Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

If my DLC purchases carry over, I'm totally fine with buying a "new" game every 4-5 years. But if it doesn't, ehhh. Not a hard pass but def. not interested at buying at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All things considered, whatever way they’ll go, this seems like a lovely way of introducing everyone to FS24

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mokotow posted:

All things considered, whatever way they’ll go, this seems like a lovely way of introducing everyone to FS24

Exactly, unfortunately. The actual content included in it looks amazing, but then they went and got very unclear about how this is all going to work, and it felt intentional because they know they are about to drop some sort of clarification that is going to be very unpopular.

quote:

Pursue your dream of an aviation career with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. This brand-new simulator is designed to take advantage of the latest technologies in simulation, cloud, machine learning, graphics and gaming to create the most sophisticated, immersive and awe-inspiring flight simulator of all time. To achieve this unprecedented level of accuracy, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is powered by the significantly evolved Asobo Studio engine.

Available day one on Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Xbox Cloud Gaming, Windows 10/11, and Steam. Coming 2024.

We look forward to sharing more information about Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 in the future.

That wording is not promising.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My prediction is that it will work like the 40th Anniversary edition where they sell/promote it as a new thing but there's an upgrade for existing owners and everything carries over. If this isn't how it works, then they've hosed up big time. But there's precedent for this already, and they have always maintained that MSFS will be a 10-year game, so I'm cautiously optimistic until proven otherwise.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The thing that irks me is they said repeatedly before MSFS 2020 came out, that they'd continue to support it and develop it for at least 10 years. If MSFS2024 is a continuation of that, I get to keep my DLC and I just need to pay 60 bucks or whatever for new content, I'm fine with it. If it's an entirely new game to the point that 2020 is gonna be left by the wayside, yeah, gently caress that noise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My prediction is that it will work like the 40th Anniversary edition where they sell/promote it as a new thing but there's an upgrade for existing owners and everything carries over. If this isn't how it works, then they've hosed up big time. But there's precedent for this already, and they have always maintained that MSFS will be a 10-year game, so I'm cautiously optimistic until proven otherwise.

That is how it needs to be done. I guess I can understand if technical limitations / hurdles just prevent that outright, but like, MSFS 2020 does not need a graphics overhaul or new systems. The sim is great as is. It just needs more casual content, which is what 2024 is adding, but should just be DLC.

Handsome Ralph posted:

The thing that irks me is they said repeatedly before MSFS 2020 came out, that they'd continue to support it and develop it for at least 10 years. If MSFS2024 is a continuation of that, I get to keep my DLC and I just need to pay 60 bucks or whatever for new content, I'm fine with it. If it's an entirely new game to the point that 2020 is gonna be left by the wayside, yeah, gently caress that noise.

This is my thought as well. I can understand paying a hefty price tag for DLC too, because sims are entirely different beasts from other games and sim DLC is just expensive across the board. That is just how it is, but to have MSFS2020 abandoned, just feels kinda bad right now. But maybe I will feel differently as we get closer to release.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems to me like they're improving the lighting a little, maybe improving terrain texture detail and some other graphical enhancements, and then they're adding a career mode with new planes/helicopters on top of that. I bet the graphical stuff will be a free update and the career mode will be a paid add-on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My hope is that this is basically just the next major upgrade to the underlying game, and they are calling it "2024" because that's what you have to do for marketing. The average person in Best Buy isn't going to get excited for Flight Simulator That You've Seen On The Shelf For Four Years *now with Sim Update 15! but they do understand how the FIFA games work.

Again, I don't actually mind having to buy it again after four years, because I'm an idiot who buys DCS planes and maps and am used to that model. But I sure hope it does maintain full backwards compatibility.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All these new things are showing a lot of character models and animations. It would be awesome to have realistic people movement on the tarmac and inside the airplane. It’s crazy what hacks plane and add-on devs had to use to animate basic movements.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Holy Shitsnacks.

Kinda glad I only bought 1 DLC for MSFS2020?

Hope they cleaned up some of the underlying codebase so we don't get another bunch of infant diseases, you know glass cockpits effectively halving your framerate.

I'm particularly stoked at the Tornado. I hope that they're upgragind their weather a fair bit. The 2020 clouds were impressive of course, but the weather systems was kind of limited in the end. For instance, if you set it to 'Storm', it wouldn't generate a storm cell somewhere in your area with clearly defined boundaries and weather effects, it'd just put an aternal thunderstorm all over the globe. I hope that they can now implement localized weather and the corresponding effects -- like a big angry CB cloud, with hail and rain in front of it, murderous up- and downdrafts below it, and so forth.

The focus on careers is a double-edged sword to me. Not having any sort of structured game mode was one of the biggest drawbacks of MSFS2020 (and most sims in general). However, they're basically cribbing everything the NeoFly guy had made. It's logical for them to do of course, but it still kinda must sting if you're the NeoFly developer.

I fear this is an instant sale for me, even if it looks like an extra-big DLC / sim update. I hope they're going the route of this being just a big DLC for 2020 where everything carries over instead of an entirely new release. I don't mind throwing them new money, I've got my money's worth out of the old one, but I don't want the marketplace to be screwed.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 11, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Mokotow posted:

It's spectacularly bad. It's such a blindingly stupid way to handle a launch that I assumed there was some kind of internal miscommunication and the community team had been caught by surprise and didn't have their posts with more info ready to go. But then one of them posted to the forums that they're "reading every post here and on other social media and we'll share more info in the future."

So apparently it was completely intentional.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
It will be a new game that you pay for. But all of the existing DLC will carry over.
And if I understand correctly, this sounds like it will have a "career mode" like thing that some of these mods that exist that give you missions to do.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Holy Shitsnacks.

Kinda glad I only bought 1 DLC for MSFS2020?

Hope they cleaned up some of the underlying codebase so we don't get another bunch of infant diseases, you know glass cockpits effectively halving your framerate.

I'm particularly stoked at the Tornado. I hope that they're upgragind their weather a fair bit. The 2020 clouds were impressive of course, but the weather systems was kind of limited in the end. For instance, if you set it to 'Storm', it wouldn't generate a storm cell somewhere in your area with clearly defined boundaries and weather effects, it'd just put an aternal thunderstorm all over the globe. I hope that they can now implement localized weather and the corresponding effects -- like a big angry CB cloud, with hail and rain in front of it, murderous up- and downdrafts below it, and so forth.

The focus on careers is a double-edged sword to me. Not having any sort of structured game mode was one of the biggest drawbacks of MSFS2020 (and most sims in general). However, they're basically cribbing everything the NeoFly guy had made. It's logical for them to do of course, but it still kinda must sting if you're the NeoFly developer.

I fear this is an instant sale for me, even if it looks like an extra-big DLC / sim update. I hope they're going the route of this being just a big DLC for 2020 where everything carries over instead of an entirely new release. I don't mind throwing them new money, I've got my money's worth out of the old one, but I don't want the marketplace to be screwed.

The NeoFly guy only really had a thing going because of the lack of a career mode in the first place, so I'm OK with them fixing this mistake. Besides, I'm sure other devs will still find ways to differentiate themselves with added missions.

And yeah if the DLC didn't carry over that would suck, but I think people are jumping the gun a little bit with so little information. Hopefully the outrage right now prompts them to clarify some things.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It's also worth mentioning that the last time MS announced a new flight simulator, millions of people died from a global pandemic not long after that.

Can't wait for the murder hornet asteroids that'll be here in 2024!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Optimist.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
looks like it still has the GOATed grand caravan so it’s probably good

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Steadiman posted:

drat the reactions on the official forums are insane. For some reason they're mostly furious about this but I can't see why, since literally nothing is known about it right now, they've already concluded no third party stuff is gonna work on it and microsoft will immediately drop all support for MSFS for some reason. It's been like an hour and they're mad Asobo hasnt communicated with them yet. Such entitlement, it's baffling.

There's reason to be concerned but I've come to understand that all gamers are loving insane. But SIM folks are loving insane. I mean remember when the first Flight Sim 2020 trailer dropped the hot takes were amazing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lord Stimperor posted:

Holy Shitsnacks.

Kinda glad I only bought 1 DLC for MSFS2020? .

I've only bought the 737-900, ATR, and a handful of sceneries in that sale in April (that I couldn't get on FlightSim.to, etc). I may have to reconsider the Bluebird 757 if, for some reason, it doesn't port over to the new game, which lains me as that airplane is sex on wings.

I bet everybody who's making DLC for this game to come out later this year into next year is thrilled.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've only bought the 737-900, ATR, and a handful of sceneries in that sale in April (that I couldn't get on FlightSim.to, etc). I may have to reconsider the Bluebird 757 if, for some reason, it doesn't port over to the new game, which lains me as that airplane is sex on wings.

I bet everybody who's making DLC for this game to come out later this year into next year is thrilled.

Since it's using the same engine as MSFS, 3rd party stuff should be largely compatible, although add-ons that rely heavily on custom coding (so basically everything not using stock gauges) will probably end up varying degrees of broken.

The same thing happened with FSX and various versions of Prepar3d, so developers who were used to those simulators should be pretty used to the general process.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Matt Booty just said on Giant Bomb's stream that FS24 is a whole new game. I had seen some confusion on various places whether it was just an addon or a new game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Matt Booty just said on Giant Bomb's stream that FS24 is a whole new game. I had seen some confusion on various places whether it was just an addon or a new game.

:sigh: I guess it is what it is, I will buy it like the little bitch that I am.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Asobo also confirmed that most 3rd party stuff will be compatible, including Marketplace purchases.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Making people buy a new game to continue getting updates is kind of lame when they were promising a 10-year game on the outset, but if your marketplace purchases carry over then I won't complain much.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

an-225 fire tanker :getin:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm assuming the 10 year thing was meant as how long they'd support it, not keep adding new stuff.

Prior versions of MSFS got nowhere near this much support (it was maybe one patch, then a new sim two years later), so if it ends up with 4 years of new content, that'll be pretty drat good.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Who is Matt Booty?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bedurndurn posted:

Who is Matt Booty?

He's the head of Xbox game studios. He was on with Phil Spencer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/

They say they'll continue delivering their roadmap items for FS 2020, which is interesting. Are they gonna update both at the same time to keep parity, or will these versions diverge? Are we gonna end up in a situation where FS2020 has some features/official content that FS2024 lacks?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How will optimization / system requirements be for FS2024? Is this going to be an even more system demanding sim? Also, please for love of gently caress asobo, do not use your own servers to make us download the sim. If we by on Steam, let us download the whole thing through Steam.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

They’ll be able to update both because FS2024 will be the equivalent of an expansion pack with a few new features as it’ll be basically just a continuation of 2020 but they want to sell it for $60 and also have the shield of “it’s a new game” when they make breaking changes to 2020 third party content.

(Maybe this is un generous but I bet it’s true since we’re playing FSX still kinda.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

They’ll be able to update both because FS2024 will be the equivalent of an expansion pack with a few new features as it’ll be basically just a continuation of 2020 but they want to sell it for $60 and also have the shield of “it’s a new game” when they make breaking changes to 2020 third party content.

(Maybe this is un generous but I bet it’s true since we’re playing FSX still kinda.)

You know what? I'm okay with that. I'll pay $60 or $70 for this because a career mode is something I've always wanted, and it seems like they're adding a ton of new stuff along with it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Hell of a thing to just drop this out of the blue on a Sunday and not be prepared to elaborate further, especially when this is one of the few games where there’s 3rd party dlc/mods that you have to pay for.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/

They say they'll continue delivering their roadmap items for FS 2020, which is interesting. Are they gonna update both at the same time to keep parity, or will these versions diverge? Are we gonna end up in a situation where FS2020 has some features/official content that FS2024 lacks?

Oh thank god, they'll keep supporting existing add-ons and content, I'm OK with this if they're adding a bunch of new game modes for the new version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Hell of a thing to just drop this out of the blue on a Sunday and not be prepared to elaborate further, especially when this is one of the few games where there’s 3rd party dlc/mods that you have to pay for.

It's not out of the blue, this is summer games fest.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

yeah its Not E3 season

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It will probably be a situation where the core sim is basically identical, with bugfixes and maybe even AAU/SU type feature additions/improvements going to both, but any new "content" like new free planes (A310 etc) will likely be '24 exclusive.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Depending on what new capabilities were added to the engine, it's possible that some things (like the "local legends" or "famous flyers") could be released on the marketplace for both sims.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Theris posted:

It will probably be a situation where the core sim is basically identical, with bugfixes and maybe even AAU/SU type feature additions/improvements going to both, but any new "content" like new free planes (A310 etc) will likely be '24 exclusive.
Considering they are saying it is powered by the "significantly evolved Asobo engine" I wouldn't be so sure.

I personally haven't bought payware add-ons, so my investment in 2020 is basically the cost of the game plus hardware controllers which will almost certainly work fine with the new game.

If it becomes a cool water-bomber sim, and maybe some sort of quasi economy for other flight modes, hell I'm all in. :cool:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Will we, I wonder, be able to simply set the loving cloud ceilings and visibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not guaranteeing continued operation of the existing (and thriving) MSFS third party market would be a misstep of absolutely staggering proportions. It just wouldn’t make any sense at all for them to do it that way from any point of view.

That said, I’d imagine that the lions share of work to be done to update existing addons to work with the new sim will be borne by the third party studios, which is going to be the real drama. If memory serves, PMDG for example has never supported an add-on through a sim change for free, despite some of those titles being pretty trivially different on the backend.

I think quite a few developers are going to get an ugly introduction to what their customers expect from them in the modern world.