Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I have an e-bike in Sydney and use komoot as a route finder, here's its map of existing bike paths and optimal streets avoiding cars:
https://www.komoot.com/plan/@-33.9029523,151.1033633,11.151z?sport=e_touringbicycle
open Maps; hit More Maps; select Open Cycle Map
It's a bit fiddly to get going but works.

There is a cyclist surveyor who made and maintains a cycling map of Sydney highlighting proper paths, minimal car traffic, minimal hills. Here's the facebook group and here's the blog. You should go advocate with this group and see what's already been done.

edit: ugh probably the unsexiest possible :69snypa:

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

clusterfuck posted:

There is a cyclist surveyor who made and maintains a cycling map of Sydney highlighting proper paths, minimal car traffic, minimal hills. Here's the facebook group and here's the blog.

Is there something like this for Melbourne?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Recoome appears to be a class traitor who climbed the corporate consulting ladder and is now pulling it up behind him by denying the proletariat mobility because he thinks everyone can just get an uber or a sea plane or something.

He makes vague platitudes about "housing" in a vain attempt to sound like an ally, without so much a poorly-drawn sketch of what that might even look like.

The upshot of his arguments is ultimately helping them, right? Sure as hell not helping the disadvantaged who need to get to school or work, or heaven forbid engage in a bit of recreation

Make sure you use those exact insults when the premier asks why they should fund more infrastructure for Sydney over social housing.

You didn't address the excellent points raised by trunkh so I think you should go back to the drawing board with the pitch here lest you melt down spectacularly in front of the premier (lmao).

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Comstar posted:

Is there something like this for Melbourne?

Dunno but probably, that blog has an Other Places tab with this for Victoria

And Komoot has this.
(open Maps; hit More Maps; select Open Cycle Map)

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 9, 2023

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

clusterfuck posted:

I have an e-bike in Sydney and use komoot as a route finder, here's its map of existing bike paths and optimal streets avoiding cars:
https://www.komoot.com/plan/@-33.9029523,151.1033633,11.151z?sport=e_touringbicycle

There is a cyclist surveyor who made and maintains a cycling map of Sydney highlighting proper paths, minimal car traffic, minimal hills. Here's the facebook group and here's the blog. You should go advocate with this group and see what's already been done.

The key thing is that sane people build momentum for change by organising with other people who would benefit from change and creating an advocacy group demonstrating a wide base of support at the community level. Nutbags take their tinfoil hat, map drawn with crayons and copy of Das Kapital and insist on a meeting with the Premier to explain how their one single solution will solve every major problem, including class struggle, at almost no cost and time. From experience in government I recommend taking a plan for a perpetual motion machine with you to complete the picture. Maybe also a chart demonstrating Australia/the world being overpopulated and that being the main problem about everything. When they ask what you are actually recommending to do about the latter wiggle your eyebrows and make little shooting motions with your fingers (don’t mention sterilisation of the developing world or genocide, noob error, save that for the third meeting).

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

The key thing is that sane people build momentum for change by organising with other people who would benefit from change and creating an advocacy group demonstrating a wide base of support at the community level. Nutbags take their tinfoil hat, map drawn with crayons and copy of Das Kapital and insist on a meeting with the Premier to explain how their one single solution will solve every major problem, including class struggle, at almost no cost and time. From experience in government I recommend taking a plan for a perpetual motion machine with you to complete the picture. Maybe also a chart demonstrating Australia/the world being overpopulated and that being the main problem about everything. When they ask what you are actually recommending to do about the latter wiggle your eyebrows and make little shooting motions with your fingers (don’t mention sterilisation of the developing world or genocide, noob error, save that for the third meeting).

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

You joke but this is how Qatar got that stadium.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Animal Friend posted:

You joke but this is how Qatar got that stadium.

They resurrected Hitler and had him look at the plans?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If only they had green paint, just look at what could have been! So much extra lebensraum

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

who is this man they call bucky

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Blamestorm posted:

Change tends to be kinda dull. Like I love transformative infrastructure works as much as the next urban planning nerd, but I suspect the most impact I've ever had has been from attending and contributing to workshops and community consultations run by my local council.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

can we get bucky his own thread

and keep this for, I dunno, anything goddamn else

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

the refugee garbage city ideas guru, formerly known as Hobo Erotica.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

So are we gonna have a recession or what

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
posting on page 69

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Bucky asked for comments and he got them. Some might even be useful.

These ones bitching about are the same complaints he’ll see elsewhere. Good for him to see them and recognize them next time.

poo poo heads. That’s who he’s fighting against. Good luck Bucky.

I just wanted you to know. We’re all counting on you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

webmeister posted:

If only they had green paint, just look at what could have been! So much extra lebensraum

Eric Albetz is getting homesick

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Riding through the city streets, the wind against my face,
Pedaling on these bike paths, at a steady pace,
Sydney's waking up, the sun begins to rise,
On my two-wheeled machine, I feel so alive.

Oh, bike paths of Sydney, where freedom finds its way,
Weaving through the neighbourhoods, with every turn we sway,
From the beaches to the city lights, we ride with no dismay,
Oh, bike paths of Sydney, guiding us along our way.

Cruising 'round the harbour, with the water by my side,
The bridge above me, as I pedal with pride,
Through the bustling streets, I find my own retreat,
On these bike paths, where the city and nature meet.

In the morning light, we gather our strength,
Riding through the parks, exploring the full length,
Through the green spaces, under the shining sun,
These bike paths of Sydney, our journey's just begun.

