Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
MP Rhinox was apparently announced! No images were allowed. https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/06/09/masterpiece-rhinox-announced-at-tokyo-toy-show-2023-486670

Woooo. I was getting worried. Last official MP BW was 2020 (Tigatron).

And yeah, no idea on how the Skybound license will be. I didn't even bother with the last IDW run. If I hear people saying how it's the second coming of MTMTE or something I'll check it out, but it launching as a "Hasbro universe" immediately brings back thoughts of the terrible Revolutionaries poo poo, and in general how bad things get whenever Hasbro threw its heavy hand into the creative storytelling. It having Kirkman is definitely cool, but I don't know if that'll be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
In Further Adventures of MinionOfCthulhu's Starspawn Playing With His Toys, he's been good and it's just me and him this weekend so I let him pick some figures from my Detolf and he got Siege Ironhide and Cyclonus. Ironhide turns into a fire truck according to him after I put his weapon on top. Cyclonus is his new favorite thing though, since he's big and chunky and not fiddly (Ironhide's leg panels love to pop off if you breathe on them). Also, I've had Cyclonus since he came out but I never transformed him, and DANG this is a good transformation.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

In Further Adventures of MinionOfCthulhu's Starspawn Playing With His Toys, he's been good and it's just me and him this weekend so I let him pick some figures from my Detolf and he got Siege Ironhide and Cyclonus. Ironhide turns into a fire truck according to him after I put his weapon on top. Cyclonus is his new favorite thing though, since he's big and chunky and not fiddly (Ironhide's leg panels love to pop off if you breathe on them). Also, I've had Cyclonus since he came out but I never transformed him, and DANG this is a good transformation.

That nose cone is perfection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw ROTB today with my dad, I liked it a lot. All three of the Terrorcons were badasses, the action was great, Mirage ruled, all around I had a good time. My dad liked it too and he knows next to nothing about Transformers.

They did Airazor dirty though, killing her off and she never even got to transform. I guess we’ll never know which of her toys has the accurate robot mode.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xZAOx posted:

MP Rhinox was apparently announced! No images were allowed. https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/06/09/masterpiece-rhinox-announced-at-tokyo-toy-show-2023-486670

Woooo. I was getting worried. Last official MP BW was 2020 (Tigatron).

And yeah, no idea on how the Skybound license will be. I didn't even bother with the last IDW run. If I hear people saying how it's the second coming of MTMTE or something I'll check it out, but it launching as a "Hasbro universe" immediately brings back thoughts of the terrible Revolutionaries poo poo, and in general how bad things get whenever Hasbro threw its heavy hand into the creative storytelling. It having Kirkman is definitely cool, but I don't know if that'll be enough.
Kirkman means that the robo-gore is going to be off the charts, to the point where I feel like I'm subsidising his fetish and feeling weird about it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Fil5000 posted:

That nose cone is perfection.

It's CRAZY how it fits into his chest. And he just looks so GOOD in robot mode.

I had to take him away though; son launched it across the room making pew pew noises.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It's CRAZY how it fits into his chest. And he just looks so GOOD in robot mode.

I had to take him away though; son launched it across the room making pew pew noises.

Now give him ROTF Jetfire or Leader Optimus, and tell him he doesn’t get to eat until he transforms them from robot to alt mode and back.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Arquinsiel posted:

Kirkman means that the robo-gore is going to be off the charts, to the point where I feel like I'm subsidising his fetish and feeling weird about it.

I'd be impressed if it topped Roberts, heh.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

Now give him ROTF Jetfire or Leader Optimus, and tell him he doesn’t get to eat until he transforms them from robot to alt mode and back.

