Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Astryl posted:

“collect 69, bare rear end”

Now that would be a quest to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

latinotwink1997 posted:

Now that would be a quest to do

Until it doesn’t carry over and you have to do it 420 times

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If the renown bonuses carry over into seasons no one will be redoing renown any time soon. The exp/gold reward is paltry for time spent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

coelomate posted:

For context, the end game is all about dungeons and dungeons are all solo instances.

Rando assholes will be traveling and helltide/world boss events only and a minority of your time by end game.

Hey I'm really glad you posted this - I ended up giving it a shot and am completely loving the game.

I've only seen something like a dozen other players in 20 levels. This is worlds better than Immortal, where every important game element was swarmed like a Black Friday doorbuster.

It's a small price to pay to explode corpses in HD.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

SettingSun posted:

If the renown bonuses carry over into seasons no one will be redoing renown any time soon. The exp/gold reward is paltry for time spent.

There would be much gnashing of teeth/deserved outrage if they changed it from current behavior but I guess it's possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SettingSun posted:

It's not about the exp/gold, it's about those sweet skill points + 4 paragon. The couple hours you spend grinding out quests for max renown ends up being around the same time it takes to jump one full level once you're P70+.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I appreciate the whiplash of some of these quests. One day you're finding some ding dong's lost camel, and the next you're trying to get Andariel out of some girl's head.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It's not about the exp/gold, it's about those sweet skill points + 4 paragon. The couple hours you spend grinding out quests for max renown ends up being around the same time it takes to jump one full level once you're P70+.
Yeah, except the paragon points are a realm-wide bonus. Hence, if they do carry over ream-wide bonuses like we are talking about and hoping for, getting renown a second time is redundant.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I appreciate that the game mostly just pretends Diablo 3 never happened

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If you have to get those drat renown rewards again it will be obnoxious. You'd end up needing to get a bunch of statues again just for the renown anyway

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Yeah, except the paragon points are a realm-wide bonus. Hence, if they do carry over ream-wide bonuses like we are talking about and hoping for, getting renown a second time is redundant.

I’m sure they can easily add/change the max bonus for people who have already completed it once, like seasonal rewards in D3.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
the only thing we know for certain carries over: bonuses from the altars of lilith.

i don't think anything else has been talked about by the dev team

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, obviously if they change how it works right now, today, and make it so the points don't carry over, you'd probably want to get to at least level 3. If they do change it, there's going to be a lot of backlash. Like, a lot.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

the only thing we know for certain carries over: bonuses from the altars of lilith.

i don't think anything else has been talked about by the dev team

You can test this today by making an alt. All your points are there. It would be very strange if they changed it so only altars carried over but not renown skill/paragon points but again, it's possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

SettingSun posted:

Paragon points from the altars will carry over, but Team D4 has said nothing about renown, hence the consternation itt.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've been trying to dig a little more into the desync issue and I'm starting to think it's a client side bug. Something is tripping and just killing the game connection without dropping the main battle.net client connection since even in my disconnected mode I received whispers and challenge message from other players. It's affecting my PC but in the last week I don't recall having a desync on my Deck.

This is how it looks like one my end:

https://i.imgur.com/008k7zr.mp4

Game will be fine and then just... stop. Chat still works, everything else hangs. The game never realizes it's disconnected so it never attempts to reconnect. I've left there for 10+ minutes and nothing. If I try to leave the game (to rejoin) it'll take 20-30 seconds for the game to recognize that and go back to the character screen. Tried doing a helltide this morning and was disconnected 3 times, one within 30 seconds is login in. Ate enough cinders I gave up trying to finish a chest.

There's a few other people talking about this online but it doesnt seem to be a common issue which is really loving me up because god drat it makes the game unplayable (on PC).

I had a similar issue, game would lag out for a few seconds and then continue but voice chat and regular chat would become inaccessible. It would happen constantly like every 10-15 minutes. Upgraded my network card drivers (INTEL LAN Drivers) and it hasn't happened once since. ASUS ROG Strix motherboard.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Paragon points from the altars will carry over, but Team D4 has said nothing about renown, hence the consternation itt.

