Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Heh, I just remembered Todd did a play on this thread’s title (and his Skyrim quote) - “see that moon, you can go there” or something to that effect

I clapped like a loving seal when he did that; I felt so smug for picking this thread title :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mokotow posted:

Heh, I just remembered Todd did a play on this thread’s title (and his Skyrim quote) - “see that moon, you can go there” or something to that effect

:lol: you're right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeLfMuX9ksw

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

wyoak posted:

on one hand seamlessly landing and taking off is cool the first few times you do it
on the other hand after about 10 times it gets pretty old so it's fine it's not there

The other part is that it would basically kill on foot exploration and any outdoor combat areas. You'd just fly laps around the planet looking for stuff and then vaporizing everything that moved on the surface. That certainly COULD be fun, but you have to recognize that it would be a decision that affects how the game plays out.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Within the lowered expectations of a Bethesda game this looks promising. Even if it has the same terrible writing and underwhelming skills from Skyrim/Fallout 4, their environmental artists are always good and the ship building + boarding seem fun.

Pretty curious to see this on a Steam Deck.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't hate that they didn't bother with things games like star citizen do well (taking off / landing on planets, atmospheric flight, land vehicles, etc).

So you land, the game generates stuff nearby, and you go do those things on foot. I think the real question is how repetitive that content will feel after 100+ hours. Abandoned mining base with pirates can only have so many layouts etc

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm also excited for ship boarding. It's what makes piracy fun!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Ugh PC parts need to get cheaper quick

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Skyrim and Fallout 4 were both good games at launch that became all time greats with mods, and I have no reason to think this is going to be any different.

I have to say though, whoever is writing these things needs help. I think Skyrim gets by just on being a fantasy game, but both Fallout 4 and Starfield are just so, so dull.

Like, Jarl Balgruf and Starfield Commander Person might both have the same writer making the same not so great dialogue, but when one has a veneer of fantasy land and the other is too-similar to the read world, the real-world one suffers for it. Absolutely none of the dialogue they showed off in the trailers landed well, and some of what downright bad. And unlike, say, the gun-play (which improved!), that poo poo's not getting better; not before launch, and not after patches.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BULBASAUR posted:

things games like star citizen do well

:crobear:

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023
I like all the single player BGS games, so I was in from the start, but wow that showing yesterday was beyond what I expected. The ship boarding and random space events look great. Also, having crew on the ship was nice to see. The combat looks much improved, seems on par with Cyberpunk combat which I think is pretty good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was gonna get this game regardless but yesterdays direct really got my hyped for it, there's just a lot of cool details and the ship building looks really neat. Sounds like planets will have full day/night cycles too? Some of the scenes standing on moons/planets and watching a sunrise look really fantastic, the lighting in this game looks great.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Mokotow posted:

He also did "hey there, you're finally awake".

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

my biggest question, apart from "will it collapse under the weight of all these game systems?" is whether or not wandering around in space will feel like wandering around an open world game with random encounters or things that will lead to other, bigger adventures. they're really talking up the exploration aspect, so i'm hoping that there's some real wild stuff that we haven't seen and it's not 1000 worlds of abandoned buildings.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

its not a very long list

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ash1138 posted:

my biggest question, apart from "will it collapse under the weight of all these game systems?" is whether or not wandering around in space will feel like wandering around an open world game with random encounters or things that will lead to other, bigger adventures. they're really talking up the exploration aspect, so i'm hoping that there's some real wild stuff that we haven't seen and it's not 1000 worlds of abandoned buildings.

Yeah. I am expecting to be disappointed, because procgen stuff has historically always ended up rapidly feeling samey, and I'm very concerned that it's all rapidly going to end up feeling too formulaic in terms of land on planet, walk for ten minutes, scanner pings, Another Settlement Abandoned Robotics Lab Needs Your Help Has Been Discovered

Buuuuut I have a tiny bit of hope. Not to get all 'playing the perfect game which exists in my brain', but... I can also imagine, if they have been clever with how they handled salting the hand-crafted quests among the vast procgen wilderness, that they might have managed to create a setup where it's actually worth setting down on Alpha IV-7886b: An Uninhabited Shithole With A Toxic Atmosphere because there is a good chance but not a certainty that it will have something genuinely interesting to find.

It's really going to come down to what the distribution of the hand-crafted content is like.
If you're guaranteed to find At Least One (1) Interesting Quest on every planet you land on, then it's going to make exploration feel pointless, because it'll have the same vibe as Oblivion's "Ah yes, the ancient lost ruins of the Ayleid are just down the road from the village past that hill, you can't miss them!"
On the other hand, if the proper quests are so few and far between that you have to spend hours scouring barren rockballs to find any, or if they're just too bland when you do find them, then it'll make exploration feel tedious instead, because there's only so many times you can get that sense of wonder from landing on a new world and discovering that it has Calcium, Iron, Morvium and Bilnak Roots.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have to say though, whoever is writing these things needs help. I think Skyrim gets by just on being a fantasy game, but both Fallout 4 and Starfield are just so, so dull.

Like, Jarl Balgruf and Starfield Commander Person might both have the same writer making the same not so great dialogue, but when one has a veneer of fantasy land and the other is too-similar to the read world, the real-world one suffers for it. Absolutely none of the dialogue they showed off in the trailers landed well, and some of what downright bad. And unlike, say, the gun-play (which improved!), that poo poo's not getting better; not before launch, and not after patches.

this is all true, but seems like an industry wide thing rather than a bethesda thing, or i guess multi industry since you see the same thing with big movie franchises as well.

there are rare exceptions, but it seems like the pattern for a decade+ has been to put a ton of production focus into background details, world building/lore, and side stories (which often are pretty tight and good on their own), but the overall game story has nothing to say, your character doesn't develop in any meaningful way, and if there are any emotional moments it's usually just a likable character dying to save you and the crew. i don't want to write off the world building stuff as unimportant, because it can be cool and enjoyable, but it's basically just infrastructure. all that stuff seems way over architected to support the anemic story that ends up being delivered.

not sure if it's just the nature of production at that scale with so many people involved, or a deliberate choice to keep things bland to stay accessible to the widest possible audience, or what, but it's been the trend now for a long time that smaller studios and indie games do much better crafting interesting and thought provoking stories and concepts.

i don't think there was enough in the demo to pass any judgement on starfield yet, but i'm not expecting to be surprised

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I am genuinely blown away that people are still "muh writing" these games in 2023

Fallout 2 came out 25 loving years ago people

It's time to admit that these aren't fanmade MUDs or something

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I didn't see a single HOTAS or HOSAS on any of the developer desks, so I'm not hopeful about that. :ohdear:

I still pre-ordered though, because it includes the first story expansion.

Bad Purchase posted:

upgrading from a spinning hdd makes a huge difference, but game load times don't vary that drastically between sata and pcie ssds, unless it's a really old ssd that isn't even maxing out sata's ~6 Gbps.

i made that switch a couple years back, and storage benchmarks are like 10x faster now but games still load at the same speed because past a certain point the bottleneck isn't getting data off the disk, it's processing it all
I don't know if Starfield will support it, but DirectStorage exists to take the compressed textures on an NVMe SSD, do inline decompression via DEFLATE using GPGPU processing, and send it directly to the graphics cards VRAM, instead of going through the system memory.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

The Titanic posted:

So it seemed like there was exploration, and mineral gathering, and a big "home base" kind of thing.

The demo showed fighting "pirates" so you'd have to assume pirates are stealing cargo hence why they are pirates... so I'd assume there's a sort of trade system in place.

Not sure how fun it will be, and I think they'll lock certain upgrades behind mining space rocks with a gun... but there's that.

You'll probably get some flavor of this but it'll be as fun as buying from the shop owner in some Skyrim town and then selling it to belethor or whatever. But maybe we'll be surprised.

I think the main game loop is centered around exploration rather than trade though.

from very early in the thread but this made me lol. gamers are their own worst enemy. Morrowind had Bandits and Merchants and Traders so we must naturally assume there was a robust trading economy in the game

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't hate that they didn't bother with things games like star citizen do well (taking off / landing on planets, atmospheric flight, land vehicles, etc).

So you land, the game generates stuff nearby, and you go do those things on foot. I think the real question is how repetitive that content will feel after 100+ hours. Abandoned mining base with pirates can only have so many layouts etc

I dunno "cave" and "barrow" kept me pretty entertained in Skyrim.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

I dunno "cave" and "barrow" kept me pretty entertained in Skyrim.

I think it's more of issue if it's instead of hand created content or your forced to interact with it. Like I don't have a problem with radiant quests if it's made clear that's what they are and it's just a side thing you can do if you want, but when it's something like with the minute men where it's more central to one of the main plot lines than it's a bit rubbish.

Personally I'd prefer less amount of stuff and more time put into a lesser number of thing. Like Skyrim has 197 "places that can be cleared". Like a smaller map with half as many, with more effort put in would of been fine. Having said that I spent around 50 hrs in Skyrim before I started to feel like I'd seen and done most of the stuff felt like i'd want to and I'm fine with that.

It sounds like when your exploring they're going to make it very clear which plants have the hand created stuff, and which ones are pro-gen gen with life, and which ones are just pro-gen geology, Which sounds great solution. Let the people who want to visit and play around in a whole bunch of pro-gen worlds do that, let people who don't avoid them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm rewatching the showcase from yesterday and i just love the ship parts so much, the aesthetic is so good and I just am so hyped for this, if it sucks I don't care gently caress you I'm a dumb rear end baby

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

We are all dumb assbabies here

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Excuse me, I'm a dumb assman.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
rear end Dumbman, first Starfield character

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i hope you can join the space snake cultists, i'm not sure i like the choice between being a fascist starfleet grunt or a libertarian space cowboy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I didn't see a single HOTAS or HOSAS on any of the developer desks, so I'm not hopeful about that. :ohdear:

I still pre-ordered though, because it includes the first story expansion.

I don't know if Starfield will support it, but DirectStorage exists to take the compressed textures on an NVMe SSD, do inline decompression via DEFLATE using GPGPU processing, and send it directly to the graphics cards VRAM, instead of going through the system memory.

yep, i’ve seen this and there are cases for bulk data loading that can benefit, but the overall effect is nowhere near the jump from spinning hd to ssd on overall load times, that was the main point. the jump to ssd will shave off 10s of seconds of load time for big modern games, the jump from sata to pcie with directstorage is more like 2 seconds overall in the few tests i’ve seen. it will get more significant as GPU ram capacity grows of course.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marktheando posted:

i hope you can join the space snake cultists, i'm not sure i like the choice between being a fascist starfleet grunt or a libertarian space cowboy

I'm pretty sure that was one of the traits you can start off with, growing up as one of their member of them.

Indoctrinated from birth in a snake cult, wooo! God I hope you get some fun unique dialogue choices with that one.

Edit: Just checked, yep there's three -mutually exclusive- religious traits you can chose to start off with, with serpents embrace being one.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/traits-best

Edit 2: The trait effect is a bit wild:
Serpent’s Embrace

You grew up worshiping the Great Serpent. Grav jumping provides a temporary boost to health and endurance, but health and endurance are lowered if you don’t continue jumping regularly – like an addiction. (Can’t be combined with any other religion trait.)

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 12, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's also the Raide- uh Space Pirates I guess. They seem like really deep guys

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

marktheando posted:

The showcase was such a tonal whiplash between 2001-esque awe-inspiring space vistas to punching Space Punks off of things to sweeping Star Trek music over shots of wonder and discovery to encountering the cult of snake people. Potentially great game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Really a spaceship is like a gigantic horse you can fly around in so I'm glad you can armour it the way you want without buying DLC (if there is spaceship part DLC I will buy it)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Like literally every other Bethesda game, how good Starfield is will be tied directly to how moddable it is and how good those mods ultimately turn out to be. Bethesda games have always been relatively bland, vanilla modding platforms.

Looking forward to trying out No Man's Fallout. I mean that genuinely, though. No Man's Sky is a neat concept but ultimately kind of boring after a couple hours. That framework but with an RPG-with-guns grafted over the top sounds like a legitimately good time.

edit: watching the new big 45 minute trailer now and whoa there's some atrocious voice acting haha wow.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 12, 2023

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

1glitch0 posted:

The showcase was such a tonal whiplash between 2001-esque awe-inspiring space vistas to punching Space Punks off of things to sweeping Star Trek music over shots of wonder and discovery to encountering the cult of snake people. Potentially great game.

potentially??!??

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
When gaming in general figures out how to use AI systems similar to ChatGPT etc, you can bet your arse Bethesda are going go be at the forefront of making a game with the most hilariously hosed up and broken iteration in the first game to use it. We're talking entire towns of NPCs doing the Oblivion procgen gossip but this time talking about an apple they watched the main character steal and then throw at a shopkeeper

"Greetings Skalbear, did you hear? Songbearer the warrior assaulted me with an apple. The apple was red. The apple hit me in the head! I feel conflicted about these events."

"Hello Marcius. It is morning. Greetings are used to begin conversations! It is an awful shame to waste an apple in such a way. Songbearer saved my cat, he is a hero."

"Skalbear apples are not weapons. A cat is a small mammal that do not eat apples, they are poisonous for cats! Your cat will die! Songbearer will kill your cat with an apple!"

500 coin bounty added for the murder of Skalbears' cat

(cats do not exist in the game)

"I'll kill you, Songbearer! Just like you killed my cat!" *draws sword*

*spins 360 degrees*

*sheathes sword*

"Greetings in the morning of today Songbearer. I am an apple. Please don't throw me into poison."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GreatGreen posted:

edit: watching the new big 45 minute trailer now and whoa there's some atrocious voice acting haha wow.

Whole lotta Preston Garvey rear end line reads

Do you think they told any of the actors what they were doing?

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Capped at 30fps on the X is kind of dookie. I'm still going to play this because game pass, but this is giving huge "mile wide, inch deep" vibes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

marktheando posted:

when it comes to weird pre-order bonuses, nothing will ever beat a vial of lord british's blood

I don't think anyone who pre-ordered that actually got his blood too. There were a bunch of pre-order / backer physical bonus items that never materialized, but Richard Garriot just sort of took everyone's money anyways and then disappeared.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

marshmallow creep posted:

Director: "Here are some lines completely without any context whatsoever. Please speak them into the mic while you read them for the first time. Maybe pretend you're not all that great at reading."

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Songbearer posted:

When gaming in general figures out how to use AI systems similar to ChatGPT etc, you can bet your arse Bethesda are going go be at the forefront of making a game with the most hilariously hosed up and broken iteration in the first game to use it. We're talking entire towns of NPCs doing the Oblivion procgen gossip but this time talking about an apple they watched the main character steal and then throw at a shopkeeper

"Greetings Skalbear, did you hear? Songbearer the warrior assaulted me with an apple. The apple was red. The apple hit me in the head! I feel conflicted about these events."

"Hello Marcius. It is morning. Greetings are used to begin conversations! It is an awful shame to waste an apple in such a way. Songbearer saved my cat, he is a hero."

"Skalbear apples are not weapons. A cat is a small mammal that do not eat apples, they are poisonous for cats! Your cat will die! Songbearer will kill your cat with an apple!"

500 coin bounty added for the murder of Skalbears' cat

(cats do not exist in the game)

"I'll kill you, Songbearer! Just like you killed my cat!" *draws sword*

*spins 360 degrees*

*sheathes sword*

"Greetings in the morning of today Songbearer. I am an apple. Please don't throw me into poison."

This sounds the same as it is now tbf

marshmallow creep posted:

The lady who reacts to the alien thing floating lol, amazing acting from a 2x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I'm pretty sure that was one of the traits you can start off with, growing up as one of their member of them.

Indoctrinated from birth in a snake cult, wooo! God I hope you get some fun unique dialogue choices with that one.

Edit: Just checked, yep there's three -mutually exclusive- religious traits you can chose to start off with, with serpents embrace being one.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/traits-best

Edit 2: The trait effect is a bit wild:
Serpent’s Embrace

You grew up worshiping the Great Serpent. Grav jumping provides a temporary boost to health and endurance, but health and endurance are lowered if you don’t continue jumping regularly – like an addiction. (Can’t be combined with any other religion trait.)

Yeah I know, they showed how you can use that trait to get past a snake patrol, but no word on if they are a proper quest giving faction you can side with like the space pirates or if they are just villains.