Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.ufc.com/news/introducing-ufc-legacy-championship-belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the square has eight lines to represent the octagon. the octagon has eight sides to represent the octagon

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Is that UFC belt just some way to sell more stuff to belt marks? The whole customized for each title holder, gems for wins thing seems gimmicky.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok the WWE belts at least look better than the UFC belts.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
For those missing it, Charlotte is having a meltdown on social media over the intense amount of backlash she's getting over being inserted right into the title picture again. Even quoting THAT Triple H promo that ended up causing WWE to suffer a steep decline in popularity.

https://twitter.com/MsCharlotteWWE/status/1667955821907677184

Keep in mind she's supposed to be a babyface!!!!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Charlotte's disdain for wrestling fans is very relatable.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't see how this isn't face behavior by WWE standards

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
give me the belt

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I personally have a hard time disliking Charlotte for always being in the title scene because Vince did that part.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
She's like if Kevin Nash was a belt mark

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Tampa Bae posted:

the real answer the belts are always ugly variations of the giant W logo is because when sports stars wear them to games they want everyone to know "oh that's a WWE™ Championship" and not "oh that's a wrestling belt"

To 90% of the public WWE and wrestling are one and the same so what does it matter. It's an ugly and lazy design

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

UnleashedDad posted:

To 90% of the public WWE and wrestling are one and the same so what does it matter. It's an ugly and lazy design
it's in the off chance people start wearing aew belts which does happen sometimes. They want the brand recognized as the title and everything else is just "generic belt"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

it's in the off chance people start wearing aew belts which does happen sometimes. They want the brand recognized as the title and everything else is just "generic belt"

thats no excuse for the ugly rear end belts before AEW was a thing

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

How far we've fallen from the spinner belt.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Kvlt! posted:

thats no excuse for the ugly rear end belts before AEW was a thing
It's for the same exact reason, they want the WWE logo to be recognizable. the brand is the star (and roman) and they have interest in doing it as long as people still call it the "wwf" or think wcw is still around

It's like seeing a yankees cap out in public

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That and just a general lack of good taste.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

How far we've fallen from the spinner belt.

I remember thinking the spinner belt was the ugliest

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
These belts are better than the spinner in my mind. The spinner was pretty tasteless but worked for Cena/2005 and as the years progressed it got goofier and goofier. Still was worth it for RVD holding it to do the spinner thing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The spinner belt’s most egregious sin was just having CHAMP on it, which even after it stopped spinning made it still look like it was a Cena prop the entire time.

It’d be like if the current belts had BIG DOG on the front

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tampa Bae posted:

She's like if Kevin Nash was a belt mark

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

DarkstarIV posted:

For those missing it, Charlotte is having a meltdown on social media over the intense amount of backlash she's getting over being inserted right into the title picture again. Even quoting THAT Triple H promo that ended up causing WWE to suffer a steep decline in popularity.

an emoji and an imbedded video. EPIC frigging meltdown on display here boys.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DarkstarIV posted:

triple h is so loving lame

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

all of the old school mentality dipshit wrestlers that refuse to live in 2023 are lame

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Orange Carlisle posted:

all of the old school mentality dipshit wrestlers that refuse to live in 2023 are lame

I always felt like HHH's generation of dudes were trying to live a version of the business that even the guys that mentored them just lied about existing.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Twilight Zone episode where HHH has to break into the modern biz in Karrion Kross’s shoes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
triple wins

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheKingslayer posted:

I always felt like HHH's generation of dudes were trying to live a version of the business that even the guys that mentored them just lied about existing.

Trips is absolutely a total mark for the carny image of the business the 80's guys sold him on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Answers Me posted:

They should have just invented two fake governing bodies to name their titles after, like they do in Japan, if they wanted brand-specific titles without the headache of what happens if the Smackdown Women’s Champion moves to Raw or whatever

The Raw and Smackdown GMs were the original governing bodies. They just picked lovely names.

Imaging you’re debuting a new title and you call is the Smackdown whatever. Like does anybody as a kid ever dream of being the Smackdown tag team champions?

Tampa Bae posted:

the real answer the belts are always ugly variations of the giant W logo is because when sports stars wear them to games they want everyone to know "oh that's a WWE™ Championship" and not "oh that's a wrestling belt"

There is a funny video out there of “WWE keeps debuting the same title over and over again” and it’s just a super cut of every stupid Big W belt.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheKingslayer posted:

I feel that way about guys like Disco and Bubba. It's almost like they saw the generation that came before them become old grumpy coots who hated the business for becoming a fake cartoon and so they just followed in their footsteps and adopted those same old guy opinions despite they themselves being from the fake cartoon era.

Like the old fans today who bitch about "flippy poo poo" despite growing up on luchadores on Nitro. Or Undertaker talking about how the guys these days are just dorks who are fake tough guys despite the fact he made his career on playing a supernatural zombie which was like the longest most successful goofy fake cartoon bullshit in the history of wrestling.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

1glitch0 posted:

I feel that way about guys like Disco and Bubba. It's almost like they saw the generation that came before them become old grumpy coots who hated the business for becoming a fake cartoon and so they just followed in their footsteps and adopted those same old guy opinions despite they themselves being from the fake cartoon era.

Like the old fans today who bitch about "flippy poo poo" despite growing up on luchadores on Nitro. Or Undertaker talking about how the guys these days are just dorks who are fake tough guys despite the fact he made his career on playing a supernatural zombie which was like the longest most successful goofy fake cartoon bullshit in the history of wrestling.

Bret Hart getting lovely about guys standing around outside the ring in a bunch waiting to be jumped on when he made a career out of being forced to run in a particular direction just because his opponent grabbed his arm and threw him in that direction. And it wasn't like anyone else taking an irish whip either, mf would sprint into the nearest goddamn turnbuckle anytime he got tapped on the wrist.

Yeah, the good old days when it was super realistic hey Bret.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
but man, when he sprinted chest first into the turnbuckle, did anyone do it better? :allears:

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
This is the ECW heavyweight championship, and I will wear it proudly.

And look at this one. It spins!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

To a degree I get what Bret is saying, so far as at times it feels like wrestlers are just having a good match instead of making it feel like a fight, but it's still just different strokes as opposed to The One True Way of Wrestling.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheKingslayer posted:

To a degree I get what Bret is saying, so far as at times it feels like wrestlers are just having a good match instead of making it feel like a fight, but it's still just different strokes as opposed to The One True Way of Wrestling.

Because Bret Hart vs Henry Godwin on Jacked was a 5 star classic.

Two things. First…

Bret was involved in some of the greatest storylines in wrestling in his era. It’s easy to make your match look like a fight when you’re facing Austin, Undertaker, and HBK. And it’s not just the opponents, the storylines were top tier as well.

I’d love to see what he would do with his 3rd consecutive PPV match against The Miz, where the feud only continued because Miz won with a roll up and had to scream “this ain’t over, pal!” as his opponent ran away acting likely he barely escaped death.

Second…

The expectations of a wrestler today are far beyond what they were 30 years ago. If you are on Raw, SD, or Dynamite the expectation is that you put on at least a 3.5 star match. And if you don’t it’s “wow, what are they doing on TV, that match was horrible!” When on Raw in 1995 all you needed to do was get your poo poo in and put your opponent in the sharpshooter to send the crowd home happy.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hirez posted:

but man, when he sprinted chest first into the turnbuckle, did anyone do it better? :allears:

Hell no, that poo poo was amazing. Completely and utterly ridiculous in anything like a "real fight", but absolute gold in the context of a wrestling match.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1668201577163653122

wwe and disney in play

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
WWE and It’s Always Sunny crossover.

Maybe get Timothy Olyphant to show up too, as Raylan Givens.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wait, FX isn't Fox?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

Wait, FX isn't Fox?

who owns 21st Century Fox now, MJeff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tbf the whole Disney/Fox acquisition thing is kind of a confusing clusterfuck where a bunch of stuff didn’t actually go to Disney and yet more stuff actually went to different third party buyers while a little core of poo poo remained with a new and separate Fox.