Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Been musing about Zelda and her feeling so passive when her cutscenes in BotW was more a feeling of frustration and futility, even if her actual impact on things was similar. Magic "wave a wand and it just works this way" tweaking I'd do to her story in Tears...
---Put Ganondorf transforming sooner, so there's more room to have Zelda and Rauru trying to fight a losing battle. He's struggling with regrets he didn't see it coming sooner and people he feels responsible for dying, she can sympathize from the Calamity.
--Zelda gets the Master Sword while this struggle's going on instead of afterward. She and Rauru attempt to use their light to restore it and that's when they figure out "it's working but it will take ages" instead of the Deku Tree happening to drop that info. They become active participants in finding the solution.
--The sacrifices become a joint deal as they put the pieces together, both of them knowing what they need to do in order to get the Demon King and the Master Sword to where they need to be. It becomes faith in each other and the plan they've made instead of faith in the mystical "this will all work out."

Still have the issue of using the "find these cutscenes in any order" system to try and tell a linear story instead of a bunch of vignettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

If they didn’t link them thematically to the shape of the geoglyphs they could have just presented them in order as you found the next tear. The story is pretty good and dark but suffers immensely from jumping around with too much real life time in between each vignette.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
110 hours and I beat the game tonight. 32 hearts, 68 armor, and I enter the place thinking I’ll be fine. I screwed up on food though which made the fight way more tense than it should have been.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They should have left it implied what happens to Zelda instead of Flux III Pounding you over the head with it; maybe add a sort of detective aspect to it by having Purah give you a device and going "trigger this item at the location where you think Zelda is". The description for the Light Dragon Scale already has interesting flavor text that could have just gently implied it!

But I realize that this isn't too accessible an approach for most people, so oh well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bruceski posted:

Still have the issue of using the "find these cutscenes in any order" system to try and tell a linear story instead of a bunch of vignettes.

Yeah, I liked the overall story better than BotW, but it felt much worse suited to being delivered in randomly ordered clips. The whole thing seems weirdly determined to chug on forwards in a set way, regardless of what contextual information you've run into in your playthrough.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's weird that you can't go and tell Impa what happened to Zelda when she's the one who kick-starts the dragon tears questline. Hell I don't even know where Impa is hanging out anymore, I haven't seen her for about 150 hours.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Frankston posted:

It's weird that you can't go and tell Impa what happened to Zelda when she's the one who kick-starts the dragon tears questline. Hell I don't even know where Impa is hanging out anymore, I haven't seen her for about 150 hours.

you can. she's still in that temple. says stuff about it and everything

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Frankston posted:

You absolutely can, she is where she said she was headed after the first one in a chasm near where you first met her.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol drat, I'm sure when I spoke to her after getting another dragon tear she just repeated the same dialogue. Guess I know where I'm going next.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Argue posted:

They should have left it implied what happens to Zelda instead of Flux III Pounding you over the head with it; maybe add a sort of detective aspect to it by having Purah give you a device and going "trigger this item at the location where you think Zelda is". The description for the Light Dragon Scale already has interesting flavor text that could have just gently implied it!

But I realize that this isn't too accessible an approach for most people, so oh well.

It's a zelda game. If they left things implied then no one would think it happened, since there's not usually a lot of story here no one would look for deeper meanings.

Also you can just go watch the tears in order after you get them all. Getting them in whatever order makes for different takes that people can talk about with eachother.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/switch_movie_ss/status/1667943992410124290?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

They act as a variation on the Flamebreaker/Zora/Rubber/Snowquill sets and give extra dialog I think? They don't give the set bonus though.

I didn’t get any helmet after the rito temple, only after the goron one. Do I need to talk to people? I rushed out to my next adventure as soon as I killed the boss there.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mister Olympus posted:

you can. she's still in that temple. says stuff about it and everything

You don't get anything out of it though, and as far as I can do she never does anything about it, but I guess it's nice they let you tie up that loose end even if it's pointless to do so.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I seem to be intent on doing everything in this game the hard way.

For the tutorial island, not sure if this is something other people are doing accidentally, but instead of going straight to the temple first thing after leaping down, I went the other way cause I was exploring and some stuff looked cool and I wanted to see it. At some point I jumped down in a way that was impossible to climb back up. I then spent the next few hours going around tutorial island clockwise, without any powers, until I hit the temple from the western side. So the whole area where they're trying to teach you how to use the powers to explore, only I had no powers to do so. Abused the hell out of stamina food to get around.

Then there was that one shrine by Kakariko village that is supposed to teach you about the zonai devices that make things stand up. Only I didn't know they were that and just thought they were weights to help counterbalance the towers I made/get some extra height. Took some serious trial and error to build that tower to get the absolute last pixel out of the height (even made the puzzle's ball a part of it) while still being able to have it be juuuust strong enough to not fall apart as I wedged it between the wall and a lantern and while still being able to ascend up to the top of it after climbing partway up and having just enough of a foothold that I could use ascend but without it compromising the height in any way. And then after finally managing to just barely cross the gap and finish it out, I go outside and discover a Zonai capsule machine. It drops something new. I see the description and it tells me what those "weights" actually do.

Now I hit everything looking vaguely Zonai-ish. And that's how I blew myself up with a time bomb.

GOTY.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

HPanda posted:

I seem to be intent on doing everything in this game the hard way.

For the tutorial island, not sure if this is something other people are doing accidentally, but instead of going straight to the temple first thing after leaping down, I went the other way cause I was exploring and some stuff looked cool and I wanted to see it. At some point I jumped down in a way that was impossible to climb back up. I then spent the next few hours going around tutorial island clockwise, without any powers, until I hit the temple from the western side. So the whole area where they're trying to teach you how to use the powers to explore, only I had no powers to do so. Abused the hell out of stamina food to get around.

Yeah unfortunately the tutorial area in this game is more linear than BotW's and doesn't work very well if you don't notice or choose not to follow the intended path. My wife had the same problem of not noticing the intended path and doing everything in the tutorial area "backwards" and had a much more long and difficult time with it than I did, she gets frustrated with games very easily and almost dropped the game because of it.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Dictator. posted:

I didn’t get any helmet after the rito temple, only after the goron one. Do I need to talk to people? I rushed out to my next adventure as soon as I killed the boss there.

Tulin has a sidequest that will lead you to it, yeah, same with the other regions.

Lots of quests open up after the main quest is completed so it's good to talk to everyone in town once you're back from the temple. I especially liked checking in with everyone in Rito village right after since all the adults come home and are super proud of the kids for keeping the place running while they were gone :3:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's a sidequest to go around to the leviathan skeletons and stuff bits back into them to please this bone fan. The last one doesn't have any bits missing, but it does have a juvenile skeleton the lady wants you to rebuild.

The skull makes a great car base.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dareon posted:

There's a sidequest to go around to the leviathan skeletons and stuff bits back into them to please this bone fan. The last one doesn't have any bits missing, but it does have a juvenile skeleton the lady wants you to rebuild.

The skull makes a great car base.

Yeah, I went to a couple of them before meeting Loone the ex-shrine-ball/guardian fan and was so stoked to be repairing the skeletons - I was convinced they'd come to life and swim off through the ceiling or something.

:smith:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, I went to a couple of them before meeting Loone the ex-shrine-ball/guardian fan and was so stoked to be repairing the skeletons - I was convinced they'd come to life and swim off through the ceiling or something.

:smith:

Oh, that's her! I'd been stoked to meet some of the other notable minor NPCs and just totally blanked that she was the guardian fan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://i.imgur.com/izPYHXa.mp4

I just learned how and parries look so dope in this game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Falling from somewhere you struggled to get to? Not anymore!

https://twitter.com/switch_movie_ss/status/1668168341528379392?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Using recall and then cancelling it stops the momentum of a moving object, which can be very handy when aiming for something on a wing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

snoremac posted:

And the mech is so weak and cumbersome!

Straight up, I thought it was going to be some Titanfall poo poo and I was going to stomp people's faces in but no, using it turned out to be completely miserable. Funny buddy to have around though I guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Accidentally updated your app and lost your dupe glitch?

Morals too good to cheat?

In game quick money making scheme:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7243510353928211754

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Steve Yun posted:

Too bad link didn’t get hired to be a marbled rock roast runner for the Hylian Intelligency Agency.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Steve Yun posted:

Tried it out with some savescumming and it's either specific flint are marked as ripened, complete RNG or you get the rupees per x attempts. I tried giving him 50 then 20, reloaded and gev him 20 twice and got the rupees the second time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

sonatinas posted:

Too bad link didn’t get hired to be a marbled rock roast runner for the Hylian Intelligency Agency.

Selling secret stones to bokoblins to pay for gorontra death squads

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 12, 2023

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Tried it out with some savescumming and it's either specific flint are marked as ripened, complete RNG or you get the rupees per x attempts. I tried giving him 50 then 20, reloaded and gev him 20 twice and got the rupees the second time.

good to know, i just spent nearly 1000 on a desert-proof outfit

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have done all but three caves. I was using the satori trees to mark them and then jumping at a tower and marking them on my map, but I wasn’t able ti find all of them that way. The only other way to narrow down where the caves are is to talk to Koltin and see if he detects Bubbulfrogs in the area. But I don’t understand the rules for where he spawns. So far I know I got all the caves in Akkala but I can’t get him to show up other places.

Sometimes the amount of content in this game is overwhelming. I’ve done all the shrines and sky islands (although I didn’t get every old map) but only about half of the depths.

Did anyone do the side quest/adventure that’s on top of the Temple of Time later in the game? I tried it but the flying machine I used wasn’t good enough.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

" posted:

Did anyone do the side quest/adventure that’s on top of the Temple of Time later in the game? I tried it but the flying machine I used wasn’t good enough.

Have you done the water temple yet?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I didn't think to build a machine for that I just used the paraglider and the Zora chestpiece to keep getting height and stamina from the waterfalls.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

HPanda posted:

Hah, I did the same thing. Took me half an hour to make my way back from the other side of the lake to the Temple. Didn't think I'd make it at a couple points.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Icedude posted:

I didn't think to build a machine for that I just used the paraglider and the Zora chestpiece to keep getting height and stamina from the waterfalls.

Haha holy poo poo that’s really smart, I’m gonna try that

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I did that way too, all the flying rocks with waterfalls were a big hint it was the way to go. Swimming up the waterfalls regens your stamina, too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Isn't that the intended way? I'm pretty sure it doesn't even unlock until you finish the water temple or get the Zora chestplate; at least, I didn't notice the Temple of Time glowing until just after I'd finished the water temple, which was 100 hours into the game.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I know there's not too much point to it, but I want to catch a wild horse with a 4/4/5 stat spread so I can have a head start on maxing it. It sounds like Zokassa Ridge is a good place but I've been having no luck. Is there an optimal place for good horses?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7243676586908732714

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I know there's not too much point to it, but I want to catch a wild horse with a 4/4/5 stat spread so I can have a head start on maxing it. It sounds like Zokassa Ridge is a good place but I've been having no luck. Is there an optimal place for good horses?

I think staying in the malanya bed at stables will give you hints on where they are.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

No Wave posted:

Any surprising high damage environmental attachments (ie, ones you cant put in your inventory)? The highest I've found is the gerudo village seal statue gives +10.

The bone pieces you find in the Gorons' area grant +7 and are rather plentiful. It was the attachment that taught me that Zonai swords retract to just their attachment and often look stubby as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sigher posted:

Straight up, I thought it was going to be some Titanfall poo poo and I was going to stomp people's faces in but no, using it turned out to be completely miserable. Funny buddy to have around though I guess.

If they'd made it into a super stomper people would complain about it being necessary to use.

Instead it's basically just in line with all the other sages. Adds some damage in combat if you let it just run around, and gives you extra utility when you're not fighting.