As the day goes on, the city comes alive,
On our bicycles, we strive to thrive,
Navigating through the traffic, with caution and with care,
These bike paths bring us closer, a community we share.

So let the wheels keep turning, as we explore this town,
With the wind in our hair, and the sun shining down,
On these bike paths of Sydney, we'll continue to roam,
For the joy of cycling, in this city we call home.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuHXTG3uyY

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

"For twelve years, you have been asking..."

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

a strange fowl posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Bucky Fulminster? This is Bucky Fulminster speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his word count or his green crayon. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you." The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to his computer and struggled frantically with the scroll-wheel. But the screen remained full of :words:; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his text filled the forum posts of the country-of the world, thought the chief engineer-reading as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man (the Premier); it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.

"You have heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis. You have said it yourself, half in fear, half in hope that the words had no meaning. You have cried that man's sins are destroying the world and you have cursed human nature for its unwillingness to practice the virtues you demanded. Since virtue, to you, consists of sacrifice, you have demanded more sacrifices at every successive disaster. In the name of a return to morality, you have sacrificed all those evils which you held as the cause of your plight. You have sacrificed justice to mercy. You have sacrificed suffragettes to public housing. You have sacrificed reason to Q Anon. You have sacrificed wealth to need. You have sacrificed self-esteem to self-denial. You have sacrificed happiness to duty.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
drat I was hoping that'd be a page snipe

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

sick of Applebees posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Bucky Fulminster? This is Bucky Fulminster speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his word count or his green crayon. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you." The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to his computer and struggled frantically with the scroll-wheel. But the screen remained full of :words:; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his text filled the forum posts of the country-of the world, thought the chief engineer-reading as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man (the Premier); it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.

"You have heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis. You have said it yourself, half in fear, half in hope that the words had no meaning. You have cried that man's sins are destroying the world and you have cursed human nature for its unwillingness to practice the virtues you demanded. Since virtue, to you, consists of sacrifice, you have demanded more sacrifices at every successive disaster. In the name of a return to morality, you have sacrificed all those evils which you held as the cause of your plight. You have sacrificed justice to mercy. You have sacrificed suffragettes to public housing. You have sacrificed reason to Q Anon. You have sacrificed wealth to need. You have sacrificed self-esteem to self-denial. You have sacrificed happiness to duty.

Liar, if you were really Bucky that post would have been 10x longer.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

Just a guy with some ideas to debate and/or discuss, and a tragic but remarkable knack for annoying people

clusterfuck posted:

Was a perfectly sexy snipe. I'm familiar with that guy but hadn't used Komoot, looks cool cheers.

The problem still remains, that the perception of cycling is that it's not viable because of the disjointed nature of the network. The best way to change that is with a top-down whizz-bang SuperHighway that people can count on to ride anywhere in complete safety and comfort. And delivering that would really not be too difficult.

And in the meantime we'll get to work on the bottom-up approach too, since no issues with the plan itself have been identified, thanks all.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

The problem still remains, that the perception of cycling is that it's not viable because of the disjointed nature of the network. The best way to change that is with a top-down whizz-bang SuperHighway that people can count on to ride anywhere in complete safety and comfort. And delivering that would really not be too difficult.

I actually agree with this - there's heaps of places I wouldn't ride to because the main cycle path fizzles out partway. While I'm a confident cyclist, I'm still not keen to deviate from riding on a familiar protected bike path to navigating through a suburb I'm unfamiliar with or having to handle major roads, particularly at night.

However, it's a hard sell and the benefits are non-obvious unless you already cycle and have had to deal with the confusion of paths that aren't continuous.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ChatGPT poems always remind me of that poem Gina Rinehart wrote and put on a boulder outside a shopping centre

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That was a turd.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

froglet posted:

I actually agree with this - there's heaps of places I wouldn't ride to because the main cycle path fizzles out partway. While I'm a confident cyclist, I'm still not keen to deviate from riding on a familiar protected bike path to navigating through a suburb I'm unfamiliar with or having to handle major roads, particularly at night.

However, it's a hard sell and the benefits are non-obvious unless you already cycle and have had to deal with the confusion of paths that aren't continuous.

This is an unnaturally tough crowd, it's definitely not as hard outside of here. 70% already there yadda yadda yadda.

And hey I'll even throw in free fixes for flat tyres at the red/yellow dots.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bucky I refuse to believe you’ve actually spitballed this will real live humans.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

This is an unnaturally tough crowd, it's definitely not as hard outside of here. 70% already there yadda yadda yadda.

And hey I'll even throw in free fixes for flat tyres at the red/yellow dots.

Yeah, no poo poo it's not as hard out there where people are reflexively polite to someone ranting to them about poo poo. They're probably invested in you as a person if they know you.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Recoome posted:

Bucky I refuse to believe you’ve actually spitballed this will real live humans.

"With" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

I guarantee he has talked "at" a lot of people about his genius and unique idea.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

good chat guys thanks.

Didn't mean to exclude Penrith btw, it just didn't fit on the map at the right resolution.

SuperHighway already exists, just needs to be designated and advertised as such.

Still keen to hear any ideas on how to improve mobility.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Phew, I sure am glad it is one bad actor and not any systemic or structural problems that need to be address. Thanks Sunday Times.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Whats on that burger?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Katy denies Parly lies

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Whats on that burger?

Sprinkled with avocado dust.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Where else but the Sunday Times can you get investment tips & foot fetish material in the one place?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://men.wikifeet.com/Scott_Pape

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
unequivocally no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again