Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

xsf421 posted:

Played the University of Michigan golf course today, Alister Mackenzie apparently didn't mess around with his green complexes.

I hit a green in regulation on a par 4, and got a 6 with 1 putt and a chip in.
Yeah, those greens were not designed for double digit stimps. What's the double-tiered one? Six. Just dumb. I assume that's the one you are talking about

xsf421 posted:

Yep. I landed on the front of the lower tier and the flag was back left. If I was braved I’d have chipped.
They used to have a "no chipping" sign on that green. Many years ago.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

gvibes posted:

Yeah, those greens were not designed for double digit stimps. What's the double-tired one? Six. Just dumb. I assume that's the one you are talking about

Yep. I landed on the front of the lower tier and the flag was back left. If I was braved I’d have chipped.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What a putt

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Wow Nick Taylor just sank the biggest balls putt I’ve ever seen

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

That was absolutely insane.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

That putt was dead center too, holy moly. Fleetwood didnt even look mad.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/thecriermedia/status/1668040829062074368?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Playing in a charity tournament in LA while all the pros are in town for the US Open and I'm wondering which one this "Adam Golfman" guy is...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I shot a 90 with 42 putts on Saturday, including a 4 putt on the first hole for a bogey.

My career best is an 86 for reference.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
86 putts is too many.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

42 putts...man you're leaving like 10 strokes on the table with your putter alone.

90's still a good score though - congrats!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

daslog posted:

I shot a 90 with 42 putts on Saturday, including a 4 putt on the first hole for a bogey.

My career best is an 86 for reference.

40 putts was pretty average for me back in the day. Regularly shooting low 90s with 40+ putts was my jam

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The thing about putting is that while its not necessarily the thing that will lower your scores right away in terms of strokes gained, but it is the area of golf where pros and amateurs are the closest in terms of skill so theres not really much thats keeping you from being at least a serviceable putter other than not practicing.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

when i was a jr and struggling with putting a week before the club championship my dad took me out for a round and forbade me from aiming anywhere but the middle of the cup. just made me read everything front to back and concentrate on speed. didnt make a thing but almost every miss was within three feet.

next weekend I won the cc going away by only three putting twice over two rounds.

even if you badly misread a put left to right you're probably only missing by a foot or so unless you're at augusta. but it's way easier to miss a putt by an inch and roll it five feet by.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I completely agree, pace is way, way more important than whether you're on the right line or not. Reducing your 3 putts to 2 putts is what will shave the most strokes off your score if your handicap is 5-25.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My CaddyTek cart showed up today and hot dang I’m super happy with this bad boy :toot:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Heh the USGA have Adam Hadwin a safety vest and hard hat after the security incident at the Canadian Open.

https://twitter.com/ahadwingolf/status/1668327242307616769?t=ZjWeBmY-CGTw7mieh4W6Sg&s=19

kirtar fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 13, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I interrupt your regularly scheduled Saudi takeover chat to announce :siren: The US Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034172 :siren:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

kirtar posted:

Heh the USGA have Adam Hadwin a safety vest and hard hat after the security incident at the Canadian Open.

https://twitter.com/ahadwingolf/status/1668327242307616769?t=ZjWeBmY-CGTw7mieh4W6Sg&s=19

USGA has got some good memes going:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Putting a longer line (it’s actually a T-shape) on my ball really helped with my putting last year, but then I got away from it and things deteriorated slowly until a month ago when I had a round where I shot an 87 with 43 putts. Some of those first putts were very long, but certainly not all of em. It felt like I sank a total of 18 ft of putts that day, it was bad, and those greens weren’t that tricky or anything.

I’m back to the line now, I line up the putt with the line, then when I’m standing over it all I care about is speed. When I wasn’t using the line I found myself adjusting and readjusting over the ball, just too many different things going on in my head.

The line also makes it apparent if an offline miss was a bad stroke or a missed read, which is very helpful, and it immediately brought me back below 40, and last round had 33 putts, including a couple of longer ones, on a course with some pretty tricky greens so I was pretty happy with that.

TLDR - pick a line before you get over the ball and trust it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My golf year really kicks off this week. Its been depressing how little I've played/practiced but the vacations are starting to come together. This weekend is 36holes Friday, LPGA event in Grand Rapids on Saturday, then 18more Sunday morning. Should be a blast.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hadn't played golf in years. Went to Drive Shack this past weekend and was just crushing it with their lovely clubs.

Guess this means its time to buy another set of clubs and go disappoint myself on a real course again!

My own personal Michael Block timeline

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
First time doing the whole, 'got a golf trip at the end of the week, haven't played at all this year better so I should go to the range'.

