Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

genericnick posted:

poo poo. Upstream meaning above the Nova Kharkova dam?

Yes,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1610296498155028480

wow cant even imagine being a part of the army in a country so shithole it throws you on the front lines after just three months of training

Lol the whole thing the Marines love to bring up is that "every Marine an infantryman". Getting pressed into more needed positions (that usually are dangerous and suck) is a tale as old as time in every military.

Edit: Sorry, *rifleman* not infantryman

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

much rather stay at the back and shoot a big gun than be at the front near where all the dangerous stuff is

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
seems like a waste of a trained artilleryman so... it's probably not true but if it is then lol Russia

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It happened all the time in WW2. In both Italy and Northwest Europe the CW had more artillery regiments in Army and Corps support than there was a need for, plus the infantry needed replacements, so they rerolled a bunch of gunners.

Of the combat arms, the engineers are too useful for a million other tasks that need to be done, even manual labour, and the armour/cavalry is not usually large enough to provide a lot of manpower by breaking their units up, so alongside cooks and clerks they scrape gunners for infantry replacements first.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

It happened all the time in WW2. In both Italy and Northwest Europe the CW had more artillery regiments in Army and Corps support than there was a need for, plus the infantry needed replacements, so they rerolled a bunch of gunners.

Of the combat arms, the engineers are too useful for a million other tasks that need to be done, even manual labour, and the armour/cavalry is not usually large enough to provide a lot of manpower by breaking their units up, so alongside cooks and clerks they scrape gunners for infantry replacements first.

man with how brutal the combat is that's quite the sword of Damocles

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Frosted Flake posted:

What's your bet that Ukraine did not even do the staff work, because that's soviet, primitive, orkish, and they have uber for artillery because they're a startup nation?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Can you fix her?

https://twitter.com/REVMAXXING/status/1667665822003740675

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i assume septum piercings are within regulation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What's your bet that Ukraine did not even do the staff work, because that's soviet, primitive, orkish, and they have uber for artillery because they're a startup nation?

I keep going back and forth on this. The leaks showed NATO is intimately involved in every part of the Ukrainian military's operations, but their casualty numbers were from the official Ukrainian figures and they had no information on the strength and condition of Ukrainian army units, other than the new ones NATO was arming and training. I would imaging there were western planners involved in this, but I have no idea at what level of staff. I would also guess that losses among Ukrainian officers has caused them to break up a lot of staffs and training establishments, so how much planning is done, and at what level, I have no clue.

Even at the brigade level though, the artillery staff should have tasked the brigade mortars to laying smoke for those breach attempts.

Idk, we never get any information on how the Ukrainian military is doing institutionally.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Don't forget the totally-not-a-Totenkopf!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The scissors tells me it's another "medic" too.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol that tiktok nickname, has to be trolling.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

im going to bet this gets geolocated outside Ukraine

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Maya Fey posted:

the guardian got significantly worse around the time their offices got raided in 2013 or so

quote:

In 2016, the company established a U.S.-based philanthropic arm to raise money from individuals and organizations including think tanks and corporate foundations.[169] The grants are focused by the donors on particular issues. By the following year, the organization had raised $1 million from the likes of Pierre Omidyar's Humanity United, the Skoll Foundation, and the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation to finance reporting on topics including modern-day slavery and climate change. The Guardian has stated that it has secured $6 million "in multi-year funding commitments" thus far.[170]

The new project developed from funding relationships which the paper already had with the Ford, Rockefeller, and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.[171] Gates had given the organization $5 million[172] for its Global Development webpage.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1667913533177348096

smdh at putin authoritarianishly taking away the freedoms of private military contractors

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
bag fumbler

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

it owns how prigozhin looks like a goblin

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1667913533177348096

smdh at putin authoritarianishly taking away the freedoms of private military contractors

whats the betting everything carries on as normal

i will say, i'm enjoying this weird hosed up play they're putting on

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

A Russian troll farm posted:

it owns how prigozhin looks like a goblinorc

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1668004628502396928

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ukraine will never be able to match Russia's EW (Electronic Warfare) abilities until Japan contributes Minovsky particle technology. Then Ukraine's GF13-006NA can stride across the battlefield unhindered by cowardly RuZZian spotters and drones. Let's see Russia's artillery fight in visual range!

fake edit: Reading about real life radio signals and EW is fascinating.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

no no, see, he's an auxillary to the orcs. i.e. a goblin

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

uh what? every single one of those vehicles was recovered. they’ll be back to the front in no time

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Ukraine will never be able to match Russia's EW (Electronic Warfare) abilities until Japan contributes Minovsky particle technology. Then Ukraine's GF13-006NA can stride across the battlefield unhindered by cowardly RuZZian spotters and drones. Let's see Russia's artillery fight in visual range!

fake edit: Reading about real life radio signals and EW is fascinating.

quote:

Trenov Y. Minovsky was born in 1983 (U.C. 0015) in the Ural regions near Chernobyl, Ukraine.

