Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i went to cycle works yesterday and the guy pitched me on a Giant Escape 2 hybrid for $750 which looked pretty nice. i walk by the mike's every week or two days but haven't been in yet.

I'm looking for something primarily to ride to work and for errands and also for fun/fitness. im not ready to go full pfc.

if pfc recommends giant then that's probably good

The giant escape 2 was my portal back into cycling in 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Does America have the "get loads of people on the road driving slowly together" variety of protests?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah you gotta pretend you just had an industrial oopsie

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Yeah if you are gonna lock your bike up, get a U-lock. Those are pretty hard to crack open. Cable locks are useless. I've even seen bikes locked with 2 ulocks; one ulock for frame and rear wheel, and another lock for the front wheel.

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah you gotta pretend you just had an industrial oopsie

This is the answer. Start a small business llc with a terrible safety record.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've got a lock that's a U-lock plus a cable, so if you can't get close enough to a pole/you're just running inside somewhere, you can still lock it up. But yeah, I've had probably half a dozen bikes stolen in my lifetime, it really sucks. It was so bad that I started insuring them and had to wait like four hours at the police station for some lazy gently caress to fill out a form I could send to the insurance company.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's enough to make you want a foldie just so you can bring it everywhere

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's enough to make you want a foldie just so you can bring it everywhere

did someone say foldie

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
no! no!!

did a flat mostly paved trail 25 miles today and hoo boy am I fuckin out of shape, haven’t done any serious rides since I had covid :(

the only non trail part was a 2 mile climb on a scorching hot 55 mph state highway dodging truk and carbrains just waiting for my buddy to blow a tire on some godawful road debris

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

UKJeff posted:

Or maybe it’s just a POC that doesn’t want to get racially profiled by the police

sure, i guess that's the other option. but at least where i live super tinted windows are up there with fake paper tags and muscle cars in terms of highest correlation with cars that are going 20 mph over the speed limit and running red lights

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Does America have the "get loads of people on the road driving slowly together" variety of protests?

Yeah and we do that protest twice a day every day

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Yeah if you are gonna lock your bike up, get a U-lock. Those are pretty hard to crack open. Cable locks are useless. I've even seen bikes locked with 2 ulocks; one ulock for frame and rear wheel, and another lock for the front wheel.

This is the answer. Start a small business llc with a terrible safety record.

I'm going to get the biggest baddest lock i can. the last bike i owned was in college and it got stolen off of my second floor balcony.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

i went to cycle works yesterday and the guy pitched me on a Giant Escape 2 hybrid for $750 which looked pretty nice. i walk by the mike's every week or two days but haven't been in yet.

I'm looking for something primarily to ride to work and for errands and also for fun/fitness. im not ready to go full pfc.

if pfc recommends giant then that's probably good
are you looking at the escape 2 for the disc? disc brakes are very nice to have if you ride in bad weather, dirt, or with heavy loads; otherwise there's little improvement over a properly adjusted rim brake. but they also aren't something you can add later so it may be worth it if you're getting really into heavy loads or off-roady.

i guess it also depends on how much you think theft is likely. this area is super bad for bike theft, even just parts like taking off a flashlight or seatpost or bell. so it's a good bike, but you could save yourself $200 with a marin fairfax or escape 3 and the biggest difference would be rim brakes and woujld at least lessen the pain of losing it. but anyways its a solid good choice

ultimately the most important thing is to test em out and see which one feels right. it's kinda like buying a car is you shouldn't just buy on a name alone. bike shops should have some variety to demo

you'll definitely want to invest in 2 big as u-locks and imo a pinhead seatpost + axle locking is worth it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Y9X328?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_8&amp=&crid=37LFT5ZELDWY7&amp=&sprefix=pinhead+ they aren't infallible but the goal of any bike locking set is to make the rube bike next to yours the more attractive target. so many times ive came back from bart and like all the bikes next to me are in pieces or clearly cut locks scattered all over but mine is untouched. i did have someone attempt to steal it, get frustrated, then slash the tire and seat instead. still better than having it stolen.

it's definitely not just enough to lock your frame or wheel, you gotta also lock the seat and everything. axle locks at least make it so you could probably skimp on a 2nd ulock and just lockup the frame+front wheel. definitely dont leave it outside until you have a solid seatpost lock.

otherwise folding bike is good and the safest option since you can just bring it in with you. bromptons ftw

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Jun 12, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Do disc brakes on a road bike try to throw you over the handlebars like they do on a mountain bike? Or has that problem since been solved somehow?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Do disc brakes on a road bike try to throw you over the handlebars like they do on a mountain bike? Or has that problem since been solved somehow?

They're fine so long as you don't have the habit of death-gripping the brakes while going full speed downhill. There's a bit more grip than rim brakes but plenty of range when applying it.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
i did 40 miles today on my giant escape 2 and it was a great time :)

with disc brakes yeah you have to feather the brakes and lean more on the rear wheel than the front. i've had my bike nearly three years and the front brake pad is still fine but i've had to replace my rear one from overuse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Giant Escape 3, I will post pics after I pick it up from the bike store

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought a new bike to replace my stolen one. It's a Giant Escape - it's so much lighter than my old one, feels like it flies at the slightest provocation. It's very nice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got back into cycling with a Giant Escape, it's a good bike.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My partner has a giant escape. She absolutely loves it. I put on some neon blue grips that match the color accents and it's quite the looker.

Shear Modulus posted:

i went to cycle works yesterday and the guy pitched me on a Giant Escape 2 hybrid for $750 which looked pretty nice.

Petanque posted:

i did 40 miles today on my giant escape 2 and it was a great time :)

more and more people are saying this!!!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mawarannahr posted:

most folks I know in Seattle have had their bikes stolen multiple times. I can't imagine dropping more than like $400-500. I just walk cause I'm scared of getting run over.

when I lived along Burke Gilman and limebikes were reasonably priced thanks to competition and low interest rates I would use those quite often. it was nice not to worry about leaving the bike somewhere and being able to return by bus, walking etc.
Counterpoint: I never had my bike stolen despite leaving it locked on the street daily for like 14 years until I moved away. All sorts of sketchy places, late at night, whatever. U-lock around the frame and cable lock on the wheels. A lot of people are *still* use cable locks or else don’t understand how to properly lock. Like it’s super common to see people just lock their wheels. :negative:

A bike locked with a good u-lock to something solid will almost never get stolen. The only good way is with a car jack, and that needs enough room.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if anyone watching The Lockpicking Lawyer has ever used those powers for evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z31B-mcD6WQ

EDIT: [I am not trying to scare anyone off]

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if anyone watching The Lockpicking Lawyer has ever used those powers for evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z31B-mcD6WQ

EDIT: [I am not trying to scare anyone off]
Just don’t use the old ones that can be opened with a bic pen. Lock picking is something almost never done by criminals.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as penance let's share an educational video about how to properly lock your bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9erXJvByE

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

cat botherer posted:

Counterpoint: I never had my bike stolen despite leaving it locked on the street daily for like 14 years until I moved away. All sorts of sketchy places, late at night, whatever. U-lock around the frame and cable lock on the wheels. A lot of people are *still* use cable locks or else don’t understand how to properly lock. Like it’s super common to see people just lock their wheels. :negative:

A bike locked with a good u-lock to something solid will almost never get stolen. The only good way is with a car jack, and that needs enough room.

Also get a good u-lock. I bought a cheapo abus one and the lock stopped working. I had call someone to pick me and a friend up because our bikes were locked together. It was a smaller lock and I couldn't get a car jack in it so I ended up taking a hacksaw to it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

yeah that was kind of my thought around it is that if it is VIEWED as a pro environmental action it would get slapped with terrorism against "vital infra" but otherwise it would probably end up just being hit with defacing public property or something along those lines.

I mean people just utterly wreck infra constantly with no real consequences like the lunatics who hit all the signs and poo poo in my neighborhood but they're just drunk and or inattentive so it aint tho thang.

*extremely lawyer voice*: Listen buster do you even know what mens rea means *fumbles with door handle, struggles to get into car with half empty handle of liquor*

500excf type r posted:

I've considered making inverted speed bumps in my road

Do you want motocrossers becaues that's how you get motocrossers

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Jun 12, 2023

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
If you are looking for disc brakes, hydraulic disc brakes offer the most benefits except weight over rim brakes but cost $$$
Mechanical disc brakes not worth it over proper rim brakes imo

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

go for a stroll has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Jun 12, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

Good morning in America!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

More like mourning

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Junkozeyne posted:

If you are looking for disc brakes, hydraulic disc brakes offer the most benefits except weight over rim brakes but cost $$$
Mechanical disc brakes not worth it over proper rim brakes imo

Mechanical disc brakes are totally worth it, just for the lack of brake dust. And a lot cheaper and easier to service than hydraulic.

Groda has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Jun 12, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wash bucket posted:

This has basically nothing to do with the type of brake, unless it's a super bad brake. The cause of throwing you over the handlebars is that the wheel relative to the road but you have a ton of momentum so you continue forwards, which then turns the bike (and you) around the front wheel axis, which then kills you. On the rear wheel, same thing happens, except the direction of the momentum is so that the front wheel tries to go down, which it can't, so less problem.

In sum, hard brake using the back break, and in general probably do 60/40 back/front braking, regardless of type.

Unless you're in a car, in which case engage the parking brake and don't ever let go.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BonHair posted:

More like mourning

It's mourning in America again

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BonHair posted:

This has basically nothing to do with the type of brake, unless it's a super bad brake. The cause of throwing you over the handlebars is that the wheel relative to the road but you have a ton of momentum so you continue forwards, which then turns the bike (and you) around the front wheel axis, which then kills you. On the rear wheel, same thing happens, except the direction of the momentum is so that the front wheel tries to go down, which it can't, so less problem.

In sum, hard brake using the back break, and in general probably do 60/40 back/front braking, regardless of type.

Unless you're in a car, in which case engage the parking brake and don't ever let go.

I was gonna say, this is a physics problem not a bike hardware problem!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I was gonna say, this is a physics problem not a bike hardware problem!

I have multiple bikes and the one with hydraulic disc brakes is the only one where I have to be careful of the front brake like that. Maybe newer ones aren't as touchy.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Keep in mind that if you absolutely have to stop RIGHT NOW it is still better to pull both brakes equally hard while trying to move your hip back as much as possible. While braking more force (/mass) is working in the front wheel meaning more braking power. If you have some quiet road or something you can test stopping distance between only front and back brakes, the difference is very noticeable. Nothing to do with the ability of the brake on the wheel itself.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Deceleration will cause your weight to shift forwards, and therefore reduce the braking power of your rear brake. My advice to anyone who rides a bike is to practice braking exclusively with your front brake. That way, once you learn how to control your front brake, you'll have far shorter stopping distances and way more control in case you need to perform an emergency brake.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I use front brake almost exclusively on hard surfaces and rear brake more on loose terrain. I gotta try out using both at the same time and compare to front only. Pretty sure when I've had to panic emergency brake I end up grabbing em both because I remember the last time I did it for real the rear started skidding a bit

mystes
May 31, 2006

wash bucket posted:

to add to what other people saying, to get the maximum braking power in an emergency, you need to be able to lock the front wheel. If your brake isn't strong enough to do that, you're increasing the stopping distance and essentially it's set up wrong.

however I guess this is somewhat unintuitive so people get confused about it a lot

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

wash bucket posted:

I have multiple bikes and the one with hydraulic disc brakes is the only one where I have to be careful of the front brake like that. Maybe newer ones aren't as touchy.

I mean, the reason you risk getting thrown is because good disc brakes absolutely fuckin STOP their wheel lol

mystes posted:

to add to what other people saying, to get the maximum braking power in an emergency, you need to be able to lock the front wheel. If your brake isn't strong enough to do that, you're increasing the stopping distance and essentially it's set up wrong.

however I guess this is somewhat unintuitive so people get confused about it a lot

yeah, it's not "bad" to have an extremely powerful brake, just gotta remember to use them correctly, because you are not meaningfully attached to the bike you're taking from 20 to 0 in half a second

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
nobody here is so dumb they don't understand basic physics. imho any product that can so easily toss you to the ground maybe isn't a perfect product, particularly for newer riders

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Polo-Rican posted:

nobody here is so dumb they don't understand basic physics.

for certain values of "here" and "basic"... sure

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

nobody here is so dumb they don't understand basic physics. imho any product that can so easily toss you to the ground maybe isn't a perfect product, particularly for newer riders

How a moving object behaves when losing traction is also basic physics, prepare to be surprised at what happens regularly when it snows/ices over.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/Lussenpop/status/1668290757931810821?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Big trucks kill so many people and they do all the wear and tear on the roads and they just suck so much cause all the problems I kind of wish we hadn't based our whole economic system on long haul trucking