Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/statu...ys-un-aid-chief

Tracks with what ISW and The Economist have been reporting as well. It looks like Ukraine has broken through the first layer of Russian defensive lines in the south. Russia is claiming to have successfully counter-attacked and retaken positions; however, this has been disputed by some Russian bloggers.

https://econ.st/3ClxtO1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

psydude posted:

Russia is claiming to have successfully counter-attacked and retaken positions; however, this has been disputed by some Russian bloggers.

They probably did retake some. An assault like this won't just be one effort on one axis, as that would make it too easy to concentrate fire against it. Instead, in addition to whatever are your main efforts, you also do a bunch of probes in a manner that's meant to make them indistinguishable from the main efforts. When/if those probes meet significant resistance, they won't get reinforced, instead the forces involved will retreat. To the defender, this looks like "my enemy attacked me, made some progress, but then I pushed them back and retook the ground".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mederlock posted:

Yeah I really don't see what's so surprising about Russia doing this purely out of spite and for the intentional purpose of terrorism and ecocide against Ukrainian civilians, agriculture, and industry. These are the people who are using rare cruise missiles to target schools, hospitals, malls, and residential areas. Like look at these bastards who are shelling and shooting at rescuers and fleeing civilians, and preventing civilians on their side from escaping the floods.

Punishing Ukraine for refusing to bend the knee is reason enough for these people

This is where I've ended up on the topic. Widespread immiseration and a humanitarian clus-tastro-gently caress is everything they want for Ukraine. Whether they got to their goal through malice or incompetence at the dam is immaterial, it's where they wanted to go.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

There's a couple minutes long clip of Russian kamikaze drones hitting maybe ten vehicles including Bradley's on Rybar International propaganda telegram. I wonder what kind of damage those do to armor. The drone has some kind of a coil visible on front and trucks and unarmored vehicles are filmed burned down after the hits.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sounds like the Russians got the coil gun upgrade

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

RFC2324 posted:

Sounds like the Russians got the coil gun upgrade

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1667522816927756292

Apparently the Russians moved their HQ a short while ago due to it being in a big public video, and the Ukrainians annihilated it anyway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1667662603579957248

Considering it's being reported by Rybar, who's usually a Russian forces cheerleader, that lends these news of Ukrainian advances a decent chance of being true.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
but have you not heard of the 3 dead leopards of the counterdefensive :smugbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alan Smithee posted:

but have you not heard of the 3 dead leopards of the counterdefensive :smugbert:
You mean the thirty dead Leopards, personally slain by Wagner heroes*?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

There's a couple minutes long clip of Russian kamikaze drones hitting maybe ten vehicles including Bradley's on Rybar International propaganda telegram. I wonder what kind of damage those do to armor. The drone has some kind of a coil visible on front and trucks and unarmored vehicles are filmed burned down after the hits.

Ukrainian drones have had the same thing. It's a rigged-up trigger that activates when the drone hits something and touches the two wires together.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1667903325226913792

:getin:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://t.me/info_zp/37890

quote:

In the Yakymivka settlement of the TOT of Zaporizhzhya region, the partisans of the city of Melitopol blew up a railway bridge - a logistical artery through which the enemy's anti-aircraft and anti-aircraft supplies were delivered from AR Crimea to the TOT of Zaporizhzhya region.

Thanks to the brave compatriots. I will definitely publish your names later.

Glory to Ukraine and its soldiers 🇺🇦

Apparently it was a partisan action, which is still rad.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PurpleXVI posted:

https://t.me/info_zp/37890

Apparently it was a partisan action, which is still rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYuSbfxI1ns

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1667978055946567680

Prigozhin has been pulling a lot of poo poo without consequences, I wonder if this is an attempt to rein him in or if he's just going to ignore it like usual, flip the MoD the bird and have nothing happen to him.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I can't imagine prigozhin accepting that and I can't imagine what leverage they have while trying to repel an offensive to compel that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I can't imagine prigozhin accepting that and I can't imagine what leverage they have while trying to repel an offensive to compel that

He's about to get a bullet, this is establishing the legal framework to absorb his men

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
He's taking officers in the actual military hostage. The guy already has an army at his back, all he has to do is turn it around. They're rattling sabers or they'd just kill him and conscript wagnerites on threat of death

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He's about to get a bullet, this is establishing the legal framework to absorb his men

this is how shoigu will establish his katamari damacy

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don't know why he would be getting one now as opposed to at an increasing multitude of points over the last year, particularly over the last few months. He's been in the kind of rivalries that usually leave you dead for many months now. note I'm not saying there's a lack of powerful parties interested in getting rid of him, rather I'm emphasizing that that has been a constant. I particularly do not know how they would accomplish it during a Ukrainian offensive. Seems like he'd need to actually already be dead for the effort to undermine wagner to actually work. A lot of the people in wagner are specifically there to not be a part of the regular russian military.

also if I had to put money on it, 20:1 odds he dies by explosion

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 11, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I don't know why he would be getting one now as opposed to at an increasing multitude of points over the last year, particularly over the last few months. He's been in the kind of rivalries that usually leave you dead for many months now.

also if I had to put money on it, 20:1 odds he dies by explosion

Yeah. And I don't disagree, but Russia has had this weird obsession of quasi-legality to the whole invasion, so seeing them take a step towards it makes me think they're pulling something.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
A bunch of companies in Russia formed PMCs over the winter and spring, likely depriving MOD of bodies. Combined with Wagner kidnapping and beating an MOD officer, I'm guessing we're about to see all of the Russian PMCs get folded into the MOD OOB.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah. And I don't disagree, but Russia has had this weird obsession of quasi-legality to the whole invasion, so seeing them take a step towards it makes me think they're pulling something.

yeah. it's bizarre because it seems like the move that would happen after they'd freshly gotten rid of him, not before and certainly not during the height of a ukrainian offensive, but I guess we'll see

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

yeah. it's bizarre because it seems like the move that would happen after they'd freshly gotten rid of him, not before and certainly not during the height of a ukrainian offensive, but I guess we'll see

One last chance to come into the fold?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Murgos posted:

maybe, but how is one supposed to distinguish the last chance from all the other posturing?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

tiaz posted:

maybe, but how is one supposed to distinguish the last chance from all the other posturing?

The difficulty of this is part of the incentive to take any given deal. You won't be told which chance is the last one, you'll just stop being alive when you miss it, so are you sure you want to press your luck?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Murgos posted:

Dedovschina is getting ridiculous

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
If a PMC refuses to follow orders is it still mutiny? The Russian MoD just has to stop sending Wagner money and supplies, not sure what Prigozhin can do about that.

It comes down to if Prigozhin's men are loyal enough to possibly face prison or being shot vs signing a contract and probably receiving a little less pay.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dick Ripple posted:

If a PMC refuses to follow orders is it still mutiny? The Russian MoD just has to stop sending Wagner money and supplies, not sure what Prigozhin can do about that.

Beat up another officer and steal their supplies, leave to africa, offer to hand themselves over to ukraine for immunity and a check for $texas.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

You mean the thirty dead Leopards, personally slain by Wagner heroes*?

I heard glorious president of motherland was so unafraid of decadent western homotanks that he personally went to The Ukraine, fished up all the leopards with his epic fishing rod. Then he wrestled all the tanks until they choked out. Then he high fived a Russian bear and to celebrate he drank all the vodka in Russia, twice!

[soiler]Then the painkillers wore off and he called to have his daiper changed.[/soiler]

I'd post my totally confirmed and legit sources, but it's against the thread rules so trust me bro!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lotta cope coming out of Russian circles right now about Ukraine only seizing the gray zone.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

thomas c has a tweet about an old german skele getting washed up from the flooding. there's a skull in the pic

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/aktroitsky/status/1668175162229895168

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1668186514973675520

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Machine translation rendered that as "exfoliation" and I was very confused until I read that explanation.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

psydude posted:

Lotta cope coming out of Russian circles right now about Ukraine only seizing the gray zone.

Good, they wrote lovely articles!!!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1668333571462033414

Wondering how much one of those Lancets would cost–maybe $1K each? The decoy looks like a truck chassis with some welded steel tubing and panels, probably a little more expensive. On the other hand, the chassis can probably be reused.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Suicide Watch posted:

Wondering how much one of those Lancets would cost–maybe $1K each? The decoy looks like a truck chassis with some welded steel tubing and panels, probably a little more expensive. On the other hand, the chassis can probably be reused.

That's a pretty good mock up, guessing it's cost benefit would be against an actual SPG not the cost to make the decoy.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
plus that whole "saving human lives" thing...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Plus the drone is suiciding a decoy and not people, which is nice. I'm sure someone in here has access to the underwriting tables and can tell us what that's worth.

SerthVarnee posted:

plus that whole "saving human lives" thing...
e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Suicide Watch posted:

I guarantee they're over $1k. 50kg of payload is approaching light sport aircraft levels, which is a nontrivial amount of engine and wingspan, and then you've got to have electronics for autonomous navigation and operator command and control, plus the high explosive itself.
frontierindia.com claims $20-40k, I have no idea how reliable they are. I think the realistic options are roughly the same as the clapped out truck with crap welded on (worth it) and more expensive than (VERY worth it).

e: my LSA numbers above were for the delta wing one, sorry. I stand by electronics+etc easily sailing past $1k though, and the comparison to the truck. frontierindia correctly identified the drone in question.