Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

BlazetheInferno posted:

The Starcraft 1 LP currently in progress by JohnKilltrane decided to turn Horner into the Magistrate, but that is purely creative license rather than any indication of canon.

Oh, that's why I was so sure SC1 Magistrate = Matt Horner

PurpleXVI posted:

Casualties in the billions within at most a few days? Yeah, someone really loved Warhammer 40k because we're getting these insane inflated numbers getting thrown around that clearly no one understands.

Same thing happened to number of planets - SC1 and Brood War had pretty small amount of colonized planets, SC2 started throwing them left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Szarrukin posted:

Oh, that's why I was so sure SC1 Magistrate = Matt Horner

In fairness, so did everyone, 'cept the ones actually writing this thing.
In contrast to Matt being a logical choice to be magistrate (and isn't), the canon protoss players got it in reverse - it makes absolute no sense that Artanis's the executor, yet he is.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Gun Jam posted:

In fairness, so did everyone, 'cept the ones actually writing this thing.

Didn't the guys doing the SC2 VLP say that as well?

That'd been a good LP. The guy doing it was really great at micro. It was fun to watch. But also terrifying.

"Man, I could never play that well... how does he do it?!"

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Marauders

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Marauders

Never had fun with Firebats, but Marauders are hella sweet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Firebats are really only useful for positional defense missions. There are a lot of positional defense missions. Stick 1-2 of them in a bunker, or even in front of a bunker, and they help a lot with keeping swarms manageable.

Matt Horner using convict as an insult is nonsensical. Not only is every human government in the Korhal Sector fundamentally broken, but Matt Horner is himself a "criminal" wanted by the dominant government. Matt Horner has spent his life fighting against the cops and with convicts or future-convicts.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Horner absolutely still thinks of himself as a disciplined military man, though. Hell, look how he dresses. No way he doesn't think of himself as a different brand of criminal than Tychus, a more respectable one who in a more just world wouldn't be a criminal - but Tychus still would be. People like Jim are also special exceptions.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Plus he lives in space prison camp sector. The place was colonized by convicts.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FoolyCharged posted:

Plus he lives in space prison camp sector. The place was colonized by convicts.

Space Australia.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Marauders. There's a reason Firebats aren't available in ladder play, and that's because the SC2 version is situational at best.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In short, Matt Horner views Raynor's Raiders as being in the right. Mengsk is the real criminal; it's just that what he stole was a seat of power which allows him to falsely pin Raynor's Raiders as criminals instead.

As far as Matt's concerned, his only crime is fighting to protect people and trying to create a better future for everyone.

Tychus is a more conventional criminal. Theft, piracy, murder, etc. Raynor may have similar crimes in his background, but he turned that around, had a job as a Marshall, and is now leading the Raiders to fight for a better future. Tychus is fresh out of a prison breakout, as far as Matt's aware. The fact that his first act was to track down his old buddy Raynor and offer a job stealing stuff to sell for profit doesn't inspire confidence in Tychus being at all reformed for his crimes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Szarrukin posted:

Same thing happened to number of planets - SC1 and Brood War had pretty small amount of colonized planets, SC2 started throwing them left and right.

How much time passes between the 3 colony ships ending up in koprulu sector and StarCraft 1?

Weren't there originally only like 24 thousand people and didn't a bunch of them get nuked by earth when earth found out the colonies were doing alright?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Nah, the mass nuking of korhal was a confederates weapon test. So just the local government making sure their shiny new weapon of subjugation worked

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Story-wise, Horner's doing the narratively necessary job of being the guy who is rightfully suspicious of Tychus. Raynor instinctively trusts him, but you the player know that Tychus has some kind of deal with Mengsk. Horner's here to remind you that, while Raynor trusts him, you shouldn't, and adds a bit of conflict and disagreement to the protagonists who otherwise all get along pretty well.

Blizzard's just not good at writing character conflicts, so they have Horner be irrational about the convict thing rather than pointing out that Tychus never takes off his suit, that he seems to have no remorse about being a thief and murderer, or that Tychus tends to act like a drunken loser.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

He also evades every attempt by raynor to know what happened to him. Raynor doesn't push because old friends and Tychus didn't prisoner dilemma him, but its pretty noticeable every time raynor asks about anything following his 'release".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say, Tychus does freely confess that he is actually sealed inside the suit until he pays off his debts when asked why he was still wearing it on the bridge, and Raynor and Horner seem to accept that at face value; and it IS technically true.

It's just, there's a lot more to it than that, and we haven't been made privy to that yet.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I talked about the planets/population thing before: the terrans had 13 worlds total in starcraft one. 9 of them were mulched by the end of the terran campaign. This degraded by the time of Brood War with the number becoming far fuzzier and SC2 is basically just a different setting with the same names.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

We as viewers/players also know that Tychus's suit of power armor was made to be his "prison" carried with him wherever he goes, thanks to the opening cutscene. It's pretty safe to guess that he isn't being punished by being made permanently strong and sturdy, so something must be up about the suit itself other than being welded shut.

Also I forgot to vote earlier. Firebats, because I feel bad leaving missions waiting that have some implication of mortal urgency (for someone, anyway) in the description, and it sounds like a lot of people are in danger there.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well presumably it's not like the Spartan armor.

BoxofWoe
Jan 12, 2019
Firebats are perfect children and can do no wrong

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

disposablewords posted:

We as viewers/players also know that Tychus's suit of power armor was made to be his "prison" carried with him wherever he goes, thanks to the opening cutscene. It's pretty safe to guess that he isn't being punished by being made permanently strong and sturdy, so something must be up about the suit itself other than being welded shut.

I assume he would like out of it eventually to do things like bathe, have sex, feel the sun, etc.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Sure, but even so that doesn't seem like meaningful enough for Mengsk to hold over Tychus's head like that while also letting him out of prison. It's not like nobody else anywhere in the sector could crack a suit open, if that's all that was going on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I always get Marauders first, so let’s give the Firebats their brief day in the sun.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
On Horner's case: there's also precedence to them changing their mind on an ex-player character.

At the game's announcement, Diablo 3s male Barbarian was described as the same PC from Diablo 2, now in his old age. During development, they dropped this idea (probably due to having decided that the Diablo 3 PC is the specialest of all PCs and thus must be new), while not changing the character's appearance.

I always suspect Diablo 3's female Barbarian - a buff redhead who doesn't appear old - to be initially conceived as another returning character, so that she would have story parity with the male Barbarian, and they could share class-specific dialog that posit them as past heroes. She could be Charsi, the Rogue blacksmith, who expressed admiration at the Barbarian in her dialog. The world almost being destroyed is the perfect opportunity to discover your true self and make a midlife job change. :angel:

cuc fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 12, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Sure, but even so that doesn't seem like meaningful enough for Mengsk to hold over Tychus's head like that while also letting him out of prison. It's not like nobody else anywhere in the sector could crack a suit open, if that's all that was going on.

There may be a bomb or injected poison or some other poo poo that goes off if marines get their suits removed illegally.

The correct answer though is "don't think about it too hard, it's a blizzard story"

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Maybe it's what the giant codpiece is for. Remember people getting locked in cages because of Internet of Things?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fajita Queen posted:

There may be a bomb or injected poison or some other poo poo that goes off if marines get their suits removed illegally.

The correct answer though is "don't think about it too hard, it's a blizzard story"

It's this.

Starcraft has always been the softest of science fictions, or to quote that unit from 1 "This is not warcraft 2 in space" (it totally is).
Tychus has something to keep him in check. An AI in the suit watching his every step. A quantum entanglement doohickey* broadcasting everything to Mensgk. A psionic 8-ball divining a betrayal. A farseer for warcraft that got isekai-d in starcraft and is in Mengsk's employ. A D&D cleric. The girls scouts. Renegade commander Shepard. Details don't matter.

*Morbo: "Quantum mechanics does not work that way!"

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Omobono posted:

A farseer for warcraft that got isekai-d in starcraft

That would be fun.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Fajita Queen posted:

Well presumably it's not like the Spartan armor.

Maybe he doesn't want to get out of the suit because he imagines that it is. Inside his head he keeps calling himself Master Chief and John Halo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I thought for a while that marines couldn't get out of their suits because most marines are dead after like 60 seconds on a battlefield so why would they ever need to worry about how to get out?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I thought for a while that marines couldn't get out of their suits because most marines are dead after like 60 seconds on a battlefield so why would they ever need to worry about how to get out?

This is probably the idea behind the convict marines sealed in. I doubt they need any more encouragement to stay in there than the fact they're welded in, since they'd have to go AWOL, escape whatever base they're stationed at, and get to whoever might be capable of taking it off. And those units would just be deployed directly into a zerg hive or what have you.

None of that applies to Tychus, of course. Maybe whatever is in it for him is just worth sticking to the terms of the deal.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

This is probably the idea behind the convict marines sealed in. I doubt they need any more encouragement to stay in there than the fact they're welded in, since they'd have to go AWOL, escape whatever base they're stationed at, and get to whoever might be capable of taking it off. And those units would just be deployed directly into a zerg hive or what have you.

None of that applies to Tychus, of course. Maybe whatever is in it for him is just worth sticking to the terms of the deal.

Convict marines are "neurally resocialized." I. E. subject to heavy brainwashing and memory replacement. They aren't sealed into their armour because depending on sources they literally can't fight without being ordered to.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

NewMars posted:

Convict marines are "neurally resocialized." I. E. subject to heavy brainwashing and memory replacement. They aren't sealed into their armour because depending on sources they literally can't fight without being ordered to.

Fun fact, remember the horrible scream from the Terran Academy tech building in 1? That is the resocialization in action.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

They're just teaching all the Terrans how to do the Howie Scream!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Ashsaber posted:

Fun fact, remember the horrible scream from the Terran Academy tech building in 1? That is the resocialization in action.

No! My innocent childhood!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, that was supposed to be a bad scream? I always thought it sounded like a dude going "YEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They're just practicing their death screams, so that if they get hit by a hydralisk spine, they can play dead to survive until the siege tanks arrive

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, that was supposed to be a bad scream? I always thought it sounded like a dude going "YEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!"
Right? Especially with the weirdly cheerful music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Right? Especially with the weirdly cheerful music.

And it's where the drugs come from! Why wouldn't they be happy to get their stims?