I actually won that last match, it was rigged against me. Bison is fake news"

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Where are people going to grind post-game XP and style? Looks like I've only got the fighters quest to go and my level is in the early 60's and aside from the fighters and going back to the Nayshall stadium over and over there doesn't seem to be and good way to get XP.

I also wasted a whole bunch of style points by staying in Ryu without realising transferring style points was on a 3:1 basis :negative:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Okay good it’s all bullshit I don’t care about

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1668060676475027456?s=20

Huge sigh of relief with a mysterious swirl of disappointment that there appears to be nothing in the premium battle pass i would ever consider spending money on for even a fraction of a second

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

There's got to be like a ton of the drive tickets you need to unlock costume one alternative colors in the premium tier because otherwise there's nothing of note in that pass.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

seems like they're doing the smart thing, which is decoupling character costumes from battle passes beyond the pass giving you more tickets to accelerate the process of getting an alternate costume/color scheme

it effectively turns it into a bit of a premium addon if you're just looking to get costume X for character Y: you spend a bit more cash to get the tickets faster, but you also then get some alright cosmetic rewards to go along with it

adamantium|wang posted:

Where are people going to grind post-game XP and style?

running rounds around the final area during the day/night and fighting everything there, including NPCs, is probably the "best" way to do it if you're just looking to mindlessly pound it out. there's specific NPCs in the world who also seem to be meant specifically for post-game grinding with a bunch of bonus EXP from objectives, with the two that i've found so far being retsu (after you interact with him enough throughout the world, he'll park himself at genbu and can be refought over and over) and a dude at the nayshall night docks with the rest of the trainees who gives a boatload. the NPCs have a fairly long fight respawn timer, though, and i'm not sure if there's anything you can do to circumvent it or if they're just something you do inbetween grinding sessions

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 12, 2023

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Man this game is great. It's the first Street Fighter for me so everything is very new, but they managed to make a game that is incredible fun to learn. Only low silver so far, but every improvement feels good, like getting DPs down to the point that I can actually anti air someone from time to time!

It's also great to sit there playing a match, blocking your opponents super and thinking to yourself: "Ok, time to do the nice combo into super you learned for just this moment! LETS GOOOOOOO!" And then you watch yourself do either A) throw punish, or the much more frequent B) uncancellable heavy kick into cancel attempt into standing there serenely while the incoming drive impact collides with your face.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My favorite is dropping all the combos you've practiced a bunch in training mode lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

teagone posted:

My favorite is dropping all the combos you've practiced a bunch in training mode lol.

Step 1 is remembering to do them at all, step 2 is not dropping them, so you're halfway there already.