Proceed to hit 200 balls...surprisingly well, but also create and tear open a couple blisters. Real....dumb.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Update for the Michigan dudes, I played the front 9 of warren valley on Saturday. Greens have all been resodded and are drat near perfect (and were rolling at 11.5). They haven’t done much to the fairways yet except cut, water, fertilize, and try to fill in the really bad spots. Still a very playable course, especially for the price ($24 waking $44 cart for 18 on a weekend). My 28 handicapper friend has learned the joys of Donald Ross course design too, plateau greens everywhere. I imagine in a couple years this is going to be a great course. Only the west course is open for now, and they said they’ll have the driving range open at the end of the month.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

Putting a longer line (it’s actually a T-shape) on my ball really helped with my putting last year, but then I got away from it and things deteriorated slowly until a month ago when I had a round where I shot an 87 with 43 putts. Some of those first putts were very long, but certainly not all of em. It felt like I sank a total of 18 ft of putts that day, it was bad, and those greens weren’t that tricky or anything.

I’m back to the line now, I line up the putt with the line, then when I’m standing over it all I care about is speed. When I wasn’t using the line I found myself adjusting and readjusting over the ball, just too many different things going on in my head.

The line also makes it apparent if an offline miss was a bad stroke or a missed read, which is very helpful, and it immediately brought me back below 40, and last round had 33 putts, including a couple of longer ones, on a course with some pretty tricky greens so I was pretty happy with that.

TLDR - pick a line before you get over the ball and trust it.

Yes, and yes. But I hate having a line drawn on the ball. I turn it so even the numbers/brand are not in sight so I have a blank ball.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
In completely innocuous and not at all indication that the Saudis have outsourced their thuggery to Russia, the PGA tour commissioner had a sudden medical emergency shortly after signing the merger with LIV.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/37849868/pga-tour-commissioner-jay-monahan-recovering-medical-situation

"He shouldn't have ordered the Polonium Soup"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd put equal money he's just trying to play up pity while bowing out of public view

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m having a panic attack over everyone getting mad that I sold golf to the 911 guys

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I’m having a panic attack over everyone getting mad that I sold golf to the 911 guys

The actual guy that sold golf to the 9/11 guys should have died in 9/11 but he skipped work to play golf that day instead of riding the 104th floor down with 70 of his colleagues.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Man, keeping track of stats make me sad.
89 (par 72) - pretty good for me! Like a 73/135 course.
Fairways hit: 3/14!
Greens in regulation: 4/18!
Putts: 32

I guess that probably tells a story of barely missing quite a few greens

Two of the fairways I hit were smoked like 290+ though, so I will be playing again.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Week 2 of league and once again I, playing for 2.5 years with several golf lessons paid for, have lost to my friend with a god awful swing who just picked up some random clubs and started playing a few months ago. Sure, he’ll totally whiff the ball on the tee, but when he connects with it he’ll drive it straight down the middle of the fairway 250 yards while I’m once again suddenly incapable of hitting anything longer than my 7i.

Strongly re-considering an iron fitting and just buying a lovely used set for the lovely golfer that I am!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You’re penalizing him for swinging and missing, right? Rules are rules and if you want to win…

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I can't stress this enough: Fittings aren't just for good golfers

I had a consistent slice/fade with clubs that some straight to consumer golf clubs that were supposedly fit for me using their chart. Went to get an actual fitting, they decided the 1/4 inch short was good, but I needed 3 degrees upright. Lo and behold, I started hitting it straight without changing my swing at all.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Shot a two over 38 on 9 holes today, my best nine ever, and that included a double bogey on the first hole. One of the easier courses in the area but still, felt really good about how I was playing

Woulda been interesting to see if I coulda kept it up on 18 (no, I couldn't have)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My partner and I didn’t play all that great in our skins league last night, we birdied a drivable par 4 and the two par 5s but nothing else. On the ninth hole we were waiting so long that the 3 teams behind us caught up so we just all played it together to get done sooner. 205 yards from the blue tees into a bit of wind and I stuck my hybrid to 8 feet with about 15 people watching (shared tee box with hole 2). Nobody else even hit the green and none of them came close to chipping in, and I buried the putt. We split the pot with one other team and cashed for the third week in a row.

Overall I’ve been playing really well lately except for one round last weekend where I topped my driver 5 times in a row. The rest of the round I moved the ball back to the middle of my stance just to hit the face and then the next time I played I went back to my normal ball position and drove it just fine. I’m still not sure exactly what was going on since it was just a casual round with a couple other guys and I wasn’t trying to swing out of my shoes or anything.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'm far too inconsistent with my driver (G425 SRT)....but I'm just dialed in with my G710 irons. Actually been favoring my irons off the tee on Par 4s recently. Wondering if anyone has any experience with a driving iron.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
General US Open ticketing question.

I'm looking at tix for next year's Open since it's in my neck of the woods but the cheapest they offer is $850 for the full week (mon-sun) gallery experience.

Will they eventually open up single day or weekend only gallery passes?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yes, sometime in Oct/Nov.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

drat, how much do single day grounds tickets go for at a major? At $850 for a week seems like they are probably well over $100 per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Weekend days will probably be $100-150, yeah. Think I paid $125 for my Sunday ticket to the PGA when I went and that was in 2016.