:tinfoil:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

"According to FT sources, Washington believes the next five months are critical to the outcome of the conflict. “If we get to September and Ukraine has not made significant gains, then the international pressure on [the West] to bring them to negotiations will be enormous,” another source told the FT, on condition of anonymity."

FRIEDMAN UNITS ARE BACK, BABY

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

some weird poo poo has gone down in that universe for Chernobyl to be in a region named after the Urals

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think Tomino might not have been 100% on Geography.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

tazjin posted:

some weird poo poo has gone down in that universe for Chernobyl to be in a region named after the Urals

Look, are you going to tell some dude sitting in Lagrange 3 that Chernobyl isn't near the Urals?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

These would seem to be the vaunted American Full Width Mine Plows. Not great.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dont you want to make straight lines with your plow?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Dont you want to make straight lines with your plow?

I only make straight lines in my plov.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

The idea is to jam across a wide area, it isn't the size of the drones that is the primary issue. The Ukrainians don't have the equipment really to jam so they are just getting continually pelted with loitering drones. The counter to EW equipment is pretty straightforward though.

That's just it, jamming gear with a broad field is very vulnerable on the offensive. Directed jammers much less so, but you have to spot the drone first, hence size being an issue, admittedly not as you say the primary one.

On the subject of jamming, I came across this article about a Ka-52 jamming 18 MANPADS using it's Vitebsk-25. It's of course unconfirmed but I found it interesting. The video features grainy footage of vehicles being blown up and isn't relevant or really informative.

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/amp/2023/06/10/one-ka-52-helicopter-deflected-18-manpads-by-jamming-all-warheads/

Majorian posted:

I hadn't seen those quotes, but I have to say, it's kind of a relief.

Don't worry, that bastard tankie Miley has been replaced. Did you know he was talking with China?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

*sees line on map move slightly* Poodin is shidding his pants!! or diapers idk!

*5 minutes later watching tanks get destroyed from every angle* it is truly laughable to think anything can be gleaned from the offensive this early on, it’s far too early to tell how it’s going, wars are not won or lost in a day, etc etc

Yeah, same.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Anyone scared for Ukraine's fighting force, do not worry. They are winning just off screen.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1667891456437112835

Slava!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

That's just it, jamming gear with a broad field is very vulnerable on the offensive. Directed jammers much less so, but you have to spot the drone first, hence size being an issue, admittedly not as you say the primary one.

On the subject of jamming, I came across this article about a Ka-52 jamming 18 MANPADS using it's Vitebsk-25. It's of course unconfirmed but I found it interesting. The video features grainy footage of vehicles being blown up and isn't relevant or really informative.

It seems like infrared would be more of an issue even though a Ka-52 is going to have a bunch of flares. As for jammers on the offensive, yeah it is going to be an issue, but it is also why you need integrated point defense working with artillery and everything else, the hedgehog approach.

It is a good question from the Western side, what is being learned and what isn't. We know how much copium there is in the press and DC, but is West Point still high-fiving each other about dead orcs or actually doing their jobs?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How close are they to crimea ?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

How close are they to crimea ?

From the frontline? About 130-150km away

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

so that's between the dam in zaporozhye and the kakhovka? because that wouldn't necessarily mean ukraine is cutting off flow upstream, the river is going to retreat there even if ukraine is releasing as much flow as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

It is a good question from the Western side, what is being learned and what isn't. We know how much copium there is in the press and DC, but is West Point still high-fiving each other about dead orcs or actually doing their jobs?

It's not my area, but likely you'll see sober assessments in the professional journals and work like that, but it won't make it out into mainstream narratives. If you read Defeating the Russian BTG it is just a list of times Ukrainian units got rolled up on the last go round, and there seems to be collective amnesia about that