Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

It's an honour to be a guardsman and wear Full Dress.

You're also supposed to be able to rest every 15 minutes or so.

you know, any time an officer says that some assignment is an honor that's a sure sign that you should try to make yourself scarce asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

France has two kinds of marine, and so does Italy, which is funny in its own way.

:france:
Commandos Marine (Navy)

FWIW, my roomie's boyfriend many years ago was a French vet who had been to Bosnia and Afghanistan and he had the opinion that the Navy Commandos were just a ploy, that the name was there to attract the dumbest gamers with the promise of becoming SOF, but in reality they had the worst duties, patrolling quiet airbases and the like. Can't vouch for the truth value tho.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

motherfucker locked his knees I guarantee you

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dawncloack posted:

FWIW, my roomie's boyfriend many years ago was a French vet who had been to Bosnia and Afghanistan and he had the opinion that the Navy Commandos were just a ploy, that the name was there to attract the dumbest gamers with the promise of becoming SOF, but in reality they had the worst duties, patrolling quiet airbases and the like. Can't vouch for the truth value tho.

lol that rules.

Doesn't the USAF have a HSLD team that is... airfield gate guards?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Frosted Flake posted:

lol that rules.

Doesn't the USAF have a HSLD team that is... airfield gate guards?

No theyre not HSLD, they're just called Security Forces and abbreviated at SF which purposely makes them sound cooler than what they actually are (gate guards)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lol you mean (gamer voice) Pheonix Raven? uh, yeah, they’re basically SF

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

btw the problem isnt the vdv specifically it's that airborne, air assault, and amphibious warfare are all great ways to get a bunch of your own guys and war material smoked and giving them free-standing institutional clout is dumb and bad

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Dawncloack posted:

the name was there to attract the dumbest gamers with the promise of becoming SOF, but in reality they had the worst duties, patrolling quiet airbases and the like.

idk patrolling a quiet airbase sounds like one of the better jobs you could get stuck doing in the army

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

OutsideAngel posted:

idk patrolling a quiet airbase sounds like one of the better jobs you could get stuck doing in the army

I agree, but I can also see how a bunch of idiot 18yo (I repeat myself, I know) high on Call of Duty would see it differently.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

500excf type r posted:

No theyre not HSLD, they're just called Security Forces and abbreviated at SF which purposely makes them sound cooler than what they actually are (gate guards)

when my dad was in the airforce in the 80s-90s they were security police

they're literally just air force MPs, its just that on air bases the MPs are the only ones with any ongoing training in combat. he loved going on rants about how badly defended whatever air base we were stationed at was, how badly BLUFOR did in the latest exercise or when he was especially deranged how few men he'd need to destroy everything important

six1123
Jun 11, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The Oldest Man posted:

btw the problem isnt the vdv specifically it's that airborne, air assault, and amphibious warfare are all great ways to get a bunch of your own guys and war material smoked and giving them free-standing institutional clout is dumb and bad

Seems to work pretty well for Russia.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

atelier morgan posted:

they're literally just air force MPs, its just that on air bases the MPs are the only ones with any ongoing training in combat. he loved going on rants about how badly defended whatever air base we were stationed at was, how badly BLUFOR did in the latest exercise or when he was especially deranged how few men he'd need to destroy everything important

In 2012 a handful of Taliban set fire to about $200 million of American planes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ma i married a tuna posted:

So like two of them?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ma i married a tuna posted:

Say the line...

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
TALIBAN FTW!

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
https://youtu.be/0rAHrHd2lcw
Vdv has a good as hell song so I support them

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Say the line...

" It's a plane, Michael, what could it cost?"

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Slavvy posted:

Fulfilling their strategic function and achieving their tactical goal literally by the book = helping the enemy out

It's kind of like how the nazis really appreciated all those paratroopers dropping into Normandy, really helped them out

Exactly. 🇷🇺More than 200 servicemen of the Ivanovo Guards Airborne Unit landed in the Kostroma region

In this landing from Il-76MD aircraft, about 150 servicemen made their first parachute jump from heavy military transport aircraft.

After landing, the personnel assembled and worked out tactical tasks to capture the objects of a mock enemy.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/68426

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Cross-posting from Asia thread because lmao the article is a fun read

Homeless Friend posted:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1667160905778446338?cxt=HHwWhIC-xdiA-aIuAAAA

love these articles because they're simultaneous a little moment of clarity in the imperial view, looking at how they hollowed themselves, but also filled with hucksterism like saying Artificial Intelligence over and over lol

IMO in the absence of onshore manufacturing capacity, the Americans will be the first to turn to nukes (tactical or strategic) in a PRC-US war.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Jun 12, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A nordsteam styled mystery tactical nuke going off in Taipei, so the US can make EU join the sanction alliance. A Taiwanese political commentator has already discussed that scenario.

I keep going "too much online" and "insightful armchair strategist" on this guy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hubbert posted:

Cross-posting from Asia thread because lmao the article is a fun read

IMO in the absence of onshore manufacturing capacity, the Americans will be the first to turn to nukes (tactical or strategic) in a PRC-US war.

Well, since they planned to use them first in Central Europe during the Cold War, I don't think there's much doubt here as well.

Makes me wonder how they'll justify that to the western public.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, since they planned to use them first in Central Europe during the Cold War, I don't think there's much doubt here as well.

same thing as everything else, vaguely imply those are russian nuclear weapons going off and then refuse any further questions

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

I think the marines being a separate branch is a relic of early 20th century imperial adventurism. we’re not sending the army, we’re just landing a small detachment of marines.

*proceeds to roll up haiti and half of central america *

The Marines are really a relic of press ganging under monarchy. Marines role on a boat was to protect the officers from the men. The military has gone away from this line of thinking in modern times, but even in WW1 the naval officer handbook told you that all enlisted men were lazy liars and cheaters, and criminal to boot.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

A nordsteam styled mystery tactical nuke going off in Taipei, so the US can make EU join the sanction alliance. A Taiwanese political commentator has already discussed that scenario.

I keep going "too much online" and "insightful armchair strategist" on this guy.

john bradons gonna nuke the chip factory?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Simple, we will be informed that it's use nukes or chalk an L up on the board.

Americans would rather be evil monsters than losers.

This is the country full of people who thought we should nuke the middle east because 9/11.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fits my needs posted:

john bradons gonna nuke the chip factory?

Nah that would be too obvious, US politicians has repeatedly said they would bomb TSMC so even stupid brain washed European Congress people won't buy that China bomb them. You set off the tactical nuke on the Taipei 101. Why? because Asian Orcs are craaazy. *Cue Guardian article why the Chinese ccp are crazy. (also Politico article to remind people why defending Taiwan equal defending USD hegemony and the American way of life to keep the moderates in line)

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Jun 12, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Simple, we will be informed that it's use nukes or chalk an L up on the board.

Americans would rather be evil monsters than losers.

This is the country full of people who thought we should nuke the middle east because 9/11.

The PRC also has a large number of nuclear weapons, and Russia would probably join in if the US’ pants were down.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah mass drop airborne already had its heyday in the 40s and is dead. You can’t really do that when SAMs and manpads are on the table. You also can’t just appear on a shoreline one morning because of radar and NV. The surprise is gone.

Though calling them airborne is great for morale and esprit de corps I guess. I’ve heard VDV be described as latter day dragoons, which seems plausible, or at least a call back to the Crimean War lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

When it gets to nuke time i doubt the us will even bother making an excuse for it and I'd assume if they were nuking china they'd probably do russia, north korea, and maybe india/pakistan/iran at the same time

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

Back in the 80s they had a particularly deranged special forces team that would go do mock attacks on various bases to test their security, until the team decided to kidnap and torture a security guard for funsies and to show how easy it would be to torture info out of them. The officer responsible was eventually fired and jailed for, I want to say, embezzlement several years later which may or may not have been a pretext because he was, as I mentioned, particularly deranged.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

sullat posted:

Back in the 80s they had a particularly deranged special forces team that would go do mock attacks on various bases to test their security, until the team decided to kidnap and torture a security guard for funsies and to show how easy it would be to torture info out of them. The officer responsible was eventually fired and jailed for, I want to say, embezzlement several years later which may or may not have been a pretext because he was, as I mentioned, particularly deranged.

And then the guy involved went on to inspire some movies and even a particularly terrible video game where Mickey Rourke spends the entire game saying swears literally every other word :v:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/demolishing-dick-how-a-real-domestic-terrorist-spa-1899468/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I guess this is the more correct thread for it, but someone on Russian Telegram and blogosphere tried to start a panic about US nuclear submarine squadron deploying to the atlantic/baltic and something something decapitating nuclear first strike.

But I guess the actual war is boring enough that the couple of crazier posters picked upon it over the weekend, not that it's getting a lot of attention.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

I guess this is the more correct thread for it, but someone on Russian Telegram and blogosphere tried to start a panic about US nuclear submarine squadron deploying to the atlantic/baltic and something something decapitating nuclear first strike.

But I guess the actual war is boring enough that the couple of crazier posters picked upon it over the weekend, not that it's getting a lot of attention.

ive seen second hand reports of nuland describing july 11th as the start of ww3 during meetings. concerning,

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
gently caress yeah cant wait to lose

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

croup coughfield posted:

gently caress yeah cant wait to lose
As long as it doesn't go nuclear. The US would get its poo poo rocked in a conventional Taiwan war, but we still have a world-ending arsenal. The US brass is high enough on its own farts that I could see them discounting China's smaller arsenal and deciding that MAD doesn't apply.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Frosted Flake posted:

why would they have to, the western public will be fully on board by the time any missiles fly

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
If we nuke China then Douglas MacArthur can finally stop spinning in his grave.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The western public doesn't decide anything and their juvenile opinions like "I don't want to die in a nuclear war" explicitly do not matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

how does any military response handle the 'china makes all the things' problem?

does international shipping continue between two nations at war? do you just like, buy from proxies?

or is the assumption that a pro-US government will instantly form and take over easily and everything will basically be normal after a short disruption