Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
People love complaining about vidja games on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

v3 definitely needs a "war of the worlds" dlc later on in its cycle

Hell yeah it does

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well that's interesting:https://www.ign.com/articles/star-trek-infinite-is-a-new-grand-strategy-game-from-paradox

quote:

Star Trek: Infinite Is a New Grand Strategy Game From Paradox

Paradox has announced a new grand strategy game set in the Star Trek universe.

Star Trek: Infinite is developed by Quantum League maker Nimble Giant Entertainment, and was revealed during Summer Game Fest. The teaser trailer shows a Federation fleet approach the Borg. Art shows famous Star Trek characters such as Captain Picard, Dukat and Gowron.

A full reveal is set for June 16, aka Picard Day.

Nimble Giant is best-known for its work on 2016's Master of Orion, which according to our review was "built on a moderately successful but bland execution of the inside-the-box formula". Other releases include the aforementioned Quantum League and Champions of Regnum. Paradox, for its part, has built a name for itself in the strategy space.

Star Trek, of course, has a rich history in the strategy space, with notable releases including Star Trek: Armada and Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. Like the series itself, though, the quality of many of these have been mixed. We'll see whether Star Trek: Infinite is able to raise the bar for quality in the series.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Seems a bit misleading to call it a "grand strategy game from Paradox" when most people hearing that phrase will assume it's from PDS.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Releasing something better than the current crop of Stellaris Trek conversion mods is going to be a significant hill to climb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
2016's Master of Orion was a straightforwardly good update of the old MOO2, and if that's what we can expect from this, I'll probably be interested

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Seems a bit misleading to call it a "grand strategy game from Paradox" when most people hearing that phrase will assume it's from PDS.

I had the same thought, especially since even people who post in this thread get Paradox the publisher confused with Paradox the developer at times. For me grand strategy is totally synonymous with PDS or a PDS knockoff and it feels cheap for PI to slap it on some other game they're publishing

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Magissima posted:

I had the same thought, especially since even people who post in this thread get Paradox the publisher confused with Paradox the developer at times. For me grand strategy is totally synonymous with PDS or a PDS knockoff and it feels cheap for PI to slap it on some other game they're publishing

Confusing the publishing side with the developing side like they did here is bad. But there's no reason one of their subsidies can't develop a grand strategy game. The map we see in the trailer would fit right into Stellaris. So I guess we'll have to see whether the game deserves to be called a grand strategy game.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Sure, and tbh I didn't even watch the trailer because I don't care about star trek. I assumed it would be more of a 4x given the developer, but maybe not. It just rubbed me the wrong way because it goes against my personal connotations of grand strategy (i.e. PDS, historical) even if it does fit whatever formal definition people come up with

edit: I also feel that it's kind of dubious to call Stellaris a grand strategy game but paradox does and I can't really argue with them

Magissima fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 9, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grand strategy games predate Paradox.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/stellarisnexus/status/1666906051487363072

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The short session focus sounds great, especially with all modern 4X going for bloat (Amplitude at least try to make games wider, not longer, but they're still on the longer side). But is it focused on multiplayer? Is it another doomed attempt to make 4X multiplayer game that a limited amount of people will play?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

2016's Master of Orion was a straightforwardly good update of the old MOO2, and if that's what we can expect from this, I'll probably be interested

By the way, isn't it sad that it's not enough nowadays? It was an OK game and it even got a free big expansion adding Antarans, but it passed unnoticed for some reason, and impressive production levels didn't matter. I've seen more discussion on crap indie attempts to remake MoO2 like Star Drive 2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ilitarist posted:

By the way, isn't it sad that it's not enough nowadays? It was an OK game and it even got a free big expansion adding Antarans, but it passed unnoticed for some reason, and impressive production levels didn't matter. I've seen more discussion on crap indie attempts to remake MoO2 like Star Drive 2.

yeah I picked it up this year after I went through a period of looking for a space 4x and finding the GalCiv games unsatisfying, but this one ticked all the right boxes and I was surprised why I'd never heard of it through word-of-mouth before

I guess it got lost in the shuffle of lots of Steam releases?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I personally didn't like tactical combat and this is one of these games where skipping combat is a wrong idea, cause half of your tech tree is about adding unique ship components that are not just numerical upgrades but some quirks. Then again, I adore Endless Space 2 (too bad about the AI) and I have no idea at all what happens during combat in that game. But I bet most people who play Stellaris don't analyze combat and leave ship design to the computer.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Confusing the publishing side with the developing side like they did here is bad. But there's no reason one of their subsidies can't develop a grand strategy game. The map we see in the trailer would fit right into Stellaris. So I guess we'll have to see whether the game deserves to be called a grand strategy game.

The only sin here is that they did this with Star Trek instead of Battletech.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dramicus posted:

The only sin here is that they did this with Star Trek instead of Battletech.
My ability to feel human, ect

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For some reason I am reminded of the browser based time/action gated games I played back in middle school.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VostokProgram posted:

Grand strategy games predate Paradox.

Oh? What are pre-Paradox grand strategy games? I'm genuinely curious.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Ruler of Nations!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You can call Imperialism 1/2 a 4X, but you can also call it GSG. And before that there were plenty of GSGs made by KOEI.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Off the top of my head I can think of star wars: rebellion and imperialism. Also 4X games would sometimes be called grand strategy games - I distinctly remember space empires 3 being described like that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ilitarist posted:

The short session focus sounds great, especially with all modern 4X going for bloat (Amplitude at least try to make games wider, not longer, but they're still on the longer side). But is it focused on multiplayer? Is it another doomed attempt to make 4X multiplayer game that a limited amount of people will play?

Yeah, it feels like they're making a Stellaris themed version of Risk. I have doubts about how wide the player base would be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maelstrom from 1992, Conquest of the New World, Balance of Power, Shadow President, Imperialism, Crisis in the Kremlin, and 1994's Kingmaker are all games that I'd say fit into being "non/pre-Paradox Grand Strategy" games, and that's already with going out of one's way to exclude anything related or similar to Civilization

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Oh? What are pre-Paradox grand strategy games? I'm genuinely curious.

Europa Universalis the actual board game :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

reignonyourparade posted:

Europa Universalis the actual board game :v:

Empires in Arms, the game it cribbed a LOT of basic mechanics from.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Do those old Koei strategy games count? Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Grand Strategy is such a vague term it basically applies to any 4X. But if we narrow the definition to only include the Paradox-style realtime and not turnbased, are there any games like that pre-Paradox?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

GrossMurpel posted:

Grand Strategy is such a vague term it basically applies to any 4X. But if we narrow the definition to only include the Paradox-style realtime and not turnbased, are there any games like that pre-Paradox?

Shadow President at least basically runs like a pdox game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUIphFg42A&t=695s

(not an endorsement of this video, I couldn't find any no-commentary videos past the tutorial)

Edit: If anyone wants to try an old nation management game, I would recommend giving Hidden Agenda a try. It's not really grand strategy since you don't directly control the military but it's a really neat game. It's less complicated to play than it looks. All you really need to know to get started is that it's entirely keyboard-based and the first thing you should do is go into the Contacts -> Party Dossiers screen and pick ministers from the different candidates there. Then you can talk to them from the Consultations icon and talk to different interest groups from the Encounters icon. It's a pretty similar game to other political sims like Crisis in the Kremlin but the scenario in Hidden Agenda is more interesting and detailed I think.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 11, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I think the Master of Orion games qualify as pre-Stellaris games.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lobsterminator posted:

I think the Master of Orion games qualify as pre-Stellaris games.

But wouldn't most people say that Stellaris is a 4x, not a "grand strategy"?

Has any game besides Svea Rike III ever been grand strategy?

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Grand Strategy is when you start a war on turn 40 (or year 1680), but you lose it on turn 80 (or year 1740) because you chose to build a granary on turn 20 (or year 1500) instead of like, a barracks or whatever.

The costs of making a mistake are large, and the gains from winning a victory are small; so it's whatever games fit the criteria of "long term planning" and "not-very forgiving".

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Balance of Power (1985) isn't really granular like modern grand strategy titles, but it is along the same lines of statecraft and blowing everyone up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Half-wit posted:

Grand Strategy is when you start a war on turn 40 (or year 1680), but you lose it on turn 80 (or year 1740) because you chose to build a granary on turn 20 (or year 1500) instead of like, a barracks or whatever.

The costs of making a mistake are large, and the gains from winning a victory are small; so it's whatever games fit the criteria of "long term planning" and "not-very forgiving".

So, no paradox game is a grand strategy then?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Alternative, hotter take: "grand strategy" is mainly a marketing term Paradox have decided to push. Their games do have a somewhat unified design language and some shared design elements -- they're on the simulationist side of the simulation-abstraction spectrum; they try to model politics and not just warfare; they try to construct a narrative with characters, missions and events; they use maps with naturalistic borders instead of regular tilings -- but those elements can be found in other games that don't use the "grand strategy" label. There are no fundamental differences between a PDS game and other strategy games.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But wouldn't most people say that Stellaris is a 4x, not a "grand strategy"?

Has any game besides Svea Rike III ever been grand strategy?

What's the difference between 4X and grand strategy? Other than the traditional genre conventions (one tends to be space focused, the other tends to be real-world focused), there isn't really a clear distinction between them.

The four Xs that make up a 4X are "explore", "expand", "exploit", and "exterminate". Going by that, I'd say the EU games arguably qualify as 4Xs - you explore the map and reveal new lands, you expand into both unclaimed lands and into your neighbors, you exploit resources in areas you control to build up your empire, and you crush your neighbors and destroy your rivals. That's all four Xs right there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd argue that 4x are a subset of grand strategy but are significantly more common that non-4X grand strategy. They hit basically all the markers (controlling a polity's economy politics and military with a broader scope than a single conflict) but specifically focus on starting with a small entity in an unknown environment with peer enemies on an even footing. Stellaris is basically a 4x, while Europa Universalis isn't despite having some exploration elements

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think what sets Paradox games apart is that expansion is not necessarily the end goal, and in many games is often discouraged.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

anyone got that picture of the hosed up Hapsburg that's captioned "I'm 0/0/0"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Alternative, hotter take: "grand strategy" is mainly a marketing term Paradox have decided to push. Their games do have a somewhat unified design language and some shared design elements -- they're on the simulationist side of the simulation-abstraction spectrum; they try to model politics and not just warfare; they try to construct a narrative with characters, missions and events; they use maps with naturalistic borders instead of regular tilings -- but those elements can be found in other games that don't use the "grand strategy" label. There are no fundamental differences between a PDS game and other strategy games.

Yeah for me personally, "grand strategy" is forever cemented as "just what we decided to call this niche of real-time nation-level strategy" because that's what the EU3 tutorial said :v: