Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

I don't know if this is a stylistic choice I'm simply too old to get or if sped up Xavier: Renegade Angel is like an AI generated tiktok trend now or if this is just the end result of endless layoffs

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1664271081161764865

goddamn colins bear animation rear end video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kalli posted:

I don't know if this is a stylistic choice I'm simply too old to get or if sped up Xavier: Renegade Angel is like an AI generated tiktok trend now or if this is just the end result of endless layoffs

It looks like those various old Asian videos that used to get shared on these forums all the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kalli posted:

Jesus

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Kalli posted:

This is actually a step up from the animations they put together for Monday Night Football. ESPN may be operated mostly by interns at this point, but those interns are getting better!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

Reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV3CQSuxL50

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This is actually a step up from the animations they put together for Monday Night Football. ESPN may be operated mostly by interns at this point, but those interns are getting better!

That's an insult to interns. ESPN could just post "hey, would you like to animate for a Disney adjacent network?" and get infinite quality animators willing to work for peanuts/free for a chance to get noticed by the mouse.

It's some idiot boomer actually thinking that's good art direction. Like there's some old dude that hasn't seen a console past the N64 that thinks this is state of the art graphics that kids like.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Athletic has a fantastic read today about the job of interpreters for Asian MLB players

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/benjstrauss/status/1668260516588814339?s=46

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

2019: The Athletic is good because they have knowledgeable beat writers and no ads

2023: What the gently caress

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is Kalyn Kahler headed back to Defector?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yay new york times

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Forrest on Fire posted:

2019: The Athletic is good because they have knowledgeable beat writers and no ads

Just canceled my sub because of this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'll keep paying for the Athletic as long as they keep offering me re-ups at $2/month.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
i might use it at $2 a month. I click on it so rarely that with the $70 renewal coming I just decided to cancel, especially since the draft coverage just isn't what it used to be outside of the game theory podcast which I can get for free.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m not that familiar with this guy but I’m posting it because he says that they are completely eliminating their sports business coverage which is bullshit

https://twitter.com/kaplansportsbiz/status/1668279263269736448?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

General Dog posted:

I'll keep paying for the Athletic as long as they keep offering me re-ups at $2/month.

Yeah same. It's worth a couple bucks a month, but certainly not more than $5.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
lovely. i really enjoy richard deitch's stuff.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Forrest on Fire posted:

In 2019 they were running on investor capital and taking big losses in an attempt to grow market share. Which, as anyone who has watched VC gently caress up industry after industry, means things fall apart as soon as you're not pumping money into the company.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also rates for Web Advertising are loving dogshit except for stuff on tiktok.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

habeasdorkus posted:

In 2019 they were running on investor capital and taking big losses in an attempt to grow market share. Which, as anyone who has watched VC gently caress up industry after industry, means things fall apart as soon as you're not pumping money into the company.

I think everyone saw it coming, but it still kinda sucks that we were all right about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, laying off 20 out of like 500 staff doesn't seem out of line with what ESPN or anyone else is doing these days.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rick posted:

i might use it at $2 a month. I click on it so rarely that with the $70 renewal coming I just decided to cancel, especially since the draft coverage just isn't what it used to be outside of the game theory podcast which I can get for free.

Same. They had a promo in May for $9.99 for the year and I took it.

That or $2/month is fine for the occasional article I'll read. But since they more or less ditched the whole beat-writer aspect of the site, it doesn't have a ton of value to me. The whole lure of the site was they were using beat writers like the local papers used to.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It sucks for a lot of reasons but the quality of writing was hard to beat. My favorite mlb team still has a consistent beat writer but my favorite nba and nfl teams have sporadic coverage from admittedly good folks, but I’ve been lucky, probably.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
they said that a lot of it is that a lot of beats get minuscule pageviews compared to general assignment stuff. i wonder what the actual difference is between general NHL stories and like, coverage of the Hurricanes or something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

they said that a lot of it is that a lot of beats get minuscule pageviews compared to general assignment stuff. i wonder what the actual difference is between general NHL stories and like, coverage of the Hurricanes or something.

Apparently it's all about the NFL and NBA stories, MLB and NHL stuff is all just kind of tacked onto that, national or not.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I guess premier league stuff does very well for them also

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Wonder what Ethan Strauss is up to

https://twitter.com/CavinderHanna/status/1668754862195212288?s=20

On the other hand lol at seeing that one Bari Weiss ran that outlet and doing zero further research

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Ah we're doing the Anna Kournikova thing again 20 years later, history rhymes

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Wow, Ethan working for Bari Weiss. What a loving clown.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ethan Strauss did a Matt Taibbi speed run

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ethan Strauss did a Matt Taibbi speed run

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

some real "let them fight" vibes in this one

Defector: Bill Simmons Finds Himself In Row Across The Pond After Slagging Off Harry And Meghan

quote:

"I wish I had been involved in the ‘Meghan and Harry leave Spotify’ negotiation," Simmons said at the 18:46 mark of last week's episode. "The loving Grifters—that’s the podcast we should have launched with them. I gotta get drunk one night and tell the story of the Zoom I had with Harry to try and help him with a podcast idea. It’s one of my best stories … The Grifters." Honestly, some of Simmons's best work. He drops names and hints at insidery stories all the time, but since he has a nominal leadership role as Spotify's head of global sports content and since he griped about the ex-royals this past January on his podcast, his comments made waves.

Media outlets including Variety, Deadline, and the New York Post aggregated Simmons's comments, but so did a bunch of British tabloids. The Telegraph has covered the story, though the Daily Mail has squeezed every drop it can out of it. Anyone familiar with Simmons might find it funny to see how an entire media ecosystem, concerned with impenetrable gossip about the royal family, tries to explain his whole deal to readers. He gets described as a big-time Spotify executive, rather than a guy who sold his company and receives millions of dollars to flub reporting on the Phoenix Suns' search for a head coach.

The attention of the international media is how Simmons ended up with a paparazzo finding him in a Los Angeles parking lot and sticking a camera in his face. In prototypically breathless prose, the Daily Mail wrote that Simmons was "seen sauntering" through the garage in his first public appearance since the podcast, highlighted with four separate images of him looking stupid. The guy holding the camera repeatedly asked, "What happened on that podcast?" Simmons replied, "I'm on a business call." The score from The Social Network was added in, of course:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can't post the story about him being hounded by the British tabloids without posting the image of the century

There's a lot to unpack here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean, if the reporting about Harry and Meghan's issues with their podcast is remotely true, Simmons is actually right for once

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

Can't post the story about him being hounded by the British tabloids without posting the image of the century

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, if the reporting about Harry and Meghan's issues with their podcast is remotely true, Simmons is actually right for once

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

General Dog posted:

Well, Defector now has a replacement for that simmons_flapping_arms.gif they liked to use back in the day.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TFW mom walks in on u when you’re still on apex mountain

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I can't get mad about anyone calling out royals for the parasites they are.

Simmons is right, nobody should give a poo poo about what they have to say about anything and it's even funnier that they couldn't even be bothered to make a fake effort to create something worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Simmons is cryptically gossiping about coworkers not smashing the monarchy