Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BrassRoots posted:

Mangos are still goat. Never not amazing.

you've just never had a fuckin gross rear end mango. they're out there, growing wild on trees. you will regret this!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i liked soju vov

a fine wine it is not, but versus lovely beer... eh, it's a tossup

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

McGavin posted:

They're called cherimoyas or custard apples here in Canada. And yes, they are good, even shipped halfway across the world.

You need to try the yellow ones.

Are we talking some cultivar of standard apples with an unusual flavour, or Annona senegalensis, a weird scaly tasty thing?

Because the latter is good, albeit in no way worth 60Y.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I know of those as paw-paws and they sounded interesting so I planted some seedlings in my woodsy backyard... but I think it's going to be a decade or more before they do anything interesting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pawpaws are weird for sure

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Dandywalken posted:

Pawpaws are weird for sure

They're a bear necessity

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atopian posted:

Are we talking some cultivar of standard apples with an unusual flavour, or Annona senegalensis, a weird scaly tasty thing?

Because the latter is good, albeit in no way worth 60Y.

Annona cherimola, which is related to the African soursop, but larger, tastier, and native to South America.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mozi posted:

I know of those as paw-paws and they sounded interesting so I planted some seedlings in my woodsy backyard... but I think it's going to be a decade or more before they do anything interesting.

Pawpaw, Asimina triloba, is also related to the soursops. It is in the same family, but a different genus. I'm trying to get my hands on some pawpaw seedlings, but it's hard to find varietals that are adapted to grow at the extreme north of their range in Canada.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 12, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mozi posted:

They can produce sooner than that. Ours don't produce a lot but they're big and very good when they do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BrassRoots posted:

Mangos are still goat. Never not amazing.

I want to like mangoes, I really do. They look incredible.

The skin looks amazing and the flesh looks just perfect. Even the texture feels amazing.

But then I bite into one and... nothing. There's something about the flavour that just makes me go meh.

Don't know why.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
biting right into a mango???

are you not cutting it like this

i find the yellower the mango the better

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No, I peel and cut them the usual way and put them in salads. It's just they look so full of promise, but the taste is like a boring cantaloupe.

The skin makes them look just so good. I mean look at this:

The idea of mangoes is delicious. The reality is disappointing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What the gently caress mangoes are you eating that taste like a boring cantaloupe?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You’re an rear end in a top hat.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I assume this is some sort of genetic thing, like Coriander

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just lol if you don't eat a mango by skinning it then havi g It on your hang while tearing the meat out of it. The point is your face is covered In mango juice by the end.

Doubles as A skin care supplement

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Not a big mango fan, but i graduated from hating it to thinking it's okay.

I got a big bag of frozen dragon fruit I keep meaning to thaw and taste...

Hi chew candy has led me on this journey of exotic fruit discovery

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Can't you find the fresh dragon fruit? Every supermarket I go to has them now.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, I peel and cut them the usual way

This IS the usual way to cut a mango, I dunno what the hell you're doing but you're doing it wrong.

Booty Pageant posted:

biting right into a mango???

are you not cutting it like this

i find the yellower the mango the better

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I think mangoes taste like meat sort of, and they have that chemical that dissolves tongue flesh like pineapple

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I have no idea what kind of mangoes people in this thread have been eating. :wtc:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

the taste is like a boring cantaloupe.
Those are probably severely underripe mangoes,especially if the texture is also comparable to cantaloupe. Like if you'd only ever eaten green tomatoes.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I love mangos just sayin

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Pretty sure there's a "mangoes taste bad" gene like cilantro has. Sucks to be those people I guess.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t think mangoes taste horrible but I’ve never enjoyed them

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Since I have only had them twice because of the previously mentioned throat closing up thing I can't speak definitively, but in that limited experience they're just fine, nothing amazing. One of those fruits that sounds like it should be great though for some ineffable reason.

The other fruit that really just sounds like it should be great but isn't, guava. I swear it's used as a flavoring in things almost entirely because people assume it's a delicious exotic fruit.

In reality it's like a mediocre apple with a meh texture and seeds in just the right way to make it annoying. I have tried many varieties at many stages of ripeness (which is a challenge because it doesn't last especially long) and theyre always very very just ok.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

BrainDance posted:

Since I have only had them twice because of the previously mentioned throat closing up thing I can't speak definitively, but in that limited experience they're just fine, nothing amazing. One of those fruits that sounds like it should be great though for some ineffable reason.

The other fruit that really just sounds like it should be great but isn't, guava. I swear it's used as a flavoring in things almost entirely because people assume it's a delicious exotic fruit.

In reality it's like a mediocre apple with a meh texture and seeds in just the right way to make it annoying. I have tried many varieties at many stages of ripeness (which is a challenge because it doesn't last especially long) and theyre always very very just ok.

I don't really eat guava very often but guava juice is great stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've had great mangos and i've had disgusting mangos. i've made pickled mangos that turned out horrible because i didn't realize that you can't just stew them in apple cider vinegar. they are a land of contrasts.

but okinawa pineapple, now THAT is a fruit

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Aiya not all mangoes are the same.

The Mexican and the Indian ones are different. And in the Philippines you have different varieties of mangoes.

Just like durian.

Or your Granny Smith apple is different from your fuji apples

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just letting you folks know that if you eat too much soursop or nibble on the seeds, you're going to get parkinson's.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BrainDance posted:

I think it's the name. "Mango" just sounds fun.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

BrainDance posted:

I’m sorry about your brain worms but mango is good and guava is loving amazing. Grandma has a tree out back and we use it to make jam. Wonderful stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My problem with mangoes is I can't cut them up decently, it's always a loving disaster. I have no idea how they make those nice square cut ones.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I can no longer find it because Youtube is a hellish nightmare of people trying to get noticed via Shorts, but years ago I watched a video where an Indian dude in boxers & an undershirt demonstrates how to eat a soft mango... basically you massage it thoroughly through the skin, then tear off the little stem stub and pour it out into a bowl. The fact that the dude was sitting there in his unlit kitchen in his underwear was critical to the video.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Grand Fromage posted:

My problem with mangoes is I can't cut them up decently, it's always a loving disaster. I have no idea how they make those nice square cut ones.

why I buy the giant bags of frozen mango

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
"What's a mango?"

"About 13 kilometres an hour if you threaten to shoot him."

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think it's the name. "Mango" just sounds fun.

This is what I think it is. Mango sounds fun, guava sounds exotic.

I tried this other niche fruit a couple weeks ago. It has a name in English I'm sure but it was sold to me as 鸡心黄皮果

It's the fruit of some pine tree. And that's what it tastes like, like a pine tree + a lemon with a little bit of some "funny" taste. So lemon pinesol I guess?

It wasn't bad, I actually kinda liked them, but I can absolutely see why they're not in every supermarket across the world.

I'm also all about these now which are decently common in fruit stores in China. Like a little tomatillo except sweet. They have a little bit of a vanilla flavor if you get them when they're perfectly ripe and I think they're really good.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Bum the Sad posted:

You’re an rear end in a top hat.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

BrainDance posted:

This is what I think it is. Mango sounds fun, guava sounds exotic.

I tried this other niche fruit a couple weeks ago. It has a name in English I'm sure but it was sold to me as 鸡心黄皮果

It's the fruit of some pine tree. And that's what it tastes like, like a pine tree + a lemon with a little bit of some "funny" taste. So lemon pinesol I guess?

It wasn't bad, I actually kinda liked them, but I can absolutely see why they're not in every supermarket across the world.

I'm also all about these now which are decently common in fruit stores in China. Like a little tomatillo except sweet. They have a little bit of a vanilla flavor if you get them when they're perfectly ripe and I think they're really good.

It looks like some kind of Longyan/ Lychee variant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I can no longer find it because Youtube is a hellish nightmare of people trying to get noticed via Shorts, but years ago I watched a video where an Indian dude in boxers & an undershirt demonstrates how to eat a soft mango... basically you massage it thoroughly through the skin, then tear off the little stem stub and pour it out into a bowl. The fact that the dude was sitting there in his unlit kitchen in his underwear was critical to the video.

When I do this I suck it out like gogurt