Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diablo II still remains my favorite of the stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

the campaign was cool actually as is the rest of Diablo IV mostly

Same. I wasn't really hot on D4 at the beginning but after getting to 50/WT3, the most balanced take imho is "good launch, good structure, needs more content" - if you're an arpg brainrotted player. If you're a casual player it's a legit good game.
We knew it would've launched too soon but I think the project leads struck a good balance.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Clocks posted:

imagine being mad that people are suggesting D4 can learn from the other popular arpg on the market
Sounds less like suggesting and more like whining that D4 isn't PoE. If you like PoE then go play that.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

You should go play the absolutely dreadful path of exile game and quit seething in this thread to be sure

I was answering someone else's question you jackass.

As for your statement, I absolutely will play the next league in August, and I don't think it's a far fetched statement to say the next league will also be PoE's biggest league, again. Crucible while being a weak league for many in the playerbase was still the largest league with some of the longest retention rate because of the people who played D4 beta and wanted to try other games in the genre. I expect that will only continue now that people have got their hands on D4.

How Blizzard handles seasons will be crucial to the longevity of the game for many.

Also, I'm not making GBS threads on D4 for the sake of making GBS threads on the game. My criticisms are because I want the game to do well. I'd like to have it where there are many options in the ARPG genre with seasonal content that is solid. Last Epoch, Torchlight Infinite, D4, PoE, all of these can co-exist and have great seasonal content, but for being the largest company with the most resources, D4 is sorely lagging behind the competition.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The characters are uneven and not great but actually the campaign has some great setpieces and moments, better than any previous game. Mephisto is enjoyable every time he shows up and we can look forward to more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Miftan posted:

What really blows my mind is that they had all this time and the story is absolute garbage. Makes zero sense, provides world building that doesn't gel with previous world building, the characters are all stupid caricatures and Lilith's motives aren't even stated at any point!

Either just admit you don't care about the campaign and are only working towards endgame gameplay and dump it, or put some actual effort into it. This middle ground is just strange considering the time and resources that are available to them.

I can’t say I’m emotionally invested in the story but it sure as hell feels like a big step up from D3s scooby doo villain talking heads

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Miftan posted:

What really blows my mind is that they had all this time and the story is absolute garbage. Makes zero sense, provides world building that doesn't gel with previous world building, the characters are all stupid caricatures and Lilith's motives aren't even stated at any point!

Either just admit you don't care about the campaign and are only working towards endgame gameplay and dump it, or put some actual effort into it. This middle ground is just strange considering the time and resources that are available to them.

The story is entirely serviceable if you have any memory of D1/D2 campaigns. What prior world building? Because they're pretty obviously retconning a lot of the Diablo 3 story.

I said come in! posted:

In order:

Diablo II
Diablo IV
Diablo I
Diablo III

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Miftan posted:

lol

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you spent less time poo poo posting and more time getting out of WT1 and into WT3, you'd realize the game you're feverously defending online has massive flaws.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Scoss posted:

The characters are uneven and not great but actually the campaign has some great setpieces and moments, better than any previous game. Mephisto is enjoyable every time he shows up and we can look forward to more.

The characters make really stupid decisions all the time, including forgetting things they know or just being plain idiots.

The entirety of acts 3 and 4 blur together for me and provided very little actual plot progression. Act 1 and 5 were great and act 6 is the biggest culprit of "characters are idiots" and "we need this to happen so we're just gonna do it without justification". I also enjoyed the druid stronghold and class quest.

The story bosses were all pretty weak and disappointing other than a select few imo.

veni veni veni posted:

I can’t say I’m emotionally invested in the story but it sure as hell feels like a big step up from D3s scooby doo villain talking heads

I agree, but that is a low bar to clear.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
I've played 100s of hours of D2, atleast 100 hours of D3 and I loving hate Ubisoft/ theme park MMO poo poo. D4 is a solid game with an enjoyable story and side quests(I still can't believe I'm saying this). The fact that there is something to do storywise after the final boss is literally something D1-3 never managed to do and felt like poo poo compared to actually rolling around the world of sanctuary.

The endgame stuff could have MORE stuff but I'm level 57 and have continued to have entertaining stuff to do long after the point I would be loving boss farming or whatever in D2/3. And I've still got plenty of sidequests and strongholds to do, as well as actually trying a NM dungeon. Blizzard is still a terrible company who treat their workers like poo poo, which is probably the reason no one noticed the affix stuff until after launch.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Zotix posted:

Last Epoch, Torchlight Infinite, D4, PoE, all of these can co-exist and have great seasonal content, but for being the largest company with the most resources, D4 is sorely lagging behind the competition.

The only ones of this list that are legitimate modern games with the budgets to make interesting content are PoE and Diablo.

I tried Last Epoch, Grim Dawn, and a bunch of other ARPGs and whoo if you are not an entirely ARPG brain rotted person, there is a lot of trash in that dumpster fire of options.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Last Epoch is good actually

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Char posted:

Same. I wasn't really hot on D4 at the beginning but after getting to 50/WT3, the most balanced take imho is "good launch, good structure, needs more content" - if you're an arpg brainrotted player. If you're a casual player it's a legit good game.
We knew it would've launched too soon but I think the project leads struck a good balance.

yeah this is exactly where I'm at, level in the 60's. Once the grind gets dull in WT4 I'll play a different character or just play something else until s1 starts but everything's obviously good enough at this point to expect a fun first season.

My friends are all casual dads in the level 20-40 range still working on the campaign and they loving love it

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Zotix posted:

If you spent less time poo poo posting and more time getting out of WT1 and into WT3, you'd realize the game you're feverously defending online has massive flaws.

actually its perfect to me

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zotix posted:

:allears:

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

explosivo posted:

I'm sure it is from a gameplay perspective tbh, I only tried to play it for maybe an hour, but its graphics gave me a legitimate headache and I never bothered again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

explosivo posted:

Last Epoch is great. Been playing the early access for years now and the only time I didn’t regret an early access purchase.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Once day scientists will be able to answer why people spend 100 hours in a week fiending on a game while frequently announcing that it is mediocre poo poo.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
You can pet the dog!

It works on the spirits from shrines too.

It happens when you face them and use the Hello emote. The positioning can be finicky.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

Last Epoch is great. Been playing the early access for years now and the only time I didn’t regret an early access purchase.

I think they could be poised to gain a lot of players depending on when they go 1.0 compared to what the discussion around D4 is at the time and how much they push the marketing for it. That game addresses a lot of people's complaints about D4 and more people should play it imo.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Astryl posted:

Let me summon bosses to fight and/or go fight campaign bosses again. D2 brainworms are real.

Someone reaching level 100 in two days was obviously not intended and that's why this was nerfed so hard.

Additionally small testing vs. large amounts of players all trying to break the game as fast as possible usually results in stuff like this coming to light that may not have otherwise.

Zotix, I will never understand PoE brainworms and you will likely never understand D2 brainworms.

How is complexity for the sake of complexity, fun? (no, I won't play PoE).

I've never experienced any of the mechanics that poster described, but those sound really cool and not at all "complexity for the sake of complexity"? Like in a game focused on an infinite grind, having 6 different modes that let you experience it in different ways seems good? Especially when some of them include a unique way to spend currency within the mode itself, which sound really compelling.

I mean it feels like Diablo 4 is trying to do exactly that with Helltides, Whisper Dungeons, PvP, and nightmare maps. But the gameplay those offer is less varied than what the person described above

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Everyone has different takes/opinions who knew?

For me, I'm clearly too old and lacking of skillz so I'lll probably end up back at D3 where I can at least get to GR70.

Community involvement is critical to the success of any game nowadays no matter if your budget is barely six figures or 10 figures. Your game won't be successful unless you listen to the players. Blizzard saw something they weren't expecting and fixed it asap. Down the road I'm sure we'll see a lot more changes as the game goes on. I think Seasons is going to be the big long term selling point of this game and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've been in WT4 for over a week and am still enjoying logging on for a few hours a day to try and get an upgrade or level or two. This is pretty much what I expect or want from an end game ARPG. A fun leveling and then initial gearing phase, and then some kind of loot pinata I can hit until the next season starts or I make an alt.

10 additional side systems that still boil down to me blowing up enemies to Get Loot are not a priority to me that ruins the game through lack of inclusion

would like to see some more middle rarity uniques though, somewhere between the existing ones I have 3 each of and the literal lottery ticket rarity Shako/grandfather

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The funnest part about video games to me is that you can play more than one.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I hope that PoE and D4 end up staggering their season launches to be perfectly 1.5 months apart so I can alternate between them like a sicko!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Zotix posted:

PoE currently has:

Mapping which is nightmare dungeons but with actual risk and reward mechanics.
Delve which is an endless dungeon that you can push as deep as your build can handle.
Heist which is a mode where you loot chests, grab an item at the end and escape with it.
Expedition which is a loot bonanza where you path out demolition charges to juice monsters and chests and are also able to spend currency on items.
Blight which is a tower defense mode.
Incursion where you build a custom temple with loot and interesting mechanics that you want to add to it

They also have several in map mechanics that you can choose to spec into depending on how fun/lucrative you find them: breach, legion, abyss, metamorph, delirium, beastiary, syndicate and others.

Also nearly everything mentioned has smaller in map gameplay, as well as a larger more complex mechanic out of the maps.

I don't think that D4 needed to launch as a clone of PoE but it's mapping system is incredibly barebones, unfun, lacks rewards for increasing difficulty. PoE has had 10 years and 40 leagues to add all of this. But D4 has also had 5 years of development, a massive budget and it looks like almost all of it went into the campaign and then it falls apart shortly after entering WT4.

Zotix posted:

lmfao

d4 was never going to be the babysitter for your addiction and brain worms. you're gonna have to deal and stop being so dang mad.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Clocks posted:

imagine being mad that people are suggesting D4 can learn from the other popular arpg on the market

You should go play the free to play trash heap is my opinion

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Zotix posted:

I was answering someone else's question you jackass.

As for your statement, I absolutely will play the next league in August, and I don't think it's a far fetched statement to say the next league will also be PoE's biggest league, again. Crucible while being a weak league for many in the playerbase was still the largest league with some of the longest retention rate because of the people who played D4 beta and wanted to try other games in the genre. I expect that will only continue now that people have got their hands on D4.

How Blizzard handles seasons will be crucial to the longevity of the game for many.

Also, I'm not making GBS threads on D4 for the sake of making GBS threads on the game. My criticisms are because I want the game to do well. I'd like to have it where there are many options in the ARPG genre with seasonal content that is solid. Last Epoch, Torchlight Infinite, D4, PoE, all of these can co-exist and have great seasonal content, but for being the largest company with the most resources, D4 is sorely lagging behind the competition.

Didn’t read and no one asked

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://clips.twitch.tv/UnsightlyChillyMilkFloof-wzKOI1FcOcRksAgr

Check out this guy I found.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I didn't say so two months ago to be polite but now that the dam is breaking I think a great deal of the shitposting is motivated entirely by buyer's remorse for a $70 game that did not, in fact, transport you back in time to the same emotional state as when Diablo 2 released.

Criticizing the game is fine and discussing how to improve it is cool but:

Zotix posted:

lmao

Miftan posted:

Lilith's motives aren't even stated at any point!

My brother in Sanctuary you don't have to like the story but how did you miss Lilith stating to the player and into the camera, at least twice literally staring at you, that she wants to end the Eternal Conflict and prepare Sanctuary and her children(humanity) to stand against the return of the Prime Evils?

Lilith is one dimensional but the one dimension is pretty stable.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

He’s trying to make TikTok’s ok? Leave him alone.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Maybe anecdotal, but both

- turning off Nvidia Reflex
- setting DLLS to Balanced instead of Performance

(and still limiting FPS in the nvidia control panel to 60 for the Diablo executable)

seem to have fixed my issue of the GPU going into overdrive in vendor windows.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
It sounds like PoE has some cool ideas, but I also didnt like PoE and bounced off of it within 2 hours each time I tried it.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Diablo IV: 30 years of game development for the same loop.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I want to expand on this, I think one of the things that truly helped D1 and D2s atmosphere were the tomes (heavily in 1, and a few in 2) and the voice acting for them. I can rattle off the countess tome from D2 in my sleep if I wanted to and the fact that they were all narrated to you as the player via the same guiding voice felt better than finding a random book on the floor and hearing some random VA tell a story.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

It sounds like PoE has some cool ideas, but I also didnt like PoE and bounced off of it within 2 hours each time I tried it.

Yeah I think it's obviously fine to compare the two but it's very funny that every attempt to explain PoE mechanics to outsiders just makes it sound even less appealing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

I didn't say so two months ago to be polite but now that the dam is breaking I think a great deal of the shitposting is motivated entirely by buyer's remorse for a $70 game that did not, in fact, transport you back in time to the same emotional state as when Diablo 2 released.

It's funny cause d4 has actually been the closest thing to capturing those feelings for my social group. We've tried dozens of games but until now I've never seen three buddies online at 6am before work like we had back in the eq/d2 days.

A lot of it might be the name but capturing the casual demo is just something that most games can't pull off, even if the games might be better.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
If I extract a legendary aspect, does that also unlock the item appearance for the wardrobe, or do I have to choose between utility and fashion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Characters being big dumb idiots is a Diablo staple. Tyrael, anyone who believed Adrial wasn't tricking them, and Azmodan are good examples.

PCs able to achieve such ridiculous power because they're the only one not stupid. Zultan Kulle isn't either but he's a ghost so it's a wash. Amazing humanity keeps lingering on through all this. Angels and demons can't really die I guess so they're free to stay being dummies.