Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Putty posted:

the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

last time we posted about the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti" a pedophile outed himself so who's to say if it's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

My Reddit feed is a mess of all these subs I’d totally forgotten about lol

imadethis
Jul 14, 2012

fuck off polisie car
Reddit users logging in to SA for the first time in a decade to immediately start posting in the reddit thread

(It’s me I’m the reddit user)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frogz posted:

I’m feeling quite lost as to how SA works as well,

Where did you get this idea that the forums "work"?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
rebdit

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

here is an SA pro-tip for any new or returning posters:

:justpost:

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

INTERVENTION! INTERVENTION!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

here is an SA pro-tip for any new or returning posters:

:justpost:

Is that an F1 forum/megathread?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Mighty Steed posted:

I love that the $10 registration fee has remained stubbornly inflation-proof for the last 20-odd years

One day, the price of a large (venti, tall, whatever the hell) coffee at Starbucks will rise to meet the price of a forums registration, and on that day, the forums renaissance shall begin

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
imho The moderation on Reddit isn't what people think it is. The largest subreddits are modded by the same 5-6 people, and then you have the literal Nazi mods who took over things like /r/canada. Even the /antiwrok mod they interviewed on Fox basically manipulated the system to get his mod rights.

Hobby Subreddits have become littered with "How do I do $BasicThing" or "which hard drive brand will play back my animes best?" You CANNOT escape any political posts as they will always leak into a sub. /r/Genx was doing OK with people posting memes, videos, just fun stuff. Then the "Man....you can't say THAT anymore" posts came in and it just turned into....Reddit.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is reddit actually going to... capitulate to the demands of its user base?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

My Reddit feed is a mess of all these subs I’d totally forgotten about lol

it is way worse than usual, that's for sure. Lots of bad default subs. All the "sex havers of reddit, how much sex are you having?" is in full swing still though.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Combat Scarf posted:

Is that an F1 forum/megathread?

the F1 thread is excellent, lot's of good proper posts and many good poo poo posts. i recommend live posting during races, it's always a fun time

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026034

unless you support ferrari :ferrari:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

HonorableTB posted:

probably but that's not a great look when you're whoring for an IPO, they'll probably do some kind of bullshit "we hear you" blah blah blah, and after the heat dies down

"We Hear, For You"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
welcome refugees please post and enjoy, Thanks

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

the F1 thread is excellent, lot's of good proper posts and many good poo poo posts. i recommend live posting during races, it's always a fun time

I personally appreciate not having to read 'we're checking' two out of every three posts.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
LOL the internet is gonna go back to a bunch of scattered BBS forums and IRC and raw HTML websites that are eternally under construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCzitO446ZY

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bluemillion posted:

LOL the internet is gonna go back to a bunch of scattered BBS forums and IRC and raw HTML websites that are eternally under construction.

hell yeah i'm gonna sign so many guestbooks

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Prolly not

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bluemillion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCzitO446ZY

Where’s my blink tags at?

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

INTERVENTION! INTERVENTION!

:thumbsup:

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

steinrokkan posted:

Where did you get this idea that the forums "work"?

Well, it's more in the ins and outs of how it’s structured, what people post, the inside jokes, abbreviations, etc. It is kind of a lot to take in at once. That, and the fact that I don’t want to gently caress up. Which, now that I think of it, is kinda stupid. Still, I’m glad I left Reddit behind for something new.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bluemillion posted:

We can only hope.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Bluemillion posted:

good

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

hell yeah i'm gonna sign so many guestbooks

Hey dude, can I add your page to my webring?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I was on a niche art hobby subreddit for like 10 years, where it went from like 700 users with a mix of experience to like 17k users, nearly none of them did the actual hobby, but thought it looked cool. So all the posts that filter to the top are the handful of insanely talented artists, most of who don't engage with the thread after they post their work, and any other post about the hobby is just buried and get no engagement. I don't go to reddit for that hobby anymore. That seems like the lifecycle of every subreddit.

