Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Breath of the Wild is seriously taking the piss with this rain omg what loving moron thought this would be a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Nova69 posted:

Spiritfarer

The spirits you meet in general vary in design/writing quality, but the latest one I've encountered is notably more annoying than any previous one

Jackie

Their dialogue is both uninteresting and grating, and their quest design involves you continually going onto their island to talk to them, do some annoying fetch quest, and then you have to go back onto your boat, and wait for them to message you on a pager, before you can then hop back onto the same island to pick up the next tedious quest

The core resource gathering/crafting part of the game is already feeling tedious, so it's a shame that the spirit quests are starting to feel the same

Jackie and Daria were part of the big update and their quests felt pretty bolted on to me, especially the vertical platforming section which doesn't repeat anywhere else in the game. I had already played through to the finish once already before the update so perhaps it was just that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phigs posted:

Breath of the Wild is seriously taking the piss with this rain omg what loving moron thought this would be a good idea?

No see what that means is it's just time to go explore somewhere else, forget that you've already committed to that cliffside. It's fine and good and a great mechanic

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

No see what that means is it's just time to go explore somewhere else, forget that you've already committed to that cliffside. It's fine and good and a great mechanic

To be fair some of the mountains are designed in such a way that you CAN brute force and climb one of the sides, but there are often small paths that you can find that you can just walk up, which means you can find purchase there even in the rain, or have less distance that you have to climb between them. At least I remember finding places that were shallow enough to walk up for the bigger mountains. You just need to find a better angle to approach it from.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

I just rolled credits on Tears of the Kingdom and the difficulty scaling is real out of whack.

At this point in the game the open world is full of silver baddies. They're tanky as hell and can just cut through your hp like it's nothing. There's a segment before you fight Ganon where you and the sages fight his army which is just waves of enemies, none of them are silver. Then I got to Ganon and was able to get through the entire fight without breaking the master sword which breaks on a single silver anything. It was incredibly underwhelming

tbf the master sword in BOTW had a hidden modifier where it’s durability skyrocketed whenever you fought things associated with Calamity Ganon and it was at full power, if the same thing applies in TOTK then that probably helps. I Don’t doubt the difficulty is whacked though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Last Celebration posted:

tbf the master sword in BOTW had a hidden modifier where it’s durability skyrocketed whenever you fought things associated with Calamity Ganon and it was at full power, if the same thing applies in TOTK then that probably helps. I Don’t doubt the difficulty is whacked though.

it does, but everything in the depths gets that modifier and it can't kill anything that's silver without getting sleepy

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh yeah I guess shits hosed then. At least ToTK makes it really really easy to just stunlock enemies with ice attack > heavy attack with fuckoff weapon > ice attack, hopefully they didn’t nerf that too since that was my go-to strat in BOTW.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Len posted:

it does, but everything in the depths gets that modifier and it can't kill anything that's silver without getting sleepy

Are you fusing anything to it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RandolphCarter posted:

Are you fusing anything to it?

Yeah, the best I've got is silver moblin heads and I still come out at a net loss

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phigs posted:

Uh I think you'll find it's good because it forces you to use a wide variety of weapons, experiencing everything the game has to offer.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Replaying OoT and I have two things. The first is my fault; years ago I found a nice piano version of the "turning to daytime" music and set that as my alarm, so now every time it turns to day in the game and that jingle plays I get a spike of anxiety.
The second is the loving water temple

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phigs posted:

The sequel finally gives you an armor set that negates slipping while climbing, but it's also annoying because you' probably have to spend a while farming monster bits to upgrade it even after going through a dozen sidequests to get it. But once you finally have it, it's great!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had to kill 6 lynel to get one guts yesterday, it felt real bad.

They don't have the combat system to warrant monster hunter drop rates

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

I had to kill 6 lynel to get one guts yesterday, it felt real bad.

They don't have the combat system to warrant monster hunter drop rates

Link gets into a fight:

Lynel: You think you can beat me Hero of.. (whatever this link is hero of. Hero of garbage? Hero of ruins?). I will squash you!
Link: YOU DON'T HAVE THE GUTS!
*Shortly after*
Link:... Huh, he didn't.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The sequel finally gives you an armor set that negates slipping while climbing, but it's also annoying because you' probably have to spend a while farming monster bits to upgrade it even after going through a dozen sidequests to get it. But once you finally have it, it's great!

to be fair, TotK has a lot of cool new ways to get up that the rain, while still really annoying, isn't as much of a problem

Not a big fan of them introducing wet walls inside caves though

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Nova69 posted:

Spiritfarer

The spirits you meet in general vary in design/writing quality, but the latest one I've encountered is notably more annoying than any previous one

Jackie

Their dialogue is both uninteresting and grating, and their quest design involves you continually going onto their island to talk to them, do some annoying fetch quest, and then you have to go back onto your boat, and wait for them to message you on a pager, before you can then hop back onto the same island to pick up the next tedious quest

The core resource gathering/crafting part of the game is already feeling tedious, so it's a shame that the spirit quests are starting to feel the same
People reading this post, don't read the spoilered stuff below unless you're really far into the game.

True, but it is an intentional choice by the developers. I get what you're saying, though.

What the player does in the game reflects Stella's work as an end of life care nurse in "real life", and not all patients are easy to work with, or charming. Jackie wasn't technically a patient, but still. It's hard work and you gotta deal with all kinds of different people. Most characters you meet in the game are delightful, but Jackie is a reality check. His questline feels annoying because dealing with Jackie in life was annoying.
Jackie is a difficult person to deal with, but he is no less human and he has no less worth. His behavioral problems are largely related to his low self-image. He wants to get better and treat people better, but he constantly self-sabotages. He's an intentionally unlikable character, but his story is tragic.

I dunno, I like the character and I find the design choices for his questline effective, but I can definitely see how he could be too annoying in what is essentially an escapist game.

Suleman has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jun 11, 2023

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What I thought was weird about Spiritfarer is that the very first animal passenger person you meet is super annoying. Couldn't wait for her to just gently caress off already. I don't know if it's to encourage you to get rid of them immediately and progress the game or what, but it gave me a feeling of "oh no, the whole game is gonna be like this."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

kazil posted:

to be fair, TotK has a lot of cool new ways to get up that the rain, while still really annoying, isn't as much of a problem

Not a big fan of them introducing wet walls inside caves though

I was glad to have them, I still found myself climbing a lot more than folks said due to being short on parts/zonaite/convenient falling rocks, so the armor set was super nice to have on hand.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Tomb Raider: Underworld's default keyboard layout has you using caps lock of all things to throw.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Playing through DKC Tropical Freeze again, and I got that moment where I hit the end of the first world and suddenly remembered how dire the boss fights are in the game. They aren't fun, and worse, they just go on and on, every one feels 3x longer than it needs to be. I just immediately tank up on extra health items before each one now, so there's no chance I have to sit through minutes of the same slow phases again if I die.
It's such a bizarre contrast to the rest of the game, which is amazing. I don't know what went wrong, the rest of it is still the best 2D platforming I can think of since it came out almost a decade ago?! :corsair:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Veotax posted:

I usually use a canon on a stick I have saved with the quickbuild power.

This is exactly it. People who are getting frustrated at the rock tunnels haven't solved the puzzle. You have plenty of other ways to get through rock pretty quickly that don't involve a hammer and the game is trying to push you towards experimenting with your devices

I was pretty drat annoyed myself till I realized oh wait I have an auto build blueprint that the game provided me that absolutely trivializes these and that's just one solution. Throwing swords into the ore is Nintendo's way of saying "yeah even the people who can't figure it out should be able to progress"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

This is exactly it. People who are getting frustrated at the rock tunnels haven't solved the puzzle. You have plenty of other ways to get through rock pretty quickly that don't involve a hammer and the game is trying to push you towards experimenting with your devices

I was pretty drat annoyed myself till I realized oh wait I have an auto build blueprint that the game provided me that absolutely trivializes these and that's just one solution. Throwing swords into the ore is Nintendo's way of saying "yeah even the people who can't figure it out should be able to progress"

Just because you've solved the problem doesn't make it any less tedious hth

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

KingSlime posted:

Throwing swords into the ore is Nintendo's way of saying "yeah even the people who can't figure it out should be able to progress"

Come on.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
There are a million things in this game that are very tedious if you don't approach the right way and with the right items

I guess what I'm saying is if something seems especially annoying or tedious there's a good chance that you're not approach in the correct fashion and there's enough crossover between item effects that a little experimentation will usually yield a pretty effective solution

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Jun 12, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

There are a million things in this game that are very tedious if you don't approach the right way and with the right items

I guess what I'm saying is if something seems especially annoying or tedious there's a good chance that you're not approach in the correct fashion and there's enough crossover between item effects that a little experimentation will usually yield a pretty effective solution

:ok:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom cannot fail, they can only be failed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They are fail

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tears of the Fandom

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

RareAcumen posted:

Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom cannot fail, they can only be failed.

I'm looking up tips on combat to make it suck less and I'm legit seeing takes like "it's good that the combat is lacking because it encourages you to experiment with other methods."

