Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Is this just an US thing where architects seem to actively hate people, as that's incredibly stupid and I've never see it before.
What, fake drawers below a sink? I think they're in every cabinet with a sink. Although my parents have a tilt down panel instead of the drawer where they can keep their spare dish sponges. I've seen some bathroom sinks at IKEA that have kind of a half-depth drawer that nestles up against the front of the sink, but it's the exception and not the rule.

If you mean the 90° sink in a straight countertop: yeah, no, that's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

dr_rat posted:

Is this just an US thing where architects seem to actively hate people, as that's incredibly stupid and I've never see it before.

Architects don’t design cabinetry.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

This is 100% a builder trying to build a house as quickly and cheaply as possible finding out that the local big box stores are out of stock on the regular sinks. He’s not gonna let that mess up his schedule as the plumber needs to move on to the next house, so weird corner sink it is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll bet the plumber arrived later and was annoyed on principle.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

a prep area... for ants!

Nah, I don’t cook with ants, they give me heartburn.

with apologies to Chico Marx

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm tired of these Batmen, their Indy's.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If it's any consolation, Batman isn't the headline in the movie he's in.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Android Apocalypse posted:

If it's any consolation, Batman isn't the headline in the movie he's in.

I think the Flash has a cameo in the new Batman movie, or something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That one who allegedly kidnaps women? Wonder why they'd let him costar in a Batman movie

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scratch Monkey posted:

This is 100% a builder trying to build a house as quickly and cheaply as possible finding out that the local big box stores are out of stock on the regular sinks. He’s not gonna let that mess up his schedule as the plumber needs to move on to the next house, so weird corner sink it is.

I mean, probably not. The "builder" doing the house is rarely the contractor doing the cabinetry. And the cabinetry sub-contractor cuts all this stuff well ahead of time at their workshop. That sink was 100% planned ahead of time by the homeowners.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Nothing like a sink guaranteed to spray water all over the counter, unless you are meticulous at turning it off and on when swapping between the tiny sinks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JGdmn posted:

Architects don’t design cabinetry.

Ones that aren't lazy rear end deadbeats do. :colbert:

Hirayuki posted:

What, fake drawers below a sink? I think they're in every cabinet with a sink. Although my parents have a tilt down panel instead of the drawer where they can keep their spare dish sponges. I've seen some bathroom sinks at IKEA that have kind of a half-depth drawer that nestles up against the front of the sink, but it's the exception and not the rule.

Like I've traveled to plenty of countries and never seen that, it's always just been something like this:

Large draw space with the plumbing at the back. While looking for that image I did come across quite a few of the fake draws that people are talking about, but they do all seem to be from US sites. Also found a reddit thread where people from Britain were also talking about them. As far as I can tell though thankfully this stupidity seems to be contained to those two countries.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Canada too, homie.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

A lot of contractors are loving degenerates and the builders ain't much better

I'm a picture framer and so many people have just godawful taste lol

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Ones that aren't lazy rear end deadbeats do. :colbert:

Like I've traveled to plenty of countries and never seen that, it's always just been something like this:

Large draw space with the plumbing at the back. While looking for that image I did come across quite a few of the fake draws that people are talking about, but they do all seem to be from US sites. Also found a reddit thread where people from Britain were also talking about them. As far as I can tell though thankfully this stupidity seems to be contained to those two countries.

What makes them dumb? It doesn't seem to eat into storage space under the sink, and it can give a more consistent appearance when put next to the other drawers and cabinets in your kitchen. Like, if you want to poo poo on the US, there's lots of options available. You don't need to reach this hard.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have always hated the fake drawers. Feel free to make fun of America for them. However yes it is probably not top 1,000

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This thread gets the weirdest derails.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

madmatt112 posted:

Canada too, homie.
Canada is dead to me now.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

What makes them dumb? It doesn't seem to eat into storage space under the sink, and it can give a more consistent appearance when put next to the other drawers and cabinets in your kitchen. Like, if you want to poo poo on the US, there's lots of options available. You don't need to reach this hard.

Fake draws like fake pockets in my opinion is just flat out trash design. There's plenty of room for aesthetics, and sometime it is nice to have form over function, but like there is just so many other options you could chose.

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p06Fb65gyBE

Like it's not that hard to design poo poo so it isn't intentionally confusing but still aesthetically pleasing. like I'm honestly surprised there is anyone defending this garbage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm a picture framer and so many people have just godawful taste lol

I can forgive individuals having bad taste but a professional? That's just unforgiveable

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Poops Mcgoots posted:

What makes them dumb is that you now have a 3/4 height cupboard door that doesn't match all your full height cupboard doors.
Unless you are some kind of psychopath that has a single drawer above every cupboard

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

norp posted:

What makes them dumb is that you now have a 3/4 height cupboard door that doesn't match all your full height cupboard doors.
Unless you are some kind of psychopath that has a single drawer above every cupboard

The reason that they mount panels (sometimes with knobs mounted so that they look like drawers) over the sink base cabinet is because here, in North America, it is standard to have drawers over the base cabinet.

Also, you have a sink basin blocking the top 4-6 inches of the cabinet it's mounted into.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Sink chat is super cursed

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

Sink chat is super cursed

Agreed, and it's late, too - last day of sink chat season is always May 5th.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Large draw space with the plumbing at the back.
Where's the "draw" in this image? It's all cabinet. This is functionally identical to the North American style.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

dr_rat posted:

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p06Fb65gyBE

Like it's not that hard to design poo poo so it isn't intentionally confusing but still aesthetically pleasing. like I'm honestly surprised there is anyone defending this garbage.

The Design of Everyday Things: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Don-Norman/dp/0465050654

This is the most cursed book ever written, right after the book that teaches you how to spot bad keming, and for the same reason.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I had to read that book in university and now I hate every stove top

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I had to read that book in university and now I hate every stove top

I don't look forward to replacing mine since pretty much every one for sale now is horrible beyond belief. Temperature controlled by 12+ button presses for something that could be done with one knob (and I have to reach across the hot burners to get to it), incomprehensible timer controls (again for something that needed one knob), burner dials in illogical positions and frequently without any numbers or even hashmarks (and some that are electronic buttons in the range top???).

I haven't read the book, and now I'm afraid to because I already hate the designs of most things.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

norp posted:

Unbelievably common to have a drawer over every base cabinet, and very convenient. So yeah, the sink cabinet is designed to match the others. You're all tilting at windmills, and it's getting increasingly bizarre to watch.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I legitimately can't recall ever being in a kitchen that didn't have drawers over almost every cupboard, with the only exception being corner cabinets with folding doors and lazy susans

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I haven't read the book, and now I'm afraid to because I already hate the designs of most things.

Oh, you'll hate basically every thing designed in the last decade, and the designers who made them especially. The book has been incredibly influential, highly acclaimed, and studiously ignored.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

norp posted:

Let’s see your kitchen cabinets.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I showed mine you cowards

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Antigravitas posted:

The Design of Everyday Things: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Don-Norman/dp/0465050654

This is the most cursed book ever written, right after the book that teaches you how to spot bad keming, and for the same reason.

It probably won an award.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
What's the curse about the book?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

What's the curse about the book?

Once you read it you'll start seeing bad design everywhere.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You'll see it everywhere, you'll know how to do it better, how easy it would be to do better, and you can't unlearn this knowledge.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://archive.org/details/gooncon2k2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019