Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, an explicit point of each of those bosses is that they are there to show you the ATB system and how it is 'different' from normal RPGs. That is why they're the first boss in each case. The Wind Shrine boss in FFV does the same thing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Wait Mode does not actually stop enemies from acting except while you have an action menu open. In FFX if you don't touch anything the game doesn't progress. For example in FFIX if you select attack but don't select a target the enemy will continue to act. It's actually very notable in FFIX because enemies will trigger their actions even while you're in a menu if they already were acting before you went in, to the point wait mode in FFIX is almost indistinguishable from Active Mode. (A common complaint about the game.) You are not safe during your turn even in Wait Mode unless you trigger the very specific thing that stops time. It was designed to make it easier to scroll busy menus, not to turn the game turn-based.

Like straight-up this is something people actually complain about. Time does not stop when your turn comes even on Wait Mode. It isn't 'true' turn based, it just slows time while you select an option. You know, like Wait Mode in FFXV or FFVIIR.

Okay, maybe there's a minor difference(which people complain about the existence of). But remember, the point you're trying to make here is: "People complaining about the direction the series have taken since 15 don't even know what they want, the series has always made big sweeping changes between games." Do you think the fact that there's a minor functional difference between ATB and turn-based(a difference which people, as you say, complain about)validates that idea the series has made this kind of big sweeping change before? Out of 16 games: 12 use either ATB or turn-based, 2 systems which are very, very similar. 2 are MMOs which use a fairly standard MMO system, since turn-based or ATB would not translate well to an MMO(and which garnered a somewhat different audience as a result). And then the last 2 are action games. Do you really think there's no justification for long-time fans of the series to be disappointed by the fact that it's taken this new direction? Are you actually saying that 15 and 16 are no further removed from 4-9 than 10 is?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

thanks, this is basically a better way of making the same point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man I hope the next ten days go quick

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Okay, maybe there's a minor difference(which people complain about the existence of). But remember, the point you're trying to make here is: "People complaining about the direction the series have taken since 15 don't even know what they want, the series has always made big sweeping changes between games." Do you think the fact that there's a minor functional difference between ATB and turn-based(a difference which people, as you say, complain about)validates that idea the series has made this kind of big sweeping change before? Out of 16 games: 12 use either ATB or turn-based, 2 systems which are very, very similar. 2 are MMOs which use a fairly standard MMO system, since turn-based or ATB would not translate well to an MMO(and which garnered a somewhat different audience as a result). And then the last 2 are action games. Do you really think there's no justification for long-time fans of the series to be disappointed by the fact that it's taken this new direction? Are you actually saying that 15 and 16 are no further removed from 4-9 than 10 is?

Well, I wouldn't say that because among other things I don't agree that you should only be counting the mainline games when discussing the evolution of the series. There is a steady development of mechanics that exists not just in the main numbered entries but in their sequels and spinoffs too. FFX-2 set the groundwork for FFXIII which set the groundwork for LR which set the groundwork for FFXV which set the groundwork for FFVIIIR which set the groundwork for FFXVI. There is a *much* clearer follow through in how those games develop then.

Like Lightning Returns is the almost exact midpoint between standard ATB and action games. It is a single-character game where you have three ATB bars you swap between, with each one filling up separately, but it also has timed hits and just defends and rewards comboing and in general is a mesh of ATB and 'pure action' gameplay. If you don't pretend it and FFX-2 'don't count' then seeing how we got from FFX to FFXVI is a lot easier to follow.

cock hero flux posted:

thanks, this is basically a better way of making the same point

You missed their point. Each of those boss battles is a mechanic that explicitly isn't turn based. You have to wait for the enemy to drop their defenses. If you just take your action you'll get hosed up and if you defend it won't change anything except making you wait for your ATB bar to fill again.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Excited to play ff16 in like a week and a half and not think about what a final fantasy game should or shouldn’t be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where the freakin' demo

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I wouldn't say that because among other things I don't agree that you should only be counting the mainline games when discussing the evolution of the series. There is a steady development of mechanics that exists not just in the main numbered entries but in their sequels and spinoffs too. FFX-2 set the groundwork for FFXIII which set the groundwork for LR which set the groundwork for FFXV which set the groundwork for FFVIIIR which set the groundwork for FFXVI. There is a *much* clearer follow through in how those games develop then.

