Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ijyt posted:

Am I insane, is this just a UK thing, or are there like, no decent ITX boards for AM5? One of the largest retailers in the UK has just this:

I have the MSI MPG B650I Edge, I think it's pretty sweet. Why it's not available I have no idea.

It's still in stock where I bought it (but I'm in Denmark, so that doesn't help you). Maybe AM5 boards are just in shorter supply in the larger markets.

There's stock on Amazon, fwiw https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BDS84JWH/

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IMO all the (originally announced) AM5 ITX boards suck, and the prices are absurd.

But yeah that's the exact same selection we have in Switzerland :thunk:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yup, the AM5 itx board situation sucks and last I looked, the Intel side wasn't doing much better either.

When's chipsetless boards

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ah well oopsy. That sucks! I might just get the mATX Aorus and change my case out in that case, maaaan.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At least AM4 boards still exist here in case mine breaks before the next generation AM5 chipsets/CPUs launch :v:

Really curious what Gigabyte is doing, not selling their B650 board here.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

orcane posted:

Yeah if your plan is using modern CPUs unlimited or even overclocked, abandon the idea of getting a sandwich case. Coolers in the range of a Noctua L12S are decent but still not amazing at cooling those CPUs (definitely weaker than the D12L) and it will limit you to 2-slot cards again. Using it as a "Dan A4 with better CPU cooling" is a viable option but that doesn't help if you already have a 2.5+ slot GPU you want to stick in there.

I mean most of the sandwich cases support top mounted radiators, and 240 / 280 rads will handle a lot of CPU draw.

It's really air-cooling your CPU that you have to give up on if you want to go sandwich.

Although the terra specifically looks like it doesn't so you're kinda screwed if you want a big GPU and a CPU drawing more than like 65w in that case.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Isn't the amd 7800x3d really good power draw and perfect for a sff gaming PC (and kinda works in a Terra)? I haven't really checked some I'm slowly regretting how thirsty and hot the 13600k is especially since I haven't had the time to look into what settings to work on on my ASRock Mobo to undervolt and power limit nicely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think mobo companies were betting on the demise of SFF due to the size of graphics cards and the power draw (and therefore heat output) of modern stuff.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I like the fractal ridge, but not sure I'd like building in it :v:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I thought the whole point of PFF was the sadistic desire to buy overly expensive cases that are impossible to build in and functionally uncoolable, you guys are missing the whole point.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean many sff cases are very good for cooling, including sandwich layout cases. You just have to be aware that if you go sandwich and want to let your CPU draw a lot of power, it's probably going to need to be liquid cooled.

Stuff like the formd t1 and the meshlicious by all accounts cool very well when paired with aios or custom loops.

Fractal, by not supporting a top mount radiator has limited the CPU cooling in their case, but that's not a limitation for all sandwich cases.

If you want high end air cooling though you probably need to be using non sandwich cases, like the nr200 and the Dan c4, both of which can also cool very effectively on air when paired with something like the d12l.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ughhhh posted:

Isn't the amd 7800x3d really good power draw and perfect for a sff gaming PC (and kinda works in a Terra)? I haven't really checked some I'm slowly regretting how thirsty and hot the 13600k is especially since I haven't had the time to look into what settings to work on on my ASRock Mobo to undervolt and power limit nicely.

You can probably just set your motherboard to enforce a 65w long duration power limit and keep 95+% of your gaming performance, although you may lose more in stuff that scales well with core count like compiling, rendering etc.

Shouldn't take much more than like 5 minutes to Google, and if you're just power limiting you shouldn't even need to stability test.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Is there a big power/thermal difference between the 7800X3D and a 12900k?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Animal posted:

12900k is 135w+ cpu and runs warms, 7800x3d is basically a 65w cpu and is the best gaming cpu.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

12900k is 135w+ cpu and runs warms, 7800x3d is basically a 65w cpu and is the best gaming cpu.

Thinking of swapping, as I got my 12900k cheap thanks to a friend at Intel and can sell it and recoup the losses. What’s the best motherboard to go with AMD these days? I refuse to buy Gigabyte.

Last time I had AMD I was trying a 5900x and the ASUS B550 motherboard gave me all sorts of Ethernet disconnection problems, I also tried a B570 and the chipset fan was ridiculously loud and there was no way to tune it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Animal posted:

Thinking of swapping, as I got my 12900k cheap thanks to a friend at Intel and can sell it and recoup the losses. What’s the best motherboard to go with AMD these days? I refuse to buy Gigabyte.

Last time I had AMD I was trying a 5900x and the ASUS motherboard gave me all sorts of Ethernet disconnection problems.

MSI or ASrock seems to be the good ones, DO CHECK THE RAM COMPATIBILITY CHARTS FOR THE MB. run two sticks of ram and if you want to ramdisk your 35 gig modded rimworld game the 24/48 gig sticks are fine but run two sticks for best expo results.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

MSI or ASrock seems to be the good ones, DO CHECK THE RAM COMPATIBILITY CHARTS FOR THE MB. run two sticks of ram and if you want to ramdisk your 35 gig modded rimworld game the 24/48 gig sticks are fine but run two sticks for best expo results.

Looks like the MSI board uses Realtek LAN instead of Intel, so it may be the one to get. Never thought I’d ever try to avoid Intel in favor of Realtek, yet here we are.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Animal posted:

Looks like the MSI board uses Realtek LAN instead of Intel, so it may be the one to get. Never thought I’d ever try to avoid Intel in favor of Realtek, yet here we are.

also sk hynix ram is better liked them samsung.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Animal posted:

night and day (refer to chart at bottom of page: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/23.html)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

I already have 32GB of DDR5 that I spent way too much money on back in early 2022.

G.SKILL 32GB 16X2 D5 5600 RIP BLK

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wargames posted:

who uses sk hynix modules?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Wibla posted:

I like the fractal ridge, but not sure I'd like building in it :v:

I built in one recently as my first SFF build with a 5700x, Noctual L9a, and a 6950 XT Nitro+.

The GPU is right at the edge of too big for it and needs slim fans or no fans to fit. But everything else was generally very straightforward and I had no major issues building in it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Animal posted:

I already have 32GB of DDR5 that I spent way too much money on back in early 2022.

G.SKILL 32GB 16X2 D5 5600 RIP BLK

ijyt posted:

who uses sk hynix modules?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X670E-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support#mem

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So if it’s not on that list, there could be issues?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Animal posted:

So if it’s not on that list, there could be issues?

it shouldn't be but you probably won't get 6000mhz+

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

it shouldn't be but you probably won't get 6000mhz+

Ok. It’s gonna be a pain in the rear end finding a good 32GB pair that’s SK Hynix 6000 cl36 or less and is on that list AND fits on a SFF environment.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Animal posted:

Ok. It’s gonna be a pain in the rear end finding a good 32GB pair that’s SK Hynix 6000 cl36 or less and is on that list AND fits on a SFF environment.

you say that but on the msi list these exist for 32gig and 6000mhz https://www.newegg.com/oloy-64gb/p/N82E16820821550

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

you say that but on the msi list these exist for 32gig and 6000mhz https://www.newegg.com/oloy-64gb/p/N82E16820821550

Thanks, I was only looking at brands that I recognized.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wargames posted:

Ordered this stick of RAM along with the MSI B650I and the 7800X3D. Also another m.2 SSD and an NH-D12L, I’ll finally be free of SATA power and data cables.

I guess I’ll rebuild my old PC on the NCASE M1, the 12900k and 3080 will be together again, forever. I suppose I’ll sell it to a friend for cheap.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 13, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Where does one even go for CPU coolers? Newegg and Amazon seem to be a strikeout for the NH-L12S and Scythe Big Shuriken.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’m actually not too fond of the AIO’s and a dan a4 h20, sitting on my standing desk. It hums a lot even with fan curve. Mounting the computer underneath the desk is better for noise, but it runs hotter.

Air cooling in general lasts longer and is quieter. Anyone tried the new C4 yet? Should be fine with a 7900XT?

But I think my next build I’ll go MATX and SAMA 01 or really small matx case that’s borderline sff

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Wonton posted:

I’m actually not too fond of the AIO’s and a dan a4 h20, sitting on my standing desk. It hums a lot even with fan curve. Mounting the computer underneath the desk is better for noise, but it runs hotter.

Air cooling in general lasts longer and is quieter. Anyone tried the new C4 yet? Should be fine with a 7900XT?

But I think my next build I’ll go MATX and SAMA 01 or really small matx case that’s borderline sff

I have a C4, it’s awesome. It fits 4090 cards so I assume 7900XT is fine.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Wonton posted:

I mean the a4 only fits a 120mm rad unless you've modded it somehow - of course it sucks. That case is so small that your cooling is compromised no matter what you do. In order to match or exceed big air you really need 240+ of rad space.

I prefer air too, it's just water is gonna work better with sandwich layout.

For air-cooling, people are really positive on the c4 like mentioned above, and the nr200 is really good as well. Both are quite a bit larger than the a4, especially the nr200.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The collaboration project sold as the Lian-Li A4 H2O, which fits a 240mm radiator on top: https://lian-li.com/product/a4h2o/

E: That case is basically the production version of the original C4-SFX idea:

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 13, 2023

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Oh I'm dumb; surprised that's bad then, should at least perform on par with a decent tower cooler.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

Oh I'm dumb; surprised that's bad then, should at least perform on par with a decent tower cooler.

Not as dumb as me. Going from a 3.0 cable and buying another 4.0 and still have GPU issues. Oh and my asrock 570x itx don’t have front usb c headers, but it’s got thunderbolt!!!!!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Yo dudes, what’s the consensus about the fractal terra? Terra or C4 if I want air cooling? Terra looks pretty jazzy and probably more in stock compared with the C4 where it’s already sold out

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wonton posted:

Yo dudes, what’s the consensus about the fractal terra? Terra or C4 if I want air cooling? Terra looks pretty jazzy and probably more in stock compared with the C4 where it’s already sold out

C4 won't be coming back in stock at all. It was only available for the 4 weeks. Dancase is now working on a C4v2 that is effectively a different case.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ijyt posted:

C4 won't be coming back in stock at all. It was only available for the 4 weeks. Dancase is now working on a C4v2 that is effectively a different case.

lmao what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

Update:

Good news and bad news! The C4-SFX v1 is sold out. Nearly everyone that is on OcUK preorder will get a case. Caseking is now moving the last inventory to them.
Before you ask there will be not a second production run of the v1 !

I already startet my work on v2. I will change a lot of things so the v2 will be more like a C4-TWOt. I can show you more within the next two weeks. The v2 will be on preorder later this year and shipped early 2024.

He obviously underestimated the demand and the first production run is basically sold out now (I think CaseKing still has some in black) so that sucks if you didn't buy one since orders opened a month ago. On the other hand they're still boutique cases in fairly limited numbers and gaps in availability should have been expected.

Regarding the new version, he says he doesn't want to risk suppliers sitting on unsold V1 cases while the V2 is teased/sold, which happened with the earlier versions of the A4. The V2 will use the same layout and is roughly the same size so I don't really agree with "effectively a different case":

quote:

- same layout as the v1
- a tiny bit less in volume
- new look
- flat pack (much easier for shipping and much more economic) - like IKEA
- hardware compatibility increased
- extra kits to customize colors
The V2 preview looks like this: