Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Man, give it up for New Wave Tropical, the unsung 90's aesthetic that actually started in the late 70's

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/new-wave-tropical

I swear everyone had at least one shirt like the tropical fish shirt that you either got at an aquarium or at the beach some where on vacation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I miss the banned refrigerants. Air conditioners used to have a smell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One of GOAT snack foods.

After Keebler was broken up in the late 90’s, they were discontinued.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

Man, give it up for New Wave Tropical, the unsung 90's aesthetic that actually started in the late 70's

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/new-wave-tropical

I swear everyone had at least one shirt like the tropical fish shirt that you either got at an aquarium or at the beach some where on vacation

So that's what that poo poo was called. Yeah I remember it dying out by the late 90s and not really missing it, but drat if that's not nostalgia from the side now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

uber_stoat posted:

look at that beautiful radioactive looking thing. be still my heart.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gonz posted:

One of GOAT snack foods.

These loving ruled. Used to get them at the Dollar Tree

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gonz posted:

One of GOAT snack foods.

Betty Crocker used to make this stuff called Snackin' Cake. It was a completely unified cake mix, all you did was add water. It was the highest ratio of deliciousnes:effort ever, but it's not made anymore. And if you google for it it's supposedly from the 1970s, but goddamn it still existed post-9/11. And I can't find any reason why it was discontinued, so I guess maybe some obscure ingredient that made the whole mix work was source from endangered animal babies in the rainforest or something like that.

And don't even get me started on Pudding Pops. It's an indictment of modern society that those aren't available.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Phanatic posted:

Betty Crocker used to make this stuff called Snackin' Cake. It was a completely unified cake mix, all you did was add water. It was the highest ratio of deliciousnes:effort ever, but it's not made anymore. And if you google for it it's supposedly from the 1970s, but goddamn it still existed post-9/11. And I can't find any reason why it was discontinued, so I guess maybe some obscure ingredient that made the whole mix work was source from endangered animal babies in the rainforest or something like that.

And don't even get me started on Pudding Pops. It's an indictment of modern society that those aren't available.

The reason why most prepared cake mixes tell you that you need to add an egg is because when they first came on the market people felt suspicious of them because it didn't feel like actually baking something unless they had to add more than just water.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Phanatic posted:

That one is never coming back. The marketing worked too well so there's... uh, an association.

fe: good use of "indictment" though!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trabant posted:

That one is never coming back. The marketing worked too well so there's... uh, an association.

fe: good use of "indictment" though!

What was the associati-*Checks note* Oh. Right.

Yeaaaahhh... :yikes:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phanatic posted:

What about Jell-O 1-2-3?!

My girlfriend just finished a full series X-Files re-watch, and for the first time I saw the "reboot" season from a couple years ago, and there's a joke about Scully's family only ever having an "in-universe" knock-off called "Goop-O A-B-C" but it made me remember Jell-O 1-2-3 and wonder why, of all the random old products that get brought back from time to time...it's never been that?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

It’s not from the 90’s but it is 90s adjacent. Retro Fighters Brawler 64 controller.

I also have a grape Funtastic N64! Not the greatest pic of it tho.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/nj5QLbG.mp4

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

My girlfriend just finished a full series X-Files re-watch, and for the first time I saw the "reboot" season from a couple years ago, and there's a joke about Scully's family only ever having an "in-universe" knock-off called "Goop-O A-B-C" but it made me remember Jell-O 1-2-3 and wonder why, of all the random old products that get brought back from time to time...it's never been that?
That was the episode about the Mandela Effect, the joke was that it was Jell-O 1-2-3 but it had been changed to Goop-O in her memory.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I remember going to the store trying to find "Jello Jigglers" and never seeing anything but regular Jello. I didn't realize much later that it wasn't a separate product and just a firmer set Jello that you make by using less water. I can't stand goopy Jello so I had just always made it like that. The Jiggler was always with me as it turns out.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be after 1 minute.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nowher posted:

I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be after 1 minute.

It wasn’t so bad, but I preferred the handset shoulder rests.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
I remember buy a 15 metre curly cord in my mid 20s. And for the first time in my life wasn't stuck standing there 1 metre from the handset for an entire conversation.

How many people in this thread know what this is:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

telephone table?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think every one of those I've seen has been from the 70s.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
I see a lot of them for sale on the local version of Craigslist in Melbourne.

Had to explain to a younger coworker what one was. Felt so drat old.

"Yes, there was a special table/chair for being on the phone. You were stuck to the one spot for the entire call. And before you could easily replace the handset cord, that meant a hard limit on how far you could go, so you just sat your rear end down next to the phone."

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sometimes the kitchen had a little office desk built into the countertop dedicated to The Phone!

I never questioned it as a kid

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

Sometimes the kitchen had a little office desk built into the countertop dedicated to The Phone!

I never questioned it as a kid

Well yeah, at a minimum you had a wall mounted bakelite rented from Ma Bell up in the kitchen.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
And then you had the little built-in phone alcoves in the hall.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i'm all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA0fZ3LARsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzWYUomBpwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aweAg7CSye8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZsVcoWRIkY

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Morphine positioning should have its X-axis flipped.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Der-Wreck posted:

It’s not from the 90’s but it is 90s adjacent. Retro Fighters Brawler 64 controller.

Little brother of one of our friends destroyed at least two of our frosted colored N64 controllers in rage from Smash and Mario Kart

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

pretty sure whoever made this never listened to the gin blossoms aside from follow you down

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
How are Smashing Pumpkins more happy than the Offspring? They have an album called Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness ffs.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Der-Wreck posted:

How's the build quality on the retro fighters stuff? Been thinking off-and-on about buying a usb 64 controller since my college roommate nicked my original with adaptoid:tm:.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

deoju posted:

How are Smashing Pumpkins more happy than the Offspring? They have an album called Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness ffs.

its a bullshit chart and im mad!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

going to be thinking about where to place Placebo for the rest of the day

deoju posted:

chart maker really didn't understand the meaning of "Today"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
putting Morphine over there makes me think "horns" equals "happy" in the methodology. also missing some bands. where's Belly?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I'd put Smashing Pumpkins pretty deep in the Sad/Angry area.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Deftones: not horny?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Whoever made that chart has never listened to a single one of those bands

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Fwiw Adore was a pretty “up” album. Perfect is a solid song.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alaois posted:

Whoever made that chart has never listened to a single one of those bands

Pearl Jam being on the happy/horny side of things, however slightly, sure is a choice among many other choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only ever heard the one mazzy star song, featured in the fistfight scene in Starship Troopers. But yeah it was a sad song.