Like Lightning Returns is the almost exact midpoint between standard ATB and action games. It is a single-character game where you have three ATB bars you swap between, with each one filling up separately, but it also has timed hits and just defends and rewards comboing and in general is a mesh of ATB and 'pure action' gameplay. If you don't pretend it and FFX-2 'don't count' then seeing how we got from FFX to FFXVI is a lot easier to follow.

I'm not saying they don't exist, or that there hasn't been a logical progression. I, personally, don't mind action games. My biggest problem with the direction the series was taking was that it was executed poorly: I did not think 15 played well at all. 7R was a lot better, though, so I'm optimistic enough. But that's just me: the fact that I like both games like the older FF games and like the newer ones is a coincidence. 15 and 16, while you can see DNA from the older games, are now in a totally different genre of game, and I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset about that or to wish for a return to the prior genre.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I suppose the demo will be available at 5AM in Europe. And we're getting a new trailer, too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You missed their point.

No, I got it, I just deliberately ignored it because I realized that it was easier to explain what I was talking about visually. Their cherry-picked examples of ATB being as functionally different from turn-based as possible were still far, far more similar to 1 or 10 than any random image of 15 I could pull off of google. It was easier to just put up screenshots of 1, 10 and 13, the games that you were using as examples of being non-ATB games, and 15, the game you were saying was not as much of a departure from the series, in order to show the differences rather than continuing to try and talk about them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sakurazuka posted:

Where the freakin' demo

Been saying this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

incorporeal posted:

Excited to play ff16 in like a week and a half and not think about what a final fantasy game should or shouldn’t be.

FF16 will begin with a quiz about the fundamental nature of FF games, and if you answer wrong you won't be able to play it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just to put my 2 gil into the whole ATB discussion, I think it's worth noting that the FF9 memoria mod has a setting that changes the combat system to play very similarly to FFX, and that the combat system of Xenogears (hallowed be its name) is also similar. Both ff9's memoria and Xenogears (and arguably FFX) accomplish this by skipping the wait anytime it's not someone's turn, and stopping time once it is.

My point is that while, for instance, FFX and FFX-2's combat feel very different, the mechanics are more similar than different.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

https://twitter.com/RinoTheBouncer/status/1667803623370137600?s=20

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Ah, so I probably won't get to play it until after work tomorrow.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So it's gonna be out at midnight my time

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Ah, so I probably won't get to play it until after work tomorrow.

Same

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Rino is notoriously unreliable and his source doesn't specify what time the demo will be out, it's simply an ad they ran too early.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just want a party of weirdos again. I think the party in XV and a lot of the characters in XVI look like they belong together too much, and the fact you had to wait until the DLC to play as characters besides Noctis was very bad. I do not want stories focused so much on a single character in Final Fantasy, even if the only real ensemble cast was VI (and the MMOs by necessity.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Spermando posted:

Rino is notoriously unreliable and his source doesn't specify what time the demo will be out, it's simply an ad they ran too early.

Yeah but it's also the most obvious answer. The demo's not going to be out before the stream is over. They want you to watch the stream.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Great time to be unemployed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jesus gently caress can today get any better as a gamer?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Ralph whipping out his best Jojo pose while everyone else is doing victory or battle stances.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

im getting so loving stoked, so loving stoked aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Well I guess there is your answer on what Final Fantasy is

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yoshida must have read this thread before his presentation, because he just said that what defines the series is the differences between the games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Watching this livestream. It's thundering heavily outside so I hope I don't lose my power in the middle of it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
They just casually said that this was codeveloped with Platinum Games.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

demo tomorrow, 1 am PST, it may take a couple minutes for it to become available so relax

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 12, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Demo launches tomorrow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

They just casually said that this was codeveloped with Platinum Games.

Oh yeah that explains a couple of things for sure. There are sone Platinum rear end moments in the game

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 12, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gently caress yes....... gently caress yes!

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

You can pre-order the plushies

Now:
https://na.store.square-enix-games.com/franchise/final-fantasy-xvi

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 12, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Torgal plushie merch can now be preordered. Our national nightmare is over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Demo launches tomorrow.

at 1am! I have work tomorrow, release it tonight. :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol I lost my power like 5 minutes after posting about it, but fortunately can watch on phone

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'm going back to work tomorrow after being on leave for 3 weeks. This is ill-timed on that front!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm at work/commuting home for like 3 more hours after the demo drops but the moment I get home I'm gonna clive out, trash the house, kill some eikons, gay sex clive, kill chaos