Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squiggle posted:

I hope you can custom start anywhere over water but it still spawns you in at altitude

Flying dutchman mod when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
https://stormbirds.blog/2023/05/18/combat-pilot-a-new-pacific-wwii-sim-coming-from-jason-williams-and-barbedwire-studios/

:swoon:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

This is years off, isn't fully funded and is trying to get into a niche market, so I'll be pretty surprised if this ever sees the light of day, especially since the Forgotten Battles developers are likely working on a Pacific Theater thing too.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'll play that game the same day I'll play that bush pilot simulator game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No crowdfunding is a very positive sign that they are serious about this imo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I said come in! posted:

No crowdfunding is a very positive sign that they are serious about this imo.

Well, he said his primary concern is that he wouldn't want to crowdfund something that he's not sure will come out, so they're definitely serious but that doesn't mean they don't have doubts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well, he said his primary concern is that he wouldn't want to crowdfund something that he's not sure will come out, so they're definitely serious but that doesn't mean they don't have doubts.

That's fair, I think if they were wanting to crowdfund from the start then I would be really uncomfortable with supporting this project. Too many really bad experiences with veteran game developers coming out of no where to announce a new game, that its going to be crowdfunded, and then it just disappears or launches as a really terrible game that doesn't meet any of the promises.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

I said come in! posted:

That's fair, I think if they were wanting to crowdfund from the start then I would be really uncomfortable with supporting this project. Too many really bad experiences with veteran game developers coming out of no where to announce a new game, that its going to be crowdfunded, and then it just disappears or launches as a really terrible game that doesn't meet any of the promises.

:trustme:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Speaking of, how is IL-2 Sturmovik nowadays? I am more of a super casual on the combat flight sim side of things, does it have a lot of difficulty settings to make it more arcade and easier? I use to really enjoy War Thunder, but the blatant pay to win cash shop, and unreasonable grind, really killed the game for me. Plus it's not that good with a joystick.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Il-2 has quite a few difficulty settings, so you can customize it pretty well.

I've kinda cooled on it over the last year or so since it's really starting to show its age. Something like a max of 16 a/c in the air at one time, lame AI, and the god-awful radio comms in single player just kill it for me. I don't play multiplayer - where it excels, apparently - so your mileage may vary.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of, how is IL-2 Sturmovik nowadays? I am more of a super casual on the combat flight sim side of things, does it have a lot of difficulty settings to make it more arcade and easier? I use to really enjoy War Thunder, but the blatant pay to win cash shop, and unreasonable grind, really killed the game for me. Plus it's not that good with a joystick.

The game's in a good place, and has a healthy online community flying it. Air Goons bounce back and forth playing it together.
There's a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413

But the game's good. You can usually obtain the base game on Steam for like ten dollars, too. All MP servers can use all the maps, you don't have to own any of them to fly them. You just have own the plane to fly it! And cool part about the map rotation is that they have all kinds of planes there as the maps rotate. By buying the base game and a few others, you can ensure you'll always fly something on the server.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

I've kinda cooled on it over the last year or so since it's really starting to show its age. Something like a max of 16 a/c in the air at one time, lame AI, and the god-awful radio comms in single player just kill it for me. I don't play multiplayer - where it excels, apparently - so your mileage may vary.

I haven't played in a while either but I believe I installed a mod that replaces the radio comms with blank audio files. That really sucks, because a good comms system would add to the excitement. Now it's just annoying robots yelling the same useless things again and again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I said come in! posted:

IL2 is skewing towards the sim side, but it is (largely purposefully) held back by virtue of being entirely controlled via button binds and short cuts rather than clicky cockpits where you fiddle with every switch and frobnitz to make the aircraft go. It does have some difficulty tuning as well, but most of it comes down to not flying like a complete spanner, and occasionally treating your engine properly. In fact, engine management is often what half (or more) of your binds will end up being dedicated to. So for the most part, it picks a lane and sticks with it.

I would recommend the Airgoons beginner guide to get over some of that initial hump.

Its biggest issue right now is that, as mentioned in the IL2 thread, it's a bit stuck in a rut and is slowly stagnating because it doesn't really have anywhere to go.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

I haven't played in a while either but I believe I installed a mod that replaces the radio comms with blank audio files. That really sucks, because a good comms system would add to the excitement. Now it's just annoying robots yelling the same useless things again and again.

I just turn the in-cockpit radio down - first thing I do when I start a mission. They added a key command for that a few version back. But yeah... "RrrrOUGHMAN" "Thisis2imgoingdown" is just soooooo loving tired an annoying.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gewehr 43 posted:

It bores the hell out of me because every mission is commuting to the target area and there's hardly anything to do once you're there, and then commuting back to base.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
One thing I thought sounded cool about the Combat Pilot article is they mentioned they were hoping to put a lot of effort into the ship models and behavior as well as the aircraft aspect of the Pacific WWII theater. If they actually do that, it makes things way more interesting in helping feel like you are part of something bigger.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Fenix A320 is getting an almost complete overhaul:

https://fenixsim.com/blog/entries/2023-05-19_anniversary/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I suspect this isn't much of a surprise to anyone, but some old guy on youtube has a comparison between the 13900k and the 7800x3d. The results weren't really even close. The video is drawn out longer than it need be, but I'll skip ahead to the relevant spot.

4090, 32gb RAM systems otherwise.

https://youtu.be/U5qTUKpEvik?t=416

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I really need to put some cash aside and pull the trigger on a 5800x3D. Absolutely beastly capstone CPU for the AM4 platform.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got a 5600 for like 150 bucks and it was a drop in upgrade over the 3600 that was there.

Would have been ultra smooth if I didn’t forget about loving bitlocker before updating the bios and losing my DCS binds among other things. :smith:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MS apparently just announced flight sim 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Holy goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xp-SnZDoY

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I bet ATC is still hosed up in that one too.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also Flight Simulator Dune where you can fly over Arrakis in an Ornitophter. Looks amazing, but then I loved Villeneuve’s adaptation so far.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Beef Of Ages posted:

I bet ATC is still hosed up in that one too.

"Piper ASXGS, please expedite your climb to FL290"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 2024 update for Flight Sim looks amazing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are they gonna make us pay for steam copies again

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

ethanol posted:

are they gonna make us pay for steam copies again

And all payware will be incompatible and need to be purchased again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hey, gotta pay for those pseudo-Jeppesen chart subscriptions somehow. :haw:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
drat the reactions on the official forums are insane. For some reason they're mostly furious about this but I can't see why, since literally nothing is known about it right now, they've already concluded no third party stuff is gonna work on it and microsoft will immediately drop all support for MSFS for some reason. It's been like an hour and they're mad Asobo hasnt communicated with them yet. Such entitlement, it's baffling.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LTA and cropdusting? Sign me up.

If they break existing addons they are dumb and stupid and I’ll hate them forever.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yeah I don't see any way this isn't rolled into the current MSFS somehow

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The A-10 being armed with a 30mm flashlight is hilarious.

If this follows the pattern of the old MS flight simulators, 3rd party stuff will probably be largely compatible, but the more complex aircraft that rely on custom coding to work will probably end up broken to some extent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

And all payware will be incompatible and need to be purchased again.

Wait, is this a whole new game, or an expansion? Why not just make it an expansion if its not?

Spaced God posted:

Yeah I don't see any way this isn't rolled into the current MSFS somehow

Yes, this would be a gigantic miss if its not an expansion for MSFS.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Wait, is this a whole new game, or an expansion? Why not just make it an expansion if its not?

Yes, this would be a gigantic miss if its not an expansion for MSFS.

MS is saying it'll be all new, but there's no specifics so far.

The trailer looks like the MSFS engine with some improvements made (the water and trees are the obvious ones), so this is probably going back to the old MS flight simulator pattern of using the same core engine to put out a new release (with a few additions/tweaks) every few years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

azflyboy posted:

MS is saying it'll be all new, but there's no specifics so far.

The trailer looks like the MSFS engine with some improvements made (the water and trees are the obvious ones), so this is probably going back to the old MS flight simulator pattern of using the same core engine to put out a new release (with a few additions/tweaks) every few years.

I guess if I have to buy a whole new game then so be it. At nearly 1300 hours played of MSFS, its clear i'll bend over for this one.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

My comment was meant to be a joke. But apparently the official forums actually expect that. I'm pretty sure this will be a very compatible update.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Of course I don't want to pay again, but that looks like a shitload of new content and paid DLC is just the way games are now. If they want to charge 80 bucks for all that stuff, that's still a better deal than 80 bucks for every new airplane or map in DCS.

It would be absolutely loving insane for them to either use a new incompatible engine, or to arbitrarily make this one incompatible with existing content (more so than it already gets every time they make a significant update). The big time grognards are just stupid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I sure hope they take the opportunity and drop tons of legacy stuff, that's apparently still in current MSFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

My comment was meant to be a joke. But apparently the official forums actually expect that. I'm pretty sure this will be a very compatible update.

Ooh yeah haha, everyone is pretty confused by the wording.