Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

threeagainstfour posted:

loving finally. My understanding is that he met revenue targets set by AEG and that was enough to keep extending him even after he masterminded the worst finish in club history in 2017 and got caught this past off season for literal cheating done in 2019. Not “the league bends the rules for the Galaxy” cheating, but actual off the book payments to Christian Pavon to avoid having to make him a DP cheating.

Guy absolutely destroyed the Galaxy as a competitive club in the league. Hopefully AEG hire someone to take over for him that actually cares about building a competent and competitive club.

I'm not exactly holding my breath on that, but I am hoping that Beckerman has realized that the team has to be good to make money and to be good things need to change.

In that one Klein letter where he said that Vanney would "build out soccer operations" had me absolutely incandescent with rage because what the gently caress were they doing before? It's clear that the team has very little support staff outside of medical (and I wouldn't be surprised if that was pretty bare-bones too. And... ugh, probably a lot of herbalife nonsense) and it's been hurting the team terribly while other teams continue to grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Can't stop seeing this every time I read Beckerman:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

whypick1 posted:

I don't think that will be quite enough to lure him...

...player-manager-governor on the other hand...

Now I'm imagining Messi livestreaming playing Victoria 3 and doing all the moves. It's got trains!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

threeagainstfour posted:

loving finally. My understanding is that he met revenue targets set by AEG and that was enough to keep extending him even after he masterminded the worst finish in club history in 2017 and got caught this past off season for literal cheating done in 2019. Not “the league bends the rules for the Galaxy” cheating, but actual off the book payments to Christian Pavon to avoid having to make him a DP cheating.

Guy absolutely destroyed the Galaxy as a competitive club in the league. Hopefully AEG hire someone to take over for him that actually cares about building a competent and competitive club.

Wait, you're telling me the group who ran the Rapids as an inroad to getting an entertainment venue valued revenue over results at Galaxy? hosed up if true.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
congrats to Tim Cook on acquiring Messi

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1666433203811364866

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Moktaro posted:

Wait, you're telling me the group who ran the Rapids as an inroad to getting an entertainment venue valued revenue over results at Galaxy? hosed up if true.

I'm sure *every* team values revenue over results. The trouble here is that they thought they could trade on past successes... I guess forever and made the team an embarrassment.

I can't believe they crazy bastards did it. I can't wait to find out that it ended up being worth a billion dollars for him or something.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I just looked at NYRB vs Miami tix on Aug 26 and the cheapest on ticketmaster are already $500

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
My normal stance of "don't believe any news about a signing until they kick a ball on the pitch while wearing the jersey" seems *incredibly* prudent right now.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

My normal stance of "don't believe any news about a signing until they kick a ball on the pitch while wearing the jersey" seems *incredibly* prudent right now.

Normally, I'm with you, but it seems to be independently verified.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65832658

https://theathletic.com/4587862/2023/06/06/lionel-messi-inter-miami-barcelona/?access_token=7133003&redirected=1
(This one requires a subscription and doesn't say that it's a done deal, but it's from last night and I like The Athletic because they don't report on rumor.)

And then a bunch of articles list a handful of tweets from different people all saying they got it from their own sources.

This one feels real to me.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Messi sweepstakes are over, but the Ronaldo sweepstakes have just begun!

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

whypick1 posted:

fabrizio said here we go

its over

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Mods please change thread title to APPLE TV PRESENTS MLSS10 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Another Bill posted:

The Messi sweepstakes are over, but the Ronaldo sweepstakes have just begun!

I think it's going to be neck and neck between Ely State and High Desert State, but I'd be fine with him going to either.

Azerban posted:

fabrizio said here we go

its over

I will continue to remain skeptical since this deal getting reneged at the last minute would be incredibly on brand for MLS.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did they just offer him the actual team or something

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm friends with someone who works for Inter Miami - says it's been quite the morning.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did they just offer him the actual team or something

He gets profits from Apple and Adidas, and a cheap buy-in for a franchise when the contract expires.

So practically.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

He gets profits from Apple and Adidas, and a cheap buy-in for a franchise when the contract expires.

So practically.
What city could he put a team in that would offer Messi the largest variety of trains?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/skyline_chili/status/1666492796784500758?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

What city could he put a team in that would offer Messi the largest variety of trains?

Looks like we're getting a third 2-team city

quote:

Chicago is North America's largest rail hub, and remains unsurpassed in the total number of passenger and freight trains that converge on any city on the continent. Chicago is a major hub for Amtrak, with 15 different lines terminating at the city's Union Station.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wanna see his eyes the first time he goes to Dallas and sees Chicken Fried Steak with biscuits.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Wanna see his eyes the first time he goes to Dallas and sees Chicken Fried Steak with biscuits.

He's going to love going to Houston in September when it's 105 degrees with 80% humidity

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

binge crotching posted:

He's going to love going to Houston in September when it's 105 degrees with 80% humidity

He probably just going to be mysteriously unfit for those games like every other retired Euro star

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lmao DC United tickets for the 7/8 game against Miami are crazy stupid right now. I don't think he plays that game but holding onto my season ticket and my all-star game ticket in any case.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/GDMetellus8/status/300661546412040193?t=2gImi6xDgGzetTpkZKoQmg&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheyAlreadyKnew/status/1666524034849296397?t=5MBWwRzCrORdiWpf-S_VFg&s=19

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Messi is on tape saying it's not 100%, but he's almost certainly going to Miami. He was wearing a shirt that said "Do a Kickflip".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Crazy Ted posted:

Wanna see his eyes the first time he sees the team Dallas fields

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Please tell me Colorado or such actually has Messi's discovery rights

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Sporting KC should try going after Ronaldo again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Please tell me Colorado or such actually has Messi's discovery rights
Orlando would be funniest in this instance.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

In non-Messi news, :rip: Galaxy: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-galaxy-striker-chicharito-suffers-knee-injury-in-us-open-cup-defeat

Reminder that they can't bring in anyone from overseas this summer due to league sanctions because their former GM was The loving Worst.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chicharito hasn't been good this year, but that's still a big loss

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

In non-Messi news, :rip: Galaxy: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-galaxy-striker-chicharito-suffers-knee-injury-in-us-open-cup-defeat

Reminder that they can't bring in anyone from overseas this summer due to league sanctions because their former GM was The loving Worst.

Welp... I guess Puig is going to have to start passing to Jovelic.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1667722740001026048?t=zChHoEcO0nZg1M5D4Rfe1Q&s=19

Goal of the year is sorted

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Somebody please make Galvan take an anger management class while he's suspended (again).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

God drat there was some bangers this past weekend...and absolutely zero need to have a poll because the winner is so blindingly obvious:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1668292041598435329

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
36k at Gillette on saturday 👀 not sure if there was some kind of promotion going on but all the seats above the terrace/club end were open and I don't know if I've ever seen them not tarped off for a Revs game. pretty drat good

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

barnold posted:

36k at Gillette on saturday 👀 not sure if there was some kind of promotion going on

Yes, I believe the promotion was "Have Possibly the Greatest Soccer Player Ever Announce He's Intends to Play for Your Opponent Starting Next Month at the Earliest, If the Deal Actually Goes Through".

Really a masterstroke by the Revs.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
sometimes they give out free tickets to kiddie booster clubs across the state or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1667881997723746304?s=20

:lol: