Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I don't know why people would rather use Patreon than Stripe, both of them take almost zero effort to set up a recurring donation.
Setting up my recurring donation took about 30 seconds.
And considering one of those takes a much smaller cut, there is zero reason to accept Patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Peachfart posted:

I don't know why people would rather use Patreon than Stripe, both of them take almost zero effort to set up a recurring donation.
And considering one of those takes a much smaller cut, there is zero reason to accept Patreon.

I think name recognition is a big thing. I feel a little weird giving money through a service I've never heard of but I set up a small recurring payment and kicked some extra in as a one time payment.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Peachfart posted:

an actual UI, being able to cancel easily. which is important in the begging game

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homeless Friend posted:

an actual UI, being able to cancel easily. which is important in the begging game

This. People don't like recurring charges they have to jump through hoops to cancel.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its partly hoop jumping ( immediately evocative of any customer service call/CC company experience ) and also you have to directly tell somebody effectively "ehh i dont wanna do charity no more" lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I agree that contact to cancel is annoying, and if it is a big problem for people I could at some point do a web form that lets you do it automatically without talking to anyone.

you'd just enter your email in a form, it would fire a cancellation link to that email which would cancel any subscriptions that were created tied to that email.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think there is a possibility for people to be mistrustful of any service where they sign up at a link with a very simple interface and have no way to pull that subscription back up or monitor it and have to rely on someone else they don't know to cancel it for them. It is not ideal in 2023. It's very set-and-forget, sure, but not very user friendly.

A web form would be a step in the right direction.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sure, I'd be curious to get opinions from more people if that kind of thing would just be nice to have or if it's stopping anyone from donating who might otherwise.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's not stopped me from donating, nor will it, but having a simple way to do things like adjust the recurring amount or the day it processes (or even just a place to go to check these things that wasn't searching through old emails) would be very welcome.

Absolutely not worth hanging the multiple forms of baggage of Patreon around your necks though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I guess I didn't realize Stripe was so uncommon/unfamiliar for people. At least around here (TX/NM) basically any like farmers market or food truck or thing like that has the little credit card machine that plugs into your iPad and the same Stripe UI. Since the shelter and food bank local to me both use it, I assumed Goon Fund just picked it because its like, the done thing for charity.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Since it does seem to be a holdup/gatekeeper of nice things and benefits, sooner than later is probably better!
Edit: 501c3 status also means you can ask for grants, and would also help the low funds issue.

Since Plinkey is in the thread, I'll just ask: Hey Plinkey, would you be willing to reach out to your former donators and point them towards the new thread/patreon/support page?
Something like 'Hey, if anyone wants to update their pledges, another group is doing what I did but actually incorporating as a nonprofit charity, they could use your help, i'm not involved, here's the link'
(the reason I am asking is Plinkey had, fro

Same question for the mods. 'here's the new thread' is pretty standard affair and its rather lacking from the closure of the original one. No drama, but its been 3 months it could use a pointer to the new one. Thats all!

Other than that, I think the 'matching large and unusual requests with donators privately' is one of the more interesting things and something that set it apart from attempt 1.

Good luck and I love what you all are doing!

that's not my job, it's up to to you, you need to be a friend and develop a raport with the community, i cant do that for you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

speng31b posted:

sure, I'd be curious to get opinions from more people if that kind of thing would just be nice to have or if it's stopping anyone from donating who might otherwise.

I actually never donated previously and started donating to this one specifically because it was just straight up stripe + the amount oversight and accountability. Never been a fan of patreon for straight up charitable causes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy moly that dog brick ad...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Thank you Homeless Friend for their new ad for the goonfund.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
edit: nvm. Not worth it.

I have chipped in for some small recurring donations. I hope this continues to be successful in helping

Heath has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Jun 11, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Plinkey posted:

that's not my job, it's up to to you, you need to be a friend and develop a raport with the community, i cant do that for you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

OK landlord.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
idk if im just like gigantic baby but I think the dog brick ad is horrifically poor taste and hosed up.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

silicone thrills posted:

idk if im just like gigantic baby but I think the dog brick ad is horrifically poor taste and hosed up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

it’s funny (because of the context) but incredibly dark so I get what you are saying.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

its win, actually

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

That's what makes it funny

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It’s really not going to convince people on cspam being mostly normal-for-goons and to be trusted to deliver on the promises of the fund.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Shiroc posted:

It’s really not going to convince people on cspam being mostly normal-for-goons and to be trusted to deliver on the promises of the fund.

There’s been a lot of positive feedback on the discords I frequent :shrug:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Shiroc posted:

i think most people understand its good natured ribbing by cspammers at cspammers

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think most people understand its good natured ribbing by cspammers at cspammers

Yes but the point is to get people other than cspammers donating to this??? isnt that just what we were talking about? And if it were just a play off the old magazine cover with the gun, it would be fine but relating it to probably one of the most hosed up moments in cspam history is really dark and gross.

Like I dont know about you, I didn't find that whole situation to be funny. I found it sad and upsetting and I still find it sad and upsetting.

But im done. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I see you and I hear you, I've rectified this once again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Homeless Friend posted:

lmao

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

My hero

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what does it look like now

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

what does it look like now

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
a brick grover house being thrown at clifford the big red tankie

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Fajita Queen posted:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fajita Queen posted:

Donated 'cause of dog brick ad. Also 'cause it seemed like a nice thing to do.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Fajita Queen posted:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The GBS thread asked about financials, and I provided some up to date ones - so here they are:

We are back in the green again, which is good! The main problem though, is we still have $1,386 in outstanding requests as of right now. The good news is that about $200 of that is due by middle of next week, and the rest is due by month end. We are planning to fulfill $200 through venmo today - I have sent an email to confirm the payment info with the requestee as their venmo name brings up multiple people, and I always try to confirm with them even when I'm 99% sure I know which one is the correct one. Chasing down wrongfully sent money will be much harder than just being patient, IMO.

As I said in the GBS thread, expanding has been a net 0 so far. It's brought in more funds, but also more requests - which isn't a bad thing! It just means we do need to move forward on a fundraiser to try and really get some more forum eyes on the Fund. And maybe we can have some extra new features, per speng, to make it a bit easier for people to feel comfortable donating.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the dog brick ad has convinced me to setup $20 monthly. thanks for all the work managing this goons.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
in honor of the offensive banner I have donated a few hundred bucks extra to venmo

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I think I sent a donation and I am not sure if I did it right. But things are better now, went to my disability hearing, and we all had spaghetti. So since things aren't dire at the moment, I'm going to try send those via - ... wait, how did I even. Well,my donation went through. It's not a lot I can give.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

500 good dogs posted:

in honor of the offensive banner I have donated a few hundred bucks extra to venmo

It makes sense, you gotta protect yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Serious question because I don't know how it works:
Does it cost anything to set up a Patreon for the fund? Like is there a monthly fee even if you don't get any money?

If they only charge you when someone pays, why not add the option? Even if they take a bigger cut, if people use it, some money is better than no money.