Also there are a lot of boomers on reddit now compared to 10 years ago, like how Facebook is now a site for grandmas, reddit will probably be that in a few years. Somethingawful was never ubiquitous enough with young people to attract the elderly.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The Bananana posted:

The only time they flinched on big policy changes was when they tried to incorporate Merriam-Webster's second definition for racism into their content policy. And holy poo poo were they mad at that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Pro tip you can pretty much skip to the end of any of the long threads here and just read the last few pages and post and unless you're incredibly annoying nothing will happen to you except friendship 🙏

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

for real though old websites had so much character

take for example this legend

http://www.jiihootabs.arkku.net/

i used this website for the guys nofx guitar tabs over 20 years ago when i was first learning guitar. he's still going and it looks exactly the same as it did then.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

i used this website for the guys nofx guitar tabs over 20 years ago when i was first learning guitar. he's still going and it looks exactly the same as it did then.

It's beautiful. Reminds me of
https://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Uberlieder posted:

Reddit users logging in to SA for the first time in a decade to immediately start posting in the reddit thread

(It’s me I’m the reddit user)

We're all fiending

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Edit: it’s also a little more comfortable to post on Reddit because your comment is one of thousands and will basically be gone by tomorrow. Here it feels like you’re held to a higher level of scrutiny in a way. Which again is not a bad thing and it does lead to an overall higher average quality of content, but being self-reflective I’m sure that’s played a part.

I mean this is the most positive way possible: you were posting garbage on reddit without concern. Why stop now?

Frogz posted:

I’m feeling quite lost as to how SA works as well, but so far lurking here has been a blast. I’ve actually never used/posted on the forum at all. Always used Reddit. Then, when all the API stuff started happening, I kind of just had enough and started looking for something else.

The main difference between a message board and whatever reddit is, is that posts on message boards are weighted the same. Conversations continue regardless of a single epic post. On reddit, the replies self-sort by popularity, leading to a solved conversation after a few hours. Message board replies are better viewed as a discord chat, where you can choose to scroll up and read all the missed posts, or just read the last handful, or just not care at all and hop in at the end.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Frogz posted:

I’m feeling quite lost as to how SA works as well, but so far lurking here has been a blast. I’ve actually never used/posted on the forum at all. Always used Reddit. Then, when all the API stuff started happening, I kind of just had enough and started looking for something else.

I remembered a time when I was quite young; every sunday i would go over to my uncle and he would teach me how to paint miniatures, or we'd watch a movie on his laptop. There was always a SA tab opened up. Anywho; suddenly thought of that, and here we are with a brand new account. Got a lot to figure out, but slowly things will (hopefully) start to make sense.

You should make a post introducing yourself!

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Mother of God.

I forgot about that place. Get me some of that MXTabs and Jiihoo, I'm going to learn this song and put it up on Purevolume.

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Shania Twain posted:

I can't find a judo thread here

General grappling thread

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

AmbientParadox posted:

I mean this is the most positive way possible: you were posting garbage on reddit without concern. Why stop now?

In a bizarre way I care more about what random internet people I’ll never meet think about me here than there!

But I do plan to be around here more now. The official Reddit app is not enjoyable to use so I don’t really plan on using it and I need to waste time at work some place.

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

Vampire Panties posted:

You should make a post introducing yourself!

Thank you for this great piece of advice. But: if I’m right, and correct me if not, the rules imply that that would be quite unwise.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hello reddiotrs.

Go gently caress your selfs and welcome to gay hell

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, feels nice to be back here after something like 5 years. I remember that one funny goon called shmorky. Is he still around?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Frogz posted:

Thank you for this great piece of advice. But: if I’m right, and correct me if not, the rules imply that that would be quite unwise.

:kheldragar:

:ssh: It actually depends on which tag you use starting the thread. a couple of them are autobans :ssh:

also the awful forums use bbcode, which is like some dumb weird old version of HTML, and the smiley names make no sense :getin:

EDIT

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hello reddiotrs.

Go gently caress your selfs and welcome to gay hell

DOUBLE EDIT

:lol: they're called smilies because they predate the emoji idea by a lot

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

In a bizarre way I care more about what random internet people I’ll never meet think about me here than there!

Because if you make a bad post here you'll have someone spend minutes of their life telling you that your specific post gave them ball cancer. On reddit it takes less than a second to downvote a bad post and move on.