Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pretty much everything on the market will last you a full day of moderate use and pretty much all of it performs well.

We have such an abundance of SoC capability now. Nothing has really mattered for like 4 or 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Just learned that if you put your apps in "Deep Sleeping Apps" that it doesn't get updates and you have to either remove it from the list or enable it in the Google Play Store. Sometimes apps that you do not use for a long time automatically get put on this list.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I am having a battery issue. My phone will go from 100% to 40% in literally 2 minutes. If I restart, the battery percentage will increase to 55%, but then resume draining until it's at 0% in another 2 minutes. If I plug a charger in, it will charge very rapidly, going from 40% back up to 100% in a few minutes.

Does anyone know what's going on? Or even what I should research? Everything I see online is like "check your apps and screen brightness" which is very much not what's happening here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I am having a battery issue. My phone will go from 100% to 40% in literally 2 minutes. If I restart, the battery percentage will increase to 55%, but then resume draining until it's at 0% in another 2 minutes. If I plug a charger in, it will charge very rapidly, going from 40% back up to 100% in a few minutes.

Does anyone know what's going on? Or even what I should research? Everything I see online is like "check your apps and screen brightness" which is very much not what's happening here.

That sounds like a dead battery, not a drain issue. If it was actually draining a full battery that far in 2 minutes it would be on fire.

How old is the phone?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

That sounds like a dead battery, not a drain issue. If it was actually draining a full battery that far in 2 minutes it would be on fire.

How old is the phone?

I just bought it like 3 months ago :(

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I just bought it like 3 months ago :(

Your phone either has completely lost the ability to track the current capacity of the battery is is cutting off charging waaaaaaaay too early, or the battery is dead. Your phone may have a way to reset the battery history in fastboot, but if that doesn't fix it it's probably an RMA.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Warranty that thing

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

In an extremely rare occurrence, after a software update on my OnePlus 11 yesterday it now has the same security patch as my Pixel 7 Pro. May! :classiclol:

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Ended up returning my Pixel 7a.

Since it was plastic I was hoping to use it without case but I could not get over how ugly it looked with all sides littered with antenna stripes that somehow are really noticeable. And if I put it on the table next to my 2 year old phone that cost less than 300 euros when new, the screen looked worse, even if I tried to match the brightness it was more washed out and had greenish colour cast I could not get rid of.

Yeah, the camera was a bit better. I guess. Not much though, and in some cases I’d say worse. Missed tele lens.

Weight and thickness were annoying. Despite it being smaller, I think that thickness (especially camera bump) made it exactly as annoying to stuff into pockets than my current super thin and light phone (Mi 11 Lite 5G). Android Auto quirks and slow charging (close to 2 hours?) were last draw.

Same amount of memory and storage as old phone and the price is 500 euros. Just not worth it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Since it was plastic I was hoping to use it without case but I could not get over how ugly it looked with all sides littered with antenna stripes that somehow are really noticeable. And if I put it on the table next to my 2 year old phone that cost less than 300 euros when new, the screen looked worse, even if I tried to match the brightness it was more washed out and had greenish colour cast I could not get rid of.

Yeah, the camera was a bit better. I guess. Not much though, and in some cases I’d say worse. Missed tele lens.

Weight and thickness were annoying. Despite it being smaller, I think that thickness (especially camera bump) made it exactly as annoying to stuff into pockets than my current super thin and light phone (Mi 11 Lite 5G). Android Auto quirks and slow charging (close to 2 hours?) were last draw.

Same amount of memory and storage as old phone and the price is 500 euros. Just not worth it

Powerful username/post synergy here.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So while my phone was being fixed, I was using my backup phone a MI A2. Do they still make phones like that anymore even though it’s been off for 3 years it still seems like a nicer phone, maybe I just miss android.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

sbaldrick posted:

So while my phone was being fixed, I was using my backup phone a MI A2. Do they still make phones like that anymore even though it’s been off for 3 years it still seems like a nicer phone, maybe I just miss android.

I just switched from my trusty old MiA2 to a Pixel 6a half a year ago. After spending quite some time looking for cheaper alternatives.
And they feel pretty similar in most things. Main difference being the higher price and water tightness.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/massive-leak-details-google-pixel-8-pro-camera-upgrades

quote:

With the Pixel 6 in 2021, Google switched to the 50MP ISOCELL GN1 sensor for the primary camera and continued with it for its 2021 Pixel 7 lineup. But for the upcoming Pixel 8 lineup, the company will reportedly switch to a newer ISOCELL GN2 offering from Samsung, which is about 35% bigger.

This should lead to a substantial increase in light intake, thereby helping low-light imaging and dynamic range. More importantly, the sensor supports Staggered HDR, which allows the camera to simultaneously take a long and short exposure shot, reducing motion blur and ghosting. Rumors of the Pixel 8 using Staggered HDR first popped up in December 2022.

While the ISOCELL GN3 and Tensor G3 chip support 8K video recording, Google is unlikely to add support for it on its 2023 Pixels due to thermal constraints.

quote:

This is not the only camera hardware upgrade Google is planning for the Pixel 8 series. The upcoming Pixel 8 Pro will reportedly use the 64MP Sony IMX787 sensor as its ultrawide camera, which is about twice the size of the Pixel 7 Pro's 12MP ultrawide shooter. Android Authority's source claims the field-of-view will also become wider at 0.49x vs. 0.56x previously.

its_happening.gif

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Annoyed that the smaller model is getting degraded in the camera dept even further though. I was kinda hoping to have a normal Pixel 8 to complement the Fold. Guess I'll go with them Pro again (at least the display will be flat.)

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Since it was plastic I was hoping to use it without case but I could not get over how ugly it looked with all sides littered with antenna stripes that somehow are really noticeable.

I got the 7a as well and was also a bit underwhelmed by it (coming from a Pixel 5). The plastic on the back feels a lot cheaper than I was expecting, and I missed the fingerprint sensor being on the back more than I thought I would.

The battery life also seems pretty lovely for a brand new phone? Right now it's at 92% and is giving me an estimated 7 hours remaining. It's not like I'm playing games on this thing either—just a bit of Twitter and Tiktok throughout the day. Pretty sure my Pixel 5 did a lot better than that when it was new.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Got a S23 recently and I'm not impressed. It's basically worse than my old S10e in every way except the 120hz. They had 4 years to work on it and they charge a lot more for it. Unbelievable.

Why is the fingerprint sensor so loving bad and how can I make it actually work? And why the gently caress did they not keep using the S10e's combined power button + fingerprint sensor on the side of the phone? That one actually worked pretty well and let you unlock the phone instantly without loving around on the screen itself.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Fairly certain most of the boneheaded decisions OEMs make are the result of very vocal tech reviewers demanding “more advanced” ways of doing things over “old” methods that just worked better. Having any kind of a bezel on a screen is derided, they want in-screen fingerprint readers, everything needs a ton of cameras, anything less than a 120 Hz display is treated as garbage or something only for poor people phones, folding devices and in-screen cameras are the next things that are being demanded. As far as I can tell this is entirely driven by the youtube tech enthusiast reviwer crowd, because if something is a truly iterative update or just fixes some design issues with the previous model, it’s seen as resting on their laurels and stagnation.

IMO we don’t need annual revisions to devices, and definitely don’t need annual major updates to operating systems, but if they don’t then they get blasted by reviewers which filters out to the more general public.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PirateBob posted:

Got a S23 recently and I'm not impressed. It's basically worse than my old S10e in every way except the 120hz. They had 4 years to work on it and they charge a lot more for it. Unbelievable.

Why is the fingerprint sensor so loving bad and how can I make it actually work? And why the gently caress did they not keep using the S10e's combined power button + fingerprint sensor on the side of the phone? That one actually worked pretty well and let you unlock the phone instantly without loving around on the screen itself.

i have an S23U and it literally has the best in screen fingerprint sensor ive used, which include the S10+, the S21U and the Pixel 7 before this.

i registered each thumb twice and have maybe one misread a week, which puts it ahead of my iPad Mini which uses a power button sensor like the one on the S10e.

works on my machine, OP

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HelixFox posted:

I got the 7a as well and was also a bit underwhelmed by it (coming from a Pixel 5). The plastic on the back feels a lot cheaper than I was expecting, and I missed the fingerprint sensor being on the back more than I thought I would.

The battery life also seems pretty lovely for a brand new phone? Right now it's at 92% and is giving me an estimated 7 hours remaining. It's not like I'm playing games on this thing either—just a bit of Twitter and Tiktok throughout the day. Pretty sure my Pixel 5 did a lot better than that when it was new.

The battery life on the Pixel 5 was tremendous. It's one of the few things I'm disappointed with in the Pixel 7. There's just no touching those midrange SoCs for power efficiency.

Or is there?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The in screen fingerprint reader is awesome actually. I don't even have my fingers double registered and I never have misreads.

You'll get used to it and be able to unlock without looking just as fast as you did with the side button.

I've had every other galaxy since the 5 and the 23 is an improvement in every way. Maybe it's cause I have the ultra but I could never imagine wanting a 10 over this phone.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The battery life on the Pixel 5 was tremendous. It's one of the few things I'm disappointed with in the Pixel 7. There's just no touching those midrange SoCs for power efficiency.

Or is there?

My OnePlus 11 will run for 2 days and get nearly 10 hours of screen-on time. Then recharge back to full in about 25 minutes. It is noticeably better than my Pixel 7 Pro that needs to be charged every night or it won't make it through the next day.

If Google can fix their display power draw issue and bring Tensor G3 up to modern efficiency, I think Pixel 8 could end the battery life woes that so many people notice. But hey, it's Google so they'll do that and then break the modem or something and negate their own improvements. :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

i have an S23U and it literally has the best in screen fingerprint sensor ive used, which include the S10+, the S21U and the Pixel 7 before this.

i registered each thumb twice and have maybe one misread a week, which puts it ahead of my iPad Mini which uses a power button sensor like the one on the S10e.

works on my machine, OP

Weird. I get 5/5 misreads at least a third of the time. I'll try re-registering (again).

Another thing I don't like is the screen brightness using Adaptive. It's darker than the S10e. Suspect this is to bump up the mediocre battery life. Is there a tweak for this somewhere? Like multiplying default adaptive brightness by 1.10x or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Same with me, same with me.

I find Samsung's ultrasonic implementation unusable.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

sbaldrick posted:

I had a Mi A1 for a long time and the charm for me was that it was nearly untouched AOSP. The pixels have googled it up quite a bit, but you can install vanilla aosp with the android flashing tool if you really crave that no frills experience.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I have a s23 and had a s10 and the only times I had issues with the fingerprint reader were when my fingers where sopping wet, like if I had just washed my hands and didn't dry them. Otherwise even if they're damp they work very well

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Damp is the only time the ultrasonic works for me.

P7P pretty much works under all conditions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed that my Pixel 7 gets pretty warm if I'm traveling in a car. I haven't checked if it happens when I'm connected to Android Auto, but if it's in my pocket, I'll often feel it heat up. Nothing seems to be using an unusual amount of battery (except phone idle is still almost 20% even when I'm in a good signal area). Is this something I should reach out to Google for help with (I know their first answer is going to be "factory reset", which is such a pain in the rear end) or is there something I can try on my own first?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My S23U does as well, it's just doing more work connected to Android Auto running maps and anything else.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

My S23U does as well, it's just doing more work connected to Android Auto running maps and anything else.

I guess I wasn't clear. I've noticed this only when not using Android Auto. It may be happening while I'm using AA also, but I haven't checked.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

hooah posted:

I've noticed that my Pixel 7 gets pretty warm if I'm traveling in a car. I haven't checked if it happens when I'm connected to Android Auto, but if it's in my pocket, I'll often feel it heat up. Nothing seems to be using an unusual amount of battery (except phone idle is still almost 20% even when I'm in a good signal area). Is this something I should reach out to Google for help with (I know their first answer is going to be "factory reset", which is such a pain in the rear end) or is there something I can try on my own first?

Check if being connect to or near a specific bluetooth device causes your battery eating.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

VictualSquid posted:

Check if being connect to or near a specific bluetooth device causes your battery eating.

Hmmm. The only possibilities are my Galaxy Watch4 Classic or Pixel Buds Pro (which usually aren't connected). I guess I'll try leaving my watch at home the next time I'm out and about.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you have bad battery life on your S23 something may be wrong with your device, network (if you're off WiFi a lot) and/or software settings. What is draining your battery most?

As for the fingerprint reader, yep, it's still unreliable for me. Some days I get no misreads at all, other times it fails 4 times in a row for no discernible reason. On the other hand (not literally), it's still better than the godawful Synaptics reader on my ThinkPad that only registers correctly maybe 1/4 attempts, so it could be worse!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

eXXon posted:

If you have bad battery life on your S23 something may be wrong with your device, network (if you're off WiFi a lot) and/or software settings. What is draining your battery most?

I don't think it's particularly bad. But it seems to drain up to 10% per hour of listening to Spotify with the screen off. That's exactly how it was on my aging S10e as well. Nothing too bad, but you'd wish for something a bit better.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I've found the ultrasonic sensor in the Galaxy to be just as good and fast as the sensors mounted in the back and the power button. The Pixel 7's was definitely "slow" but not "don't get this phone the sensor is unusable" slow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not that the Galaxy is unusable slow, it's unusable because it refuses to recognize my finger.

It's a struggle for the ultrasonic even to complete enrollment.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

It's not that the Galaxy is unusable slow, it's unusable because it refuses to recognize my finger.

It's a struggle for the ultrasonic even to complete enrollment.

that's not typical behavior

maybe you got freak fingers

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

that's not typical behavior

maybe you got freak fingers

Oh, I'm sure I do. Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't work for me.

My theory is that they are just larger than average based on the number of people complaining about being blinded by optical sensors and I've never once seen the illumination of the sensor beyond a fingertip glow in 4 years of using them.

When the S series went to a slightly larger sensor between the Note 20+ and the S21 it got slightly better. Maybe if they ever implement the full screen sensor things will finally be fine.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
Do you have a screen protector? Apparently the ultrasonic ones don't really work very well with some.

Anybody have any idea why my S23 only seems to connect to my monitor using USB-C like 5% of the time? I really like Dex, but this makes it basically unusable. Other devices can connect just fine, so I hope it gets fixed in some future update.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is the S23 supposed to charge just 0.7% per minute with quick charge turned off? Using a brand new 25w cabled charger. Thought it'd be wise to have that turned off to preserve battery lifetime but this is pretty slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seems about right if a little on the slow side (though it depends on what your current battery level is.) If you turn off fast charging on an S23, it maxes out at 9w.

With fast charging on, it will max out at either 15w or 25w depending on if your charger is PPS or not.