And the combat does suck. Having to lockon to an enemy before you can dodge is bad. As is having to hold the button to maintain the lockon instead of toggling it. As does having no means of changing the lockon to another enemy outside of dropping and reapplying the lockon. It reminds me of when people describe fighting games as being "finger puzzles".

And the breaking weapons thing would be less egregious if it didn't just leave you barehanded and unable to attack until you manually choose a new weapon.

And the sprinting stamina feels like I'm playing a FTP mobile game that deliberately made my stamina pool drain too fast to encourage me to buy the slower stamina drain powerup from the store.

I'm actually enjoying the game now that I've gotten more used to its quirks, which I wasn't in the opening moments, but drat does this not deserve a 10. 10/10 games shouldn't feel like the studio doesn't know how to design video games for human beings.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The next Zelda absolutely needs to do something to make the combat more worthwhile. TotK improves the puzzles and thinking about how to move through the world tremendously over BotW but the combat still is trapped in the awful space between being fast and simple like the old games and a nuanced character action game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The sky islands are essentially isolated pockets of specialized activity that you can reach from a limited number of areas on the surface, and I would have preferred that as a concept for the depths, rather than the vast but basically empty plain we got.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Depths were definitely something that start out feeling really cool but near completely lose interest once you realize there are only a handful of types of activities in there and very little danger.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Opopanax posted:

Replaying OoT and I have two things. The first is my fault; years ago I found a nice piano version of the "turning to daytime" music and set that as my alarm, so now every time it turns to day in the game and that jingle plays I get a spike of anxiety.
The second is the loving water temple

Did you get the key in the main like, shaft room that's hidden under the rising platforms? I always miss that one. Never really have issues with the water temple beyond that. It always comes down to hunting for one last key for like an hour before remembering "Oh wait, that one key I always forget, motherfucker."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Okay maybe I'll put this is the right thread this time:

Been playing some of the Crisis Core remake, and it's, eh fun enough I guess, I like levelling up materia and combining them and getting bigger materia for big numbers. But wow, Zack's voice acting just sucks real bad. Even as a himbo-type character, it feel like a middle schooler doing their first stage play - over-enunciating, trying to project for some reason, a solid lack of any kind of emotion except, for some reason, constant surprise? Very bizarre.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like a water temple setup might range from tolerable to all-time classic level with modern movement controls, graphics/lighting and navigation aids but the OoT incarnation and gamers' collective memory has well and truly poisoned that particular well

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like a water temple setup might range from tolerable to all-time classic level with modern movement controls, graphics/lighting and navigation aids but the OoT incarnation and gamers' collective memory has well and truly poisoned that particular well

Yeah, there are good levels/dungeons that take place in a water temple, sure. But this one iconic dungeon from OoT has completely changed the meaning such that a "water temple" is a bad level full of backtracking, unclear objectives, poor communication to the player, locking out areas of the dungeon to unlock new areas (except that you probably left a key or something in that other area so you need to unlock it again while locking that newer area), etc. Pretty funny when you think about that sort of negative cultural impact.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've never had a problem with OoT's water temple and I STILL have a knee-jerk reaction to hate water temples (it's because heavy water segments in games not meant for them are poo poo)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I did the water temple just fine in OoT but any time I ever replayed the game it was the forest temple that confused the hell out of me for some reason.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lobok posted:

I did the water temple just fine in OoT but any time I ever replayed the game it was the forest temple that confused the hell out of me for some reason.

Yeah same here. There's always one key that I miss in the Forest Temple, and each time I forget which one I'm missing or where it is, leading me to spend an extra hour just running around trying to find what I haven't triggered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I also have one about Spiritfarer having completed it a week ago.

There's a mechanic where the passengers on your boat have a 'sad-neutral-happy' mood slidebar. Which gives perks etc depending on the point on the slidebar they are at. Max Happy ofc giving the most bonus. You can increase it by hugging them, giving them food, or other stuff. So over the course of the game you get in the habit of trying to hug every passenger if you see them on the boat or on an island. If they've recently been hugged its goes on CD and you can't hug them for a while. If you try they just spout a line about personal distance or whatever. The slidebar doesn't change.

But there is one passenger who doesn't like to be hugged. And that passengers sad-neutral-happy mood goes down instead of up if you do try to hug.
And, of course, that one has no CD. And you could, like me, spam it the first few times you meet the passenger wondering whats happening only to realise you tanked the slidebar and it's almost impossible to recover.

Then there's the achievement for getting all passengers at max lvl happy and it's just...