There are no paragon points from altars.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Kaddish posted:

Yes, obviously if they change how it works right now, today, and make it so the points don't carry over, you'd probably want to get to at least level 3. If they do change it, there's going to be a lot of backlash. Like, a lot.

You can test this today by making an alt. All your points are there. It would be very strange if they changed it so only altars carried over but not renown skill/paragon points but again, it's possible.

hmm i see. well i think we'll have to do them over at least once, during the first season. these characters are all in the eternal realm, so the stuff we've unlocked won't carry over to the seasonal realm.

i think we have to unlock poo poo again during season 1 and then it will carry over to future seasons

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

I guess I'll take your word for it. I've done like 100 of them and haven't seen it yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TjyvTompa posted:

I had a similar issue, game would lag out for a few seconds and then continue but voice chat and regular chat would become inaccessible. It would happen constantly like every 10-15 minutes. Upgraded my network card drivers (INTEL LAN Drivers) and it hasn't happened once since. ASUS ROG Strix motherboard.

Well I do have a ASUS ROG Strix motherboard (from like ‘18) so I’ll see if there’s anything to update there then try again. Played again during a break just now (on the steam deck) with no issues. Also found out that helltide cinders carry over between events? I logged out with like 70 from this morning helltide then logged back in on a different helltide and still had those cinders on me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I guess I'll take your word for it. I've done like 100 of them and haven't seen it yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kaddish posted:

It’s only 4 paragon total so I wouldn’t worry much about it. The rewards per statue are also fixed so if you only care about paragon points here you go:

1. Fields of Hatred, inside a cave, go up the small ridge and look to the right
2. Temple of Rot, in the northern corner of the Temple Grounds
3. Dindai Flats, east of the small puddles of the Brakish Pans
4. Chambatar Ridge, north of the small camp - you need to destroy the abandoned wagon to access the altar

Those are the 4 statues with the paragon point rewards.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I don't understand how that graphic addresses what you stated.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s only 4 paragon total so I wouldn’t worry much about it. The rewards per statue are also fixed so if you only care about paragon points here you go:

1. Fields of Hatred, inside a cave, go up the small ridge and look to the right
2. Temple of Rot, in the northern corner of the Temple Grounds
3. Dindai Flats, east of the small puddles of the Brakish Pans
4. Chambatar Ridge, north of the small camp - you need to destroy the abandoned wagon to access the altar

Those are the 4 statues with the paragon point rewards.

Ah, gotcha. I haven't gotten any of those evidently. I'm definitely gonna seek those out.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the social bits in d4/blizzard services are a different server compared to the game server, so having a desync issue on one and not the other is pretty common assuming your general network connection hasn't failed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I don't understand how that graphic addresses what you stated.

Oh I thought we were confusing renown rewards and statue rewards, I also didn't know that you could get paragon points straight from statutes. What happens if you aren't 50 and get one

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

zoux posted:

Oh I thought we were confusing renown rewards and statue rewards, I also didn't know that you could get paragon points straight from statutes. What happens if you aren't 50 and get one

you die irl

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

zoux posted:

just like now, you have the points but can't assign them until 50.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

It still says you got it but you won't actually get to use it until you unlock paragon boards.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I think we're saying the same thing. Needing to redo renown means I won't enjoy the season nearly as much because that's all annoying busywork not directly tied to murdering demons. Please let those bonuses carry over!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Your characters are currently in the "eternal" (or eternal HC) realm which is the standard base game realm characters go to when there's not a season running. The "realm" when a season starts is different than the eternal realm.

So far blizzard has definitively confirmed that Lilith altar bonuses will carry over from the eternal realm to the seasonal realm. They have not confirmed anything about the renown bonuses.

