Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xbox 2023 Showcase Recap

Fable (TBA) is revealed, with a lot of mediocre comedy and a cutscene that is "in engine" but all scripted acting and fundamentally not part of any actual real game so it's pointless to speculate. Day 1 on Gamepass.

South of Midnight (TBA) is the new game from Compulsion (We Happy Few, Contrast). Hey, I asked what they were up to and I got an answer. Well, no, not really. It's another CG trailer, this one meant to look like Spiderverse's choppier style. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Star Wars: Outlaws (2024) is Massive's take on the franchise full of perpetually depressing game adaptations. What is the game? I guess we'll find out later. It's the third trailer in a row that is purely CG trailer.

33 Immortals (2024) comes from Thunder Lotus (Spiritfarer), but unlike that game, this is a top-down action co-op game where you play alongside up to 32 other people. A game built on raiding?? It looks fine I guess, it's not really my thing. They don't show the UI which is kinda annoying. But it WAS gameplay (maybe third parties are allowed to show some). Day 1 on Gamepass.

Payday 3 (September 21) is more Payday. I guess I forgot that the Sony State of Play had multiple Payday-like/extraction shooters so I guess this is the AAA trend. Day 1 on Gamepass.

[timg][/timg]
Persona 3 Reloaded (Early 2024) already got leaked before the show (by Atlus themselves) but I guess Xbox still had to include it or it'd be weird. I'll also include Persona 5 Tactica (November 17) here, which was also leaked. For some reason they're going with the art style of Persona Q, which doesn't look that great on an HD screen. I guess it'll look ok on Switch or Steam Deck? But what a weird choice. Day 1 on Gamepass for both.

Avowed (2024) finally gets a full reveal from Obsidian. It's their take on the Elder Scrolls, set in the Pillars of Eternity universe. The combat looks kinda janky but that has never been Obsidian's strong suit. This is the first 1st-party trailer to have actual gameplay footage in it. Congratulations! Day 1 on Gamepass.

Sea of Thieves crosses over with Monkey Island (July 20th), and it does seem to have a full (canonical?) story, with all of the Monkey Island characters (and VAs from Return reprising their roles) and the humor seems about on point. But no gameplay again. I guess it's just Sea of Thieves gameplay anyway. But still!!

Flight Simulator 2024 is adding helicopters with search and rescue missions and cargo transport. Also agricultural aviation and air ambulance. Air racing, glider piloting, and skydive aviation?? But you don't get to do the skydiving I guess. Anyway, the point is, there are missions now. And content from DUNE??? Most of the trailer seemed like it was staged creations of what they expect gameplay to be like. But IDK it could've been real. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga (2024) showed an cutscene in its entirety. No gameplay. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth (Early 2024) revealed officially. For those worrying that Kiryu is Jay Leno-style hijacking the franchise, it's ok. Ichiban is running the show again. He's on a beach naked. There's no gameplay.

Fallout 76's
next content update will be taking you to Atlantic City. (so like... a couple of blocks of worthwhile activity and then just apartment buildings?) No date or anything. Not even footage of it. For gently caress's sake lol

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess (TBA) is a new Capcom IP set in a wuxia setting. It's by far the most creative game shown so far and it's not first-party. But that also means they showed at least a little gameplay. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Forza Motorsport (October 10)
announced GM cars. So I guess that's the first standalone game in this show actually coming out this year. It showed gameplay sorta. I mean in the way racing game trailers usually do where it's basically replay footage with lots of changing cameras. Day 1 on Gamepass.

More Elder Scrolls Online content... zzzzzzz Overwatch 2 showed a trailer for content in August. Why is this even here? Who cares? Even Overwatch fans hate Overwatch 2.

Starfield's (September 6) official trailer is a very E3 trailer. Lots of slow-mo running, cutscenes, establishing shots with epic music, and then 5 seconds of gameplay. Of course there's an actual Direct for the Starfield afterward which will have more. I'm watching it now. I don't really get why they built a thousand planets because most of them will be lifeless and empty, but what do you expect from the people who made Fallout 3? It still has the trademark 'stare straight at an NPC' conversations, and NPCs are completely lifeless with emotionless faces. Bizarre. There's a lot of systems in this game from ship building to outpost building and management. Day 1 on Gamepass, so, what the hell I'll give it a try I guess.

Jusant (Fall) is a stylistic and fantastical mountain climbing adventure/exploration game by Don't Nod. Demo available. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Still Wakes the Deep (2024) is the next first-person cinematic project by The Chinese Room (Dear Esther, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture). This one is leaning more in a horror direction set on an oil rig... hopefully it's a hell of a lot better than their last horror game (Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs). Day 1 on Gamepass.

Dungeons of Hinterberg (2024) is a mix of dungeon crawling, hack-and-slash, and snowboarding. By first-time developer Microbird Games. Looked neat although the combat seemed slightly janky. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (September 26) is an expansion to the original game that will hopefully be significantly less buggy at launch than the base game. Not much gameplay shown, but, we know how this one plays already. Idris Elba is in it I guess.

Cities Skylines II (October 24) looks very pretty, I'll give it that. The trailer didn't do much to explain what they're iterating on. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Metaphor Re Fantazio (2024) is a new RPG from Atlus, and the game that the former director of Persona has been working on this whole time. He's the dipshit that put all the gay panic/transphobic jokes in the Persona games, so, I'm sure the theming/story of this game will just go down real smooth. It is, of course, pretty and stylistic like Persona games, but with a traditional fantasy RPG setting that just happens to have demons in it.

Towerborne (2024) is a co-op brawler (roguelite?) that comes from the devs of The Banner Saga trilogy. No hand-drawn animation this time :( It might be GAAS? The store page mentions seasonal content and an "ever changing world". Seems like a weird fit for a game whose gameplay looks kind of simplistic. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Clockwork Revolution (TBA) is a Victorian Steampunk FPS with time travel and time powers by..... inXile????? (Wasteland series) That's a legitimate surprise. There was some actual gameplay shown here. Day 1 on Gamepass.

----

As a showcase, that was... really strange. Not bad, just strange. In Japan the 90s were considered the Lost Generation, and I invoke that in a cursed way here to refer to the current generation of games consoles (bad taste? of course, everyone knows my taste is bad). For the AAA side of the industry, every year has been Next Year. And it's happening again. Aside from two major releases, a lot of Xbox's first-party portfolio is targetting next year. Just as we've seen year after year, show after show for Sony and Microsoft. It's something that used to be a big problem with the Xbox 360 era, but it had gotten better with the PS4 and Xbox One... but now dates are slipping away again and again, as games get delayed and delayed and delayed. So like.. yeah, there's some neat stuff today (although a lot of it comes from the third-party developers), but it's all a year away. And when we get to this time next year... will those games still be on track? I just don't know.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I was hoping Avowed would turn out to be more of an Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalislike (kinda got that vibe after the first teaser), but then they showed the sky

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
New games are cool and good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm still hoping for Pillars of Eternity 3 :(

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Silica looks promising. It's yet another attempt at the RTS/FPS hybrid game like Natural Selection but on a larger map with tanks and harvesters ala Command and Conquer.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm still hoping for Pillars of Eternity 3 :(

Tyranny 2 :(

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The two things about TOW that were bad - the world/universe/concept/whatever (and by association the writing) and the obvious lack of budget for more stuff - shouldn't be a problem with Avowed, so I'm very excited. I don't expect it at all to be an expansive Elder Scrolls style game so much as a more compact/dense and with more authored storytelling. Anything to get me back to exploring more of Eora is day 1 in my book.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Xbox 2023 Showcase Recap

Fable (TBA) is revealed, with a lot of mediocre comedy and a cutscene that is "in engine" but all scripted acting and fundamentally not part of any actual real game so it's pointless to speculate. Day 1 on Gamepass.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol they are still making Fallout 76 content?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Congratulations on recognizing a face?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wait, is it actually supposed to be him? I didn't watch the trailer or anything

e; or I guess is it just like they have an actor playing a character like Giancarlo Esposito played a Far Cry baddie

double edit; like Fable Fable, right?

or is this some unrelated game with the same name

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 11, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

PowerBeard posted:

New games are cool and good.

i disagree, i think we all need to take at least a year break from releasing new games as there are too many already

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The more I think about it, the Fable reveal was probably the biggest let down. The game has been in development forever and there is still nothing to show for it.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

Metaphor Re Fantazio (2024) is a new RPG from Atlus, and the game that the former director of Persona has been working on this whole time. He's the dipshit that put all the gay panic/transphobic jokes in the Persona games, so, I'm sure the theming/story of this game will just go down real smooth. It is, of course, pretty and stylistic like Persona games, but with a traditional fantasy RPG setting that just happens to have demons in it.

Katsura Hashino, the former director in question, at least had major roles on other Atlus games that range from fine to pretty good and skip over sex, sexuality, and gender. Like SMT3, Digital Devil Saga, or Soul Hackers 1. I'm sure he won't be able to resist going back to poison that well again, but if he is kept away from it, well, that'd be nice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars Outlaws gameplay will be shown off tomorrow? I am excited for that, but also I would be lying if I wasn't very hesitant about it since this is UBISoft.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr.Acula posted:

i disagree, i think we all need to take at least a year break from releasing new games as there are too many already

either that or I need to get fired AND rich so i can work through my backlog

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I mean, yes, that is literally him in the game. Same actor.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Another Payday, another poo poo ton of DLC.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In case anybody is wondering, Richard Ayoade (the IT Crowd) is the guy from that Fable trailer.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You can't fool me. The British comedian is definitely David Mitchell

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scalding Coffee posted:

Another Payday, another poo poo ton of DLC.

I sincerely hope PD3 isn't poo poo but I'm not entirely optimistic.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

You can't fool me. The British comedian is definitely David Mitchell
no he's the author

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

It's just the centrist-rear end 2016-rear end "capitalism is bad but probably we can fix it" writing that betrays it.

The problem was the whole premise and setting was "what if turbocapitalism won for centuries and nobody could think about anything else, and also everyone's a Futurama-esque idiot and wacky" followed immediately by "never mind"

Either do that or don't, guys. If they had gone all in it would have been a lot better for it

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

aas Bandit posted:

I really wanted to like this, and there are some interesting mechanics and nice changes from typical Souls-likes happening here, such as dropping your souls outside the boss arena, which is super friendly and frees you up to wander around and do something else and/or not worry about how many souls you have going in.

That being said, something about the movement, especially while locked on, just feels clumsy to me. The dodge feels like there's a slight delay before anything happens and it seems like the window is more demanding, and the block feels bad as well.

I know there's an "exact timing" mechanic for both of those things, and my stats were maybe crap for it (str build), but I never seemed to hit the sweet spot. I wasn't a real fan of that in Sekiro, so maybe this just isn't the game for me.

Hmm, I do think I know what you're talking about.

I went back and tried a str build and I have to admit that, compared to the rapier (which was my initial primary), the greatsword did have a bit of stiffness to it that felt a bit strangely unnatural, like there are a lot of forced recovery frames before you can dodge/move than one would expect considering the swing is long over, and it also had some oddities like not being able to cancel the charge move midway (if you let go midway, instead of swinging with a no charge swing, it'll still make you wait the whole time and do a no charge swing in the end instead of a full charge).

I also agree that the dodge has an almost imperceptible yet somehow noticeable delay for activation (most likely due to the button having double-duty for dash/dodge and it needs to determine which) and the block/parry timing was a bit tricky, especially with the strange animations from the robotic enemies, but it didn't take me too long to get used to it as it was quite similar. I also think the dodge is both a bit tighter in terms of invulnerability and much shorter range than usual, and when combined with the boss battle's relentless pressure and the feeling of difficulty when trying to disengage (sometimes I swear I'd be trying to sprint away and the sprint would take forever to start up), it could feel a bit stiff.

But all in all, it didn't take me that long to get used to its slight differences. I agree that some of the differences are a bit clunky and not as slick as a From Soft game and it certainly ain't perfect, but for the most part I liked it and found that some of the changes, like the reduced dodge distance and difficulty to disengage from bosses, might feel oppressive but I felt like it added more of engagement to the combat by forcing you to not be able to run around and instead get good at dueling/blocking/dodging with intention, and it opened up some weapon attacks like the rapier's backstep attack which becomes much more useful when the dodge isn't as powerful.

Guess we'll see what happens. I'm quite surprised as usually I'm the first to nitpick clones and their shabby attempts (how did people love Fallen Order so much when it was so janky for me, for instance), but here it's a flip-flop where I'm actually quite positive and everyone else seems to be having difficulties. At the end of the day, From Soft is a tough act to follow and is definitely prone to having imitators being directly compared under a microscope, I suppose.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Kunitsu-Gami looks absolutely bonkers though I have no idea how it's supposed to play. Metaphor: ReFantazio's trailer actually hooked me, mind-blowing visuals and the setting seems interesting, too. Clockwork Revolution literally looks to be Bioshock Infinite: Steampunk Edition and I'll be glad if it turns out well.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Book Walker demo was good, very curious how big this game is, but the one story was pretty interesting and I like the different perspectives for in and out of the book. Also some light combat I wasn't expecting and some crafting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PC Gaming Show 2023 Recap

Frostpunk 2 (2024) will make you and your town's citizens suffer, again. I guess they got the memo from the Xbox event though because it was all CG, no gameplay.

Teardown is introducting Creative Mode, which allows you to create all sorts of 3D voxel scenes to then blow the gently caress up. Arrives June 15th. Ebenezer and the Invisible World is a Metroidvania that for some reason makes Scrooge the good guy hero, who can summon ghosts of various times of Christmas, by the developer of Retro Machina. Demo available now.

DORF (TBA) is a retro RTS that looks a heck of a lot like the C&C games, and may even be built on OpenRA?

Sulfur is a first-person roguelike (this might be the first time I can use "like" and not "lite" all week?) dungeon crawler with guns and a very Sokpoppy looking art style.

Saleblazers (September 29th in Early Access) is an open world action-heavy survival shopkeeper game where you build your shop up from scratch. The look of it doesn't seem completely cohesive but I've seen gameplay of this in the past (when it was in a much rougher state) and it seems promising to me. If it's the game I'm thinking of, I like that you can use any resource you pick up as a weapon.

Pax Dei is an open world fantasy MMO, good luck folks! You're getting on the Titanic after it's already sank to the bottom of the sea. Stampede: Racing Reformed (TBA) is a kart racing battle royale by Sumo (Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed)

Mars Horizon 2 (2024) is a strategy simulation game with base building (because you gotta), rocket designing, staff and mission planning and of course, launching those rockets into space. By Auroch Digital (WH40K: Boltgun, Brewmaster). Islands of Insight (TBA) is an online open world puzzle game that looks like a straight-up tribute to Cyan Worlds' Myst Online/URU. Hell yeah. I don't care if it sucks, I'm gonna play it.

Mariachi Legends (TBA) is a gorgeous looking side-scrolling action game about a detective making a deal with Lady Death, with a style combining Mexican and Japanese influences, by the developer of 9 Years of Shadow. The dev also claims to be inspired by Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. Big ones to namedrop!

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin is an action-RTS in the franchise I'll never understand, by Frontier Developments (The Great War: Western Front, Planet Coaster/Zoo). Open beta in July.

Citizen Sleeper 2: Starward Vector (TBA) is revealed, with an entirely cinematic trailer. But, we know how it's going to play. A lot of dice rolls, a lot of choices to make.

Critter Cove (TBA) is a cozy life sim with some Wind Wakery sailing to islands and finding people to bring back to your home town. It actually looked kinda decent to me.

They showed an AI game. Not covering it. gently caress them for showing it. After that, they showed Road to Vostok, a hardcore FPS survival game set in the border zone between Finland and Russia. Diesel Legacy is a 2v2 fighter that has a stage with depth. Has rollback. Not sure what the depth of the stage really adds personally. By the developer of God of Rock (which has Mixed reviews on Steam). Open beta available now.

Dread Pilots (2024) is a new exploratory top-down spaceship game by Klei Entertainment (Don't Starve, Mark of the Ninja) where you drive a slow space truck

Undead Inc (TBA) is a resource management sim about running a medical corporation at the end of the world. The look of it makes me think "more complex Fallout Shelter" but what do I know. I'm just going off screenshots. The trailer was just a cartoon with a Steve Blum soundalike.

Altered Alma (TBA) is a futuristic Metroidvania about robot twins by 2Awesome (Dimension Drive, AK-XOLOTL, Aeon Drive).

Invector: Rhythm Galaxy (July 14) is moving past just Avicii and on to many other popular artists. The Invincible is about a planetside expedition gone wrong, and you trying to figure out just what the hell happened. I've played the demo for it but it was VERY short.

Parcel Corps looks to be a bicycle parkour delivery game?? That's kinda cool. Pathfinder: Gallowspire is a Vampire Survivors clone set in the Pathfinder universe by BKOM (Sunday Gold).

Chimera (TBA) is from the developer of Green Hell. The trailer was just CG. Perhaps when the store page goes up I will know what kind of game it is! (the store page went up. the screenshots were just from the trailer. lol) Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew (August 17) is the latest real-time stealth tactics game by the developer of Shadow Tactics and Desperado III (yes I've mentioned it a couple of times already). Demo available at Next Fest.

From the developer of Exo One comes a realistically simulated interplanetary rally game, called... Exo Rally Championship (TBA). Fortune's Run (September 1st) is an absolutely sick looking retro shooter and slasher.

Jorel's Brother And the Most Important Game in the Galaxy (June 15) is a point and click adventure with very Cartoon Network-looking visuals, because... well.. it's a Cartoon Network game. Apparently based on a Brazillian cartoon? Any Brazillian nerds wanna.. wanna chime in? Hello? Gaucho and the Grasslands (September) is a life sim with a focus on animal breeding.

Revival: Recolonization (June 28) is a 4X game where the rules of the world can change at key moments. Ember Knights is a co-op action roguelite coming out of Early Access on July 18th.

Vampire Survivors is getting a randomizer mode, and a Twitch mode where you connect your account and I guess chat can gently caress with you maybe? Update goes live tomorrow.

Terratech Worlds (TBA) has you building a giant-rear end rover and then going on planetary expeditions with your friends and building stuff. Looks like an ok gently caress-around game. Macabre (2023) is a co-op stealth extraction shooter (boy this trend is not going away, huh) about travelling to different timelines, including those of other players. Demo at Next Fest.

Earthless (2024) is just an animated trailer. Hey, devs? I'm not wishlisting a story teaser. Tell me what your game is. Going to the store page, it looks to be a deckbuilder roguelite.. Devs, I'm only doing this for the sake of the thread, I guarantee 99% of the viewers aren't looking your game up. Nova Roma (2024) is a city builder by the dev of Kingdoms & Castles and has a similar style to it, albeit in a different time and place, obviously.

Last Train Home (TBA) is a post-WW1 RTS based on real history. The trailer mixed live-action with actual game footage which I thought was cute, but. My Friendly Neighborhood (July 18) is a horror game for streamers to entertain children with where puppets are trying to kill you. These games aren't for actual people. They're for content creation.

F1 Manager 2023 (July 31) is... another one of those. Breathedge 2 (TBA) is actually set on a planet, but I'm sure it'll have the same extremely crass and unfunny humor.

Bloomtown: A Different Story (TBA) is a JRPG with monster raising designed to look like a cozy life sim. Honestly? I'm into it. And it's by the dev of Graveyard Keeper, so... it's probably going to be very good! Sand (TBA), not to be confused with Sand Land, is an open-world PVPVE FPS with giant stompy vehicles by Ukrainian developer Hologryph (Party Hard 2, Secret Neighbor).

Dune: Awakening is the upcoming survival MMO by Funcom, developer of past MMOs Conan Exiles and The Secret World. I think it's fair to say it'll play more like the former than the latter. The first gameplay was shown. It looks like... an MMO! Incredible. Naheulbeuk's Dungeon Master (TBA)'s influence should be obvious. But would it sweeten the deal if I mention this is by the developer of... Garfield Kart?? Yeah I thought so.

----

Folks I want you to know I suffered for this one. That was the most Doug Walker-rear end unfunny E3 show in years, and not in the fun way. Take the AI bit from the Devolver Show, and do the same jokes for 2 hours, BUT THEN ALSO SHOW A GAME POWERED BY AI. PC Gamer has no soul, and they certainly have no sense of humor.

Which sucks because the actual games shown were often pretty interesting in my opinion! But. I'm not watching this showcase next year if they do the constant skits.

e: vvvvv Nope!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 11, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

no homeworld 3 news?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If Avowed lets me be a Bleak Walker with a blunderbuss who terminators his way through every quest and dialog? GoTY

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

no mans skyrim

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sebmojo posted:

no mans skyrim

Take my money!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

My Friendly Neighborhood (July 18) is a horror game for streamers to entertain children with where puppets are trying to kill you. These games aren't for actual people. They're for content creation.

Iunno, I thought it looked fun.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Garfield Kart Racers is pretty good but I wish there was a Heathcliff version

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Garfield Kart Racers is pretty good but I wish there was a Heathcliff version

One day, perhaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeAvT3RRGhc

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

no homeworld 3 news?

Since FIG has gone under, isn't Homeworld 3 trapped.?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Needs Garbage Ape

Eason the Fifth posted:

If Avowed lets me be a Bleak Walker with a blunderbuss who terminators his way through every quest and dialog? GoTY

Same but cipher

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Jusant (Fall) is a stylistic and fantastical mountain climbing adventure/exploration game by Don't Nod. Demo available. Day 1 on Gamepass.

Just finished this demo; it's probably because I love to climb irl but this seems exceptionally cool. Controls felt pretty intuitive for the most part, although if you fall you're kinda stuck figuring out some of the other controls before the tutorial tells you about them :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FutureCop posted:

This demo made me realize that I want a Souls game with the souls combat ripped out and replaced with Darksiders 2 combat instead, and no other changes.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

I went back and tried a str build and I have to admit that, compared to the rapier (which was my initial primary), the greatsword did have a bit of stiffness to it that felt a bit strangely unnatural, like there are a lot of forced recovery frames before you can dodge/move than one would expect considering the swing is long over, and it also had some oddities like not being able to cancel the charge move midway (if you let go midway, instead of swinging with a no charge swing, it'll still make you wait the whole time and do a no charge swing in the end instead of a full charge).

I also agree that the dodge has an almost imperceptible yet somehow noticeable delay for activation (most likely due to the button having double-duty for dash/dodge and it needs to determine which) and the block/parry timing was a bit tricky, especially with the strange animations from the robotic enemies, but it didn't take me too long to get used to it as it was quite similar. I also think the dodge is both a bit tighter in terms of invulnerability and much shorter range than usual, and when combined with the boss battle's relentless pressure and the feeling of difficulty when trying to disengage (sometimes I swear I'd be trying to sprint away and the sprint would take forever to start up), it could feel a bit stiff.

But all in all, it didn't take me that long to get used to its slight differences. I agree that some of the differences are a bit clunky and not as slick as a From Soft game and it certainly ain't perfect, but for the most part I liked it and found that some of the changes, like the reduced dodge distance and difficulty to disengage from bosses, might feel oppressive but I felt like it added more of engagement to the combat by forcing you to not be able to run around and instead get good at dueling/blocking/dodging with intention, and it opened up some weapon attacks like the rapier's backstep attack which becomes much more useful when the dodge isn't as powerful.

Guess we'll see what happens. I'm quite surprised as usually I'm the first to nitpick clones and their shabby attempts (how did people love Fallen Order so much when it was so janky for me, for instance), but here it's a flip-flop where I'm actually quite positive and everyone else seems to be having difficulties. At the end of the day, From Soft is a tough act to follow and is definitely prone to having imitators being directly compared under a microscope, I suppose.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the thoughtful response/sanity check. Appreciated. :) I might try the final product again to see how it feels. As far as this goes:

FutureCop posted:

here it's a flip-flop where I'm actually quite positive and everyone else seems to be having difficulties

...I got the impression that most people ITT were liking it quite a bit and I'm an outlier? I wasn't really counting responses or anything, so I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've seen more negative impressions than positive and i'm beginning to suspect that the STR builds' sluggishness might be a factor. i stuck with the basic saber all the way through and didn't have any issues with movement, though the final boss of the demo wrecked me like a dozen times before i finally limped through