Bean Dad? Is that you?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I saw RotB today as a slightly belated birthday present to myself (and I may have picked up Legacy Skyquake and Transmetal Megatron after...) and I enjoyed it. Mrs. Randalor said she enjoyed it as well, though she didn't know who any of the characters were (did they ever actually namedrop Battletrap?). I tapped out of the Bay films after Dark of the Moon, and I didn't regret watching this one in the slightest, even with the expensive fancy seats in the theaters. I'm just curious where they go with the next movie. Come on Headmasters or Skylynx!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ROTB was a blast. I guess Bay was involved but it didn't feel like it almost at all, the humor was very good, mirage was fun as hell, got a lot of good laughs out of me. the epilogue scene was fantastic, too. I feel like it was missing a few things to make things not feel like "I am saying this thing to get us to move on to the next scene" in some places, but ultimately it was fine in that regard. My biggest complaint is the lack of maximals doing stuff, especially like...saying anything(besides airrazor or primal), and they transform for basically no reason(and only are transformed for a single scene), cheetor and rhinox are just there to fill space. does rhinox even say a single line? I don't think he does. now I know why rattrap isn't in the movie, because he'd never shut up, and they clearly didn't want to have more than two highly-animated speaking animal robots. Also Stratosphere just showing up and saying "hi I'm stratosphere" and that's literally the extent of his character for the entire movie was funny, but a bummer.

The MSJ posted:

Optimus Primal also said Ancient Aliens is stupid. Not literally, but it's implied.
this part ruled, I love that. "oh all those amazing ancient structures, you must have made those, right?" "lol nah do you think humans are incapable of making cool poo poo, dumbass"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 11, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I loved the Ancient Aliens line too that was nice. Overall I thought it was fine, not as fun as Bumblebee but better than the Bay films. I think things just kinda moved too fast and had too many characters to get to really shine. Mirage was fun but I really wish they'd let Bumblebee talk and not have Prime be so loving murderous. Also I wish the other sounds wasn't so loud cuz they hyped up the Unicron theme and I could barely hear it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Randalor posted:

I saw RotB today as a slightly belated birthday present to myself (and I may have picked up Legacy Skyquake and Transmetal Megatron after...) and I enjoyed it. Mrs. Randalor said she enjoyed it as well, though she didn't know who any of the characters were (did they ever actually namedrop Battletrap?).
I think he gets mentioned when he first shows up.

Also is it really a spoiler when his toy has been out for a while, and he's all over the trailers?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I think he gets mentioned when he first shows up.

Also is it really a spoiler when his toy has been out for a while, and he's all over the trailers?

It just came out and gently caress if I know what counts as a spoiler. I completely missed his name being said if they did say it early on.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They did Bluestreak dirty in the movie

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xZAOx posted:

I'd be impressed if it topped Roberts, heh.
I'd be surprised if it didn't within the first arc.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I enjoyed ROTB but good lord does it fall apart in the final act. Like, everything makes sense and flows naturally up to the bad guys getting the second half of the key and then it feels like they handed the script to someone else. Stuff like introducing the issue that the shutdown code is split in two and then IMMEDIATELY resolving it, human scale tunnels in the tower that don't appear to serve any purpose other than getting the heroes to the console, it's all necessary contrivance I know but it doesn't match the energy and pace of the rest of the film. I had a lot of fun regardless and my youngest kid punched the air when Bee leapt out of Stratosphere to the strains of LL Cool J, so target audience achieved.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope there are two more SS ROTB deluxe Mirages and also a voyager one

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maybe they thought having very similarly named characters (Rattrap and Battletrap) in a movie would be confusing.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Invictus posted:

I guess Bay was involved but it didn't feel like it almost at all

Bay's contract gives him a producer credit on any live action TF stuff. He was not involved in ROTB at all beyond that.

I do agree the humor was a step up, and the best line in the movie is Prime's "I don't want you going to that drive-in theater anymore" crack. But the extremely weird interaction between Noah and Wheeljack when they first arrive in Peru left the entire audience dead silent in my opening night screening. I have no idea what they were going for there.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I was surprised that there wasn't a "trukk not monkey" joke in the movie

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Here it is

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Here's some good news, Rise of the Beast did better than predicted numbers than previously expected. Still below the Bay ones but better than Bumblebee.

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J...%5Es1_&ref_url= https://twitter.com/BORReport/statu...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Oh they're already doing a shared universe? I'm already not really interested in the new comics.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I kind of expect them to incorporate MASK and VENOM as sub factions of GIJoe and Cobra using Transformer tech.

Fairly sure that's what they did last time as well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If the next movie is a GI Joe/Transformers crossover, it better have both Starscream and Cobra Commander with the same actor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Randalor posted:

If the next movie is a GI Joe/Transformers crossover, it better have both Starscream and Cobra Commander with the same actor.

Do it like they did on Legends of Tomorrow and do the meta joke where they need Starscream to say something so they get Cobra Commander to do it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Good Listener posted:

Oh they're already doing a shared universe? I'm already not really interested in the new comics.

God, imagine Transformers existing in a shared universe. Ridiculous concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofmv2ZF59GA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

How have we had a decade of movies without a Starscream? That's wild. (a few seconds with no dialog at the start of Bumblebee doesn't count)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dabir posted:

On top of that, Transformers itself started out as a combination of 2 different toy lines. It's always been a shared universe, just a big ol' Katamari attaching more universes to it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Crossover Transformers and the MCU, cowards!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eh, just because the brand has a history of crossing over doesn’t mean everyone has to be super stoked on crossover content.

I’m not interested in more hasbro property crossovers either, it’s where I fell off the IDW books in the end because there’s just no part of me that gives even a little bit of a poo poo about MASK or GI Joe or any of their other properties.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dabir posted:

Famous fact, Transformers were in Marvel cannon as seen in this issue until they got removed. They were removed due to being perceived as too great of a impact upon the Marvel Universe. You know, the one in space aliens, world eaters, beyonders, and whatever Gods you shake a stick at.

Also they put Circuit Breaker in a Secret Wars issue before her debut to keep the character. And then never did anything with her in the marvel universe proper.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I really hope the TF franchise doesn’t cross over with GI Joe. The transformers movies are super serious cinema, and I can’t have it be silly. Having Snake Eyes show up will disallow new films from being in the Criterion Collection like the previous ones.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Thankfully no TF movies had humans beating them up already.

Imagine if that happened.

Humans killing Trasnformers, oh so laughable am I right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Last Call posted:

Famous fact, Transformers were in Marvel cannon as seen in this issue until they got removed. They were removed due to being perceived as too great of a impact upon the Marvel Universe. You know, the one in space aliens, world eaters, beyonders, and whatever Gods you shake a stick at.

Also they put Circuit Breaker in a Secret Wars issue before her debut to keep the character. And then never did anything with her in the marvel universe proper.

Which is weird because they managed to use Death's Head in things and he not only was part of the TF universe but they got him into the main Marvel universe via a Doctor Who crossover, his poo poo was so much more convoluted than CBs.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Fil5000 posted:

Which is weird because they managed to use Death's Head in things and he not only was part of the TF universe but they got him into the main Marvel universe via a Doctor Who crossover, his poo poo was so much more convoluted than CBs.

I've been wondering about that, figured it might have to do with UK laws being a bit different.

Or maybe they did the same trick ala CB.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Last Call posted:

I've been wondering about that, figured it might have to do with UK laws being a bit different.

Or maybe they did the same trick ala CB.

It was said for a while that there was an advert strip for him as a character that they put in other Marvel UK titles before he first appeared in the TF comics, but there's something sketchy about the timeline for it. Maybe Hasbro just didn't notice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

I kind of expect them to incorporate MASK and VENOM as sub factions of GIJoe and Cobra using Transformer tech.

Fairly sure that's what they did last time as well.

Correct. Miles Mayhem headed up Cobra's special weapons division - separate from Destro who also does that - and used research from a vivisected Blitzwing to come up with MASK vehicles. He recruited a lot of the characters from MASK but Matt Trakker took the good guys on the run when they figured out Miles was a baddie.

Randalor posted:

Get Tom Kenny to do it. He was great as Starscream in Animated and I'm sure he could do a fine Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
There's been no real reason to use Josie since, she's just another rando 'hates big robots' lady. Actually, screw it, let her join the X-Men on Krakoa, she'd probably love to go gently caress up Nimrod and some Sentinels.