Now it would be great, and imo it would make sense, if renown bonuses similarly carried over. But since they haven't confirmed or clarified it there's a chance that they won't. And that's why people are worried about having to redo renown again. It's not just for the exp/gold part.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I'd also like if the map was entirely revealed when you skip campaign in seasons, even if you have to hoof it to the waypoints at least you'd have a reference to where everything is. Don't make us have a map up on a second monitor, the fewer external tools required the better.

Guillermus posted:

I'm sure this got asked before but thread moves quick.

Are altars of Lilith discovered account-wide? or are per character?

For a more detailed and less snarky answer: they are account wide but realm specific. Realm in this game currently means either softcore or hardcore, so if you do it all on one softcore character you will have them on all softcore characters going forwards, but not hardcore unless you also do it on a hardcore character.

The Altar rewards in particular (not their collection status in-game) have been clearly stated to carry over to new seasonal characters despite Seasons being their own pair of realms. This is why everybody is so confused about what will or won't have to be repeated every 3 months. Communicate, Blizz! It's not hard! You have community managers!

George H.W. oval office posted:

I appreciate the whiplash of some of these quests. One day you're finding some ding dong's lost camel, and the next you're trying to get Andariel out of some girl's head.

A handful of these feel like they were converted from cut campaign content, and are some of the better ones.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Clocks posted:

Your characters are currently in the "eternal" (or eternal HC) realm which is the standard base game realm characters go to when there's not a season running. The "realm" when a season starts is different than the eternal realm.

So far blizzard has definitively confirmed that Lilith altar bonuses will carry over from the eternal realm to the seasonal realm. They have not confirmed anything about the renown bonuses.

Now it would be great, and imo it would make sense, if renown bonuses similarly carried over. But since they haven't confirmed or clarified it there's a chance that they won't. And that's why people are worried about having to redo renown again. It's not just for the exp/gold part.

Yeah I think we can all agree if they make people re-do the renown grind every season it would suck real bad. It's such a bad decision that I'm choosing to be optimistic about it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Swilo posted:

For a more detailed and less snarky answer: they are account wide but realm specific. Realm in this game currently means either softcore or hardcore, so if you do it all on one softcore character you will have them on all softcore characters going forwards, but not hardcore unless you also do it on a hardcore character.

The Altar rewards in particular (not their collection status in-game) have been clearly stated to carry over to new seasonal characters despite Seasons being their own pair of realms. This is why everybody is so confused about what will or won't have to be repeated every 3 months. Communicate, Blizz! It's not hard! You have community managers!

Nice, I'll try to get them all before the first season, thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SettingSun posted:

I think we're saying the same thing. Needing to redo renown means I won't enjoy the season nearly as much because that's all annoying busywork not directly tied to murdering demons. Please let those bonuses carry over!
Doing some napkin math based on the numbers in that screenshot, doing all the strongholds and dungeons in a region should get you to 1500 renown without having to engage in any boring side quests or statue searching. Continue to murder demons. You’ll be fine.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, doing most of the side quests again would suck, there's actually a lot of cool bits in them but sitting through the dialogue would be exhausting.

I'm not sure I would even want to rerun all the dungeons to unlock my aspects again.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

The real answer is we don’t know, and it being blizzard means they’ll likely gently caress it up for season 1 and then change it from season 2 onwards due to community outrage.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Astryl posted:

The real answer is we don’t know, and it being blizzard means they’ll likely gently caress it up for season 1 and then change it from season 2 onwards due to community outrage.

that is fully what i'm expecting. it's how WoW has worked for many years.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

American McGay posted:

Doing some napkin math based on the numbers in that screenshot, doing all the strongholds and dungeons in a region should get you to 1500 renown without having to engage in any boring side quests or statue searching. Continue to murder demons. You’ll be fine.

Dungeons are boring. Doing them the first time for the checkmark is already tedious.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

I'm also willing to bet Seasons will have XP/renown boosts in the battlepass or even whatever the seasonal mechanic are that will smooth a bunch of this out.

Guess we'll find out in a week or so when they do that post-launch dev stream about the new season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like you just don’t enjoy Diablo 4 my dude.