Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Launching directly on a solid steel panel is actually a good thing as we know when energy or a force hits a surface it just stops existing

thats right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the wtaer will put the fire out you stupid libs

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I want elon to make the water-cooled launch pad

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
We've known how to launch rockets without destroying the launch pad since before WWI. Why is Musk reinventing the wheel?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zeroisanumber posted:

We've known how to launch rockets without destroying the launch pad since before WWI. Why is Musk reinventing the wheel?

thrust via wheel rotation

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

nikosoft posted:

It's actually 2 steel plates with water in between and the top plate has holes in it to shoot water up to suppress the destructive force of the raptor engines (?) during launch

Anyway, it's assuredly not going to work

what

i thought their excuse for not having a water trench was that Mars wouldn't have one for the return trip

this sounds way more complicated than a water trench

also imagine going to mars trusting that SpaceX can somehow get you home first try lol

Durf has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Jun 11, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

move fast, break things

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Musk been playing Oxygen Not included thinking a water cooled steel plate will just absorb the heat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not clear to me why Kanye is banned at this point

other than that he’s black

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
dozens of launches a day

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

put ice cubes in it to cool it off

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1279814327776624640

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

euphronius posted:

Embarrassed Musk.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Durf posted:

what

i thought their excuse for not having a water trench was that Mars wouldn't have one for the return trip

which is also a boneheaded idea because mars also won't have launch infrastructure that will be destroyed without it

on earth maybe you don't want to blow away your launchpad, but on mars who loving cares if some rocks get blown around

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

necrotic posted:

i think this was posted before but it goes into the steel plate idea and how bad it probably is. also touches on why he may be avoiding the standard approach beyond just “I’m smart”

https://youtu.be/mr1N9CcvKXM

finally watched this and it was pretty good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Zeroisanumber posted:

according to that common sense skeptic video the answer is because he refused to comply with the army corps of engineers' requirements and therefore can't build a traditional water deluge system

its a good video that also explains why the "steel pancake" thing they're building instead is a really stupid idea

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

musk is a genius

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

BattleMaster posted:

which is also a boneheaded idea because mars also won't have launch infrastructure that will be destroyed without it

on earth maybe you don't want to blow away your launchpad, but on mars who loving cares if some rocks get blown around

The rocks and dust kicking back up and destroying your engines can be a potential problem as the starship launch found out.

Edit: which btw is part of why the Apollo Lunar Module used the descent stage as a launch pad itself (along with it saving a lot of mass) so the engine didn't get wrecked by lunar dust.

Raldikuk has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Jun 11, 2023

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

euphronius posted:

beside the obvious point you've already addressed, Ye also made fun of Musk's beached-whale physique he showed off aboard that yacht, which of course the latter's going to hold a grudge about until his dying breath

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ye made fun of elon and thats crossing the line

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ted kaczynsky hates technology because it wasn't racist enough. He would have loved Musk

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Durf posted:

what

this sounds way more complicated than a water trench

also imagine going to mars trusting that SpaceX can somehow get you home first try lol

The AI robots on Mars that we send there prior to any manned mission will build all the infrastructure for us, including the landing/launch pads

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rodbeard posted:

Ted kaczynsky hates technology because it wasn't racist enough. He would have loved Musk

he cant hate anytihng now because he's dead.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Kanye did nothing some things wrong

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

nikosoft posted:

The AI robots on Mars that we send there prior to any manned mission will build all the infrastructure for us, including the landing/launch pads

This will be ready late next year

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ye made fun of elon and thats crossing the line

elon to kanye: mad?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Launching directly on a solid steel panel is actually a good thing as we know when energy or a force hits a surface it just stops existing

Ejecting pulverized cement into the lungs of locals wasn't enough; molten slag rain up next

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

the milk machine posted:

subaru just has the same sort of driver assistance stuff as other normal cars

Way back but so far my 22 Subaru's automatic braking has come on for a leaf, a pedestrian on the other side of a 4 lane road waiting on the sidewalk, and pulling up to a garage with a car parked inside it. Thanks Subaru.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sharknado slashfic posted:

Way back but so far my 22 Subaru's automatic braking has come on for a leaf, a pedestrian on the other side of a 4 lane road waiting on the sidewalk, and pulling up to a garage with a car parked inside it. Thanks Subaru.

honestly probably better that it's too sensitive rather than not sensitive enough, unless you have another car following too close

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

what is elon musk good at?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

toggle posted:

what is elon musk good at?

getting money from the government

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

mad?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

jealous tbh

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

same

musk ftl

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
mad!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

!!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

RandolphCarter posted:

getting money from the government
Matthew Lesko's greatest student

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1668003032259260422?t=P0BcM76L-0GuwDsiQAyXkw&s=19